time to hire up a coach? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 6th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #61
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute
Re: time to hire up a coach?

^^I actually think Yuri is a much more positive person than most people give him credit for. After all, he's Maria's father, he raised her and if he were that "negative" or "bad" (as many people think) Maria would be a very different person. He's just very competitive and kinda lives that through Maria's tennis, but I would guess that this is one of the reasons why Maria is the fighter she is
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #62
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMary View Post
^^I actually think Yuri is a much more positive person than most people give him credit for. After all, he's Maria's father, he raised her and if he were that "negative" or "bad" (as many people think) Maria would be a very different person. He's just very competitive and kinda lives that through Maria's tennis, but I would guess that this is one of the reasons why Maria is the fighter she is
if we were allowed to judge just looking at behavior sitting beside the court ( ) we would judge him soooo bad but truth is not so easy to find out so we keep the doubt but still he cannot be a positive person, not completely
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #63
Rumkin

Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of

^ It's likely that people will judge Yuri as "bad" because of his behavior but without him Maria wouldn't be where she is now. He's probably the only person who can give maria a real kick under the butt when she needs it. His method isn't probably the best but it works for maria.
Rumkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #64
country flag Taja05

Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumkin View Post
^ It's likely that people will judge Yuri as "bad" because of his behavior but without him Maria wouldn't be where she is now. He's probably the only person who can give maria a real kick under the butt when she needs it. His method isn't probably the best but it works for maria.
Agree with you. I don't think Mike has a lot of authority over Maria it always seemed to me he was more of a friend than coach which is not such a bad thing but then you always need someone to give you a good kick up the butt when you need it.
Taja05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #65
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future

Look at maria's history the last year or so. As her game deteriorated after the spectacular start of 2008,
she determined that the medical advice she had been getting was not going to have good long term results.

Eventually, she opted for the surgery after trying a couple months off for rehab. We all suffered with her
to one degree or another through the long months of recovery. Warsaw might have been a good place to
return to action, and after the loss to Bondarenko, she performed reasonably well in Paris. She did ok in the tournament before Wimbledon, but her loss at Wimbledon was a disappointment. She had a rough wakeup call against Venus, but 4 or 5 points would have made it a far different match.

Yesterday, against Bondarenko again, we thought we were going to see what we had been hoping for---a take charge match against a good player. There was a sinking feeling as she blew 4 games in a row to lose the first set. A lot of players are not mentally tough enough to leave something like that behind---but maria came out blazing 6-0, and finished strongly----her third match this week, including a victories over two pretty tough opponents. She must be in really good physical shape to be able to wear them down at the end.

We will see if she runs out of gas again---I don't think she will---she keeps progressing.

I do not mind all the double faults---she is developing a new serve that has to work---as she perfects the basic serve, she will become more accurate with it.

Maria does not need a kick in the pants---she does that to herself. She needs to keep things in perspective--which I think she has---and just keep getting tougher. She is very mature---and I think what she has been doing
is making good progress from a very difficult situation---not only having to get match tough again---but become match tough with a serve re-engineered to make her game last longer.
nelsondan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #66
country flag MashaFanatic

MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice

The thing that bothers me (much more a longer time that since Maria comeback) is the lack of technical and tactical answers that Joyce have for Maria. That she needs him for psychological reasons, i can understand. But, when your player is making DF after DF and the only thing you are able to say is that you think that the opponent will fall apart, hum.

I have always been deeply convinced, even when she played stratospheric tennis like during AO 2008, that it was much more because of her tremendous will and her personal talent than because of her coach. With a better coach (on the technical and tactical approach, someone like Stefanki), she would have exploited better her potential. And we see the limits of it now. Not that i want her to have a new coach, but maybe just open her technical and tactical horizon, cause, she's not here for one year but at least 4 or 5 : a more versatil game is needed (and a plan B and a plan C when the A doesn't work, which she has not for the moment). I would have said exactly the same thing even if she has won the tournament.

I also think that she has a confidence problem : she seems persuaded to be unable to change gameplan during a match, so if she makes errors, she'll hit harder next time, hoping to make a winner. I'm pretty sure she would have the talent to have more than one gameplan, but i'm not sure her team wants her to go on this road. They seems to say (from what i understood from people who were watching her playing) that she only has to hit flat shots harder to win, not doing slice or spins, and i don't think that it's the perfect tactic to be a player who has the intention to last many years. Ihave to say that i'm a little angry against her training entourage : they are limiting her talent much more than the opposite with their one-dimensional approach of her game.

Last edited by MashaFanatic : Aug 10th, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
MashaFanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #67
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Are we gonna revive this damn topic everytime she's going to lose a match now?

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #68
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon View Post
Are we gonna revive this damn topic everytime she's going to lose a match now?
Sure
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #69

MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice MashaFanatic is just really nice

@ Summon : Not only when she loses . No, seriously, if she had won LA and Stanford, i would have thought the same thing. I think that since 2006 in fact. That she loses or wins isn't the point, she'll lose and win more and more, that's tennis and that's sport. She statistically made better than Ivanovic or some other top players during the last 3 months. So that's not the case : for me, her comeback is more successful than a failure.

But my point is the way she wins and the way she loses now : it's not an assurance for a long lasting carrer at the top, that's all. I still think she's limited not because of her lack of talent but because of her coaching entourage. Every fan here can at least recognize that she could have had a better carrer (i'm not talking about the injury), my point is that she would have had more slams, more weeks at the number one spot when it was a serious matter (before RG 2008) with a better coaching team. I'm really convinced of that, and when i hear what Joyce tells her during the last matches, i'm much more convinced.

I would have thought that her injury break would have forced her team to try to make her progress on other fields than power, but no : just a change of service motion (i don't say that's not a big change), and relying on the same thing that caused many injuries (not only the soulder) and forbid her to be able to dominate a tennis season : power shots and power shots. But that's my thoughts and fellings on the subject, not the ultimate truth . And it's not related to her results. For me, the ways you win is as important as wining, something her team doesn't seem to care.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #70
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the thing, I and neither one of us knows how well her team works.

Sharapova's game has stayed the same since she came on tour, she has improved her movement and other little things sure, but she's always played the same way, no coach can change that.

About her serve, I'm sure they are working on it, if her team isn't good I'm all for a new coach, but we can't see what's going on the inside, we don't know how much work they are putting into making her serve work when she's not on the court.

I don't want to change the coach just because, it should be because it's not working. And we don't know if it is or isn't working. It's easy to tell from here what should be different and what isn't working when she's on the court, it's another thing to actual do somehting about it off the court.

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #71
country flag jsage
Registered 1

jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice jsage is just really nice

I don’t think she is going to change her couch because M. Joyce is with her since she was a child. He must be like a brother to her. But I think it would be a very good decision. I always thought about this. Joyce was her hitting partner, not her couch. Her couch was her father, not a professional. So I think that she never had a real couch since she left the Bolletiery Academy.
Her game is always the same; her errors are always the same. What was changed since Wimbledon 2004? Apart from some drop shots, and slices I don’t see nothing more. The game on the net is very poor and is essential for a player with such a power. She must shorten the points because we all know that she loses the long rallies. And without a good game on the net this is impossible. Does she practice on the net? I don’t think so, at least not sufficiently. In my opinion, she must practice the game on the net hours and hours until succeed.
And she must come back to the old service! The other time she tried this movement in 2007, she made the same double faults. Nothing works without service! And the service is not responsible for the shoulder injury. It was a movement she made with her backhand in Indian wells with Alona Bondarenko in March 2008. She said this herself. This new movement must stop. 179 double faults in five tournaments are unimaginable! Is everyone blind? What worries me is that it seems she and her team doesn’t pay attention at all to this! So, if she doesn’t want to improve the net game, she must at least come back to the old service at once!
jsage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsage View Post
I don’t think she is going to change her couch because M. Joyce is with her since she was a child. He must be like a brother to her. But I think it would be a very good decision. I always thought about this. Joyce was her hitting partner, not her couch. Her couch was her father, not a professional. So I think that she never had a real couch since she left the Bolletiery Academy.
Her game is always the same; her errors are always the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsage View Post
What worries me is that it seems she and her team doesn’t pay attention at all to this!
Interesting points here, especially concerning Maria and Joyce relationship. I think that, until a certain level, the association between Yuri and Joyce made, of course, Maria's success. My previous posts didn't intent to deny the fact they enabled Maria to achieve great tennis goals... until a point where now, the same coaching team (without Yuri this time) is the key of her stagnation.

A great champion, not only a "some slams winners" but a player who has major goals to achieve, need, to keep on progressing : he or she can do that by will (like Nadal was able to vary and to technically progress to become able to win slams that, some years ago, everybody thought he was unable to win) or with another coaching to enable the player to progress each year : Agassi was able to become a well-rounded player without giving up his game's identity because he had the intellegence to change his training method and his coaches, because he didn't want to win one or two slams during 4 years but have a greater career, be e better player. He knew that what enabled him to achieve great things (RG and USO finals) needed to change to gain another level for his game.

Anyway, many could oppose the fact that she played tremendous tennis short before her injury : the problem is she cannot play like that during consecutive months and months. It's a kind of state of grace that enabled her to do that. Maria needs to be at 100% top to be able to maybe win another slams playing this level of game. But the point is that, other great players are able to win same slams without being at 100% or playing their best tennis of their life (Serena, Roger at wimby this year or RG, Sampras and Agassi before) because they can rely on other things that power. Maria isn't able to win a tournament when not à 100%, that shows she has no margin (and i don't talk about fitness or physical strenght but tactical and technical ability to compensate).

If people here tell me that she had a great career, i don't agree. After Wimbledon 2004, she was on the road to be a ten slams winner and be in the footsteps of Seles or BJK (at least, if not better). And i'm strongly convinced that she lost some year to progress cause she wasn't coached enough to exploit her potential. What was good for a 17 years old player isn't anymore for a 22 years old champion who needs to climb another step or earn another dimension, but maybe i'm projecting my own wishes, and in fact maybe she's just happy like that after all, but i cannot help thinking "what a waste of talent".

Last edited by MashaFanatic : Aug 10th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #73
country flag KK2009

KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light KK2009 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sick of the fact that Maria always claimed on her horrible serve "It's a process of comeback." Practice a lot isn't the way to fix it when she doesn't know what exactly is wrong. ESPN experts are talking about her timing issue but she denies it. On a quick review of season 05, there has been a great chance for Maria to be an all-around player. Look at what they did, put amount of muscle on her, at the cost of flexibility and net feel, which is harder to make up for. Now I don't see a bright future on Maria's serve. Be smart girl, hire a new coach if you really wanna get to the top again!!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #74
Rumkin

Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of

She has been playing for what, 3/4 months now? I don't really see much improvement in her serve. Not saying she should fire Michael but maybe it's time for some other expert(s) input? Maybe she already did and is working it out, more patience needed I guess.

and lol @ Michael's advice to maria during Flavia match "hang in there, this girl will fall apart"...right.
Rumkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #75
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Michael Joyce is not enough high quality input. Maria's serve is the main thing holding her back at the moment , and I think she needs serious input from a good serve specialist. She needs better tactics. She's DFing so much on her second serve -and there seems to be no point, since she's winning very little with it when it does go in. There might be a point taking risks if, when the 2nd serve went in it was dominating the points - but it isn't. So there's no need to take such risks.

What Maria needs is to have a lot more variety on 1st and second serve so that she can put in secure but testing second serves, and ensure that players don't get grooved on her first. This was a problem with the old serve too. Most of the time she wasn't getting top value out of it because of its sameyness. As soon as she's able to hold serve easily, she will be very hard to beat.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote