How was Steffi Graf career in early 90s,if she had no dad scandal in 1990 ? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #1
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future
How was Steffi Graf career in early 90s,if she had no dad scandal in 1990 ?

This is an idea for discussing about the hidden truths behind her defeats in early 90's. Useful link:-http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/13/sp...the-press.html
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King

Last edited by R-K-M : Jun 8th, 2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Link added.
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How was Steffi Graf career in early 90s,if she had no dad scandal in 1990 ?

Quote:
This is not an effort to reduce the status of any player.ok?
Ok. My answer is: Who knows for sure?

Clearly she was under intense pressure from the German press, which always suffocated both her and Boris Becker. I'm sketchy on details and timeline.

Something was up with Graf as early as early 1990, when she looked listless in the Aussie. (the book Hard Courts goes into more details).

The Nicole Meissner thing must have been a shock, but when did she know? Was it when the press broke the story or before?

When did her parents separate?

And tough as all that was to take, to me her father going to jail for tax evasion would have been even tougher. That's me though-heck, by that time one hopes Steffi had on some thick armor to protect her emotionally.

All of these things surely had a negative impact on her tennis and contributed to the "slump" some talk about in the early 90s.

I don't think it makes Steffi unique among tennis stars though. Evert and Navratilova had their own personal/public traumas which affected their tennis. Doubtless all tennis players do.

Personally I still think Seles would have had the game in her grip, Monica was just that good IMO.

But who knows-had Steffi been able to win the German or French over Seles in 1990 things might have been different.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Maybe Steffi would have fallen in love with Andre's wig at the french open 1990 if she had not been distracted by the Bild instead of bashing him in the Stern afterwards which shows that she at least was paying attention to him, but with a happy mind her perspective might have been different!
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe Steffi would have fallen in love with Andre's wig at the french open 1990 if she had not been distracted by the Bild instead of bashing him in the Stern afterwards which shows that she at least was paying attention to him, but with a happy mind her perspective might have been different!
LOL. What did she have to say about Agassi in Bild?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #5
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
This is an idea for discussing about the hidden truths behind her defeats in early 90's.
Sure negative things affect our life and the player's game,and sure the Steffi's game has been affected by her dad's affair.But everyone suffers problems along his life ,all the champions suffered pain during their careers,we don't know their private life
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6
country flag irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
LOL. What did she have to say about Agassi in Bild?
She found him a big colored bird who left her totally cold! The other ironic thing beside the fact that she ended up marrying the guy was that 7 month after she made that comment, she was playing in a pink outfit herself

To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
This is an idea for discussing about the hidden truths behind her defeats in early 90's.
She was bitter that she didn't have a rose named after her.

irma will back me up on this one.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM   #8
country flag irma

Steffi needed years to get over that!
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #9
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Irma, could you explain me the whole story in detail,please?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point

If irma won't explain it, I will but you won't like my version.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #11
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Like Irma's take on the subject. Since Steffi does not care how many GS she won, the interesting question just from discussion stand point would be: How would Steffi Graf's career be if she responded to Agassi's pursuit in 1991-92 period ?
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM   #12
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
She was bitter that she didn't have a rose named after her.

irma will back me up on this one.
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #13
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
Sure negative things affect our life and the player's game,and sure the Steffi's game has been affected by her dad's affair.But everyone suffers problems along his life ,all the champions suffered pain during their careers,we don't know their private life
I concur. I can relate certain meltdown at the French (and a certain date at the time)with a rumor that was spreaded by one of her endorsers at the Italian Open. But then she has fighted those rumors most of her a career so it could probably be related to certain American coach who tried to flatten her strokes.
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #14
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Like Irma's take on the subject. Since Steffi does not care how many GS she won, the interesting question just from discussion stand point would be: How would Steffi Graf's career be if she responded to Agassi's pursuit in 1991-92 period ?

Hmmm...well in my book she would still be quite high because she won all 4 majors in 1988.

That would have meant missing out on the joys of some great finals with Seles, Sanchez, and Hingis though!
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #15
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

This picture serves as proof that the late 80s and early 90s was a fashion disaster-LOL. Steffi had loads of company though-those gad-awful prints on shirts were worn by all the pros. And whatever she wore those legs were always world class.