Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #31
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

In 1991 Steffi played Patricia Hy from Canada and Steffi was in so much pain on her shoulder that she couldn't slice her backhand anymore and played double handed in the third set. Steffi won the set 6:2 (if I remember well) but was forced to cancell the rest of the tournament (and Toronto and Washington). Apparently the problems started because she had tried new raquets.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #32
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscho99 View Post
Selecao82m an interesting nick that is!
Thanks thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscho99 View Post
Did you watch the Brazil matches at the 1982 WC with a Brazil jersey in front of the TV, too ... ?
Of course!! ... But, not only this. After every goal of the Seleção I went outside in front of the house, screaming "Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool do Braziiiiiiiiiiiiiiillll" and dancing a wild Samba for some minutes.

Naw, just kidding ... but, no kidding now, I remember very well that I threw something to the TV during that grim match vs. Italy when the Seleção had a good chance for a goal but missed. I can't remember what exactly it was that I threw, but I guess that it wasn't something heavy or hard because the TV had no damage thereafter.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #33
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
In 1991 Steffi played Patricia Hy from Canada and Steffi was in so much pain on her shoulder that she couldn't slice her backhand anymore and played double handed in the third set. Steffi won the set 6:2 (if I remember well) but was forced to cancell the rest of the tournament (and Toronto and Washington). Apparently the problems started because she had tried new raquets.
sacrilege !
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #34
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.newsroom.barclays.com/con...2&NewsAreaID=2
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #35
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Steffi's fed cup career started in 1986 in czechoslowakia but she broke her toe when she got a sunshade(?) on her foot while running to fast
I don't think she played in 1988 due to her full schedule with the olympics and all.
She played in 1989 in Tokio (quarterfinal)
In 1990 she was injured (surgery)
In 1991 (Birmingham) she retired during the tournament with a shoulderinjury
In 1993 (Frankfurt) she lost to Nicole Provis and the whole Germany media called a betrayer because Peter Graf was carrying all the startmoney in bags so they claimed she lost on purpose because the money was in the house (Steffi blamed her loss on her shoulder)
In 1994 she refused to play see above (well she played Mahwah which wasn't that smart because she bashed Monica for doing that in 1991)
In 1995 she didn't play either
In 1996 she also played against Austria

That was the last time because the other years she was either injured and also mad at the German tennis association because they didn't treat her with the respect she deserved. Becker and Stich got a contract with money and Steffi didn't (well something like that)
The love was over for good.
Maybe she went to play Mahwah just to make sure the Federation knew she could play but didn't want to play for them. How could anyone possibly suspect she would ever lose on purpose? Then, knowing the german media, I don't know how real the stories about Peter Graf are. I remember I read something about that story of the german federation giving all for Boris and Stich. She said something, but I think she was offended by the fact they would have done and give everything to have them playing,but they didn't seem to care about her and the women in general.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #36
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

"Roger Federer and Steffi Graf were named as the top male and female sports role models respectively in a survey of 1,500 people run by Barclays - sponsors of the English Premier League."

Articles:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080220...odel-list.html

http://www.examiner.com/x-23531-Oakl...dels-poll-says
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #37
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
Maybe she went to play Mahwah just to make sure the Federation knew she could play but didn't want to play for them. How could anyone possibly suspect she would ever lose on purpose? Then, knowing the german media, I don't know how real the stories about Peter Graf are. I remember I read something about that story of the german federation giving all for Boris and Stich. She said something, but I think she was offended by the fact they would have done and give everything to have them playing,but they didn't seem to care about her and the women in general.
I thought it was very rude from the German media especially since Steffi had never lost a fed cup singles match before. Of course it was a strange loss, maybe the strangest loss of her career, because it really came out of nothing but still it was low imho

Now I wonder if it was really her strangest loss, maybe the only match that compares was masters 1992 but but at least Lori McNeil often made life tough for her (before and of course after) and Steffi clearly overplayed herself that fall (4 tournaments and an exhibition tournament)
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #38
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

THANKS to Bia and Seleçao for their links.

And about the fed cup defeat and the German media being rude, well, nothing new, lol.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #39
country flag bia

Quote:
I thought it was very rude from the German media especially since Steffi had never lost a fed cup singles match before. Of course it was a strange loss, maybe the strangest loss of her career, because it really came out of nothing but still it was low imho

Now I wonder if it was really her strangest loss, maybe the only match that compares was masters 1992 but but at least Lori McNeil often made life tough for her (before and of course after) and Steffi clearly overplayed herself that fall (4 tournaments and an exhibition tournament)
Unfortunately I have never seen that match, I couldn't see german TV back then and Italian Tv didn't show it, of course. But I know there have been matches where Steffi's head wasn't totally in, sometimes she just got nervous apparently with no reason.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #40
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
"Roger Federer and Steffi Graf were named as the top male and female sports role models respectively in a survey of 1,500 people run by Barclays - sponsors of the English Premier League."

Articles:

thanks for the good news Seleção82, We should celebrate.for me steffi and sampras (i'm not a fan of him)are better rolemodels than federer
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #41
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Sampras? He strikes me as the shallowest and most self-absorbed type of person - great tennis player though (being shallow and self absorbed probably very useful in that regard...).
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #42
country flag camilia

camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of camilia has much to be proud of

I think Steffi and Roger are a fair pick!
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #43
country flag scielle

scielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Andre Agassi, Carlos Santana and Steffi Graff backstage in The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel on Feb. 6, 2010.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2010/feb/07/60806/
scielle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #44
country flag Jessyka

Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light Jessyka is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post

Articles:

I just saw that on a brazilian newspaper! Cool!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #45
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyka View Post
I just saw that on a brazilian newspaper! Cool!
can you translate that article to english with a scan of original article?
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote