Margaret Court... - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #46
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all
Re: Margaret Court...

See the thread "Courting Controversy"-post #4 (Rollo)

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
newmark401 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #47
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
No, in my book, Steffi stands atop the GOAT list. It's not just about total Slams. (For the men's game, would Emerson then outrank everyone save Sampras and Federer, even Laver? Me thinks not!)

Steffi won 22 majors. Court 24. When you look at time spent as #1. How all the top players fared in big match situations, and how they competed, and were able to dominate, that is why Graf outranks Madge.

PS - Graf and Court both won a singles Slam, and both won 3 out of the 4 majors four times in a single year. Of course Graf won majors on hard court, grass, and clay. Madge never played a hard court Slam, and won 19 of her 24 on grass - the surface she was raised on. Graf only had opportunities to win Slams on the surface she was raised on - clay - at the French. And it's always ironic clay was considered Steffi's "worst" surface for much of her career. So bad she "only" won 6 times in Paris!

Madge still has a lot of numbers and records in her favor. Yet I never heard anyone say that if they had to bet on one player to take a winner take all, match-for-your-life situation, that they'd bet on Court.
Well, when it came to Slam finals Margreat did quite well. Of her 28 Slam finals she lost to Bueno, who on a given day was nearly unbeatable, twice. She lost to BJK in an AO final, which was one of her first tournaments back after her first retirement. She lost, being pregnant, one to Goolagong. She beat king in 2 Wimby finals, a US final and 1 AO final. She beat Evert in the FO final, and Bueno in several Slam finals. She won about 190 finals in all-WHICH MAKES HER A PRETTY SAFE BET, IMO!!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #48
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk View Post
Her dour presence at the Aussie Open final ceremony this year made me wonder why she bothered turning up in the first place. It was like she was forced to be there.
She was always a shy person who did not seek the limelight. I was very happy that both Justine and Serena were friendly towards her and very respectful of her place in tennis history. She and Justine had a brief conversation that had them both smiling.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #49
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Madge - still waiting for an expert to come forth and declare that yup, in a winner-take-all, match of your life, one pick and one pick only, that it would be Madge who they would put all their marbles on. The gal who beat up on all-time great Jan Lehane in all those Aussie finals? Or someone else? Madge takers, anyone?
ANYONE?

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #50
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Madge - still waiting for an expert to come forth and declare that yup, in a winner-take-all, match of your life, one pick and one pick only, that it would be Madge who they would put all their marbles on. The gal who beat up on all-time great Jan Lehane in all those Aussie finals? Or someone else? Madge takers, anyone?
ANYONE?
Who knows? "The lord" works in mysterious ways.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #51
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she did beat Jan Lehane in a few Aussie Finals. She also beat players like KING, BUENO, GOOLAGONG, TURNER, WADE, RICHEY etc along the way in others. So again, bag her out if you wish. It's not all black and white like Mrs. King would have you believe.

As for match of your life bet - well she won 24 out of 28 Grand Slam Finals - so it might not be such a bad bet to put your money on her based on those results.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #52
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

See the Thread Courting Controversy...

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #53
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

See thread on Courting Controversy...

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
newmark401 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #54
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

See post in thread titled "Courting Controversy"

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #55
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who knows? "The lord" works in mysterious ways.
Margaret and fellow Aussie Tony Roche were both helped tremendously by a faith healer. I'm not sure how serious Court's injury was, but for Tony it was career threatening. So you may be right!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #56
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold

see post #9 in the Courting controversy thread (Rollo)

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
nelslus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #57
country flag thrust

See post #10 of the "Courting Controversy" thread. (Rollo)

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #58
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold

See post #11 of the "Courting Controversy" thread. (Rollo)

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
nelslus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #59
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to do two things based on two principles.

#1. In the interest of staying on topic about Court's tennis there will be no more posts in this thread that opine on Court's views outside of tennis.

#2 In the interest of preserving free speech I have created a thread here:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=402826

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #60
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
We are going to do two things based on two principles.

#1. In the interest of staying on topic about Court's tennis there will be no more posts in this thread that opine on Court's views outside of tennis.

#2 In the interest of preserving free speech I have created a thread here:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=402826
Thanks so much Rollo! As a tennis fan I am thrilled to be able to come in here and talk about Margaret and her tennis exploits without having to be subjected to hatred. This is a great step forward. As for the other thread, I will not even lower myself to view it. Let people bash away in there and hopefully they might find some fun in that.

I also would like to add that haters and bashers are no better than the people they are bashing IMO. So I am going to steer clear of that thread esp as I follow Esther Hicks and her teachings. What you focus on only grows in energy - the universal law of attraction.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..

Last edited by tennisvideos : Feb 23rd, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote