Big West - 2010 key matches - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:24 PM   #181
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Big West - 2010 key matches

I enjoy the back and forth between form and gouci, and today is the big day.

Here is the page gather the twitter feeds to the scores in progress.

FYI, #UCI can be double happy today... both their tennis teams won #BigWest Championships.
2 minutes ago reply

Last edited by 2nd_serve : May 2nd, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #182
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
In his 13 years at UCI, how many has he won in real D1 WOMEN'S TENNIS
Well UCI's coach just started this new decade by winning the 2010 Big West Tournament title.

UCI's Coach Edles NOW has 9 championships.

What UCI's head coach did reminds me of what the Dodger's Tommy Lasorda did by inserting injured Kirk Gibson against the Oakland A's in the World Series. That legendary move by the coach resulted in his team later winning the championship.

What UCI's Stephanie Hammel did reminds me of what the New York Knicks' Willis Reed did playing injured in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Reed only made 2 shots but his courageous act inspired his team to win the championship.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #183
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
That's ingenious.

Still, congrats to Gouci and UCI.
Hey fantic at the Big West Tourney finals UCI's Kristina Smith was playing #6 singles vs Long Beach St.

If Smith was losing I was prepared to chant "don't give up, there's no CAN'T in your name."

Unlike Smith's opponent Sarah Cantlay.

But Smith won no problem.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #184
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

DOUBLES
Alawi/Manasse, LBSU def. Holladay/Kwan, UCI 8-2
Armstrong/Dallara, LBSU vs. Byron/Smith, UCI DNF
Cantlay/Luzar, LBSU def. Bartlett/Bisharat, UCI 8-2

SINGLES
Courtney Byron, UCI def. Jaklin Alawi, LBSU 7-5, 6-4
April Bisharat, UCI def. Anais Dallara, LBSU 6-0, 6-3
Deborah Armstrong, LBSU def. Stephanie Hammel, UCI DNF
Rachel Manasse, LBSU def. Brooke Bartlett, UCI DNF
Rebecca Kwan, UCI def. Anna Jeczmionka, LBSU 6-3, 6-2
Kristina Smith, UCI def. Sarah Cantlay, LBSU 6-3, 6-3

UCI's doubles stacking? wasn't effective against LBSU, credit to LBS.

In the singles, UCI won BOTH 1&2 AND 5&6

I thought since LBS won the doubles point they would have the momentum, but doesn't seem like it.

And how was #3 singles UNfinished if Hammel was severely injured? Was Hammel THAT good?

(Juju's 9 fingers at Stuttgart? )

Anyway you have to give credit to Byron, and I dunno, Smith maybe should've played #5, but still Kwan

also won..both seems to have won easily, judging by the score..

About Hammel playing AND at #3, I dunno, never saw that kind of situation before Other Big West

teams could file a complaint, I guess..(I can't really comment on this since I don't know the rules..)

If Hammel did not play..
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : May 4th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #185
country flag gouci

Quote:
And how was #3 singles UNfinished if Hammel was severely injured? Was Hammel THAT good?

...teams could file a complaint, I guess..(I can't really comment on this since I don't know the rules..)
Fantic you hit the nail on the head!

Hammel's match was going to be one of the last singles match to finish. That is proof of how COMPETITIVE the match was.

A protest was filed against UCI. There were no penalties slapped against UCI and or did UCI have to forfeit anything. You will not find mention in any release about UCI cheating or doing anything illegal. That's because the ruling from the protest was UCI DID NOT cheat.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #186
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Now I see that Kwan usually played #4..Hammel playing at #3 really seems to have affected the outcome

Anyway, let's look at how Byron did this season.

Started at #4, and ended as #1, and would you look at the results;

Thongdach, 3-6, 6-7

Poorta, 6-4, 0-6, 6-4

Munch-Soegaard 6-7, 6-7

Coupez 6-2, 6-1

Stone, 1-6, 6-2, 5-7

Widjaja, 6-4, 1-6, 2-6

Widjaja, 3-6, 3-6

Novak, 6-2, 6-3

Alawi, 7-5, 6-4

Wow.

She definitely should be the MVP of the tournament.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #187
country flag fantic

Alawi lost to Byron but she had a nice season too;

some notable dual results;

lost to Ramos & Dy in a 3-setter,

defeated

Aguilar, Bisharat, Stone, Mizyuk, Weatherholt, Vasilieva, Matzenauer, Novak...

Christ, she was GOOD.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #188
country flag gouci

Quote:
Now I see that Kwan usually played #4..Hammel playing at #3 really seems to have affected the outcome
Fantic Kwan was playing #4 only when Hammel was out for 5 weeks.

The likely outcome minus Hammel

1. Byron (UCI) def. Alawin (LBS) = happened
2. Bisharat (UCI) def. Dallara (LSB) = happened
3. Barlett (UCI) def. Armstrong (LBS) = most likely to happen
4. Kwan (UCI) vs Manasse (LBS) = Kwan playing great so coinflip
5. Smith (UCI) def. Jeczmionka (LBS) = most likely to happen
6. Cantlay (LBS) def. Holladay (UCI) = most likely to happen

In last years Big West Tourney Barlett won the 1st set vs Armstrong and was close to winning the 2nd when the match was stopped.

Most likely result minus Hammel is UCI wins 4-2 with Kwan - Manasse unfinished in 3rd set.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #189
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
UCI's Coach Edles NOW has 9 championships.

Here's a pic of the 9th championship.
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #190
country flag gouci

#59 UC Irvine vs #17 Ole Miss preview

Ole Miss

1. #44 Kristi Boxx - 5 star 22
2. #116 Karen Nijssen - Netherlands #28
3. Connor Vogel - 5 star 31
4. Abby Guthrie - ITF 360
5. Laura van de Stroet - Netherlands #34
6. Gabby Rangel - 5 star 39

1. #12 Boxx / Nijssen
2. Vogel / Rangel
3. Guthrie / van de Stroet

UC Irvine

1. Courtney Byron - 5 star 58
2. April Bisharat - WTA 955
3. #96 Stephanie Hammel - 5 star 39
4. Brooke Bartlett - 4 star 68
5. Rebecca Kwan - 5 star 40
6. Kristina Smith - 5 star 55

1. Kwan / Holladay
2. Byron / Smith
3. Bartlett / Bisharat
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #191
country flag gouci

Re: #59 UC Irvine vs #17 Ole Miss preview

Hey fantic did you get a chance to watch either #44 Kristi Boxx or #116 Karen Nijssen play at the Riviera All American Tourney?

Alison Ramos def. Boxx 6-3,6-4 and Aeriel Ellis def. Nijssen 4-6,6-2,6-1.

If you saw either one any scouting report on their games?

Last edited by gouci : May 10th, 2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #192
country flag fantic

I saw them and also saw Boxx at NCAA but can't really say Didn't pay much attention to their matches.

Anyway Boxx is a national player, along with Frilling, Marks, etc..not that powerful, but could keep the ball in play..

Also Miss. doubles were pretty good..and if Nijssen went to 3-setter against Ellis, she must be pretty good too.

Sorry for not being of much help.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #193
country flag gouci

#17 Ole Miss def. #59 UCI 4-0

1. #12 Boxx/Nijssen (MS) def. Kwan/Holladay (UCI) 8-4
2. Byron/Smith (UCI) led Vogel/Rangel (MS) 5-4
3. Guthrie/van de Stroet (MS) def. Hayley Young/Bisharat (UCI) 8-4

1. Courtney Byron (UCI) led #44 Kristi Boxx (MS) 6-4,5-3
2. April Bisharat (UCI) vs #116 Karen Nijssen (MS) 1-6,6-3
3. Connor Vogel (MS) def. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) 6-2,6-0
4. Abby Guthrie (MS) led Becka Kwan (UCI) 6-3,3-4
5. Laura van de Stroet (MS) def. Kristina Smith (UCI) 6-2,6-2
6. Gabby Rangel (MS) def. Hannah Holladay (UCI) 6-2,6-3

Considering UCI was missing their regular #4 singles and they were playing a potential #1 seed in Ole Miss, until Texas edged them out in the last minute, a good showing by UCI.

- Courtney Byron continues her excellent play and was on the verge of defeating #44 Kristi Boxx 6-4,5-3.
- April Bisharat took her match with nationally ranked #116 Karen Nijssen to 3 sets.
- Becka Kwan was in position to possible extend her match to 3 sets also.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #194
country flag fantic

Wow, that's a strong showing by Miss. #5, defeating Smith that easily.

And Byron !!! What happened to you, why are you suddenly playing SO well?
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:07 AM   #195
country flag gouci

Quote:
Wow, that's a strong showing by Miss. #5, defeating Smith that easily.
#5 singles Laura van de Stroet played 23 dual matches at #3 last season for Ole Miss. which explains the strong showing.