Aussies in WTA events - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:03 PM   #1
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute
Aussies in WTA events

It's early 2010 and lo and behold we have eight Aussies in and around the Top 150. Stuff this challenger business - let's make an assault on the *real* tour.

Anyways, we've had a good few weeks on the WTA tour - Stosur's QFs in Indian Wells and Miami, A-Rod and Casey qualifying at Miami and Alicia posting more good comeback wins.

And overnight we've had some excellent wins in WTA 1st round qualifying:

Marbella
Alicia Molik d. some spanish chick 6-0 6-2
Ponte Vedra Beach
Adamczak d. Alexandra Stevenson 6-1 6-3 (revenge from a tight loss last week)
Sophie Ferguson d. Mashona Washington 6-4 6-1

The only blight was Olivia going down 2 and 4 to Halep in Marbella.

Next up:
Marbella Q2: [2]Molik v. Garcia Vidagany (ESP)
Ponte Vedra Q2: Adamczak v. Tatishvili (GEO), Ferguson v. [2]Rodina (RUS)
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:53 PM   #2
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aussies in WTA events

Rodionova faces a qualifier in the first round of Ponte Vedra Beach. Go Nastya

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Overnight results:

Stosur lost the Miami doubles final in a super tiebreak. Apparently she hasn't won a doubles title in three years?!

Marbella QR2: Molik had a bad loss going down 6-7 0-6 to some Spanish chick I've never heard of

Ponte Vedra QR2: Adamczak loss 6-4 6-3 to Anna Tatishvili but Sophie Ferguson had a really good win beating 2nd seeded qualifier Evgeniya Rodina 2-6 6-3 6-4! She plays Angela Haynes for a spot in the Main Draw. Go Sophie!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
country flag Territory

Overnight results:

Sophie Ferguson flogged Angela Haynes to qualify for Ponte Vedra! Well done! She won 6-0 6-1.

Tonight's matches:

Sophie has drawn 4th seed Elena Vesnina and Nastya Rodionova plays qualifier Bethanie Mattek-Sands. Nastya also has a doubles match. Good luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
country flag Territory

Well... boo!

Sophie lost to Vesnina and Nastya lost too - singles and doubles.

Anyone know who's playing WTAs next week? (I'm too slack to do the research myself...)
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #6
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of

I suspect that both Sophie and Mon are entered for qualies at the FAmily Circle Cup in the US as neither are listed for the $25k in the US next week.

Think Alicia and Olivia will be be at Barcelona.
Vicky88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #7
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

Moliks loss to Beatriz Garcia Vidagany ESP is now no longer an appauling loss seeing as Beatriz has just gotten into the quarter finals beating Kim Clijsters, Kristina Barrois and Monica Niculescu.

Clearly this girl is a good player so hopefully Molik is not too down on the loss.
Bring some good form next week tho.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #8
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

^^
And Simona Halep (Rogowska's conqueror) just beat Cirstea in R2 to make the quarter finals. Halep is a good player, great on clay. I am surprised it has taken this long for her to make a breakthrough at WTA level.
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #9
country flag Brett.
Rest In Peace, Elena

Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
I suspect that both Sophie and Mon are entered for qualies at the FAmily Circle Cup in the US as neither are listed for the $25k in the US next week.

Think Alicia and Olivia will be be at Barcelona.
Soph is entered in Family Circle Cup but not sure about Monique!
Brett. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #10
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Molik and Rogowska both not having luck with in-form opponents on clay. The clay season has only just started... hopefully they keep playing and working on their rankings!
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #11
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

I always wonder what some of the Aussie players are doing outside the AO season?

Shannon Golds, Jessica Moore, Sally Peers, Monika Wejnert, Isabella Holland? Are they playing ITF, training or doing something else for a day job?
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #12
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Golds lost the first round of a 25k in the US this week to Lucic. Peers is into the quarters of 25K Korea with a good win over 6th seed Laurendon while Moore lost first round to an Indonesian qualifier. Holland is still injured and who knows with Wejnert??? she's finished school now so she should be playing somewhere... hope she's not injured.

Olivia ROGOWSKA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Dasha GAVRILOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #13
country flag Territory

Alicia and Olivia are in the Q-Draw at Barcelona:

Olivia plays Halep again (who beat her soundly last week) and Molik plays another lowly-ranked Spaniard (Cabeza Candela #237). Four of Alicia's last six sets have been bagels... see what happens this week!

Here are there sections of the draw:

1 OLARU, Ioana Raluca ROU vs. LLAGOSTERA VIVES, Nuria ESP
2 RUS, Arantxa NED vs. FERRER SUAREZ, Ines ESP
3 ROGOWSKA, Olivia AUS vs. HALEP, Simona ROU
4 FEUERSTEIN, Claire FRA vs. MEUSBURGER, Yvonne AUT

---

13 ZAHLAVOVA, Sandra CZE vs. ZEC PESKIRIC, Masa SLO
14 KUCOVA, Zuzana SVK vs. LARSSON, Johanna SWE
15 CABEZA CANDELA, Estrella ESP vs. MOLIK, Alicia AUS
16 NICULESCU, Monica ROU vs. PARMENTIER, Pauline FRA

Good luck!
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #14
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

Sophie and Mon are also playing in Charleston.

(7)Ferguson v Glatch
Yan v (16)Lee-Waters

3)Adamczak v (wc)Vandeweghe
(wc)Grandin v (10)Tatishvili

Both girls are seeded to qualify.

Jarmila Gajdosova, Ash Barty, Olivia Rogowska, Abbie Myers

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kristina Mladenovic, Sabine Lisicki
jack21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #15
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of

You know I find it really heartening to see Soph and Mon entering these qualifying draws at WTA events. To me it says they are getting closer to why they play tennis. I am sure no-one becomes a professional tennis player with the aim of playing $25k challengers. If Sophie could qualify and get a kind draw for a change we could see a big jump in her ranking. Same with Mon.
Vicky88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote