UC Irvine congratulatory thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #16
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice
Re: UC Irvine congratulatory thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
One of things that stood out the most to me about this UCI championship was the classless reactions of the Long Beach St. fans.
Speaking of showing no class, in the past how many LBSU fans went on UCI message boards, after winning a gazillion championships in a row, and rubbed the opposing fans nose in it as you did this year on LB's board. I believe a LBSU supporter, who was good to his word, shot the championship ceremony even though his team was not in it. Who is showing no class again? Oh by the way, still waiting for your answer on if UCI stacked their lineup. Would like an honest answer but all you can do lately is spin in circles.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #17
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCB View Post
Oh by the way, still waiting for your answer on if UCI stacked their lineup.
If the conference and later a protest had not ruled on UCI's line-up the 2 sides could argue forever whether that was a stack or not. But the conference allowed UCI's line-up and the ruling rendered from the protest was that UCI didn't cheat. Part of sports is living with a call made by officials. If you think LBS got a bad call from the officials fine but then you have to deal with it and continue playing which is a big part of sports. A true championship team is good enough to absorb and overcome a bad call from the officials.

The life lesson here is how one reacts to adversity or something out of one's control. An official's call is out of one's control but you have to adjust to it and continue play which is a big part of sports. However how you react to a loss in the end is 100% within your own control. Nobody was pointing a gun to Form's head forcing him to behave badly. Form's ugly and hateful behavior was inexcusable and falls 100% on Form's own shoulders and not with the officials. He has no one to blame but himself. Some LBS fans and especially Form failed this life lesson miserably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Spineless.. but congrats...
Form sorry but attaching an insult to a congrats doesn't make the congrats valid.

Last edited by gouci : May 9th, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #18
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

But isn't this really just a problem with the ITA rules/regulations as they currently exist? Hammel was obviously capable of competing, albeit at a fraction of her healthy self. Suppose she was in reality UCI's 6th strongest player going into the BW tournament. But she can't play #6 because she has only previously played at #1 this year and the rules say:

Placement of injured or ill players in line-up. If a player is injured or ill
and cannot play for three weeks or longer, the coach should use his
discretion in determining where to place the player in the team line-up.
If the player has played the majority of his matches at one position, he
must be placed within two positions up or down to be within a “range.”

So as I understand it, Edles' choices were to play Hammel at #3 or higher, or not play her at all. Given that, I think a rule change is necessary here, not necessarily to combat cheating, but to give coaching additional flexibility in working top players back into the lineup after injury.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #19
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

CTSEMT you're a voice of reason that has gotten to the bottom of things!

The stack LBS is claiming was actually UCI having to abide by the "within 2 positions up or down rule." See there was a good reason why the conference ruling and result of the protest were decided as they were. It wouldn't be fair for anyone not as informed as the officials to second guess their ruling.

Bottom line UCI did not cheat!!!
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #20
country flag gouci

What do you have to say Rob?
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #21
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

This is my last post on this subject.

CTSEMT, the main issue here is not where Hammel was inserted, it was the fact that she should have never been in the lineup to begin with. The only reason she was inserted was to move the others down. The young lady could not hit a forehand, and therefore, had no chance at winning anywhere in the lineup. The move was made only to move the others down and that is why he was accused, rightfully so, of stacking by numerous coaches within the conference. One has to question why he did not tell the other coaches the true condition of Hammel before the tournament, during the conference call, because he knew if he did she would have never been allowed to play anywhere in the lineup.

Last edited by RobertCB : May 9th, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #22
country flag gouci

Being less than 100% is not a reason to force someone to sit out. The fact that Long Beach State DID NOT win the point vs Hammel is validation that Hammel should have been playing in the line-up.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #23
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

The reverse can be said for why are you putting in a player that is not 100%, especially when it is uncertain at what capacity a player is at.

A good example is Tennessee. Earlier in the year I had questioned the use of Natalie Pluskota in the line-up who was clearly being used to push other players down. Were they technically within the rules (within 2 spots)? Yes. However was there any chances of Pluskota winning those matches? No not really.

We all have seen even in pro tennis that playing against an injured opponent can be difficult. While we can say that it was heroic of injured person to play, there comes a point where it's bad sportsmanship to put them in the line-up. It's interesting to see that for the NCAA team tournament, Pluskota has been placed at No. 8 singles. They could have easily inserted her somewhere else, but they knew they would have been called out on it. A similar issue is Amanda McDowell, who is placed at No. 6 in the line-up. There is a reason these coaches did not put them higher in the line-up.

Lastly let's not mention how difficult it is to call coaches out on this, especially when it's within the league. Let's face it, it's not easy when you interact with these coaches on a consistent basis. Even though coaches should call each other out, some form of politics usually play a role. I'm sure its no coincidence that most call outs have been not within league matches (i.e. Frenso State vs. USC from a couple years back and Syracuse this year).

There is never going to be an agreement on this issue and let us leave it at that.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #24
country flag gouci

TRN mentions UCI

TennisRecruiting.net invited some of their college tennis experts to answer some questions about college tennis and the NCAA tournament.

Question - The end of the regular season and the conference tournaments brought some great stories. What stuck out for you during the stretch run?

Answer by Marc Lucero - TRN College Contributor

"Looking at the end of the season, I think one great story was the UCI women ending the stranglehold that Long Beach State has had on the Big West Conference.
...Irvine was able to upset UCSB and Long Beach State back to back to earn their first Big West title."
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #25
country flag gouci

Re: TRN mentions UCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
You can't spell CHEATERS without 'EATERS
Form only in the mind of LBS fans did UCI cheat because you won't find any mention of cheating in any official releases.

Form LBS fans remind me of Stanford fans who still claim they won the famous football game against Cal (Cal has the official win) where the band came on the field at the end.

Last edited by gouci : May 13th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #26
country flag gouci

Form there is sports precedence for your ugly and hateful behavior. Your profanity laced tirade and other antics reminds me of this meltdown.

Form you can be bitter for the rest of your life because nobody can ever take away UCI's 2010 Big West Championship.

Last edited by gouci : May 13th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.