Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 67 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #991
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
Hi Mike, yeah we've actually talked about that "handshake" incident with Sabatini here before (I dug up the vid on youtube and put it up here). I think the general consensus is that while Steffi had her moments of unsportsmanship, in general she still conducted herself quite well for most of her career (she's had some bad losses where she remained very sportsmanlike after - I think some of her worst losses were in the French Open but she wasn't a sore loser in those matches).

She's had her bad days, but as some folks here have said, she's only been less-than-perfect in a few handshakes but she doesn't do that to diss her opponent or to disrespect them, and she doesn't speak ill of her opponents in post-match interviews.
Hi XTN,

I wasn't aware Steffi's handshake incident with Gabriela Sabatini had previously been discussed here, so thanks for letting me know. But I agree with you, for the most Steffi conducted herself with class and dignity. And as you stated, she never spoke badly about her opponents in post match interviews. In addition, Steffi never, ever tried to show her opponent up on court.

There was another incident involving Sabatini that occured in early 1991. Steffi was struggling with Sabatini at the time, and Sabatini had just defeated Steffi in the finals of a Florida tournament. After the match, Sabatini said Steffi was losing the confidence to be the number one ranked player. Do you recall this?. It was an odd statement from Sabatini, considering she never attained the number one ranking in the first place. In any event, I thought Sabatini's comment was in poor taste, and should not have been made. But what are your thoughts?. Steffi got the last laugh anyway, disposing of Sabatini later that year in the Wimbledon Final. From what I've heard, Steffi and Sabatini have become very good friends in recent years. Is this true?.

I'm a little hazy on the details, but didn't Steffi show complete class and grace toward Jana Novotna after the 1993 Wimbledon Final?. Steffi knew Jana was hurting, after Jana self destructed in the 3rd set. We all know Jana was being consoled by the duchess, but didn't Steffi also have some comforting words for Jana after the match?. Do you have any knowledge about that, XTN?.

Also, didn't Jana participate in Steffi's farewell tour in 1999?. I can't remember for sure, but if Jana was there, it was a nice gesture on her part returning the favor to Steffi after Wimbledon '93. Speaking about Jana, is she on a friendly basis with Steffi?. I believe Steffi played Jana and Sabatini a few years ago in exhibition matches. Can you confirm this?. From what I remember, Steffi beat Sabatini handily in an exhibition played in Germany?. But I can't recall what happened regarding Steffi's exhibition against Jana?.

Coming from a fellow Steffi fan, I would certainly appreciate any light you could shed on these questions, and I thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Mike
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #992
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Mike LOL I don't think I have the expertise to provide insight on all the questions you ask and so maybe some other Steffi fans can jump in to share their input. But I'll try to share my own thoughts:

re: Sabatini saying Steffi was losing confidence, I personally don't think it was meant to diss Steffi. I think it was just a fair assessmnet of Graf's game. Tennis fans were surely thinking and discussing Steffi's slump in the early 90s. I find it to be a similar comment given by someone who wins a match against an opponent who played poorly - sometimes you hear winning players say their opponents didn't play well and they were able to capitalize. I don't it's meant to disrespect the opponent.

re: Jana being consoled by Steffi after Wimbledon 93, I am not certain but I vaguely recall reading or hearing Steffi say something about feeling bad for Jana because she could understand what Jana must've been going through to lose like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Steffi tried to offer Jana some consolation, but probably not a lot either because I am sure Jana wouldn't have wanted to get the consolation from the person who defeated her, and I'm sure Steffi knew that.

re: Jana in Steffi's tour, I am not sure. I know that Steffi played some matches against Kimiko Date in Japan (I was lucky enough to watch one of their exhibition matches - it was played after the singles and doubles finals in the Toray Pan Pacific Open!). Steffi also played Jelena Dokic in New Zealand. Maybe someone else can offer more info on other exhibitions Steffi played.

re: the relationship between Steffi and Jana, I have no idea either. But I don't think there is any bad blood between the two of them and I would guess that if they ran into each other, there would be good words shared between them.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #993
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Whatever.

11 YEARS !
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #994
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25 View Post
Hi XTN,

There was another incident involving Sabatini that occured in early 1991. Steffi was struggling with Sabatini at the time, and Sabatini had just defeated Steffi in the finals of a Florida tournament. After the match, Sabatini said Steffi was losing the confidence to be the number one ranked player. Do you recall this?. It was an odd statement from Sabatini, considering she never attained the number one ranking in the first place. In any event, I thought Sabatini's comment was in poor taste, and should not have been made. But what are your thoughts?. Steffi got the last laugh anyway, disposing of Sabatini later that year in the Wimbledon Final. From what I've heard, Steffi and Sabatini have become very good friends in recent years. Is this true?.
Is this the one where Steffi made a bi***y comment after journalists reported her Gaby's statement , and said something like : "how does she(Sabatini) know what it's like to be the N°1 ?"
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #995
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Whatever.

11 YEARS !
djul, what do you mean by this?

Quote:
Is this the one where Steffi made a bi***y comment after journalists reported her Gaby's statement , and said something like : "how does she(Sabatini) know what it's like to be the N°1 ?"
Actually yes I do believe this is the one LOL I am sure there was a lot of tension between Steffi and Gaby in the early 90s LOL. Bit of a b****y comment from Steffi indeed LOL. At least we know that after all is said and done, Steffi and Gaby still remain friends, or at least respectful of each other that they would play exhibitions with each other. I mean, if there was any negavite feelings beetween them, I doubt that Steffi would've given a speech for Gaby when she was inducted into the HOF.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #996
country flag djul14

Quote:
Shame on you, today = Friday, August 13, 2010. Remember what happened on Firday, August 13, 1999 ?
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #997
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Doesn't Sabatini's inviting SMG to introduce her for the HofF induction indicate they are on excellent terms now?
Perhaps some useful perspective on the other would be that in the early 90s they were both the age of college girls - if you know any college girls, now, you'll know even the loveliest of them still has plenty of growing up to do. No reason pro tennis players any different. I would say they both conducted themselves very well in the very highly exposed to the public youths and grew up to be mature, thoughtful adults which is more than you can say about many other female pros. (Shriver quote included recently being one indication of that - so hilarious in how wrong she is too. How did she ever make this career on tv when she was and remains so clueless?)
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #998
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

Quote:
Whatever.

11 YEARS !
Quote:

Quote:
Shame on you, today = Friday, August 13, 2010. Remember what happened on Firday, August 13, 1999 ?
oh oh I know, Steffi retired
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #999
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

I think that Novotna was supposed to play Steffi in her farwell tour but Steffi fell from the stairs in Tokio and had to cancel it.

But Novotna said many times that Hingis was such a relaxing champ and Steffi was not and Hingis called her a true champion and Steffi didn't do that.
Novotna obvious had lots of Steffi issues. Probably deep inside she didn't feel like a true champion herself in 1997/1998 without a win (not a retirement) over her nemesis since 1992
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1000
country flag Mike25

Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light Mike25 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Mike LOL I don't think I have the expertise to provide insight on all the questions you ask and so maybe some other Steffi fans can jump in to share their input. But I'll try to share my own thoughts:

re: Sabatini saying Steffi was losing confidence, I personally don't think it was meant to diss Steffi. I think it was just a fair assessmnet of Graf's game. Tennis fans were surely thinking and discussing Steffi's slump in the early 90s. I find it to be a similar comment given by someone who wins a match against an opponent who played poorly - sometimes you hear winning players say their opponents didn't play well and they were able to capitalize. I don't it's meant to disrespect the opponent.

re: Jana being consoled by Steffi after Wimbledon 93, I am not certain but I vaguely recall reading or hearing Steffi say something about feeling bad for Jana because she could understand what Jana must've been going through to lose like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Steffi tried to offer Jana some consolation, but probably not a lot either because I am sure Jana wouldn't have wanted to get the consolation from the person who defeated her, and I'm sure Steffi knew that.

re: Jana in Steffi's tour, I am not sure. I know that Steffi played some matches against Kimiko Date in Japan (I was lucky enough to watch one of their exhibition matches - it was played after the singles and doubles finals in the Toray Pan Pacific Open!). Steffi also played Jelena Dokic in New Zealand. Maybe someone else can offer more info on other exhibitions Steffi played.

re: the relationship between Steffi and Jana, I have no idea either. But I don't think there is any bad blood between the two of them and I would guess that if they ran into each other, there would be good words shared between them.

Hi XTN,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and answering some of my questions. It was nice to hear your perspective on Steffi, and I appreciate your insight. That's pretty cool you got to see Steffi play Kimiko Date in an exhibition, as Kimiko was always one of my faves(after Steffi of course). By the way, did Steffi beat Kimiko?. How did both of them play?.

XTN, I was hoping to get your thoughts on a couple of Steffi's matches: the 1991 Wimbledon Final against Gabriela Sabatini, and the 1993 Wimbledon Final against Jana Novotna. I was a little young at the time those 2 matches were played, so my memory may be faulty. I would be grateful if you could provide some details, and answer some questions I have concerning those 2 matches.

In the '91 Wimbledon Final against Sabatini, what turned the match in Steffi's favor?. Is it true Sabatini served twice for the championship, but she was trying to spin in 60 mph serves, which Steffi pounced on?. If I remember right, Sabatini actually held a match point?. Is that true?. In your opinion, did Sabatini choke in that match, or did Steffi simply outplay Sabatini at the end?.

In the '93 Wimbledon Final against Jana, how badly did Jana choke?. In your opinion, was Steffi forcing Jana into unforced errors?. I believe Jana was something like 3 points from potential victory?. Is this true?. Also, didn't Jana actually serve for the title?.

Maybe Sabatini and Jana choked against Steffi, but Steffi had something to do with it. In other words, Steffi never seems to get enough credit for winning those 2 matches(IMO). How do you see it?.

Lastly, in your opinion, was Jana's choke worse than Sabatini's?. Or do you believe Sabatini choked worse than Jana?. And how do you draw your conclusion?.

Once again, I appreciate your time, and look forward to whatever insight you can provide on those questions?. Thank you, and have a great day!.

Best Regards,
Mike
Mike25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #1001
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

For the 11th year anniversary - the guys were playing a Masters in Cincinnati last week & the press asked all of them for the responses. Some nice ones:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_event...P+CHAMPIONSHIP

Here's the end of Agassi's - just bit his tongue in time. lol. It would have been more fun in the presser if he'd said something like "only what I know from making out with her on the beach in San Diego last week":-)
Q. How well do you know her personally?
ANDRE AGASSI: Not as well as -- not very well.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1002
country flag djul14

^^lol, I remember reading it, but it wasn't funny 11years ago It's like reading what he said after his win at the FO.

Mike, I am not XTN, but who cares
The Wimbledon 1991 final against Sbatini, as far as I remember, the match level wasn't really terrific from both sides. Lots of errors for ex, not really exciting to watch actually.
Sabatini served twice for the match, she for sure was probably nervous but she didn't commit awful unforced erros or something, but from 6-5 3rd set, suddenly Steffi made some totally outstanding points, that's why I will give 3 stars to this match, the last few games are worth

The 1993 final, Novotna simply choked, errors, poor serves, Steffi didn't have to level up her game at all.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #1003
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
For the 11th year anniversary - the guys were playing a Masters in Cincinnati last week & the press asked all of them for the responses. Some nice ones:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_event...P+CHAMPIONSHIP

Here's the end of Agassi's - just bit his tongue in time. lol. It would have been more fun in the presser if he'd said something like "only what I know from making out with her on the beach in San Diego last week":-)
Q. How well do you know her personally?
ANDRE AGASSI: Not as well as -- not very well.
haha... its like he wanted to say " not as well as I want to *rawr*"
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM   #1004
country flag XTN

Quote:
LOL sorry I thought it was in relation to what I just wrote! (I will now proceed to hide in shame... lol)
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #1005
country flag XTN

Quote:
By the way, did Steffi beat Kimiko?. How did both of them play?
I always had difficulty judging the quality of tennis while watching Steffi play because I'm always so nervous, but the quality of tennis was decent. Kimiko retired a few years before so I thought Steffi would blow past her but that didn't happen and Kimiko played really well. It went to a third set tie-break which Steffi won.

Quote:
In the '91 Wimbledon Final against Sabatini, what turned the match in Steffi's favor?. Is it true Sabatini served twice for the championship, but she was trying to spin in 60 mph serves, which Steffi pounced on?. If I remember right, Sabatini actually held a match point?. Is that true?. In your opinion, did Sabatini choke in that match, or did Steffi simply outplay Sabatini at the end?
I actually only got into tennis in 1993 and the pre-1993 matches I've seen were tapes matches I was able to get or borrow from other people. I haven't seen this match in its entirety so I can't say for sure. There is one point, however, that you can find on youtube - I believe this was a crucial point because it was 30-all and if Gaby won it, she would have had a match point on her serve. She had Steffi out of position and the point practically won but she just nudged her backhand volley somewhere mid court. If she moved it a bit further away she could have won it, and maybe against most players who don't have Steffi's athleticism she would've won that point. As it turns out, Steffi won that point (I think on a forehand winner) and the next to win the game. I wouldn't say it was a major choke - I guess it was just a mini one - but Steffi showed some serious courage and competitiveness to win that point.

Quote:
In the '93 Wimbledon Final against Jana, how badly did Jana choke?. In your opinion, was Steffi forcing Jana into unforced errors?. I believe Jana was something like 3 points from potential victory?. Is this true?. Also, didn't Jana actually serve for the title?.
This one was a real bad choke from Jana. Jana was a point away - on her serve - from going up 5-1 in the 3rd set but then her serve went off. She would miss her serve by meters. Steffi was not at her best in that match, but I don't think she had to do too much at that point other than to keep the ball in play. She did start playing better and she did hit some really good shots but this was really a bad choke from Jana.

Quote:
Maybe Sabatini and Jana choked against Steffi, but Steffi had something to do with it. In other words, Steffi never seems to get enough credit for winning those 2 matches(IMO). How do you see it?.

Lastly, in your opinion, was Jana's choke worse than Sabatini's?. Or do you believe Sabatini choked worse than Jana?. And how do you draw your conclusion?.
I don't think she wasn't given credit for the final against Sabatini. That match, if anything, proved just how much of a fighter Graf was. If she lost that match, it would've been her 6th in a row to Gaby, and it would mean that she would go the entire 1991 with no Grand Slam title. She fought hard and reaped the benefits in the end.

The Jana match however, even as a Steffi fan I will say that if Jana should've won that match if she kept her nerve.

Quote:
Once again, I appreciate your time, and look forward to whatever insight you can provide on those questions?.
No prob. I would suggest though that you raise questions that are open to everyone on the boards and not specifically to me lol. As mentioned, I'm not the biggest expert on Steffi Graf here and while I do like sharing my thoughts on Graf, a lot of other people have very good insights to share as well.