Others' tributes to Steffi Graf! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #1
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future
Others' tributes to Steffi Graf!

Post here what others commented on Steffi!

Note: Please note that we should not post our own tributes (i mean fan tributes)here,and ,only post tributes from famous people in tennis,other sports and other fields.
"She's one of the greatest players, maybe even greatest" : Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" : Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future
Navratilova on Steffi,

“Steffi is the best all-around player of all time, regardless of the surface.”

-Martina Navratilova herself commented in 1996 Wimbledon.
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" : Martina Navratilova
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #3
country flag R-K-M

Re: Others' tributes to Steffi Graf!

“Steffi is the greatest female tennis player ever”
-Billie Jean King, an illustrious forerunner of Graf at the top of the world ranking and a great admirer of Martina Navratilova.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4
country flag R-K-M

“Steffi Graf is the best all-around player. Martina won more on fast courts and I won more on slow courts, but Steffi came along and won more titles on both surfaces,” - Chris Evert,former world no.1 and best average holder of all-time.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
Post here what others commented on Steffi!

Note: Please note that we should not post our own tributes (i mean fan tributes)here,and ,only post tributes from famous people in tennis,other sports and other fields.
Good idea for a thread- well done.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:35 PM   #6
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
“Steffi is the greatest female tennis player ever”
-Billie Jean King, an illustrious forerunner of Graf at the top of the world ranking and a great admirer of Martina Navratilova.
These are really interesting quotes, especially as there are some people on BFTP who say that BJK and Navratilova denigrate Graf and put her down a lot. Not much evidence of that in these quotes.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #7
country flag iainmac

Quote:
“Steffi Graf is the best all-around player. Martina won more on fast courts and I won more on slow courts, but Steffi came along and won more titles on both surfaces,” - Chris Evert,former world no.1 and best average holder of all-time.
That is a good point that Evert makes there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8
country flag jamesuk

jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold

"Maybe she thinks thats the way she should be, or maybe she really is that way"
Martina Nav on Steffi not being close to her rivals.

"I was so mad at her"
Chris Evert on Steffi´s speedy exit off centre court after Chris´last match at Wimbledon.
jamesuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #9
country flag iainmac

[quote=ramya777;17006246]Stefanie Maria Graf, popularly known as Steffi, a former World No.1 ranked female tennis player is from Germany. She is the one who won 22 Grand Slam singles titles since the start of the open era and that too more than any other player (male or female). In 1999, December, the panel of Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden named Graf as the greatest female tennis player of 20th century. She also won Olympic Gold Medal in the year 1988 and was ranked No.1 player in the Women’s Tennis Association for a record of 377 weeks. Her father Peter Graf taught her basics of tennis at her age of 3. Soon she learnt the game and played her first tournament at the age of 5. She continued with the success in spite of her injury year 1991-1992, when she was defeated by Monica Seles, she continued to remain on her position. She got retired in 1999

I think it is safe to say that Graf was suffering from fairly minor injury problems in 91-92. The reason she lost the top ranking was because at that point Seles was the better player.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #10
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk View Post
"Maybe she thinks thats the way she should be, or maybe she really is that way"
Martina Nav on Steffi not being close to her rivals.

"I was so mad at her"
Chris Evert on Steffi´s speedy exit off centre court after Chris´last match at Wimbledon.
Mind you I am sure it wasnt meant as a slight to Evert. Graf just went at a hundred miles an hour period!!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #11
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

It's not that hard to believe, after all the best description of Steffi's court demenour was that phrase (by Pam Shriver IIRC): "She plays like she is double-parked". Despite my love for Sabatini, I'm pretty much like that myself
About Steffi's career mentioned in a previous post, I don't really remember her being that injured in 1991-1992; if she was, they were pretty minor injuries as they were not mentioned back then as a reason for her being surpassed by Mónica Seles and pretty much on par with Sabatini between US Open 90 and US Open 92. Mónica was the dominant player,period.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #12
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
It's not that hard to believe, after all the best description of Steffi's court demenour was that phrase (by Pam Shriver IIRC): "She plays like she is double-parked". Despite my love for Sabatini, I'm pretty much like that myself
About Steffi's career mentioned in a previous post, I don't really remember her being that injured in 1991-1992; if she was, they were pretty minor injuries as they were not mentioned back then as a reason for her being surpassed by Mónica Seles and pretty much on par with Sabatini between US Open 90 and US Open 92. Mónica was the dominant player,period.
Like you I dont know where this nonsense that she was injured in 91/92 is coming from. She was definitely more vulnerable mentally than she had been before but that had a lot to do with the fantastic tennis that Seles was playing. Graf was a well oiled machine,if she had been injured she would have pulled out of events. The fact she didnt displays that she was not suffering from significant injuries at this time.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #13
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Steffi was injured (shoulder) in summer 1991 and withdraw from the us open warmup tournaments (canada and washington) and retired from the fed cup (after germany defeated canada) but other then that (not including the australian open 1992) Steffi played a normal schedule.
she didn't play warm up tournaments in 1992 either but I think she was exhausted then after the olympics.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #14
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
Steffi was injured (shoulder) in summer 1991 and withdraw from the us open warmup tournaments (canada and washington) and retired from the fed cup (after germany defeated canada) but other then that (not including the australian open 1992) Steffi played a normal schedule.
she didn't play warm up tournaments in 1992 either but I think she was exhausted then after the olympics.
That is how I remember it. And she wouldnt have played any events if she had been badly injured- she wasnt stupid.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #15
country flag jamesuk

jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by janilitha768 View Post
Stefanie Maria Graf, popularly known as Steffi, a former World No.1 ranked female tennis player is from Germany. She is the one who won 22 Grand Slam singles titles since the start of the open era and that too more than any other player (male or female). In 1999, December, the panel of Slims Championships at Madison Square Garden named Graf as the greatest female tennis player of 20th century. She also won Olympic Gold Medal in the year 1988 and was ranked No.1 player in the Women’s Tennis Association for a record of 377 weeks. Her father Peter Graf taught her basics of tennis at her age of 3. Soon she learnt the game and played her first tournament at the age of 5. She continued with the success in spite of her injury year 1991-1992, when she was defeated by Monica Seles, she continued to remain on her position. She got retired in 1999.

Thanks I missed that earlier in the thread.
jamesuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote