Big West - 2010 News - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #16
country flag 10sFan

10sFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big West - 2010 News

Gouci, I hope to make it to the LB/UCR match, though I don't know if the UCR match will be much of a basis for insight into the Armstrong/Dallara controversy. UCR's #1 had a decent tournament season, but has not played well the last couple of matches and has moved to #2. Taylor started out kind of rocky, but played well in the second set against Utah when she showed the potential I think she has. In my opinion, UCR's current #1 is playing ahead of those two primarily because she has been more consistent, and I expect everyone, including her, would like to see the other two regain their form so that she can play #3, where she might have more success.

I know Julie, so no comment except to say that I like Julie, and yet the story doesn't surprise me I will say that though I don't know her, based on her reputation, the LB coach seems a bit like Julie's high school coach in attitude and disposition.

While I think team chemistry is certainly desirable, it can be difficult to achieve in an individual sport like tennis. I think that the best tennis players will tend to be pretty individualistic because it takes a tremendous amount of confidence to go out and play a singles match, knowing that the entire team is relying on you. Any player that possesses that degree of confidence, is not likely to be easily intimidated by a coach. I expect coaches to demand hard work and commitment, but in my mind, the best coaches will gain the player's respect, and then use that respect to lead the players to play the way they want them to.

I also think that college coaches have to respect the fact that the players have a commitment to getting an education. To their credit both UCI and LB does seem to do that as I seem to recall that UCR and LB had something like 4 BW scholar athletes last year, while UCI had 3. While in Vegas, I met a recent UCR tennis alum that is one of several now in med school, and personally I see that as a very positive testament to the program. The UCR players aren't taking any of those mickey mouse classes like Miss Hammel

It should be a fun season, and I really hope injuries don't mar the season for any of the teams! I would like to see the best team win, and the other teams strive to become the best!
10sFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #17
country flag 10sFan

I absolutely agree that succeeding in education and athletics are not mutually exclusive, and if the motivation is there, the athlete *will* succeed in both because the same dedication and willingness to sacrifice to achieve a goal is required for each. But I think that is true primarily for the typical majors such as Bus Ad. When you begin talking about engineering or science majors, with pre med as probably the extreme, it takes an exceptional student athlete to succeed academically, and compete at a high level, because the academics are just too demanding. If I were a coach, I would certainly consider a student's intended major as a factor in evaluating a candidate because a demanding major will take its toll on the athlete.

Do you happen to know how many of the LB starters are bio or chem majors for example? UCI as a whole is absolutely filled with bio/chem pre-med, pre-pharmaceutical et al majors, and yet I suspect that Stephanie is the only one starting for UCI.

I don't really mean to disagree because I do think that the discipline learned through sports improves a students ability to succeed both academically, and in life. I am sure that the school's resources and interest in maintaining an athlete's eligibility can also assist a student who might otherwise struggle.

The NCAA's tougher requirements for admission eligibility also seems to be having an impact on junior players, as the word is getting out that athletes who focus exclusively on their sport to the detriment of their academics, are finding the college doors closed to them.

Thanks for the comments - I appreciate the time that you and GoUCI put into the forum, as I am learning a great deal.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #18
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Nationally ranked players

Players in the Big West ranked on 2/18/10.

Singles

93. Sofia Novak - UC Santa Barbara

120. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly

122. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

- Stephanie Hammel will be ranked again when the next list comes out. She has wins over newly ranked:

#58 Julia Trunk
#124 Megan Alexander

- Jenifer Widjaja's ranking was pulled down by a loss to unranked Gabriela Niculescu. But her ranking will skyrocket with wins over newly ranked:

#53 Mary Weatherholt (improved from #116)
#54 Stacy Tan
#61 Liudmila Vasilieva (improved from #124)
#81 Ute Schnoy
#113 Molly Scott

Doubles

55. Rachel Manasse / Jaklin Alawi - Long Beach St.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #19
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

Well Saturday's match between UCI and LBSU should be for the regular season title. I believe that it will be a hard fought and very competitive match but without KM, and with three other freshman in the line up playing so early in the season, I have to give the nod to UCI. Darn, it was hard for me to type that . My season predictions are:

Regulars Season:

1. UCI
2. LBSU
3. Cal Poly
4. UCSB
5. Pacific
6. UCD
7. Northridge
8. Fullerton
9. Riverside

However, I see LBSU winning the BW tourney with or without KM since the other freshman should have improved immensely. LBSU seems to always improve more than the other conference schools along the way.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #20
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Rob how about Julie Luzar. Will the insubordinate one from LBS's last win over UCI be playing singles Sat.?

Rob I'm interested to get your honest opinion, if Dallara & Armstrong played against each other who do you think would win?
How about if Armstrong played against Manasse? I'll answer the question 1st. In my honest opinion I think both Dallara and Manasse have recovered enough from their injury and would beat Armstrong in singles head to head.

Last edited by gouci : Feb 19th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #21
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

I want to go to LBS...but doesn't it rain tomorrow?
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM   #22
country flag gouci

LBS banners

At the LBS-UCI match there were new banners hanging over the 49er tennis courts.

For 2002 #5 singles Cheryl Kindred was on the banner. What no love for #1 Anastasia Dvornikova or #3 Alena Dvornikova who deserves more credit for Long Beach St. winning that 2002 championship.

For 2006 WALK-ON Krystina Katayama was on the banner. Katayama didn't even play singles or doubles during the Big West Tournament in 2006. What no love for #2 singles Katy Williams who deserves more credit for LBS winning that 2006 championship.

I like how Long Beach St. is trying to rewrite history in terms of who should be credited on those banners for winning those league titles. So all those 49ers that didn't graduate from LBS, and there are a lot of them, will there heads be cut out of the team pictures like what girls do to pictures with their boyfriends after they've been dumped.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM   #23
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

Gouci, I am enjoying how deep in your bag of tricks you need to go after UCI goes down to LBSU once again. Using banners as a tool is getting pretty pathetic. Sooner or later you will be able to talk about a win but that will not happen for at least another 3 or 4 years... if ever . Go Beach!
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #24
country flag 10sFan

Sorry GoUCI, as much as I would like to see UCI win at the tourney, I kind of agree with the guys on this one. I don't know what impact KM will have on the outcome, but if I were Mike, I wouldn't be wasting time worrying about KM or banners. Byron can certainly improve her doubles play so that UCI doesn't have to rely on chance to take the doubles point, and that will also preserve more of Hammel's energy for singles. I think Hammel has the weapons that she needs to defeat Dallara - She just needs the right strategy. I didn't watch enough of the #2 on Saturday, but I watched more of Alawi against UCR, and she has some weaknesses as well, and Mike needs to develop a strategy to exploit them. There will never be any certainty in a tennis match, but the team that does the preparation will put themselves in the best position to win. It is too bad that tennis coaches don't exchange videos like football coaches, but there is nothing that prohibits UCI sending scouts to watch some Beach matches is there? I bet LB scouts have been to watch UCI matches.

I think part of the reason that UCR did as well against LB as they did, was that the LB coaching staff did not anticipate much of a battle, and had not done the preparation that they obviously put into the UCI match. The head coach and Grady were kept pretty busy making adjustments to try and right the ship, as players became so frustrated that they were being warned for ball abuse and foreign language outbursts. If UCR meets LB in the tourney, no doubt LB will come better prepared.

Perhaps it was even a disadvantage to UCI that they won the doubles point, as they perhaps relaxed a bit too much going into the singles. Even when UCI seemed to have several of the singles matches in hand in the first set, I feared it was not over, because the LB girls will always battle, and the LB coaches will always be making adjustments, and I respect and appreciate that, even in an opponent.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #25
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sFan View Post
... but there is nothing that prohibits UCI sending scouts to watch some Beach matches is there?
You know Form was positive I was serving as this UCI scout last season like when St. Mary's played at Long Beach St.
Maybe he's right?

10sFan thanks for the LBS at UCR account.

I don't know which cracks me up more, LBS putting a walk-on on their championship banner or LBS getting warned for foreign language outbursts. .
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #26
country flag 10sFan

I guess I can see that - if you are familiar with the players from the tournament season, there is no need to scout a dual match. I could certainly be accused of scouting, but I actually just enjoy great tennis, and college tennis is an incredible value - You can see some great tennis for just the cost of parking. I also know a handful of the players from the Juniors, and enjoy seeing how they develop. I guess I will have to buy sweatshirts from the various schools so that I can blend in

The UCR/LB match certainly must be one of the stranger matches on record. The doubles went quickly except at 3, and then 6 and 4 singles must have taken less than 30 minutes, but the score then remained at 3-0 for certainly more than 90 minutes, and probably closer to 2 hours, until Dallara finally prevailed at 1. The 3rd sets had just begun at 2 and 3, and 5 was about to begin a 3rd set, but it was changed to a tie-breaker because the match was resolved. The LB coach certainly deserves credit for scheduling a challenging match the afternoon before their biggest match Actually, I think the 2, 3, and 5 probably did benefit for the UCI match, but probably not Dallara, because she faced a completely different style of player than Hammel. That might even be why she was a little rough in the first set the next day.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #27
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sFan View Post
I guess I can see that - if you are familiar with the players from the tournament season, there is no need to scout a dual match. I could certainly be accused of scouting, but I actually just enjoy great tennis, and college tennis is an incredible value - You can see some great tennis for just the cost of parking. I also know a handful of the players from the Juniors, and enjoy seeing how they develop. I guess I will have to buy sweatshirts from the various schools so that I can blend in
Do you watch high school tennis too? If you do, were you threatened and ejected like me?
And most of the time, you don't even have to pay parking fee Park at the near residential area!
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #28
country flag 10sFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Do you watch high school tennis too? If you do, were you threatened and ejected like me?
And most of the time, you don't even have to pay parking fee Park at the near residential area!
Haha - Yes, I have watched high school matches, but no ejections yet. I will have to add that to my bucket list

I will have to try out your suggestion for parking, but I am still a noob and just learning how to find the courts period, let alone the cheap parking.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #29
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

The NCAA does prohibit schools from paying any expenses for a coach to scout upcoming opponents.

In basketball, football and women's volleyball, off-campus, in-person scouting is strictly prohibited except at tournaments where a team is participating and then coaches can watch other games.

In sports other than those three, coaches wouldn't be able to receive any money to cover expenses. Furthermore, if a coach is traveling as part of the team or on a recruiting trip, then the coach is not allowed to scout during that trip. See NCAA Bylaw 11.6.2.

I guess if a coach wanted to drive across town and watch a match, he/she could, but this rule really protects the coaches from themselves since not being able to pay for scouting trips keeps heads coaches from sending their assistant coaches all over the place to scout opponents.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM   #30
country flag gouci

Re: Nationally ranked players

Representatives from the Big West ranked on 3/2/10.

Singles

73. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

80. Stephanie Hammel - UC Irvine

93. Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

Doubles

60. Steffi Wong / Alexa Lee - Cal Poly

Team

46. Long Beach St.

64. UC Irvine

71. Cal Poly