"Rabitt"-The Wendy Turnbull Thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Rabitt"-The Wendy Turnbull Thread

Hi Louloubelle

My favorite Turnbull quote came from a match in 1977 (?) when she beat Virginia Wade in Atlanta.

By the sound of things Wendy and Virginia were having a post-match press conference side by side. Wade was making her excuses (something like "Wendy played well, but I was below form, etc).

Turnbull then piped up: (and I'm paraphrasing) "Virginia doesn't believe she should ever lose to anybody, including God"

Last edited by Rollo : Jan 28th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM   #32
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

I don't have the exact quote in front of me. But my favorite Turnbull quote was folliwng her upset win over Shriver in the US Open QF and Pam said that it was a shame for womens tennis because she (Pam) had a better shot at beating Martina. Wendy's reply was something to the affect of, "Actually I have a better shot at beating Martina because I'm still in the tournament."

Pam wrote about that incident in an article Tennis magazine did about "Tennis jerks." She admitted that she'd had some moments and that she cringed when she thought about what she said about Wendy. I also got the impression from Pam's book that she liked Wendy, but there was always a competitive tension between the two. Shriver vs. Turnbull was a pretty good, even though lesser known, rivalry.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Turnbull also had a way of turning the tables on Andrea Jaeger.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM   #34
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Also on Hana too. She showed that the US Open win in 1986 over Hana wasn't a fluke by beating her again the next January right before Hana won 2 tournaments including the Australian over Martina.

Wendy will always have a special place in my heart because in playing doubles with Hana for 3 years, she also became a good friend to her and helped her to understand contexts of questions and conversations better. Which is another reason why I love the picture of Hana, Betty, and Wendy on Wendy's website.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #35
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hi Louloubelle

My favorite Turnbull quote came from a match in 1977 (?) when she beat Virginia Wade in Atlanta.

By the sound of things Wendy and Virginia were having a post-match press copnference side by side. Wade was making her excuses (something like "Wendy played well, but I was below form, etc).

Turnbull then piped up: (and I'm paraphrasing) "Virginia doesn't believe she should ever lose to anybody, including God"

Hey Rollo Wendy certainly had a wicked sense of humour. I remember during a doubles win that herself and Chris Evert had, a reporter asked her which Lloyd she preferred to play doubles with, Chris or John. And Im paraphrasing too... I think Wendy said John because he's bum is better or something similar

HanaFanGA - Pam certainly said too much after that US match. She also said that Wendy won because she was just so lucky with net cords. Hana during that round also got stuck into Carling Bassett when she lost to her and said that because Carling is so rich, she can play without pressure.... I think the No. 3 and 4 players of that time were a bit insulted that they didnt get their god given right of being in the semi final.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #36
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently in an email conversation with Wendy so if anyone has a question they want me to ask her please let me know and I will see if Wendy will answer.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #37
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I am currently in an email conversation with Wendy so if anyone has a question they want me to ask her please let me know and I will see if Wendy will answer.
Wonderful TV!

I guess I would ask:

A) How did you get started?

B) Who were your tennis heroes-male or female?

C) The story of how you worked in a bank to save money for the tour is inspiring to me. How did you manage? did you ever think of giving up and packing it in?

Thanks TV
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #38
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Wendy had a proud history in Fed Cup - what was her best moment from that competition.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #39
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Wendy had a proud history in Fed Cup - what was her best moment from that competition.
A good question esp as she is after some Fed Cup footage from me. So I will pass that on to her and hopefully will get a reply in the next few days.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #40
louloubelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
A good question esp as she is after some Fed Cup footage from me. So I will pass that on to her and hopefully will get a reply in the next few days.
Excellent!
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #41
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ask

What was your favourite tournament/venue?
What was your favoutite match victory in singles and doubles?
Who was your favourite doubles partner?
Who would you have liked to play doubles with but never did?
Which players do you still keep in touch with?
If you could change one loss to a win - which loss would it be?

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #42
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

I would ask if she is able to live off her career earnings?
What are your memories of your US open win over Martina?
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #43
tennisvideos

OK I have sent the questions off to Wendy. There are a lot. Not sure if she will be keen to have her thoughts posted on the web but there is no harm in asking. I shall let you know if she is ok to answer.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #44
louloubelle

^ Thanks. Not that she'd probably want to answer this but I would love to know her thoughts of Tennis Australia particularly when she was forced out of her captaincy with the Fed Cup team. It was a double whammy as she then wasn't seen in the TV booth at the AO from that year on. Pity - she was always well aware of the goings-on on the tour and has very insightful comments.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #45
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
^ Thanks. Not that she'd probably want to answer this but I would love to know her thoughts of Tennis Australia particularly when she was forced out of her captaincy with the Fed Cup team. It was a double whammy as she then wasn't seen in the TV booth at the AO from that year on. Pity - she was always well aware of the goings-on on the tour and has very insightful comments.
I think Wendy might log into the site and answer questions directly as she asked me for the site details. That would be awesome to have another star from the past join us on our forum.