Lesley Turner - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #31
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Lesley Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
*bump*

Can't believe no-ones talked about Lesley in nearly five years!!

One of the greatest Aussies of all time
One of the best players of the 60s (extending into 70s)
Bit of controversy/mystery around her career (esp circa 1966)
Coach of Jelena Dokic
Wife of a male Aussie Open winner
Mother of a coupla former players
Aussie Fed Cup captain
Had chats with TennisVideos!!
And good looking to boot (even tho coming up to 67 years old later this year)

Hello!! Wake Up

PS - Come in AndrewTas!! Career record needed!!
This has been another great read and really fascinating stuff. Turner sure was one of the greats of the 1960s. And her record on clay is fantastic. I always assumed that Jones was the second best player of that era on clay, but I view that differently now. Fantastic record. And a great doubles record as Tennisvideos reminded us on the Margaret Court thread. And yes pretty, and Tony Roche. Federation Cup captain and Damir Dokic. Interesting life for her.
I was reading the other day of how she came back at the 78 French, knocked out the seeded Michelle Tyler, and with Lovera almost beat Jausovec and Ruzici to win the womens doubles. Some achievement after 3 kids and minimal play!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #32
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
*bump*

Can't believe no-ones talked about Lesley in nearly five years!!

One of the greatest Aussies of all time
One of the best players of the 60s (extending into 70s)
Bit of controversy/mystery around her career (esp circa 1966)
Coach of Jelena Dokic
Wife of a male Aussie Open winner
Mother of a coupla former players
Aussie Fed Cup captain
Had chats with TennisVideos!!
And good looking to boot (even tho coming up to 67 years old later this year)

Hello!! Wake Up

PS - Come in AndrewTas!! Career record needed!!
Good on you GeeTee for stirring things up to get people motivated! Lesley was one of my favourites of the 60s for sure. I just love players with flatish and clean groundstrokes - Durr, Turner, Richey, Evert, Austin et al. And I have to say that despite being relatively hard to get to know, Lesley is quite a charming woman once you do. I spent all day with her at the Aussie Open once watching the centre court matches (we were both cheering on Hingis against Clijsters) and she also proved quite funny to my surprise. A wonderful claycourt player and she also had a sensational doubles record with Margaret Court: they teamed up briefly for 7 GS events from the French Open in 64 until after parting company after the Aussie Open in 66.

They made 6 finals from the 7 GS events they entered, winning 4 of those 7!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #33
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Good on you GeeTee for stirring things up to get people motivated! Lesley was one of my favourites of the 60s for sure. I just love players with flatish and clean groundstrokes - Durr, Turner, Richey, Evert, Austin et al. And I have to say that despite being relatively hard to get to know, Lesley is quite a charming woman once you do. I spent all day with her at the Aussie Open once watching the centre court matches (we were both cheering on Hingis against Clijsters) and she also proved quite funny to my surprise. A wonderful claycourt player and she also had a sensational doubles record with Margaret Court: they teamed up briefly for 7 GS events from the French Open in 64 until after parting company after the Aussie Open in 66.

They made 6 finals from the 7 GS events they entered, winning 4 of those 7!
I concur with you on that tennisvideos- a really good thread and what a great player. Like you it is the clean groundstroke games that I admire most- I never understood the people who went on about how mechanical Austin and Evert were. The latter in particular is a beautiful hitter of the ball, classical almost. How great that you spent time with Turner at the Australian Open, must have been great. I remember when I was in Melbourne two years ago seeing her in that line of statues of Australian greats- she certainly deserves her place there. A bit of a pity that she never joined Court, Goolagong as Australian Open champions. Hey pity she did not play on after doing so well in Paris in 1978- she may well- and I am being serious- have won that year. Especially after Sue Barker and Renata Tomanova went out. Her groundies may have given O Neil a hard time of it
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #34
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
A bit of a pity that she never joined Court, Goolagong as Australian Open champions. Hey pity she did not play on after doing so well in Paris in 1978- she may well- and I am being serious- have won that year. Especially after Sue Barker and Renata Tomanova went out. Her groundies may have given O Neil a hard time of it
If only. That would have been a nice way to end Lesley's singles career.

(Still, credit to Chris for a good tournament)
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #35
country flag iainmac

Quote:
If only. That would have been a nice way to end Lesley's singles career.

(Still, credit to Chris for a good tournament)
Chris O Neil gets slagged off a lot but you know you can only beat who is there. And with Barker and Tomanova in the draw it was still an unbelievable upset win. And I liked her style- great volley. Saw her play a few times at Wimbledon and Eastbourne.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #36
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Lesley has just been honoured with an Order of Australia medal (think knighthood) for her tennis career including coaching and mentoring of young players. They had a nice photo of her with John Newcombe in the newspaper - at 66 years old, she still looks very good - you can see why she was regarded as such a beauty in her day.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...91-662,00.html

PS - I think she deserved a higher honour myself...hopefully in the future she will be 'promoted'

PPS - It's actually member of the Order of Australia

Last edited by GeeTee : Jun 9th, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #37
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Lesley has just been honoured with an Order of Australia medal (think knighthood) for her tennis career including coaching and mentoring of young players. They had a nice photo of her with John Newcombe in the newspaper - at 66 years old, she still looks very good - you can see why she was regarded as such a beauty in her day.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...91-662,00.html

PS - I think she deserved a higher honour myself...hopefully in the future she will be 'promoted'
That is a great honour for Lesley Bowrey and well overdue. What a great legend of tennis she is and still contributing a lot even today. I can imagine she would still look good-she must have done a lot of training to keep fit for the Federation Cup. And it is great that Stosur achieved what she did in Paris where Turner would have so many happy memories.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a YouTube video of Turner and Stolle vs Tom Okker and Trudy Groenman at Wimbledon in 1964. I believe this is the semifinal. This is a rare glimpse of Lesley in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsIx0N_fqc

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 21st, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 02:26 AM   #39
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Great clip.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM   #40
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Here is a YouTube video of Turner and Stolle vs Tom Okker and Trudy Groenman at Wimbledon in 1964. I believe this is the semifinal. This is a rare glimpse of Lesley in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsIx0N_fqc
RolloThanks for that- it was really interesting and so funny to see both Okker and Stolle looking so young!!!Groenman looked a good all round player.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM   #41
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
Great clip.
And lovely racket control from all 4.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM   #42
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

[quote=iainmac;15623698]This has been another great read and really fascinating stuff. Turner sure was one of the greats of the 1960s. And her record on clay is fantastic. I always assumed that Jones was the second best player of that era on clay, but I view that differently now. Fantastic record. And a great doubles record as Tennisvideos reminded us on the Margaret Court thread.[quote]

There was a thread at one stage where we were ranking the top 10 of the decades by surface but I can't find it now.

I also ranked the top 3 as Court, Turner, Jones although it was close between Turner and Jones since Ann had a better second half to the decade. I went with Lesley because from 1962-1965 she was practically Maragret Smith's equal at RG and beat Ann there both in 1962 and 1963.

As for doubles Margaret plus our 70-year old neighbour would have been a world class doubles team.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #43
country flag iainmac

[quote=chris whiteside;16697449][quote=iainmac;15623698]This has been another great read and really fascinating stuff. Turner sure was one of the greats of the 1960s. And her record on clay is fantastic. I always assumed that Jones was the second best player of that era on clay, but I view that differently now. Fantastic record. And a great doubles record as Tennisvideos reminded us on the Margaret Court thread.
Quote:

There was a thread at one stage where we were ranking the top 10 of the decades by surface but I can't find it now.

I also ranked the top 3 as Court, Turner, Jones although it was close between Turner and Jones since Ann had a better second half to the decade. I went with Lesley because from 1962-1965 she was practically Maragret Smith's equal at RG and beat Ann there both in 1962 and 1963.

As for doubles Margaret plus our 70-year old neighbour would have been a world class doubles team.
Chris, how do you feel that Turner would fare now playing on the clay against some of the power players? If the equipment was equal of course!!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #44
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Chris, how do you feel that Turner would fare now playing on the clay against some of the power players? If the equipment was equal of course!!!!
I'll answer for Chris. Forget Lesley Turner. Take Justine out of the picture- and, hell, Yola Ramirez would be winnin' Roland Garros next year.

It's funny- we just watched some of Arantxa beating Steffi for the 89 Roland Garros title on Tennis Channel yesterday. And, it is SO ridiculous watching how sublime this tennis was- and then compare it to the crap that today's WTA clay court play is.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #45
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
I'll answer for Chris. Forget Lesley Turner. Take Justine out of the picture- and, hell, Yola Ramirez would be winnin' Roland Garros next year.

It's funny- we just watched some of Arantxa beating Steffi for the 89 Roland Garros title on Tennis Channel yesterday. And, it is SO ridiculous watching how sublime this tennis was- and then compare it to the crap that today's WTA clay court play is.
Yola Ramirez eh? A great player on clay they say. You were a teenager in the early 50s when she came to the fore so of course you have an insight into her game that we dont have!!!!!!And agreed they cant play on clay to save their lives these days!!!