junri namigata cheering thread - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #196
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future
Re: junri namigata cheering thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANADA8 View Post
I have to question the mentality of the Japanese players. Surely the whole point of playing tennis is to get your ranking up so that you can play in Grandslams/big tournaments? After failing to qualify for the French Open, why don't the likes of Junri and Tomoko travel to England and play in Nottingham, Birmingham and Eastbourne?
Their ranking would have given them direct entry into Nottingham and they would have been high enough to get into the Birmingham qualies and they would have got useful practice on grass prior to Wimbledon qualies. Yet they chose to fly back to Japan to play in a ITF event on carpet!!?!!!
Ironically a couple of years ago when a Japanese player upset a seed at Wimbledon, Pat Cash said he thought Japanese girls would do better at Wimbledon than they had, as they hit the ball flat with little top spin, so their shots are more effective on the grass.
I think you have to question the wisdom of their Federation when the only top players they have is a Kumiko Date who is'nt getting any younger and Ayumi Morita who's career has stalled and seems to be stuck around 60 to 80 in the rankings!
Federation has nothing or little to do with the development of the players.

Each player is responsible for her own development, club, coach, etc

I definitely agree on the scheduling part. Kurumi Nara has definitely played a shitty schedule. With better scheduling, she could be closer to the Top 100...
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #197
country flag CANADA8

CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice

I agree that the Federation isn't responsible for a player's decisions but it seems that the Japanese Federation have'nt done enough to develop the game in their country as much as say China, who brought in top foreign coaches or France where there are academies that take the most promissing school kids and develop their games.
When I go to Japan, which I do a few times each year, I'm struck by how popular the game is with girls compared to here in the UK. Almost every Japanese girl I talk to was a member of their schools tennis team and the clubs I visit are always packed!
The top players have club matches where big corporations sponser teams, so perhaps they need to feel less comfortable at home and try to push their games in foreign enviroments, on different surfaces. Also I question the fact that all players seem to have a coach who has done nothing themselves as a player is a problem (not just in Japan but here in the UK where low ranked players who acheived nothing, finish their careers and go straight into coaching!?)
CANADA8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #198
country flag Carotastrophe

Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future

Junri not in wimbly q
M. Sharapova-D. Gavrilova-S. Stosur-Sun-Ling-Kai Chen
Carotastrophe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #199
country flag andrewC

andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future

13 Doubles Titles (including 2004 Olympic Gold and 2008 AO Mixed)
Career High 77 (Singles) and 16 (Doubles)
andrewC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #200
country flag martin white

martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of

i think Junri is playing wimby qualies,She is on the list for qualies in wimby thread....good luck Junri
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #201

Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future

Wow.. i barely know all these players, Kururmi and Misaki made spotlights in RG but has Rika and Juri played a Slam?
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #202

martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of martin white has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyhernich View Post
Wow.. i barely know all these players, Kururmi and Misaki made spotlights in RG but has Rika and Juri played a Slam?
yes rika is a veteran,she is 29 or so now,she played the md in usopen 05 i think,She was in top100 in 05,she beat Schiavone that year,she has played heaps on gs qualies.Junri hasn't ever qualified for the md of a slam but she made 3rd qualies us open 06 i think...Junri veteran too 27,has been around for few years now,Kurumi and Misaki and the hopes for the future of womens tennis in japan,both playing well,RG was great
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #203

Thanks for the info! Yeah.. might not have been this interested in tennis at that time so yeah. Its good to see that Japan has some veterans and some very young rising stars, namely Misaki and Kurumi.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #204
country flag CANADA8

CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice CANADA8 is just really nice

Yep, CANADA8 eats a large helping of humble pie and begs your forgiveness!!
Junri did indeed play and performed SO WELL!
I went everyday of the qualifying event. Junri's first round match was a real ding dong battle. She started on fire, racing into a 4-1 over Pliskova, before winning it 6-2. She was holding serve easily in the second, when at 4-5 she threw in 2 double faults and in a sec it was one set all!
The final set was a nail biter with Junri serving for the match 4 times before finally holding her nerve to win 14-12!!:cheer2:
Cue hi-fives all round (including your truley!). In the next round she was up against Bychkova, the 10th seed. Junri started slowly, losing the first set before rallying well to win 3-6 6-4 6-4. I was especially pleased as Bychova said to a Asian line judge who called a Junri shot in; "Just because she's Chinese like you there's no need to give her the point!"
I chatted to Junri later and she was so pleased and hi-fived me later in the day when we ran into each other.
Alas, the two tough matches finally told and she lost her final match 6-4 6-0.
I was sitting next to her coach and he said that she was feeling tired.
I was so sad as she really deserved to get into a Grand Slam singles draw. Hope she'll be back next year.
(credit to Doi and Nara who were both really friendly and have great futures ahead of them!)
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM   #205
country flag lynxy

lynxy has disabled reputation

From Wimbledon qualifying:

1R: Namigata def. Pliskova 6-2 4-6 14-12
2R: Namigata def. Bychkova 3-6 6-4 6-4
3R: Niculescu def. Namigata 6-4 6-0

lynxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM   #206
country flag CANADA8

Hey lynxy,

Great photos! Love the ones of Junri, obviously! Sitting at my desk at work looking at them, brings back all the fun of last week! Great tennis, great surroundings, feeling hot when the sun came out (and cold when it went in again!!) and OD'ing on "COSTA" lattes!

Junri is playing in a $50,000 ITF event in Boston this week; hoped she might have hung around and got one of the luck loser spots but alas, no!
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #207

Ran out of gas in the last match
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #208
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to Junri for winning the 75k+h title in Beijing!

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #209

congrats junri great win in beijingnearly up too best ranking,good luck for uso qualies
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #210
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

Us Open Quallies R1
R1 - Junri Namigata (JPN) vs Ana Vrljic (CRO)

Nice first round for Junri

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote