Losing confidence in one of your shots - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #31
country flag .Andrew.

.Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute .Andrew. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Losing confidence in one of your shots

Happens with my backhand sometimes. When I get tight, I hit it very restrained with hardly any takeback instead of hitting through the ball resulting in some shanky, short backhand waiting to be attacked.

Best advice I can give, is when things start going wrong, always go back to the basics. Seems really obvious, but my coach tries to tell me this all the time because when things start going wrong I either try to do too much, or too little () but once you remind yourself of the fundamentals of the stroke, you'll be fine.
.Andrew. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #32
country flag Caillou

Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future Caillou has a brilliant future

Just letting everyone know, it's pretty much back to normal. I found that focusing on moving my feet, watching the ball and making sure my shoulder was turned (as opposed to open stance) helped me a lot. Thanks for everyone's help and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this! Reassuring to say the least. Hope you guys get that confidence back, it's sooo vital in tennis

Welcome Back Kimmy!
Caillou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #33
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute

Losing confidence in everything?

I'm thinking of quitting all together if I keep playing the way I did yesterday.
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:07 AM   #34
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

See, playing like Ivanovic, but never really having the shaky backhand, it's starting to land very short and it used to be my best shot. Now it's just ok-ish. I say 1) try and think about what you're technique is like. If it's something that can be adjusted, then I would say bring it up in lessons or with people who are watching you play. 2) If it feels mental, then you should go ahead and try and think more positively and manufacture confidence in the shot. 3) Go for that shot more...the more you use it, the more success can come of it. 4) Relax....your game can go through patches of rough times. It'll always turn out okay
The Upstarts: Muguruza, Garcia
The Legends: Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:07 AM   #35
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillou View Post
Just letting everyone know, it's pretty much back to normal. I found that focusing on moving my feet, watching the ball and making sure my shoulder was turned (as opposed to open stance) helped me a lot. Thanks for everyone's help and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this! Reassuring to say the least. Hope you guys get that confidence back, it's sooo vital in tennis
Shoulder turn isn't exclusive to closed or semi-open stances. Even completely open stances need a shoulder turn.
The Upstarts: Muguruza, Garcia
The Legends: Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #36
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafanovic View Post
Losing confidence in everything?

I'm thinking of quitting all together if I keep playing the way I did yesterday.
You're not going to quit. You CAN'T quit. You're addicted to tennis, just like Eldrick T. Woods is addicted to skanky women.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #37
country flag Shafanovic.
#claypova

Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute Shafanovic. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
You're not going to quit. You CAN'T quit. You're addicted to tennis, just like Eldrick T. Woods is addicted to skanky women.
not quit. i meant take a few months break. don't touch a tennis racket or anything. and yeah i think i might do that. maybe it'll make me study more.
Shafanovic. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #38
country flag kickserve

kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all kickserve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillou View Post
Hey guys, recently, I have really been struggling to hit my two handed backhand. Prior to this, I had a very good two handeder that I could hit with depth, power and accuracy. Now when I go to hit a backhand, it's almost like mentally I can't do it. My brain almost stops me from swinging normally and I hit it up on it and it lands quite long. Has anyone experienced this or at least know what the heck I'm talking about? It's worse when I get a ball with no pace on it, when I have time to think about it, I can't even force myself to swing through and hit a clean backhand. Can anyone relate to this and help me??

Thanks in advance.
Always check your footwork. When you mess up your stroke, the tendency is to look at your swing first. You should check your footwork first and make sure that it is .
Do you split step, start your unit turn with your outside foot and step into the shot with a closed to neutral stance?

Problem with no pace balls is symptomatic of bad footwork. You aren't getting yourself into position and using your body weight to generate your own pace and hit through the ball.

No pace balls/sitters should be your bread and butter. This is what you are trying to get your opponent to cough up.
kickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM   #39
country flag sunset

sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future sunset has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboza View Post
Wow, this happened to me exactly. I used to be more consistent with my backhand than forehand. After a few years, I think my backhand shot is declining. I see two immediate problems: one, my grip is turned too "close" making the racket head not "open", thus my backhand shots hit the net A LOT; two, my stance and footwork aren't excellent so I end up getting too close to the ball when hitting my backhand -- so much so that I'd have to hit slice backhand shots which displeases me. Balls that land low and way in the court - as opposed to the baseline - give me great difficulty as you feel you have to put away the shot, just like you see on TV. However, like you mentioned, you have a lot of time to come in, creating for more choices and hence pressure to execute.

I'd say practice is the key to changing bad habits. I know it's difficult especially when you don't have a lot of time on your hands.

Very true. It helps to take lessons at that point and let someone look at it from the outside. All you may need is a little tune up.
sunset is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote