Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #31
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

Old news, but the University of New Orleans is moving from D I to D III. I can't find anything tennis-specific. Assume it'll work like this:

Monday's appearance was also the final one for the women's basketball program in the SBC, as the school has announced it will withdraw from the league this summer and participate next year as a Division I independent with plans of transitioning to Division III.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #32
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

That explains why Kir Kemp (and her brother) left to go to GA State...DIII doesn't give athletic scholarships

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #33
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Joining just becoming D1 Cal State Bakersfield, D2 Cal Poly Pomona just cut mens and womens tennis also.

Budget carnage in the state of California continues.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM   #34
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Cal Poly Pomona (Div. 2) cuts tennis

Budget Crisis forces Cal Poly Pomona to cut men's and women's tennis

3/19/2010 1:01:40 PM

POMONA – Due to unprecedented cuts in state funding, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona announced today that it will cut the men’s and women’s intercollegiate tennis programs, effective with the 2010-11 academic year.

“While a number of very tough decisions lie ahead as we reconcile our budget challenges, the suspension of our tennis programs is particularly painful to me,” said President Michael Ortiz. “Our student-athletes, particularly in the tennis program, have come to represent the very best of what we do, both in the classroom and on the court. They maintain extraordinary GPA’s, lead many of our campus organizations, and serve extensively in our local communities. This action is reflective of the State Legislature’s inability to adequately fund higher education.”

Cal Poly Pomona took a $30.8-million dollar budget cut for the 2009-10 academic year, equating to about 20 percent of its total state allocation. The university will be forced to reduce its enrollment by an additional 2,000 students for next year to align the number of attendees with the available resources. California is currently projecting a budget deficit in excess of $20 billion.

“As one can imagine, this is an extremely difficult decision,’’ Director of Athletics Brian Swanson said. “The economic issues that have gripped our state have had a far-reaching impact and no one is immune. We are making this announcement now to provide those student-athletes the opportunity to further their experience at other institutions, should they desire to do so.’’

The affected teams will continue to compete through the completion of the current academic year. All student-athletes with remaining eligibility will have the option of transferring or continuing their education at Cal Poly Pomona. Affected scholarship student-athletes will continue to receive their athletic scholarships for the 2010–11 academic year, should they choose to remain at the university. Salaried coaches will remain on staff until the completion of their current contracts in June.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #35
country flag Embittered

Tennessee Tech suspends women's tennis
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM   #36
country flag Embittered

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story...Mrs0sXAEQ.cspx
The president of Cal State University Bakersfield reinstated three sports that were set to be dropped from the athletic roster next year due to budget cuts.

Wrestling, golf, tennis would be returning next year, said CSUB President Horace Mitchell during a news conference Tuesday.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #37
country flag form

It's not D1 but Cari Groce leaves D2 Cal State Los Angeles after one year (did decent job cleaning that program up... better look, better results)

and then CSULA downgrades position from full time astronimical 90K (job posting last summer) to part time 35-45K (on job posting right now)

Sign of the times.... my guess is they told her they were cutting it to PT and she bailed.

You can't spell ch'EATERS without UCI 'EATERS
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #38
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Middle Tennessee St. coach goes to Baylor

Former Middle Tennessee State head coach named BU assistant coach

June 30, 2010

WACO, Texas - Former All-American and all-SEC selection Alison Ojeda has been named an assistant coach of Baylor's women's tennis program head coach Joey Scrivano announced today. Ojeda spent the last five seasons as the head coach at Middle Tennessee State University.

"We are extremely excited to have Alison join our coaching staff, she brings a wealth of experience and enthusiasm to our program," Scrivano said. "Her positive attitude and vibrant personality are contagious and will be an asset to our team. I have a lot of respect for what she has done as a head coach at MTSU, taking that program to the next level. We're thrilled to have her join the Baylor Tennis family."

A former All-American and WTA player, Ojeda inherited an MTSU team with just two returning players in 2005, but brought the program back to the national rankings in 2010. Helping the Blue Raiders to their first winning season in six years, Ojeda led MTSU to an 11-10 record, while earning an ITA ranking of No. 75 after a 5-0 start. After winning 15 matches in her first two seasons, she led her team to nine wins in her third and fourth year at the helm.

"I am excited to become a part of Baylor's Athletic Department and look forward to being back in Texas," Ojeda said. "Joey and his players have done an exceptional job taking the Baylor Bears to the Elite Eight four of the last five years in the NCAA Tournament. Through the team's success, it is obvious the players respect and trust Joey as a leader and tennis coach."

Ojeda was an assistant coach at Alabama in 2005 and served two years at Texas A&M, earning the 2004 Southeast Region Assistant Coach of the Year honor. Alabama fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in 2005 and finished the year ranked 38th nationally. TAMU posted a 44-19 record during her two seasons in College Station, winning Big 12 regular season and tournament titles and making a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances, including reaching the Sweet 16 in 2003.

While at Texas A&M, Ojeda helped the Aggies finish the 2004 season ranked 16th in the nation. She also coached four All-Big 12 players and one All-American, Jessica Roland.

Ojeda spent eight months on the WTA tour in 2004 between her stops as an assistant at Texas A&M and Alabama. She also was the tournament founder and director for the College Station Open, a 64-player open level tournament, during her time as an Aggie. The San Antonio, Texas, native enjoyed a stellar playing career at the University of Tennessee, posting 102 singles and 100 doubles victories. She earned All-America honors in singles as a junior, was a four-time Academic All-SEC selection, and was voted the national recipient of the Arthur Ashe Jr. Humanitarian Award and Cissie B. Leary Leadership and Sportsmanship Award in 2002. The Cissie B. Leary Award is presented to someone who displays inspiring commitment and dedication to her team, enhancing the team's performance and exemplifying the spirit of college tennis. Ojeda was the Southeast Region winner of the Cissie B. Leary Award as a junior, as well.

Ojeda was also a three-time SEC Sportsmanship Award honoree. During her senior year, she helped captain UT's first-ever appearance in the NCAA Final Four. Ojeda finished her career ranked 26th in the country in singles and 59th in doubles. She finished ranked No. 23 in singles and No. 16 in doubles as a junior, making the NCAA Individual Championships in both events and leading UT to its first-ever SEC championship match appearance. The Lady Vols finished the year ranked No. 6 nationally, the team's first Top 10 final ranking in 25 years.

As a sophomore, she ended the year ranked 38th in singles and 21st in doubles, making her first NCAA Championships appearance in both singles and doubles. She posted a 47-22 combined mark as a freshman, picking up Tennessee's lone point in the NCAA Team Championship in a loss to Stanford.

Ojeda garnered First Team All-SEC honors in singles as a junior and Second Team accolades in doubles as a sophomore. She is one of only three players in Lady Vols history to post more than 100 victories in both singles and doubles.

Ojeda was a three-time all-state selection at Douglas MacArthur High School and registered a 2008 combined singles and doubles mark. She reached the finals of the state tournament as a senior before falling in the title match and also advanced to the state tourney as a sophomore and junior. She played in the Sugar Bowl Tournament and National Indoor Championships in 1996-97.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #39
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know Dianne Matias was assistant coach for UCI
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #40
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

TCU Coach Not Returning Next Year

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/w-ten...070310aaa.html
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM   #41
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

TCU's Dave Borelli moving back over from the men's team to the women's team. Keep an eye on TCU over the next few years. Borelli was a 7-time national championship coach at USC and had the TCU women's team up to #15 in the country before he jumped over to try his hand as a men's coach.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/w-ten...072110aaa.html
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:02 PM   #42
country flag Embittered

Article about SDSU.
Quote:
The recent cuts came in nonrevenue sports that already had been trying to get by with small staffs and budgets. For example, both men’s and women’s tennis programs at SDSU had a full-time coaching staff of two: a head coach and full-time assistant coach. This week both assistant coaches, Ryan Redondo and Lindsey Gamp, were told their contracts weren’t being renewed.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #43
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
Article about SDSU.
The divide between the BCS schools and the other football schools is widening also.

I do not think there are many non football schools (if any) with a full time assistant. Most have a 1/4 or 1/2 part time asst at best... and some have head coaches running both genders to save money.

Sadly college tennis is about as non-revenue as it gets. Fairly cheap to run but non revenue so when they go looking for cuts there is little defense to offset the problem. This reality is likely to spread.

What drives me nuts is how tennis programs need asst's but golf teams have the same or more. They don't hit the ball back and 99% are not even teaching pros. Ok, maybe you need someone to help during a tournament but they only play 8 tournies a year. Tennis coaches actually are on court 3-4 hours per day every day HITTING THE BALL. Golf coaches are a joke.

You can't spell ch'EATERS without UCI 'EATERS
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #44
country flag gouci

Wake Forest head coach resigns

July 23, 2010

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Chad Skorupka, who spent the past five seasons as the head women's tennis coach at Wake Forest, is resigning from his position, Director of Athletics Ron Wellman confirmed on Friday.

"We hate to see Chad go, as he did an outstanding job leading our women's tennis program," said Senior Associate Athletic Director Barbara Walker. "Chad always brought in outstanding student-athletes, and he leaves the program in great shape."

Skorupka came to Wake Forest after four seasons at the helm of the Yale women's tennis program. A former assistant coach with the Deacons, he led Wake to four NCAA Tournament appearances from 2006-09.

"I want to thank Ron Wellman and Barbara Walker for the opportunity to come back and coach at Wake Forest the past five years,' said Skorupka. "It has been a great experience for me, my family, and the fantastic student-athletes I was able to work with. I wish the team, Wake Forest, and all the the incredible people at Wake Forest all the best in the future."

Skorupka took over a Deacon program that hadn't posted a winning season in three years and immediately led it to a 14-10 record and the second round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament. He also led Wake Forest to the NCAA second round in 2007, garnering a program-best No. 14 national ranking along the way.

Skorupka led the Deacons to NCAA Tournament berths in 2008 and 2009 before failing to qualify last season.

Overall, Skorupka posted a 61-59 (.508) record in five seasons at Wake Forest and a 119-83 (.589) record in nine seasons as a head coach. In ACC play, Skorupka's teams went 23-32 (.418) and advanced to the ACC Tournament quarterfinals four times.

Skorupka also spent two seasons as assistant coach at Wake Forest from 1999-2001. He helped the Deacon women's tennis squad advance to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals in 2000.

Skorupka, a 1994 graduate of Penn State, began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant at his alma mater from 1996-99.

A national search for a replacement will begin immediately.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #45
country flag gouci

Re: Wake Forest head coach resigns

johnnytennis what do you want to say?