Articles and Interviews - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #106
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

That was also the first thing that struck me when I read that blog entry. She didn't give any credit to Mai Grage, but simply stated the fact that Grage won 2nd single in 3 sets and went on to say that she (Caroline) secured Denmark's survival in the group.
But after that she spent 1/4 of the blog entry praising her best tennis friend in Denmark and Fed Cup roommate, Malou Ejdesgaard and how great she was in her Fed Cup debut and mntioned the outcome of all 3 of her matches.
And the last team member Karina Jacobsgaard who also won a doubles match wasn't even mentioned with a single word in the blog entry.

Last edited by stangtennis : Feb 9th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
stangtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #107
country flag FormerlyKnownAs
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future

Caroline's Latest TV2 Blog

Søndag, 14. februar 2010 kl. 15:20 / sport, tennis

London / Dubai

On Tuesday I went to London to meet up with Stella McCartney and Adidas. We stayed in the middle of Oxford Street, which is the main shopping street in London, just like the walking street (Strøget) at home in Denmark. On Wednesday I had to do a photo shoot for Adidas and then to dinner with Stella. It was a great experience and we talked a lot about fashion, tennis and how it is to be a designer. After the photo shoot and dinner, I was in and see Arsenal - Liverpool with my father. It was the first time I had seen such a big match live, there were around 60,000 spectators at the match and what a great atmosphere there was throughout the showdown which Arsenal won 1-0. We got tickets from Nicklas Bendtner and we thank him very much for them. I also got to greet him after the game when he came up to me and my dad. We talked a little and it was super nice, we were very happy that he wanted to arrange some tickets for us.

Thursday noon time we travelled to Dubai where I will play my next tournament. I am for the first time in my life, seeded at number 1 in such a big tournament. It is a super nice feeling to see yourself as 1.seedet, because it shows that all the hard work pays off. When we got to Dubai I had yet another photo shoot and this time it was for the WTA. I should have pictures taken with Radwanska, Hantuchova and a couple of girlsfor the Duty Free. They were some different pictures to what I am normally accustomed to, but then, I have also tried that. I live at the Hotel Hyatt, where I've got a suite overlooking the world's tallest building, Burj Dubai. It really is a fantastic building and I am very impressed by the hard work has gone into it. It is something of a vision that meets when you get up in the morning and look out through the window.

I've have a Bye in the 1st round and meet the winner of Shvedova and Cibulkova in 2nd round. It will be either Tuesday or Wednesday I will play. This tournament has a really strong field, so you have to be ready at the first match. The matches can be followed on Eurosport this week.

All the best

Caroline

There is nothing like a live match in one of the big stadiums, I have experienced amongst others Chelsea v Tottenham at White Hart Lane.
Forget close ups, action replay etc. the atmosphere is electric and loud.
FormerlyKnownAs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #108
country flag Elisse

Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute Elisse has a reputation beyond repute

Have a little article sent out by Dubai Press Office....

Wozniacki overcomes valiant challenge from Cibulkova
- Top seed dismisses Slovak and progresses to third round -

Dubai, UAE, February 16th, 2010: Top seed Caroline Wozniacki had to battle her way into the third round of the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships on Tuesday, overcoming a valiant challenge from Slovak Dominika Cibulkova.
The Dane won 6-2 7-6, but she had to save a set point and fight her way back from 5-1 down in the second set before securing her victory by dominating the tiebreak 7-2.
It was a high quality performance by both players, with Wozniacki keen to build on the momentum that has recently taken her to a career-high three in the world, and Cibulkova anxious to regain lost ground in her career after she was hindered last year by injury and sickness.
Wozniacki claimed the first break to lead 2-0 after Cibulkova had led her first service game 40-0, and the next two games also went against serve to leave Wozniacki leading 3-1 before a netted forehand gave her a further break for the set.
But Cibulkova immediately turned things around in the second set, breaking to lead 1-0 and then holding off two break points in the next game. An easy break followed for 4-1 as the Slovak dominated with her aggressive baseline game.
Cibulkova then held off three more break points to lead 5-1, and a Wozniacki double-fault gave her set point. But Wozniacki held off that threat and began her long climb-back. The 10th game of the set was particularly impressive, as Wozniacki leveled at 5-5 by hitting two successive winning returns off a first serve.
"Dominika's a great player," said Wozniacki. "She is a fighter. She's running well, getting a lot of balls back, so I knew it was going to be a tough match.
"I think I relaxed a little bit (in the second set), and Dominika started to play really well, get more balls in play. Maybe I lost the concentration a little bit and started to play less aggressive, and she got the advantage over me. Then once I started to hit more freely and hit with better depth and a little more aggressively, I got the advantage. I just kept fighting. Even though I was down 5-1, I kept playing for every point, and that paid off in the end."
Wozniacki will next face Shahar Peer, who had little difficulty in defeating 2009 runner-up Virginie Razzano 6-2 6-2.

Facebook: Support Uzbekistan Tennis Team in 2014
Twitter: http://twitter.com/elissetennis <--- Live Tweeting from...hmmmm
- I went to Tashkent Open...yesss TASHKENT!!!! -
Davai-Akgul (3)Amanmuradova/Daniilidou (UZB/GRE) #MyDreamTeam
Elisse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #109
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future

Carolines Latest Blog From The Official Caroline Wozniack Homeside

http://www.carolinewozniacki.dk/blog/

Dubai Aftermath

Hello Everyone,

I know I have been out of touch lately, so I apologize to all of you. Now that the new season has started, I am pretty busy, as usual. I am traveling a lot again, going from tournament to tournament, and flying from country to country. Sometimes even from continent to continent.

Anyway, I am back home now, preparing for the upcoming American hard court events in Indian Wells and Key Biscayne. I am pretty excited about those tournaments; I always liked Miami. Key Biscayne is simply wonderful. I especially like Coconut Grove with its cute restaurants, and super cool shops. I also like playing in the heat, so I guess I have an advantage over some players because of my physical fitness.

As many of you may know, I played the Barclays Dubai Championships last week. I have a soft spot for Dubai, I think it has an amazing vibe and the people are nice. I was the #1 seed at the tournament, and received a bye in the first round. I am not so sure this was good; I usually like playing tournaments from day one, because I like improving my game from match to match.

Anyway, Dubai did not go the way I not-so-secretly wished it would, but Shahar played really well. I got to give her credit for her performance; she had her chances and took them. Losing early happens to everyone; it will motivate me to play even better tennis next time.

While I was there though, I did some really great things with my good friend Victoria Azarenka. We practiced a lot together, had some chatty dinners, and even went to the movies once. I also met up with Meilen Tu, a former Tour player who is now working for the company I am managed by. I also hit with Meilen once, and I can tell you, she can still hit the ball.

Vika and I have done a photo shoot for Dubai Duty free, I enjoyed that a lot. My makeup was crazy, really colorful and vibrant, and my hair was just simply great. I am looking forward to seeing all those pictures as I think they were somewhat different from what I usually do.

Speaking of photo shoots: I just had the Stella McCartney shoot in London the day before I flew out to Dubai. It went great, and I was told that I will be featured on some New York billboards. I think the photos turned out great. The makeup artists did a wonderful job, and the setting was also very professional. The video will be up on the Adidas website pretty soon, but I promise I will keep you guys updated on this one.

The best thing about the shoot was that I not only met Stella, but also her father, Paul McCartney. I got to talk to him a little, and I wish I had the nerve to ask him to sing a Beatles song for me, ha-ha. Anyway, even without a Beatles song, meeting was something I will probably remember forever. He is a legend after all.

I think this is it in a nutshell for today. Once again, thank you to all of you for supporting me, and I will check in again in a week or so.

Love,

Caroline
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #110
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Caroline Wozniackis Blog From TV2Sport

http://blog.tv2.dk/caroline.tv2/entry361045.html

Dubai / Rolex

I want this blog to tell a little about my trip to Dubai and the situation around Shahar Peer. I will not go to much into my matches, but tell little about how the security around Shahar Peer looked. She had 30 security guards and agents assigned to look after her. Distributed such that 15 of them were visible, while the remaining 15 were civilians. She had no real freedom to do what she wanted. She was constantly surrounded by security and could only go to the tennis complex in order to play or train and then back to his hotel. At the hotel there were also security guards who took care of her 24 hours a day.

There was not much she can do, other than sitting in her hotel room and wait for her to play or train. I had a little chat with her about the whole situation after our match, and she told that it only made her stronger, that circumstances were such. It made her want to make an extra effort and she was extra keen on doing so well in this tournament. Shahar Peer had to play all her matches on court 1, as that court was specially made for her. The court was equipped with custom fencing and security, so security for the matches were top notch.

Nobody knew which hotel she stayed in for safety reasons, not even her coach knew what hotel she stayed at. Many of these things really got Peer to perform at her best in a long time and she also played herself into the semifinals, before she lost to Venus Williams.

During my stay in Dubai, I not only played tennis, I also met the head of the Rolex for the first time. Where we had a really good conversation and where I got a brief introduction in Rolex history. I think it will be a great partnership because we both want to be the best and look for perfection. I am very proud to have partnered with Rolex and hope we can complement each other in the best possible way.

I work hard now towards the next tournaments in the U.S., where I aspire to get some good results. I've always felt comfortable in the U.S., so I'm looking forward to start playing matches. Now it is important to train well, so I can perform well when the Indian Wells starts on March 8.

All the best

Caroline
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #111
country flag Carofan
The Great Mrs Sunshine

Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Vika and I have done a photo shoot for Dubai Duty free, I enjoyed that a lot. My makeup was crazy, really colorful and vibrant, and my hair was just simply great. I am looking forward to seeing all those pictures as I think they were somewhat different from what I usually do.
Yep, All the guys in GM loved this photo shoot.

Quote:
Speaking of photo shoots:
Oh, you have photo shoots???

Quote:
I just had the Stella McCartney shoot in London the day before I flew out to Dubai. It went great, and I was told that I will be featured on some New York billboards. I think the photos turned out great. The makeup artists did a wonderful job, and the setting was also very professional. The video will be up on the Adidas website pretty soon, but I promise I will keep you guys updated on this one.
Please don`t. Update us if you win some matches instead.

Quote:
The best thing about the shoot was that I not only met Stella, but also her father, Paul McCartney. I got to talk to him a little, and I wish I had the nerve to ask him to sing a Beatles song for me, ha-ha. Anyway, even without a Beatles song, meeting was something I will probably remember forever. He is a legend after all.
Well, I hope you had your picture taken with him

Quote:
I think this is it in a nutshell for today. Once again, thank you to all of you for supporting me, and I will check in again in a week or so.

Love,

Caroline
Can`t wait for more about training, food and photo shoots.
Carofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #112
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A NEW BLOG FROM THE OFFICIAL CW HOMESIDE

Heading to Indian Wells… Thank you Rolex!

Hi Everyone,

As promised, I am here again. I just finished a really busy day today; I actually played twice and had a fitness session as well. These past few days, I have been training really hard in preparation for the American hard court season. Due to WTA guidelines I wasn’t able to play last week, which was tough since I like competing, but I really like Indian Wells and Key Biscayne, so I am excited to play there.

I’m traveling to Indian Wells on Friday. I’ll be staying at La Quinta Resort, which I’ve never stayed in before. I hear it is beautiful, so I am looking forward to this. I also just heard that I will probably be the #2 seed. I am obviously thrilled to be one of the top seeds again after Dubai but at the same time, I will have to get used to the feeling of having the bull’s eye on your back. I am hoping that I will do a little better than I did in Dubai, and hopefully, by the end of the tournament, I will be ranked in the top 3 again.

I am also excited to see my good friend Vika Azarenka in America. I am flying out tomorrow, and we’ll be going to the LA Lakers vs. Toronto Raptors game next week, which should be great. We always have tons of fun, so this game will probably just add to it.

Some other exciting news that I have to share is that I signed a multi-year deal with Rolex recently. I already did some appearances for them at the 2010 Australian Open, but now it is official and I can’t really describe how excited I am. They already have been great to work with and I’ve always loved their watches. Rolex has had a long presence in tennis, and I really am honored to be a part of such a prestigious team. They were kind enough to provide me with two beautiful watches at the Australian Open. They are absolutely amazing, I love them.

As for practicing, I am still doing boxing, as a cross-training and I am good at it. My right hand hits really hard, and I try not to get beaten up when we train. Funny thing is that every time I do boxing, I get so hungry. So a few nights ago, after my day was over, a couple of my friends and I grabbed steak at a great steak house. It was delicious, and I had tons of fun chatting and just hanging out with my girlfriends. I also did some yoga and Pilates. I think it increases strength, and stamina. It will give me a boost for sure. As of right now, I am staying with my brother in his apartment in Copenhagen. My mom and I spent some time in my home in Monte Carlo, too, which was nice of course.

In my last blog entry, I mentioned that I did a photo shoot for Stella McCartney. They just showed me the pictures, and they came out perfect. I think you will all like it too, once they are public that is. But my gear for the French Open and Wimbledon will absolutely be breathtaking. Along with my new Rolex watch, I think I will look pretty good .

I am pretty tired, so I am off to bed now; I am flying out to California tomorrow. Thanks for being supportive!

Love,

Caroline

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 4th, 2010 at 10:04 PM
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #113
country flag Carofan
The Great Mrs Sunshine

Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of Carofan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
A NEW BLOG FROM THE OFFICIAL CW HOMESIDE

Heading to Indian Wells… Thank you Rolex!

Hi Everyone,
Hiiiiiiiii Thank you Rolex!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #114
country flag Carofan
The Great Mrs Sunshine

Caroline Wozniacki, The Next Number One In Women's Tennis Or...?

Danish Caroline Wozniacki, still only 19 years old, has had a phenomenal 2009, advancing from 12th to 4th in the world - the highlight being her US-Open final loss where Little Miss Sunshine played another audience favourite, the reborn Kim Clijsters. Before that, she enjoyed incredible progress as well, progressing from 237th to 64th to 12th to 4th in the course of 2006-2009 year end rankings. Pretty good for a teenager to say the least and it earned her the 2008 WTA newcomer of the year ahead of Azarenka.

This year, however, is a different matter. Now she got to the top, the questions are - can she stay there? Can she rise even further? Is she a future number one? Or "merely" a consistent top ten player? Or rather the next Ivanovic?

I doubt that we see an Ivanovic scenario. Wozniacki is an extremely determined young woman and her great talent was evident early. A 12 year old Wozniacki told Danish television that she wanted to become number one in tennis. That is still the dream and the goal today and now she is closer than ever before. The 2008 Tour newcomer of the year has refused to make specific public targets for her ranking this year and there is really no reason why she should.

However, as things are now, she might have trouble keeping up her ranking. With the two Belgians returned and Sharapova also trying to make it back to the top, women's tennis has become an all together different ballgame and much harder to excel in. Sharapova is still a big if, but both Henin and Clijsters have made clear that they mean business.

Wozniacki is still 4th, but the difference between Safina (2nd at 6480) and Dementieva (7th at 4855) is not too great - all thrailing Serena at 8645. Henin still hasn't got a ranking and Clijsters and Sharapova also still have some climbing to do.

But let's not only discuss the ranking points. Let's discuss the potential. What has gotten Wozniacki up there together with the very best? Still being a teenager, she has plenty of time to improve every aspect of her game. Her strengths are her speed, her reliant, strong double-fisted backhand and above everything else - her mental game and fighting spirit (albeit not of late, see below).

She hardly ever gives up on a ball and has the ability to focus when the going gets tough. One notable exception to this, was this year's Australian Open, where she lost to Na Li in the 4th round on a day where her game and fighting spirit seemed off for most of the time. But this wasn't typical for her. If anybody doubts her fighting spirit, take a re-look at last year's WTA championships in Doha, where she won a heroic almost three hour fight against Zvonareva to ensure a place in the semis.

She battled through pains and cramps that made her cry in the final game. Having used her medical timeout, there was no other way to win it than to fight through it - so she did. In the semis, after three matches played on injuries, she eventually had to hand the match to Serena one and a half sets down.

Concerning her game and game tactics, she is more of a pusher than a basher. She can be a pusher due to her excellent speed, footwork, relatively good placement on the court and consistent ground-strokes on both sides, especially the double-fisted backhand which is her greatest stroke. She gets almost everything back at the opponent and forces her to hit that one extra stroke - a tactic that can get you remarkably far in the women's game. In a way, it reminds me a bit of Nadal when he first came on to the scene - chasing every ball, not making many unforced errors, but also not hitting that many winners.

Wozniacki hardly ever has a positive winner-unforced errors count, but she gets enough back to make the opponent lose the match by committing more unforced errors than her. Last year's US Open was a case in point (against Oudin and Kuznetsova for example), but this tactic proved obsolete against the well-playing Clijsters, who simply outhit Miss Sunshine and didn't commit enough unforced errors to let her prosper.

That said, getting to the final was a huge step for Wozniacki as critics already were starting to ask why she couldn't perform in the slams (never got beyond the fourth round before that final - but then again - is that so bad for a teenager ranked around ten at the time?). Getting to the final proved that she doesn't choke at Slams - we are yet to see her getting into the second week consecutively, but her mental game should not be what's stopping her.

Notwithstanding her US-Open success, she only averaged ten winners per match as opposed to 25-27 winners per match by players like Serena and Dementieva. She admits she can improve, but won't put her finger on as to the where. So let's see. Her serve and especially the second serve could get a lot better. The second serve is way too easy to attack and the women's tour has many great returners who can punish that. Her forehand is consistent, but not a weapon yet. She hardly hits winners with it and when the going gets tough, it often becomes too short, tentative or error prone.

Her backhand on the other hand is brilliant, but she can still use it more aggressively. Against second-tier players, a defensive tactic can be more than enough. But in the matches between the top-contenders, the aggressor usually comes out on top, so she does need to add some more aggression and attacking skills to her game.

She is a clever player and, as Murray in the men's game, no one is more aware of her shortcomings than her (but both have the natural instinct to stay back and rely on their defense - obviously Murray is a step further in his career, but in this respect they face a similar critique and challenge - and both tried to put in more offense at the Australian Open). In this year's Australian Open we saw a somewhat more offensive side of her - attacking more and coming to the net more often.

However, her results this year, hasn't matched her ambitions. An exhibition match loss to Sharapova and an early loss to Na Li predated the Australian Open, where she again lost to Na Li - being somehow out of focus - not putting in her usual fight. Same thing happened in Dubai against Shahar Pe'er. Has she lost her momentum? Former Danish top players argue that she hasn't adjusted to the new situation - no longer being the hunter, now being the hunted - and claiming that her hunger seems missing this year. That certainly was a possible conclusion seeing those matches, but knowing her professionalism and will to reach her goals, I feel confident that the hunger will return to her.

Bottom line really is - does she have the game to match Serena, Henin, Clijsters, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Venus and a confident Safina and an injury free Sharapova? Is she the one with the most potential in the new generation? What about the more aggressive and powerful Azarenka? Or Wickmayer? Or Lisicki? Well, it is hard to blame a teenager for not matching the game of a 12-double or 7-double Slam winner. But as she's been playing so far this year, she does not belong in the top five as of today and I do predict she will have a hard time keeping her position in the top five for the next couple of months. She lacks a big killer weapon.

However, a good run at RG or Wimbledon might propel her back up as she didn't excel there last year. She does belong in the top ten and on the verge on top five, but she needs to improve those minor shortcomings in her game to stay in the top five and - in time - improve further. Playing great defense without the necessary winners, she won't win the majority of the matches against the others in top ten, nor against an aggressive Petrova, Lisicki or Wickmayer. It's hard to see her up one set and 4-0 against Serena in a Slam quarter on hard court as Azarenka was. Azarenka's power matches her peers. Wozniacki doesn't - yet. She hasn't got Henin's hand, angles and touch, so she need more power and bigger weapons to stay on top.

Good thing is - she knows that and is still young enough to make those changes. Short term problem - it takes time to make these changes in her game - time that she hasn't got too much of in a fully booked tennis calendar. 2010 prediction? A year end rank clearly in top ten, but no better than fourth - probably between fourth and eight. Long term prediction?

Little Miss Sunshine will get to smile more often than not and will be a serious contender for the Slams and the top-rankings, if not in 2010, then in the years to follow when she hits her prime, matures as a player and develops bigger weapons. She is too talented and determined not to. Number one? Perhaps when Serena retires and the Belgians re-retires.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...mens-tennis-or
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #115
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks Carofan.

A pretty good article. Praise where praise is due, but objective about this year.

Not fawning, and no mention of boxing, singing, eating, football(ers) and of course photoshoots, just tennis.

A realistic look at Caroline.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #116
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/News/T...-In-Three.aspx

Wozniacki Conquers King In Three
Indian Wells, U.S.A.
by Staff | 12.03.2010

© Getty Images
Caroline Wozniacki worked hard for a win Friday in Indian Wells.

American Vania King looked on the verge of the first biggest upset of the 2010 BNP Paribas Open, up 4-1 in the third set against No. 2 seed Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark, when her opponent reeled off the final five games to complete a 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 comeback on Friday in Indian Wells.

King fought off triple break point at 4-all in the third set, but finally conceded the crucial break with an unforced error on Wozniacki’s next opportunity. The 19-year-old Dane clinched the win when King’s return sailed long on match point.

“It was a tough match,” said the World No. 4. “Vania was playing really well, but it's tough when you haven't played matches for some time to go in and start playing points again. It's different from practice to play a real match, but I'm happy that I fought through. I just kept fighting for every point and fighting till the end.”

Wozniacki achieved her best finish in Indian Wells last year, when she advanced to the quarter-finals before falling to eventual champion Vera Zvonareva. She finished the 2009 season with three titles in eight finals, including a runner-up finish at the US Open (l. to Clijsters).

Last edited by stangtennis : Mar 13th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #117
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Checking in from Indian Wells

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in Indian Wells, CA, and just wanted to give you a quick update on what I have been up to these past few days. I finished playing my first match yesterday against American Vania King. Vania played really well, and I had to battle and fight hard to beat her. I was actually down 4-1 in the third set, and very close to losing. I have to give her a lot of credit for playing so well.

My next match is not until tomorrow,so today I have been hitting a little, just practicing a few things. Other than that, my day has not been crazy busy. I had lunch with my great friend Victoria Azarenka, and now I am going to relax a bit in the La Quinta Resort. The resort is very beautiful, I love hanging out here. There are a few tennis courts, pools, restaurants around here, and I think it is simply gorgeous.

Indian Wells is a very nice place, and I really like this tournament. Whenever I get some time off, I try to spend some time with my friends, the Radwanska sisters. We already went to an Italian place, but I have to admit, we all love Cheesecake Factory, so last night, we had dinner there. At the end of our meal, we agreed on sharing a chocolate-coconut layered cake, so we each had a few bites. Not too much though, but I really enjoyed it. Delicious sin, lol…

A few days ago, I did a short shoot for All Access; it was fun. I think I did okay, and I am excited to see the end result of the shoot. I don’t know when I will have the chance, but I’d like to see it sometime soon. My next opponent is Maria Kirilenko. I think it will be a tough match, she is an accomplished player but I feel good. I think my strokes are alright, I feel confident and ready to battle. I have been working out a lot since my last tournament in Dubai, and I know it will pay off. Of course it is hard to be one of the top seeds, but at the same time, it is exciting and it actually pumps me up and makes me want to do well. I am already looking forward to my next match tomorrow!

My parents are here with me, and they seem to enjoy themselves. I actually got a complimentary car from one of the local car dealerships. It is a convertible, and I like cruising around in it. It makes life easier in Indian Wells to have a car like this.

I think this is pretty much it for today. I am soon going to have to hit a little bit again, but I will be back soon. Thanks for all the support and love.

Caroline

March 13, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Caroline's Blog | No comment
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #118
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

"She gets almost everything back at the opponent and forces her to hit that one extra stroke - a tactic that can get you remarkably far in the women's game. In a way, it reminds me a bit of Nadal when he first came on to the scene - chasing every ball, not making many unforced errors, but also not hitting that many winners."

That's exactly what I've been saying.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #119
country flag stangtennis

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/p...997547,00.html

Caroline & Aga Quotes
March 17, 2010

INDIAN WELLS, CA, USA - How hard is it to play against one of your best friends? According to Caroline Wozniacki and Agnieszka Radwanska... well, here it is in their own words after their quarterfinal wins at Indian Wells.

On separating friendship from competition...
Aga: "We went to dinner a couple of times already at this tournament. It won't make any difference in our friendship... I haven't played against her in the last two years, so it's going to be interesting."

Caroline: "You have to keep professional and see that little yellow ball and hit it inside the lines and over the net. Once you start thinking, 'Okay, it's my friend,' you lose the match. It's important not think about who's on the other side."

On the winner buying dinner...
Aga: "It's always like that. If someone wins, they buy the other one dinner, yes."

Caroline: "The winner has to, so... I hope I'm going to buy dinner."

On the dinner conversation...
Caroline: "We don't talk about tennis. There are so many other things, so we prefer just to have a totally different conversation... We have so much tennis in our daily life and practice so much, work so hard. So when we have the opportunity to just relax, it's nice to have the brain think about something else."

More on the dinner conversation...
Caroline: "Clothes, fashion, make-up, nail polish, boys... Everything!"

On what the "hot nail polish" is these days...
Caroline: "Really bright. I really like the really pink ones. Actually, I always have my nails polished. I didn't this time... maybe I should have."

On what language they use at dinner...
Aga: "Polish."

Caroline: "Polish, yeah."

On how long they have been friends...
Caroline: "I've known both of the Radwanskas equally well. All the way through juniors, since... I think we played some under 12s and under 14s together. Because we spoke the same language, it was easier to stay in contact. It was nice to have some friends on the tour."

How did Caroline and Agnieszka do in their quarterfinal matches?
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #120
country flag jasminefu623

jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of

after match interview
Quote:
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

C. WOZNIACKI/V. King
5-7, 6-2, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It was a very kind of streaky match. She had 12 straight match and at one point you were down 4-1. How did you turn it around?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It was a tough match. Vania was playing really well, but it's tough when you haven't played matches for some time to go in and start playing points again. It's different from practice to play a real match, but I'm happy that I fought through. I just kept fighting for every point and fighting till the end.

Q. In boxing parlance, it could be said you got off the floor to win today. Mikkel Kessler would be proud of you. As you noted, you were behind 4-1 the last set, and Vania just won 12 straight points. What was going through your mind at that point?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean -- I don't know. I was just telling myself, It's not over yet. She still has two more games before she wins the match.
You know, I just, yeah, I think I stepped it up a little bit at that point, and then I think she -- I think she got a little bit more nervous as well, because she knew that she could finish the match. But, you know, I just kept hanging in there, and that was the clue.

Q. Were you surprised by the level of her play throughout the match?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Um, no. I knew that she was a tough player and that she wasn't going to give me too many free points. You know, I just have to, for the next round, be more focused, especially in the important moments, because I gave too many free, easy points away today. That shouldn't have happened.

Q. Did you do anything tactically to adjust? It looked like you went after her second serve more in the last set.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I tried to do that and tried to be the one who were dictating more, because I knew that the one who was dictating the game was winning.
And of course I was trying to make my legs move a little bit more, because, yeah, so I wouldn't make too many unforced errors.

Q. Your movement is such a strength, but it can also be sort of a defense. How are you going to use your movement offensively? Is that something you want to do?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, I have to. In my game, I have to be able to do both, and change also in one rally to go from defense to offense or the other way.
You know, I just need to get some -- a few more matches, some points going, and I'm hopefully can just play better and better.

Q. I saw a little bit of the match. Your father came out. What kind of things was he telling you, and how helpful is he?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: He just kept telling me, Stay positive; move your legs; take your time till your serve. He told me to, you know -- he said, If you don't start playing more aggressively or do something differently, you're not gonna win this match. You don't have anything to lose now, because she's ahead anyways.

Q. Do you have any trouble, because it's your father, listening to everything he says?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No. You know, when he's on the court I see him as a coach. I don't see him as my father. As soon as we go off the court, he's my father.
Now it's easy for us to take these two parts and separate them.

Q. Do you think having that testing match will make you tougher for the rest of the tournament?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Hopefully. (laughter.)
You know, you never know, but hopefully. For sure I got some points in play today, and I got to run and I got to try a little bit of everything, to playing well, to playing not so well, to playing okay.
So hopefully that can make me stronger for the next round.

Q. Who do you like to win the fight on Saturday night against Joshua Clottey?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Who's fighting?

Q. That's what I thought you would say.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Who's fighting?

Q. Manny Pacquiao. He's widely considered the greatest fighter in the world at the moment.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Really?

Q. He's a little bit small to be fighting Mikkel Kessler.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: What's the weight class?

Q. Welterweight, 147.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, those I don't know too much. No. Sorry. (laughter.)

Q. Are you at all interested in watching the matches tonight?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Tonight?

Q. Yeah.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, definitely. I mean, that's very interesting, and I think it's nice to help the people in Haiti. I think it's nice that when you're able to help other people that you also think about others than yourself. I think it's a great event, and I will support it tonight for sure.

Q. Will it be fun for you to see Steffi? Not many people get to see Steffi play. She doesn't do this very much. Do you remember her when you were growing up? What do you think about watching her tonight?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, she was one of my favorite players. I remember her when I was growing up, and she's still a great player. I saw her play a little bit in Las Vegas last year when I was there. I didn't get to hit with her myself when I was there. I saw her hit some balls, and she's still striking the balls really well.
It's going to be good fun, and I'm sure they're going to enjoy themselves on court tonight.
jasminefu623 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote