NCAA rules - explanations - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #16
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: NCAA rules - explanations

Quote"
So next year's 2011 seniors can only wait one semester before starting college... must start by January 2012 or not play any competiton anywhere after Dec 31 until they start school the following year; penalty then becomes sit year in school and lose a year of eligiblity. This effects US kids or int'l kids trying to pro tour OR trying to wait for a better offer the following year (like Brynn Boren waiting one year before starting at Tennessee next year OR Danielle Lao who 'had' planned to wait for a spot a year later until USC booted Niculescu and they freed up a spot this year). So it's not just going to impact int'l recruits. It will likely take a few years before the int'l kids figure this new time frame out."

Is this likely to make next year's recruiting class crowded with talent, as the 19 year old, 20 year old, and (gasp.) 21 year old Freshman all try to get in on the last dance.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #17
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Does funding from third parties (such as, ooh, I dunno, a national tennis federation) compromise a player's amateur standing at all?
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #18
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: Taking time off

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
The rule shrinking the one year grace period from HS to college down to just 6 months in tennis passed this week. All sports (no more 26 year old freshman Quarterbacks at Boston College). For tennis it is effective August 2011 so the word has time to spread world wide.

So next year's 2011 seniors can only wait one semester before starting college... must start by January 2012 or not play any competiton anywhere after Dec 31 until they start school the following year; penalty then becomes sit year in school and lose a year of eligiblity. This effects US kids or int'l kids trying to pro tour OR trying to wait for a better offer the following year (like Brynn Boren waiting one year before starting at Tennessee next year OR Danielle Lao who 'had' planned to wait for a spot a year later until USC booted Niculescu and they freed up a spot this year). So it's not just going to impact int'l recruits. It will likely take a few years before the int'l kids figure this new time frame out.

One thing this will do is eliminate 21 year old freshman. 20 would be possible in some cases but 21 would be almost impossible. Cal-Berkeley's average age is about to drop by about 3 years.

Is it correct that the new rule just applies to starting college as a freshman. As in it would be acceptable under the rule to go to college for a year, and if the player is beating up on the competition, try out as a pro. And if being a pro isn't successful enough, return to college.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #19
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Scouting rules

Tenniswish explains rules on scouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenniswish View Post
The NCAA does prohibit schools from paying any expenses for a coach to scout upcoming opponents.

In basketball, football and women's volleyball, off-campus, in-person scouting is strictly prohibited except at tournaments where a team is participating and then coaches can watch other games.

In sports other than those three, coaches wouldn't be able to receive any money to cover expenses. Furthermore, if a coach is traveling as part of the team or on a recruiting trip, then the coach is not allowed to scout during that trip. See NCAA Bylaw 11.6.2.

I guess if a coach wanted to drive across town and watch a match, he/she could, but this rule really protects the coaches from themselves since not being able to pay for scouting trips keeps heads coaches from sending their assistant coaches all over the place to scout opponents.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:02 AM   #20
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Big West tie-breakers

Form explains the tie-breakers for the Big West Conference tournament seedings.

Quote:

Funny, there are a couple of tie scenarios but not sure how they break

1. I 'believe' first is head to head

2. I 'believe' a few years ago the coaches decided to then go to 'highest national ranking' as first option to break a three way tie.

3. Then they go back to head to head.

I THINK... that's what I remember being told.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM   #21
country flag gouci

Taking Time off

Here is NCAA bylaw 14.2.3.2.2

14.2.3.2.2 Tennis.

In tennis, a student-athlete who does not enroll in a collegiate institution as a full-time student in a regular academic term within six months (or the first opportunity to enroll after six months have elapsed) after his or her high school graduation date or the graduation date of his or her class (as determined by the first year of high school enrollment or the international equivalent as specified in the NCAA Guide to International Academic Standards for Athletics Eligibility and based on the prescribed educational path in the student-athlete’s country), whichever occurs earlier, shall be subject to the following:

(a) The student-athlete shall be charged with a season of intercollegiate eligibility for each calendar year after the six-month period has elapsed (or the next opportunity to enroll) and prior to full-time collegiate enrollment during which the student-athlete has participated in organized competition per Bylaw 14.02.9.

(b) After the six-month period, if the student-athlete has engaged in organized competition per Bylaw 14.02.9, on matriculation at the certifying institution, the student-athlete must fulfill an academic year in residence for each calendar year after the six-month period has elapsed (or the next opportunity to enroll) and prior to full-time collegiate enrollment during which the student-athlete has participated in such competition before being eligible to represent the institution in intercollegiate competition.

14.2.3.2.2.1 Matriculation After 20th Birthday — Tennis.

In tennis, a student who is eligible under Bylaw 14.2.3.2.2, but who participates in organized tennis events after his or her 20th birthday and before full-time enrollment at the certifying institution shall be subject to the following:

(a) The student will be charged with one season of intercollegiate tennis competition for each calendar year after his or her 20th birthday and prior to full-time enrollment at the certifying institution during which the student-athlete has participated in organized tennis eventscompetition per Bylaw 14.2.3.5.3 14.02.9. [Note: This includes participation in intercollegiate tennis while enrolled full time in another two-year or four-year institution; however, this provision replaces the season of competition counted in Bylaw 14.2 (only one season is used in any one year).]

(b) Upon matriculation at the certifying institution, the student-athlete must fulfill an academic year in residence before being eligible to represent the institution in intercollegiate tennis, unless the student transfers to the certifying institution with a minimum of 24 semester hours (or equivalent) of transferable degree credit. (Note: All other NCAA transfer and academic eligibility requirements apply.)
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #22
country flag tennisismylife1

tennisismylife1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All Readers,

The information Gouci has stated regarding the rule change applying to student athletes participating in professional competition 6 months to 1 year after their scheduled high school graduation is NOT accurate. The proposed rule change was NOT accepted as it did NOT have the required 2/3rds vote.

Next week, April 12-13th the Legislative Council will review its action because their was 61 override votes. However, as it stands now the bylaws effective Aug 2010 will remain as 1 year post graduation to play before the athlete must enroll in order to not lose eligibility

Here are the proposed changes, and the history of it is at the bottom.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/propSearch

Please be careful what you post on your forums as it could very well effect the lives of many potential student athletes.
tennisismylife1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #23
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisismylife1 View Post
Dear All Readers,

The information Gouci has stated regarding the rule change applying to student athletes participating in professional competition 6 months to 1 year after their scheduled high school graduation is NOT accurate. The proposed rule change was NOT accepted as it did NOT have the required 2/3rds vote.

Next week, April 12-13th the Legislative Council will review its action because their was 61 override votes. However, as it stands now the bylaws effective Aug 2010 will remain as 1 year post graduation to play before the athlete must enroll in order to not lose eligibility

Here are the proposed changes, and the history of it is at the bottom.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/propSearch

Please be careful what you post on your forums as it could very well effect the lives of many potential student athletes.

Your link does not go to any information, just a search page.

Here is a link that may shed light

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ws+And+Updates

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #24
country flag gouci

tennisismylife1 welcome to the board!

1. Thanks for providing a link. But you failed to realize that others can't view the linked page without knowing your "username" and "password."

2. You're a little late to the debate as this topic was cleared up on another thread. But here's a summary of what we concluded.

Here was my conclusion.

- gouci's finding.

"2nd serve" reached the same conclusion.

- 2nd serve's interpretation

- 2nd serve explains the next step.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #25
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

So its still one year, for now??? Lord, all of these posts and articles is confusing me. I feel for these 2010 seniors...

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #26
country flag tennisismylife1

tennisismylife1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need a username or password. I believe you can just refresh.

But you really shouldn't conclude on a different thread. People search and find your information, it is not really feasible to then search elsewhere to find that you made a mistake.
tennisismylife1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #27
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
You don't need a username or password. I believe you can just refresh.

But you really shouldn't conclude on a different thread. People search and find your information, it is not really feasible to then search elsewhere to find that you made a mistake.

Your link just brings up the search page. A reader might want to know the search terms of 2009-22 in the proposal number search box. (use the hyphen) The title of the proposal is.
AMATEURISM AND ELIGIBILITY -- INVOLVEMENT WITH PROFESSIONAL TEAMS -- EXCEPTION -- PRIOR TO INITIAL FULL-TIME COLLEGIATE ENROLLMENT -- DELAYED ENROLLMENT -- SEASONS OF COMPETITION -- SPORTS OTHER THAN MEN'S ICE HOCKEY AND SKIING

Also, you should scroll down to the bottom of the page, and read the paragraph about effective dates. To make it easier, I will quote it here.

Effective Date: For all provisions other than section E, as it relates to tennis: August 1, 2010; applicable to student-athletes who initially enroll full time in a collegiate institution on or after August 1, 2010. For section E as it applies to tennis: August 1, 2011, applicable to student-athletes who initially enroll full time in a collegiate institution on or after August 1, 2011. (emphasis supplied.)

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Apr 7th, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #28
country flag gouci

Quote:
I did not make a mistake. The posts made above mine consistently state the new 6 month grace period rule begins August 2011 for tennis. I just posted the specific language stating the new rule. In my post I didn't mention a start date for the new rule because a final decision won't be made until the April meetings.

The mistake was made by the tennisrecruiting.net article, which thousands of tennis players/coaches/fans probably read, about the new rule incorrectly applying to the tennis HS recruiting class of 2010.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #29
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
OK, when or does this rule take effect?
Looks like the start school after high school rule is changing again. Now it looks that the effective date for most sports is pushed back to August 2011, and that tennis is pushed back to 2012.

link

The delayed-enrollment/organized-competition portion will not take effect until August 1, 2011 (August 1, 2012 for tennis student-athletes). The Amateurism Cabinet recommended the change, and the Legislative Council agreed that allowing extra time will help with education efforts.

But warning, this may not be the final rule, stay tune to the NCAA.org website if this might effect you.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #30
country flag gouci

Walk-ons

Form talks about how to spot a walk-on.

Quote:

Walk on's cannot sign LOI's

So either the girl has verballed but didn't sign (likely) or she has signed an LOI as a 2 star...

Also, schools can only 'announce' actually signed, scholarship LOI athletes. So if UCSB never 'announces' her she is then assumed a walk on.