Margaret Court... - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #31
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all
Re: Margaret Court...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
DennisFitz - you say it's not all about the Slams, and then you come into a Margaret Court thread and start spouting off that Steffi Graf is the GOAT. Well I think that's a bit rich. Especially I have lots of data and records which show that Court has a lot of numbers that not many players can compare with except maybe Connolly, Lenglen and Wills. All of whom are shockingly overlooked by many in these ego driven conversations.

But if you want to talk about some facts. in the modern era only Evert can compare with Court on all around singles winning percentages. And winning 200 Singles titles! No one comes close to that. And in only 12 full seasons on tour! And you are also not factoring in her amazing doubles and mixed records.

As for years at number 1 in singles, I don't think Court could have achieved any more than she did:

She was world #1 for 7 years.
From 1962-5 (she retired in 1966 and really only came back at the end of 67),
From 1969-70 (retired in 71 to have her first baby and came back at the end of 72)
In 1973 (retired in 74 to have her 2nd baby). Pretty amazing.

So the ONLY year from when she first made #1 until she retired for her second child in 1974 that she wasn't #1 after playing a full season was 1968. Obviously she was still honing her game after 18 months off the tour. But boy did she make up for it, winning 8 of the 9 GS titles she competed in from 1969 until 1971. What on earth could she have achieved had she not have gotten pregnant before Wimbledon in 71. Considering that her peak years were 69, 70 up until Wimbledon in 71, and then when she came back from pregnancy she won 3 of the 4 slams in 73 I think you can only surmise she most likely would have dominated 72 as well.

There is a lot more data I can call on, but why should I? This isn't a thread about the GOAT, and I don't believe there is one.

When you talk about the men, I totally agree with you. Emerson was a tier 2 player compared to Laver, Rosewall and Gonzales, all of whom were barred from the slams while Emerson racked up his total. I think Laver, Rosewall and Gonzales all would have accumulated around 20 slams each had they have been able to play all the slams. Rosewall won 8 Slams and yet 11 of his peak years from playing the slams.
Someone asked me if I rated Madge as THE GOAT. And I said, No, in my book it's Steffi. That's *my* opinion, which I am entitled to. I never disputed any of what Margaret achieved. But as you may recall, I don't live in WouldaCouldaShoulda land. Nor I do subscribe to nor surmise about what Margaret would have achieved if any circumstance were different. I only go by what actually happened. Margaret won a lot of tournaments, and a lot of matches.

PS - Steffi does compare with Evert & Court in terms of overall winning %. Chris had 90%, Steffi had 89% for her career.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #32
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Someone asked me if I rated Madge as THE GOAT. And I said, No, in my book it's Steffi. That's *my* opinion, which I am entitled to. I never disputed any of what Margaret achieved. But as you may recall, I don't live in WouldaCouldaShoulda land. Nor I do subscribe to nor surmise about what Margaret would have achieved if any circumstance were different. I only go by what actually happened. Margaret won a lot of tournaments, and a lot of matches.

PS - Steffi does compare with Evert & Court in terms of overall winning %. Chris had 90%, Steffi had 89% for her career.
Well if you want facts ...

Court has 24 GS Singles
Court has 62 GS Titles
Court has 200 Singles Titles
Court has 159 Doubles Titles
Court has 91% Career Singles Win/Loss Record
Court won Calendar GS
Court won 3/4 Slams in 4 other years
Court has 2 x Grand Slam Box Sets (all titles)

I don't think anyone in the modern era can top these base stats. You asked for facts so there you have it.

Graf has an amazing record in many regards too. And both deserve to be included as all time greats.

Who was greater? No one will ever know. This intangible can never be quantified - we are comparing apples and oranges. We can agree to disagree on the GOAT discussion, but one thing I am sure we both agree on - both Court and Graf are all time greats.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #33
country flag JohnBoy

JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all

See post #2 of Courting Controversy Thread (Rollo)

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 10:55 PM.
JohnBoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #34
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

See post #3 in Courting controversy..(Rollo)
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 19th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #35
country flag rabbits

rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold rabbits is a splendid one to behold

phenomenal career stats, and a lovely little arena in her name at Melbourne
rabbits is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #36
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbits View Post
phenomenal career stats, and a lovely little arena in her name at Melbourne
Ooh rabbits, I love the avatar and signature. Rosewall is my all time fave male player.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #37
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well if you want facts ...

Court has 24 GS Singles
Court has 62 GS Titles
Court has 200 Singles Titles
Court has 159 Doubles Titles
Court has 91% Career Singles Win/Loss Record
Court won Calendar GS
Court won 3/4 Slams in 4 other years
Court has 2 x Grand Slam Box Sets (all titles)

I don't think anyone in the modern era can top these base stats. You asked for facts so there you have it.

Graf has an amazing record in many regards too. And both deserve to be included as all time greats.

Who was greater? No one will ever know. This intangible can never be quantified - we are comparing apples and oranges. We can agree to disagree on the GOAT discussion, but one thing I am sure we both agree on - both Court and Graf are all time greats.
As much as I don't like Court (actually I do like her, I just question her 11 Australian titles in the scheme of greatness), she is, if looked at statistically, the greatest. There's no ifs or buts about that if we're only looking at numbers. Which is why I always chuckle when Graf fans try to prove with numbers that she's the greatest.

Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #38
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

This will still be going round in circles long after we are all gone.

I jsut don't know enough pre-WWII to make a proper assessment but post then while I know most don't agree I personally have Maureen Connolly as my alltime greatest because of the dominance she achieved in the period she ruled which I consider long enough to be significant.

I see four players after that -in alphabetical order - Margaret Court, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova - who are all very close. Each will be stronger or weaker in certain areas and there is a case for having them in any order. Personally I have Margaret at the top of these four but I don't have a problem with with anyone who objectively looks at the stats and has different order - I can respect that.

But there are those who try to belittle Margaret's record who are quite simply nuts. To belittle Margaret achievemnets is akin to belittling the women's game.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #39
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

"Court won 3/4 Slams in 4 other years"

Margaret Court arrived at Wimbledon five times having won the Australian and French Champs earlier in the year, in 1962, 1964, 1969, 1970 and 1973, but only in 1970 was she able to win the third major of the year as well. I think Wimbledon was/is such a Mecca for Australian players (and, of course, for players from other countries) that the added pressure there got to Marge, great as she was. Players like Lenglen, Wills and Connolly probably coped better with that pressure.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #40
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
"Court won 3/4 Slams in 4 other years"

Margaret Court arrived at Wimbledon five times having won the Australian and French Champs earlier in the year, in 1962, 1964, 1969, 1970 and 1973, but only in 1970 was she able to win the third major of the year as well. I think Wimbledon was/is such a Mecca for Australian players (and, of course, for players from other countries) that the added pressure there got to Marge, great as she was. Players like Lenglen, Wills and Connolly probably coped better with that pressure.
Perhaps, but I'm not sure I fully agree.

Certainly 1962 could be such a case. 1961 was Margaret's first year on the world circuit and outside the Slams she could be said to have been the #1 player - her lack of experience let her down where it mattered.

As you say Wimbledon was the Holy Grail for Aussie players and I am sure going into it in 1962 as hot favourite and halfway to the Grand Slam did get to her given her still relative lack of experience especially when you think she had a winning lead in the final set against Billie Jean. However, even at that stage BJ was still a force to be reckoned with on grass and it was a hellsih first round draw to get.

The others are more open to question. Maria Bueno was one of the greats on grass around the 60s - 3 Wimbledons and 4 US titles. She was just the better player on the day in 1964 - it could have gone either way.

Although clay springs immediately to mind when you mention Chris Evert one tends not to realise just how a good a player she was on grass. Admittedly Martina Navratilova was the better on that surface but although she usually had the better of Chris on that surface it was never an easy match for her. Evert was perfectly capable of beating Margaret on grass -I don't believe 1973 was down to nerves. The scorline was pretty wierd as well 6-1 1-6 6-1 - what on earth do you make of that?

Much as I admire Ann Jones you could never claim she was quite in the same class as those we have already mentioned but she was a very fine player. All those who have seen the Wimby semi against Court in 1969 agree she was a player inspired and on a mission that day playing well above herself. After 14 years of top clas tennis she finally produced her first ever topspin backhand in competitve play! I believe she might even have beaten the great Navratilova on that occasion so fired up was she.

Margaret herself remarked afterwards that she had played well that day - Mrs Jones had simply played better.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #41
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
Perhaps, but I'm not sure I fully agree.

Certainly 1962 could be such a case. 1961 was Margaret's first year on the world circuit and outside the Slams she could be said to have been the #1 player - her lack of experience let her down where it mattered.

As you say Wimbledon was the Holy Grail for Aussie players and I am sure going into it in 1962 as hot favourite and halfway to the Grand Slam did get to her given her still relative lack of experience especially when you think she had a winning lead in the final set against Billie Jean. However, even at that stage BJ was still a force to be reckoned with on grass and it was a hellsih first round draw to get.

The others are more open to question. Maria Bueno was one of the greats on grass around the 60s - 3 Wimbledons and 4 US titles. She was just the better player on the day in 1964 - it could have gone either way.

Although clay springs immediately to mind when you mention Chris Evert one tends not to realise just how a good a player she was on grass. Admittedly Martina Navratilova was the better on that surface but although she usually had the better of Chris on that surface it was never an easy match for her. Evert was perfectly capable of beating Margaret on grass -I don't believe 1973 was down to nerves. The scorline was pretty wierd as well 6-1 1-6 6-1 - what on earth do you make of that?

Much as I admire Ann Jones you could never claim she was quite in the same class as those we have already mentioned but she was a very fine player. All those who have seen the Wimby semi against Court in 1969 agree she was a player inspired and on a mission that day playing well above herself. After 14 years of top clas tennis she finally produced her first ever topspin backhand in competitve play! I believe she might even have beaten the great Navratilova on that occasion so fired up was she.

Margaret herself remarked afterwards that she had played well that day - Mrs Jones had simply played better.
Indeed, full props to Anne Jones. 1969 Wimbledon seemed to be her destiny - and the way she played that Semi Final was something to behold. I am inspired everytime I see this match for she was unstoppable that day. The first set is an absolute epic and Anne just wore Margaret down, not only with her tenacity but some incredible gets as well. The final was anti-climactic in terms of quality but the thrill of a British victory certainly made up for that. As you say Chris, I don't believe anyone could have beaten Anne this year, and certainly not on that Semi-Final day. Margaret played well! It was just Anne Jones' time.

1964 was indeed anybody's match and Maria just turned on her inspired play at the right times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside;
This will still be going round in circles long after we are all gone.

I jsut don't know enough pre-WWII to make a proper assessment but post then while I know most don't agree I personally have Maureen Connolly as my alltime greatest because of the dominance she achieved in the period she ruled which I consider long enough to be significant.

I see four players after that -in alphabetical order - Margaret Court, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova - who are all very close. Each will be stronger or weaker in certain areas and there is a case for having them in any order. Personally I have Margaret at the top of these four but I don't have a problem with with anyone who objectively looks at the stats and has different order - I can respect that.

But there are those who try to belittle Margaret's record who are quite simply nuts. To belittle Margaret achievemnets is akin to belittling the women's game.
Very well put Chris. This is exactly what I have been saying for years. When people try to drag down the records of other players (any of them), they are indeed belittling not only the game, but the greats who competed against that very same player.

I also agree with you that post WWII, that Maureen Connolly displayed the greatest domination of any player and very well could be the GOAT if we define such a thing. But I never discount Mlle. Lenglen from such discussions - she is one of my all time idols and must always be included in my discussions.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #42
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

"Although clay springs immediately to mind when you mention Chris Evert one tends not to realise just how a good a player she was on grass. Admittedly Martina Navratilova was the better on that surface but although she usually had the better of Chris on that surface it was never an easy match for her. Evert was perfectly capable of beating Margaret on grass -I don't believe 1973 was down to nerves. The scorline was pretty wierd as well 6-1 1-6 6-1 - what on earth do you make of that?"

I think Chris Evert was out for revenge that day because she had been beaten a few weeks earlier by Margaret Court in the final of the French Open after Evert had led 7-6, 5-3. The fact that Marge beat her shows just how good Marge was on clay, never mind fast surfaces. I remember seeing a photo of the two players after the 1973 semi-final, and Chris Evert looked as cool, calm and collected as ever, while Margaret Court looked as if she had been through the mill. It's strange that Billie Jean King beat Chris Evert so easily in the Wimbledon final a couple of days later, but Evert was definitely overwhelemed by the enormity of her first Wimbledon final.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:10 AM   #43
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Chris Evert was out for revenge that day because she had been beaten a few weeks earlier by Margaret Court in the final of the French Open after Evert had led 7-6, 5-3. The fact that Marge beat her shows just how good Marge was on clay, never mind fast surfaces. I remember seeing a photo of the two players after the 1973 semi-final, and Chris Evert looked as cool, calm and collected as ever, while Margaret Court looked as if she had been through the mill. It's strange that Billie Jean King beat Chris Evert so easily in the Wimbledon final a couple of days later, but Evert was definitely overwhelemed by the enormity of her first Wimbledon final
I suspect Court was not near her best that day. According to the New York Times she served 9 double faults. Giving due credit to Chris the match report noted how accurate her lobs were-she put 6 over Mag's head that dropped in the court near the baseline "like postage stamps".

These two liked to have their 3 set matches-a few montghs later it was Court who won in 3 at Forest Hills.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #44
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When people try to drag down the records of other players (any of them), they are indeed belittling not only the game, but the greats who competed against that very same player.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #45
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well good for you. Have you ever met her or sat down and had a conversation with her so you could form a more accurate opinion?

Margaret Court, along with every other human being on the planet, has many sides to her. On the one hand she doesn't approve of the gay lifestyle, but on the other hand she provides many services to help the poor and needy. So you just can't say she is one thing. She has good and bad points like most of us in the human condition. Judge her if you wish, but just remember we all have our faults.

I was hoping this might be a thread about Margaret Court the tennis player, considering we were on a tennis message board ...
A very well spoken point, tennisvideos. If more folks in our world could see the whole of other's beliefs and actions, we'd be a lot better off. You are to be commended for your support of Margaret Court. The GOAT debate will go on and on, but it's clear to me at this point that Court, Graf, Navratilova and Evert are the leading contenders!
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote