Chris Evert Thread - Page 111 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1651
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
But it could have been a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY if ............

Or ....... who knows what would have happened if ..........
Ah, the WouldaCouldaShoulda game. Maybe, one day I'll play. Or visit WouldaCouldaShouldaLand

A LOT of things in this world SHOULD be different than they are.
A LOT of things in this world COULD be different than they are.

But that's not the way life works.

But kudos to Ms Evert, for finding a way to make clever forays into the net against the seeming unbeatable Graf in early 1989 (didn't their VS Florida match happen around the time of the SI cover with Graf and the headline "Unbeatable" or something like that?). And for knowing she could pick on the backhand mercilessly, but then whip her own forehand cross court to catch Steffi off guard?!

Chris had to play her best (and still hope Graf was a little off, which she was in that match) to have a chance. And while I still feel the physical advantage Graf had is what made the final difference, it's Evert's melting of her own polar ice cap, her Ice Maiden steely nerves that perhaps contributed to the final outcome? Holding one's nerves is something a player at any age can control.

Tennis can be a cruel sport. Sometimes it can be the difference of just a few points that determines a winner.

Still amazing to think that over a career that spanned just about 2 decades, Evert won 90% of her matches!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #1652
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by laschutz View Post
wow, what a great line of respect and admiration for chrissie from steffi when she said after their boca raton match " the only difference between me and chrissie is that chrissie is 34! and later that year 35! and steffi is all of 19!

so basically chris is about old enough to be steffi's mother! lol! of course i guess one could say the same thing when chrissie was 19 and beating up on past their prime billie jean and margaret? although i believe that the age disparity and the talent is not the same! what i mean is that chrissie at 19, and billie jeant at 29 and margaret at 31, so both billie and margaret were still basically in their prime, i mean chris was 19 in 1974, the year before margaret had her unstoppable year in 1973, and the year after 1974 in 1975 billie would win wimbledon, so both were very much still in their prime i think, but chris battling steffi at 34 and steffi at 19, i think its a much greater wider chasm of age and talent, chrissie was really about 3 years past her prime and steffi at her zenith, so you have to give great respect and yes, awe at the talent of 34 year old chrissie!

i truly believe give chrissie her mental toughness when she was younger and at 34/35 on her best days she could be even with steffi!
I totally agree there and I feel that Everts superb court craft, particularly on clay, would have frustrated Graf frequently. Graf is a GOAT without question,maybe the best, but Evert had such a beauty and tranquility to her game that compared to the hustle and nervous bustle of Graf. The only surface I think she would have struggled is fast indoors where she was a little bit less effective than all outdoor surfaces. And she appeared to love outdoor tennis far more anyway. I wonder if Evert and Graf have any communication now???
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #1653
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
I wasn't putting you down with the 'casual observer' line, I was saying "You are above that" in your knowledge, and was surprised you seemed to be implying chris was not in any competitive running with graf. i always appreciate your comments!!! (except maybe the ones that go on and on about daily shopping trips!! ) ... but i've gotten over it. We basically agree on about 88% of tennis history. like evert>henin>austin.
Oh DazeYou make me smile thanks. And you may well have a point that with my knowledge maybe I should get my facts right before I ping a message. And dont mention the word shops to me I cant stand them. I havent even bought anything to wear for years apart from in Maceys in Boston last year and I was dragged screaming there. Actually I think Evert was a better tennis player than Graf,although of course that does not mean that she was a greater champion. But again what would her total of GS have been if she had played Australia as much as Steffi, and she had played the French in the Barker/ Jausovec/ Ruzici era???
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #1654
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Ah, the WouldaCouldaShoulda game. Maybe, one day I'll play. Or visit WouldaCouldaShouldaLand

A LOT of things in this world SHOULD be different than they are.
A LOT of things in this world COULD be different than they are.

But that's not the way life works.

But kudos to Ms Evert, for finding a way to make clever forays into the net against the seeming unbeatable Graf in early 1989 (didn't their VS Florida match happen around the time of the SI cover with Graf and the headline "Unbeatable" or something like that?). And for knowing she could pick on the backhand mercilessly, but then whip her own forehand cross court to catch Steffi off guard?!

Chris had to play her best (and still hope Graf was a little off, which she was in that match) to have a chance. And while I still feel the physical advantage Graf had is what made the final difference, it's Evert's melting of her own polar ice cap, her Ice Maiden steely nerves that perhaps contributed to the final outcome? Holding one's nerves is something a player at any age can control.

Tennis can be a cruel sport. Sometimes it can be the difference of just a few points that determines a winner.

Still amazing to think that over a career that spanned just about 2 decades, Evert won 90% of her matches!
So true Dennis and her record in the Federation and Wightman Cup matches was amazing. I mean the Wightman is easy to forget now but she completely dominated Wade and Barker, who were no slouches on the tennis court. And Durie later who was a fine player, if a little below the standard of Sue and Virginia. She was a menace to me every time she played Wightman, almost certainly two rubbers down before we even started!!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1655
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....2&Profile=1015
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #1656
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54 View Post
Thanks Pinapin, she is looking good!!!!
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1657
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

cute pix of chrissie - wish it weren't watermarked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98778960.jpg (35.7 KB, 15 views)
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1658
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
cute pix of chrissie - wish it weren't watermarked!
Lookin good Daze shes looking good. Not at all as old as some suggest. I think very sexy actually. But then I fancy Sam Torrance so.....................
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1659
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...9&g=0AC3006702
nice pix of chris at broward foundation event....HEY, Daze, we're waiting for the article about it!PLIIIIZZZZZ
it is updaaaaaattedddddd!!!!!
http://chrisevert.net/CE-News.html
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1660
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ho...pion/899443237
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1661
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Thanks for all you give to here Pinapin.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1662
country flag Evertmad

Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice

Shame about the spelling of her name....but nice segment...also some great clips on youtube of Chris on the top of the Empire State Building with the young kids.......and Wire Image has some fab photos......
http://multimedia.foxsports.com/m/vi...lks-tennis.htm
Enjoy.....
Evertmad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1663
country flag Evertmad

Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice

Here's the link to the photos.....
http://www.**************/ ItemListings.aspx?igi=432622&nbc1=1
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1664
country flag Evertmad

************** then use the Items lsitings bit as otherwise it wont save....as an html link
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #1665
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertmad View Post
Shame about the spelling of her name....but nice segment...also some great clips on youtube of Chris on the top of the Empire State Building with the young kids.......and Wire Image has some fab photos......
http://multimedia.foxsports.com/m/vi...lks-tennis.htm
Enjoy.....
Thanks so much for the video. Chris is looking good, like her in black, but I think she looks better with her hair longer! I too think Henin will win the FO, it's just a shame that Kim is out. I'm off the Youtube, to check out the other video's of Chris.
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote