Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #46
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice
Re: Wake Forest head coach resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
July 23, 2010

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Chad Skorupka, who spent the past five seasons as the head women's tennis coach at Wake Forest, is resigning from his position, Director of Athletics Ron Wellman confirmed on Friday.

"We hate to see Chad go, as he did an outstanding job leading our women's tennis program," said Senior Associate Athletic Director Barbara Walker. "Chad always brought in outstanding student-athletes, and he leaves the program in great shape."

Skorupka came to Wake Forest after four seasons at the helm of the Yale women's tennis program. A former assistant coach with the Deacons, he led Wake to four NCAA Tournament appearances from 2006-09.

"I want to thank Ron Wellman and Barbara Walker for the opportunity to come back and coach at Wake Forest the past five years,' said Skorupka. "It has been a great experience for me, my family, and the fantastic student-athletes I was able to work with. I wish the team, Wake Forest, and all the the incredible people at Wake Forest all the best in the future."

Skorupka took over a Deacon program that hadn't posted a winning season in three years and immediately led it to a 14-10 record and the second round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament. He also led Wake Forest to the NCAA second round in 2007, garnering a program-best No. 14 national ranking along the way.

Skorupka led the Deacons to NCAA Tournament berths in 2008 and 2009 before failing to qualify last season.

Overall, Skorupka posted a 61-59 (.508) record in five seasons at Wake Forest and a 119-83 (.589) record in nine seasons as a head coach. In ACC play, Skorupka's teams went 23-32 (.418) and advanced to the ACC Tournament quarterfinals four times.

Skorupka also spent two seasons as assistant coach at Wake Forest from 1999-2001. He helped the Deacon women's tennis squad advance to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals in 2000.

Skorupka, a 1994 graduate of Penn State, began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant at his alma mater from 1996-99.

A national search for a replacement will begin immediately.
Not really surprising. The two women's tennis programs that were disappointing this year with good players were Wake Forest and TCU and both of the coaches left. Wake has been down now for a couple years.
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #47
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: Wake Forest head coach resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
Not really surprising. The two women's tennis programs that were disappointing this year with good players were Wake Forest and TCU and both of the coaches left. Wake has been down now for a couple years.
Same coach ran Yale downward right before he left for Wake. Also know he through a tizzy one year when Yale lost to LB... said Yale would never come back after they got waxed as I recall. Funny given budgets and Ivy vs "state school."

In both cases did ok to begin with given players but never a good recruiter it would appear.

You can't spell ch'EATERS without UCI 'EATERS
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #48
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Ivan Fernandez New Mexico St. new head coach

Vargas, Fernandez Take over Aggie Tennis

Courtesy: New Mexico State University
Release: 06/30/2010

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (June 30)-New Mexico State Athletics Director Dr. McKinley Boston didn’t have far to search for the new tennis coaches. Longtime tennis assistant coaches Carlos Vargas and Ivan Fernandez are tasked with leading the Aggies following Don Ball’s retirement.

Vargas becomes the new men’s head coach after he spent the previous 19 seasons as an assistant while Fernandez is in charge as the women’s head coach following his eighth season with the Aggies.

In addition to his coaching duties, Vargas serves as an instructor in the School of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance at NM State, and he gives lessons to Las Cruces area tennis players at the NM State Tennis Center.

Along with his coaching responsibilities, Fernandez continues to give private and group lessons and he has been charged with managing the day to day operations of the NM State Tennis Center.

“After nine years as an assistant coach, it’s great to get the opportunity to run my own program,” Fernandez said. “It’s a really exciting time, and I’m looking forward to this next endeavor.”

In 2010, the Aggie men were ranked for a school-record 11 weeks in the ITA national rankings, and they were ranked as high as No. 51. NM State advanced to the WAC Championship quarterfinals for fourth time in five seasons and concluded the season with an 11-8 record. The Aggies defeated three ranked teams including No. 42 Hawai’i, No. 57 New Mexico and No. 58 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Vargas has coached 13 different singles players to all-conference accolades and 10 of his doubles teams have received all-league honors. In 2009, he was named the ITA Mountain Region Assistant Coach of the Year.

Fernandez first began his career at NM State in the 2000-01 season and returned to Las Cruces in 2006, after a two-year absence.

In 2010, the Aggie women recorded their 19th-straight season with at least 10 victories. NM State finished the year with an 11-14 record that included a victory over Fresno State for the first time since joining the WAC. Sophia Marks was a second team All-WAC selection in singles. Marks along with Manon Sylvain were named second team All-WAC in doubles.

After his first three years with NM State from 2000-03, Fernandez spent the 2003-04 season as a women’s assistant coach and college instructor at Florida International in Miami, Fla. There he was responsible for the development of practice plans and conditioning routines for both in and offseason practices, in addition to his numerous other duties at FIU.

Following his stint at FIU, he was the assistant coach for the men’s team at East Tennessee State. That season he coached the Buccaneers to a 2005 Southern Conference Championship and a NCAA bid, following a perfect 13-0 conference record.

Fernandez is a Certified Tennis Professional with the United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA) and has been a member of the United States Professional Tennis Registry (USPTR) since 1995. He has been teaching tennis since 1990 and coaching in the collegiate ranks since 2000.

In addition to his coaching duties with the Aggies, he is Red Cross CPR and First Aid certified and has been a USRSA (United States Racquet Stringers Association) member since 2004.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology from St. Edward’s in Austin, Texas. Fernandez and his wife, Lausanne, reside in Las Cruces.

Last edited by gouci : Jul 26th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #49
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Ivan Fernandez New Mexico St. new head coach

Quote:
In addition to his coaching duties with the Aggies, he...has been a USRSA (United States Racquet Stringers Association) member since 2004.
Nice to know the new coach can string racquets!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #50
country flag tigertennis

tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

And he knows CPR! Who writes this stuff?!?!
tigertennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #51
country flag gouci

Southern Illinois Edwardsville new coach Jason Coomer

SIUE Tennis Serves Up New Leadership

Department Working On Future Assistant for Programs

July 22, 2010

EDWARDSVILLE, ILL. - Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Director of Athletics Dr. Brad Hewitt has announced a new leader for the Cougar women's and men's tennis programs. After the unexpected resignation of the previous coach and the critical time of his departure, Dr. Hewitt believes it is necessary to stabilize the program with an individual possessing not only significant tennis experience but also the understanding of and commitment to building a program for future Division I competition. Jason Coomer, SIUE Assistant Athletic Director for Sales and Marketing, will take over as the head coach for both programs.

"We are very pleased that Jason will be taking on this additional role in the department. His leadership will keep us on a clear path, and he will serve as an excellent mentor as we continue to play stronger schedules in Division I," Hewitt said. "Jason's demonstrated work ethic and commitment to the Department's future gives me great confidence that he will be successful in both roles."

Coomer was team captain of a very successful collegiate tennis program at the University of Southern Indiana where he earned a bachelor's in social science education in 2001. He also served as an assistant coach for the Screaming Eagles for a season, helping his alma mater to an appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

As a player, Coomer helped USI to back-to-back Great Lakes Valley Conference titles in 1999 and 2000, three straight regular season crowns from 1998 to 2000, and an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2000.

After earning a bachelor's degree from USI in 2001, he moved on to Ohio State University where he received a master's degree in sports management in 2003. During his tenure at OSU, Coomer served as the Assistant Director of Championships for the 2002 Big Ten Tennis Championships.

Coomer spent eight summers at the Wayland Academy Nike Tennis Camps working with junior players from around the country. He worked under the direction of United States Tennis Hall of Fame member John Powless.

Additionally, the department has spoken with several female tennis coaches with extensive Division I collegiate playing experience, and we are working to develop a second position to assist Coomer. It is our hope to bring this to fruition in the near future.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #52
country flag gouci

BYU head coach resigns

So McCall Jones must have transferred from BYU to UCLA to avoid appearances of nepotism from her older sister Lauren Jones Spencer.

PROVO, Utah (June 3, 2010) — BYU head women's tennis coach Joey Johnson today announced he is resigning his position at the University effective immediately to pursue other opportunities.

Johnson led BYU women’s tennis to a 2009-10 record of 9-13, finishing fourth in the Mountain West Conference at 5-3.

Prior to coming to BYU Johnson spent his professional career coaching and training top-level tennis players. From 2001-03 he trained on the ATP Pro Tour as a private coach. Johnson also spent four years as the Director of Tennis at Woodmoor Country Club in Monument, Colo., and three years at the Denver Tennis Club. Prior to that, he coached at several academies in the Southern California region. Johnson received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Liberal Arts from the University of Mississippi.

“We appreciate coach Johnson’s service to BYU,” said associate athletics director Janie Penfield. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Lauren Jones Spencer, who has been the assistant women’s coach for the past two seasons, has been named the interim head coach for the upcoming 2010-11 season.

Jones played tennis at BYU from 2003-07 where as a senior she was ranked No. 3 in the NCAA Central Region preseason polls. She and doubles partner Sofia Holden placed second in the Wilson/ITA Central-West Championships. She was undefeated at the 2007 MWC tournament and finished the season with a career-best singles record of 25-13, along with a 23-12 doubles record. She was named first-team All-Mountain West in both singles and doubles.

Last edited by gouci : Aug 17th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #53
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: BYU head coach resigns

Quote:
So McCall Jones must have transferred from BYU to UCLA to avoid appearances of nepotism from her older sister Lauren Jones Spencer.

PROVO, Utah (June 3, 2010) — BYU head women's tennis coach Joey Johnson today announced he is resigning his position at the University effective immediately to pursue other opportunities.

Johnson led BYU women’s tennis to a 2009-10 record of 9-13, finishing fourth in the Mountain West Conference at 5-3.

Prior to coming to BYU Johnson spent his professional career coaching and training top-level tennis players. From 2001-03 he trained on the ATP Pro Tour as a private coach. Johnson also spent four years as the Director of Tennis at Woodmoor Country Club in Monument, Colo., and three years at the Denver Tennis Club. Prior to that, he coached at several academies in the Southern California region. Johnson received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Liberal Arts from the University of Mississippi.

“We appreciate coach Johnson’s service to BYU,” said associate athletics director Janie Penfield. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Lauren Jones Spencer, who has been the assistant women’s coach for the past two seasons, has been named the interim head coach for the upcoming 2010-11 season.

Jones played tennis at BYU from 2003-07 where as a senior she was ranked No. 3 in the NCAA Central Region preseason polls. She and doubles partner Sofia Holden placed second in the Wilson/ITA Central-West Championships. She was undefeated at the 2007 MWC tournament and finished the season with a career-best singles record of 25-13, along with a 23-12 doubles record. She was named first-team All-Mountain West in both singles and doubles.
Yes and no. Lauren Jones Spencer is a former BYU player and obviously was the assistant coach before. Also, I believe that McCall's boyfriend may have just graduated from BYU (he is from Southern California) so a transfer to UCLA may also have been a move to be closer to her boyfriend. Also let's face it, she was way too good to be playing at BYU. I'm curious to see where they will be put her in the line-up.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #54
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
Yes and no. Lauren Jones Spencer is a former BYU player and obviously was the assistant coach before. Also, I believe that McCall's boyfriend may have just graduated from BYU (he is from Southern California) so a transfer to UCLA may also have been a move to be closer to her boyfriend. Also let's face it, she was way too good to be playing at BYU. I'm curious to see where they will be put her in the line-up.
She lost 0&1 in the first round of NCAA's. She wasn't too good for BYU.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #55
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

Tennisace how the hell do you know Jones' personal life
And Jones lost to Desirae Krawczyk in So Cal tourney for USO PO. But K is good, so

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #56
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
But she didn't lose to some random player, she lost to the 3rd seeded Maria Sanchez, so. There

(Was she a rare participant in NCAA for BYU? Dunno about that, though)

Additionally, Jones played with Price at WAATC last year. The team beat

REMYNSE/SCHNACK 8-4, and lost to Borsanyi/Broosova 7-9

So maybe she could contribute in doubles, filling Schnack's huge gap.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #57
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Let me clarify, although she was playing No. 1 singles for BYU I don't know how much her game was growing given the weaker competition BYU plays.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #58
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
Let me clarify, although she was playing No. 1 singles for BYU I don't know how much her game was growing given the weaker competition BYU plays.
Edit: Deleted post. Don't want to spend the time explaining myself

Last edited by Amalgamate : Aug 19th, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #59
country flag tigertennis

tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice tigertennis is just really nice

Quote:
But who really cares? It's not like she's anywhere near good enough to have a successful pro career.
Well by that logic then who really cares about any woman playing college tennis?
tigertennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #60
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertennis View Post
Well by that logic then who really cares about any woman playing college tennis?
Exactly.