Ros - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM   #1
country flag silyaunWILLIAMS

silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of silyaunWILLIAMS has much to be proud of
Ros

There's this guy I play frequently at my tenis club. From the baseline (rallies) I win about 65% of the points, however, when I return his serve, my shot either goes out; into the net or an easy short ball for him.

Any tips or advice on how I can return effectively, yet consistently?
Advertisement

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ros

How does he serve? If you are better from the baseline, wouldn't it be better to stand really far just so you can get the ball in play? I do that against players I can beat from the baseline if they have a good serve, while I try to step in and take them on the rise if I know I have to take initiative right from the first shot.
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

The best advice I can give you is to always shorten your swing. Use a lot more of your wrist and try to redirect the power.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutiana View Post
The best advice I can give you is to always shorten your swing. Use a lot more of your wrist and try to redirect the power.
Yeah, deflection is the best method here.

The longer the backswing, you're just robbing yourself of time of the ball and will result in shank/mishits/being aced/being pissed off at your inability to return

Try and pick your spots too. It's kinda hard, but in matches you can begin to form patterns in your mind to where they're going to serve. It just gives you a bit more confidence mentally i find.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #5
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's this guy I play frequently at my tennis club.
you're probably not a good returner

Ev@!!!
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #6
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Hold your serve.

And you could just try blocking the serves back instead of swinging at them