Bettina Bunge - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #46
country flag dougie

dougie has disabled reputation
Re: Bettina Bunge

In the German 81 final rankings of that year she was ranked 2nd behind Sylvia Hanika
dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #47
country flag dougie

82 was her best year even though her ranking that year by the WTA was 9(83 it was 7).She was ranked 5th in C.M.Jones's 82 rankings in the Under 21 category and the German 1st ranked player, in 82 , ahead of Sylvia H who was number 2.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #48
country flag dougie

The only time i saw her play live was at Eastbourne in 87.She lost a qf wd with Gigi Fernandaz to Claudia KK and Helena Sukova 2-6 6-4 6-3. Some of her natural shot making(alongside Gigi's) made it an enjoyable match, Claudia got exasperated with the umpire asking him "Are you the umpire??" in relation to some dodgy line calls!
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #49
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie View Post
She was ranked 9th on the WTA final rankings for 81 , and in C.M.Jones's ranking of the same year, was ranked 6th in the Under 21 catergory.
Thanks for that Dougie. Of course she did have a great winter circuit in the United States and I think that must have set her up well for the rest of the year.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #50
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In the German 81 final rankings of that year she was ranked 2nd behind Sylvia Hanika
I think that is fair enough. I think Hanika was a better player anyway but especially in 81.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #51
country flag iainmac

Quote:
The only time i saw her play live was at Eastbourne in 87.She lost a qf wd with Gigi Fernandaz to Claudia KK and Helena Sukova 2-6 6-4 6-3. Some of her natural shot making(alongside Gigi's) made it an enjoyable match, Claudia got exasperated with the umpire asking him "Are you the umpire??" in relation to some dodgy line calls!
Yes I saw her a few times and her shot selection and touch were both great. I saw her lose to Anne Hobbs in 86 at Eastbourne and her game did fall apart a little towards the end. Full marks to Hobbs though. A real fighter at her best. Saw Bunge many times on television and the last time I think was one year at Brighton when she lost-86?_to Lindqvist.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #52
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Yes I saw her a few times and her shot selection and touch were both great. I saw her lose to Anne Hobbs in 86 at Eastbourne and her game did fall apart a little towards the end. Full marks to Hobbs though. A real fighter at her best. Saw Bunge many times on television and the last time I think was one year at Brighton when she lost-86?_to Lindqvist.
My favourite Bunge match was when she lost to Barker at Wimbly in '81.

Titles (7) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome, YEC Singapore
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #53
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
My favourite Bunge match was when she lost to Barker at Wimbly in '81.
Me too.It and the 76 quarter were probably the two best matches that Barker ever played at Wimbledon. And from 0-3 in the final set.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #54
country flag jbuck81

jbuck81 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a good part of the 1980's Bettina was a top ten player. She had fluid strokes, moved well and was an attacking player. She could hit winners from any part of the court, and played well on all surfaces. Some of her contemporaries from Germany were Eva Pfaff, Claudia Kohde, and Sylvia Hanika. Bettina played a lot of doubles with Eva Pfaff. Her best results came in smaller tournaments and Fed Cup. In the slams, she rarely beat higher-ranked players. This group of German players were really the forerunners to Graf. Graf began her career around the time that Bettina, Claudia and Sylvia were wrapping things up. If you liked Bettina, which I did, it was frustrating that you could not see her play on TV much. Although the early rounds of slams were televised on cable in the US, the coverage focused on the top seeds. I saw her play live in the slims tournament in Chicago once or twice in the mid-eighties and that was fun. She was a crowd favorite and a shotmaker for sure.
jbuck81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote