Describe your playing style ! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #1
country flag Mina Vagante

Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute
Describe your playing style !

I'm sort of in the middle between an agressive baseliner and a counter-puncher. I guess playing defensively is more natural than aggressively, thought it depends on my opponent. If they have no power, then i'd take initiative and start playing aggressive tennis.

I have a good, hard and flat first serve - my second is ok but inconsistent and will break down in important moments.

My backhand is the better shot and feels more natural than hitting a forehand. I have really confidence in this shot, even if i'm not playing well. My forehand produces the more spectacular winners but it can go on so easily in pressure moments and it just looks .

I hardly ever come to net because i'm not comfortable up there - however, if i'm down in a match I ( unconsciously ) attack the net for some reason.
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Describe your playing style !

I'm an aggressive baseliner. The best part of my game is my forehand, which is my biggest weapon and I can really do anything with it - flatten it out and hit the cover off the ball, heavy topspin and I just really love playing angles off it. My serve is good too, I had a back injury so inevitably it has been affected and especially on the second serve I tend to rock back when I go for a kick serve so I have been straightening the motion out. Also I have really become more analytical as I have matured and my tactics are very good now.

Other decent things about my game are my speed and backhand. I'm pretty quick and speedy around the court but i'm unfit right now as I haven't been able to exercise in the last year or so, but i'm working on it too. My backhand actually used to be my best shot ages ago, but I seem to have the yips on it recently so i've had to go back to basics and it's slowly improving and i'm getting more confident with it.

Weaknesses are my volleys - although they have improved with the doubles I have been playing, I still often find myself stranded at the net and it's just something that I have never had confidence in. My shot selection can be erratic at times and I can overpress, my stamina can be bad and I can lose my composure and get pissed off way too easily.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM   #3
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute Certinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Aggressive playing style. My serve is definitely the best part of my game, I have a Berdych like service motion and when I'm playing well I can hit over 125mph quite regularly and I know nearly every serve in the book . My FH is good as well, it's a very flat hit with a lot of power.

As for my BH it's a 2 handed BH and decent at most but it's more of a liability which hurts my game a lot and my defense isn't the best off that side. My volleys are even worse though which is really why I never go to the net and even when I try to improve playing doubles or something I always end up on the baseline no matter what. However I think my smashes are great, I hardly ever miss and always put them away with minimum of fuss.

My movement is okay I guess, and considering i'm 6'5" I think it would be really hard to improve, but it's something I will really try. My ROS is okay as well, I do block returns but I usually just go and try to hit a winner out of the serve. I think my speed and stamina are good considering my height as well.

So my game is near identical's to Tomas Berdych's in terms of game style (hence he's my idol) just my BH and volleys do bring my game down a fair amount, but nonetheless I think all of that could be improved though I really do think I need to be a lot more patient as well as I normally go for winners way too early in a rally
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #4
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Fatalistic.

I was never ingrained with that whole 'tennis club technique for dummies', so my game is unorthodox almost exclusively. My serve has become a bigger weapon as i've got bigger (and dare i say stronger), i've been able to use it more effectively, and more purposefully too. I've got much more work on the serve now, using heavy kick in the AD-court, and implementing my favourite flat serve down the T in the Deuce court. Nothing spectacular, but enough to make my serve co-operative

My forehand is as quirky as it gets, with almost little-to no follow through, but it's certainly my best shot. I've found i have quite good timing off masses of pace, so i can deflect and manipulate power well to my advantage.

I'm not going to even talk about my backhand

I'm a strong mover, but not a 'speedy mover'. I'm a Lion, not a Cheetah when it comes to running
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #5
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Fatalistic.

I was never ingrained with that whole 'tennis club technique for dummies', so my game is unorthodox almost exclusively. My serve has become a bigger weapon as i've got bigger (and dare i say stronger), i've been able to use it more effectively, and more purposefully too. I've got much more work on the serve now, using heavy kick in the AD-court, and implementing my favourite flat serve down the T in the Deuce court. Nothing spectacular, but enough to make my serve co-operative

My forehand is as quirky as it gets, with almost little-to no follow through, but it's certainly my best shot. I've found i have quite good timing off masses of pace, so i can deflect and manipulate power well to my advantage.

I'm not going to even talk about my backhand

I'm a strong mover, but not a 'speedy mover'. I'm a Lion, not a Cheetah when it comes to running
Are you male or female?

I've always wondered to what level people on this forum play.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:43 PM   #6
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute

i CAN'T serve, or when i do, it's always a flat ball.

i have virtually no backhand, except a good defensive loopy backhand.

i mostly try to bash with my forehand.

i'm pretty speedy but footwork is MIA.

ajde.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #7
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-york View Post
i CAN'T serve, or when i do, it's always a flat ball.

i have virtually no backhand, except a good defensive loopy backhand.

i mostly try to bash with my forehand.

i'm pretty speedy but footwork is MIA.

ajde.
Hi Ana

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #8
country flag Slutiana

BTW, for old time's sake:
Quote:
Originally Posted by youizbanned
I'm a power hitter with the ability to play with effect and come a lot to the net. I can hit forehands and backhands of both sides, just depending on the situation. I use a Wilson K factor prototype.

I play about every day, when I have more time during the day, I'll play on grass, hardcourt, carpet and clay all in best out of 3.

I remember a 5 set match in a final, where I had to take everything I had, even sustain injuries to win the match, it lasted about 8 hours with eventually getting a lead of 5-0 in the 5th, getting an injury, and eventually winning that set 12-10. It was 35°C that day and was on very slow clay. After that match I also needed a time out and get my injuries healed.

I think over the 18 years I've played, I've had like 5 years where I was unbeaten. I'll post some stats later when I'm home.
Quote:
Right now my fastest serve is 146mph. My second serves hardly drop under 126mph, because I'm super confident when I serve now. I think I haven't hit a df since a month orso.

Tennis is mental and about confidence, ofcourse devotion and talent help you out.

Motivation was all I needed
Quote:
I was an itf player for almost one year, but I had knee and back injuries which, after a long week of thinking, made me decide, in agreement with doctors, to stop the pro circuit and focus myself on something else.

Although I'm hoping to get pro some day, just hoping the injuries will finally start fading away.
RIP Glenn!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #9
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
Hi Ana
i'm exciting.

Basically, i can't play tennis.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM   #10
country flag Mina Vagante

Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute Mina Vagante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i'm exciting.

I will play you one day !
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #11
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i'm exciting.

If I play like Jelena, it means you are going to PWN me

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #12
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I like to describe myself as your typical Russian headcase. Most likely I'm like Safina or Zvonareva when they're throwing a temper tantrum.

Serve: Non-existant. I'm lucky when I get the ball in the box. Luckily, my serves are so slow that sometimes I'm able to catch my opponent off guard with how slow they are that my opponent thinks its going to be an easy return winner but they hit an error.

Backhand: Non-existant. I can sometimes hit a backhand on the run but usually I run around my backhand to hit a forehand. If I'm forced to hit from the backhand side, I either moonball or try and change up the pace so I can be sure to hit a forehand the next shot.

Forehand: My best and only semi-reliable shot. Sometimes I play double handed just to use more power but if I'm in the center of the court, I try to dictate with a single handed forehand. My problem with the forehand is that in tense times, it completely breaks down and then I have to play 2 handed the whole time which is more work then I want to do.

Net Play: Semi-existant. I have really bad net poistioning so when I rush the net, I usually come in too close so it's really easy to hit a passing shot on me. However, if I can get my racquet on the ball, I can usually hold my own at the net and lobs don't scare me at all cause I'm fast enough to get to the back of the court and return the ball.

Mental Strength: Non-existant. When I have the slightest notion that I'm playing decent or if I have the smallest lead (could be 3-1, 2-0 etc.) my game falls to pieces. Thats when I start cussing, screaming, slamming my racquet on the ground, slamming my racquet against my calf, slapping my thigh, yelling at my invisible coach, and asking "Why am I afraid to win?" thats of course after saying a couple times "Fuck me. Fuck my serve."
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:34 PM   #13
country flag Wedgie619

Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of

I would say that im like most of the Australian bigger names on tour...

Serve: Great serve... Not my biggest weapon but I can control the ball and place it very well and also use power when i need to...

Backhand: One handed... not really reliable... with most one handers you can either come over the ball or slice supperbly and the other is awful... I am sort of a jack of all trades, master of none...

Forehand: Best shot, try to run around my backhand, love hitting inside out and inside in so people have a huge problem when im deep in my backhand corner hitting forehands... love to hit with heavy top spin... but its the shot that when its not on... IT NOT ON!!! (A lot like Stosur)

Net Play: Volleys are good, but I can't come in to save mty life... Great for doubles not in singles...

Mental Strength: Whats mental strenght? I have a really hard time playing against those who are playing shit... I get no rythm... and when my game is gone, NOTHING can bring it back...
Semi/Quarter Finalist: YEC (09), Linz (07)/ Australian Open (09), Wimbledon (09)
Wedgie619 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #14
country flag Slutiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
Well I like to describe myself as your typical Russian headcase. Most likely I'm like Safina or Zvonareva when they're throwing a temper tantrum.

Serve: Non-existant. I'm lucky when I get the ball in the box. Luckily, my serves are so slow that sometimes I'm able to catch my opponent off guard with how slow they are that my opponent thinks its going to be an easy return winner but they hit an error.

Backhand: Non-existant. I can sometimes hit a backhand on the run but usually I run around my backhand to hit a forehand. If I'm forced to hit from the backhand side, I either moonball or try and change up the pace so I can be sure to hit a forehand the next shot.

Forehand: My best and only semi-reliable shot. Sometimes I play double handed just to use more power but if I'm in the center of the court, I try to dictate with a single handed forehand. My problem with the forehand is that in tense times, it completely breaks down and then I have to play 2 handed the whole time which is more work then I want to do.

Net Play: Semi-existant. I have really bad net poistioning so when I rush the net, I usually come in too close so it's really easy to hit a passing shot on me. However, if I can get my racquet on the ball, I can usually hold my own at the net and lobs don't scare me at all cause I'm fast enough to get to the back of the court and return the ball.

Mental Strength: Non-existant. When I have the slightest notion that I'm playing decent or if I have the smallest lead (could be 3-1, 2-0 etc.) my game falls to pieces. Thats when I start cussing, screaming, slamming my racquet on the ground, slamming my racquet against my calf, slapping my thigh, yelling at my invisible coach, and asking "Why am I afraid to win?" thats of course after saying a couple times "Fuck me. Fuck my serve."
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM   #15
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
I have a Berdych like service motion and when I'm playing well I can hit over 125mph quite regularly and I know nearly every serve in the book .
Hell no.