To hit with alot of topspin what should your racket tension be? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #1
country flag manutoo

manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all
To hit with alot of topspin what should your racket tension be?

Help please I heard it was like 50-55 but I'm not sure what do players usally get there tension at?
manutoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
country flag youizahoe
12 and countin'

youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: To hit with alot of topspin what should your racket tension be?

u need a higher tension to have more control and less power to handle the topspin better. Nadal was around 51 kg I thought.
youizahoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
country flag New_balls_please

New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute

Top spin isn´t a function of strings. It depends on what kind of forward or backhand you use. In most cases you have to "snap your wrist" to get more top spin.
Yes, strings can help but learning the proper stroke is way more important. They don't magically get you spin. You must produce it yourself

Anyway, 55 should be fine.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #4
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Anything less than 50kg would probably give you less control, so the topspin may be hard to use and control.

Like someone said though, topspin is produced with great stroke production not just strings
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
country flag youizahoe
12 and countin'

youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute youizahoe has a reputation beyond repute

The tension is important to have good topspin, going under 45 kg will give you a very unstable topspin, because you'll have more power than control.

But yes, the stroke production is the other element, but that's not really so hard.
youizahoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #6
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future

Tension doesnt matter has most has string pattern. You want an open string pattern to hit with alot of top spin. But you a high tension would be nice.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
country flag Super_Marion

Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold

Is is widely thought that higher tension gives you more control, but I heard that there has been independent laboratory testing conducted showing no link between higher tension and greater control.

String pattern and string choice may more relevant.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #8
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Marion View Post
Is is widely thought that higher tension gives you more control, but I heard that there has been independent laboratory testing conducted showing no link between higher tension and greater control.

as i said!!!!!!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #9
country flag bjurra

bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior. View Post
u need a higher tension to have more control and less power to handle the topspin better. Nadal was around 51 kg I thought.
You are mixing up pounds and kilos.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #10
country flag bjurra

bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold bjurra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Marion View Post

Anyone who has played tennis on a reasonably good level knows that there is a link between tension and control.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #11
country flag bjurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutoo View Post
Help please I heard it was like 50-55 but I'm not sure what do players usally get there tension at?
Topspin is a matter of swing and strings, the tension is less important. However, someone with a lot of topspin might struggle to get enough pace on the ball with too high tension. 50-55 lbs sounds good to me.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #12
country flag jazar

jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of

topspin comes from your swing, not your string
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #13
country flag bjurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
topspin comes from your swing, not your string
You dont know what you are talking about. The string has a huge impact.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #14
country flag mojoo999

mojoo999 is an unknown quantity at this point

using synthetic gut helps a lot for me.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM   #15
country flag the jamierbelyea
I did it for the aesthetics.

the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute the jamierbelyea has a reputation beyond repute

The type of tension of your string and the top of topspin you get one the racket are not mutually exclusive to what type of swing you have.

For example I string mine in the the mid 50 pound range, for mega trampoline effect. I have a huge swing, and put a lot of spin on the ball, so I need the lower tension to generate a lot of power otherwise, I'll have a lot of spin, but no power.

You have to find the balance of both depending on your swing.
the jamierbelyea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote