Chris Evert Thread - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM   #781
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
That was a great article, thanks for posting. It's interesting to see behind the public image, to the private person underneath.
Of course there are so many dimensions to the Evert character and I feel she is quite a complex person. Much like Navratilova in that regard I would say.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM   #782
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Of course there are so many dimensions to the Evert character and I feel she is quite a complex person. Much like Navratilova in that regard I would say.
I think there are many dimensions to everyone's character, not just famous people. On the whole I think Chrissie has coped remarkably well, with the whole fame thing. I think she was very lucky to have such grounded parents, and a family that has always supported her.
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #783
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think there are many dimensions to everyone's character, not just famous people. On the whole I think Chrissie has coped remarkably well, with the whole fame thing. I think she was very lucky to have such grounded parents, and a family that has always supported her.
You have hit the nail on the head there. I think that the influence of her dignified and admirable parents is crucial. The point I meant to make- but was not clear- is that Evert has always been a deep person and not as obvious a stereotype as the press portrayed. That depth of character I was comparing to Navratilova. Hope ur well. xx
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM   #784
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You have hit the nail on the head there. I think that the influence of her dignified and admirable parents is crucial. The point I meant to make- but was not clear- is that Evert has always been a deep person and not as obvious a stereotype as the press portrayed. That depth of character I was comparing to Navratilova. Hope ur well. xx
Hi Iainmac, I'm very well, I hope you are too

Chrissie has always said, she isn't the person, the press have reported her to be. She never was "The Ice Maiden", just a very shy, awkward, teenage girl, doing her best to cope, after being plunged in to limelight. Looking back it must have been a frightening experience. I think it is a very wise person, who can keep a part of themselves hidden away, from prying eyes.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM   #785
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Hi Iainmac, I'm very well, I hope you are too

Chrissie has always said, she isn't the person, the press have reported her to be. She never was "The Ice Maiden", just a very shy, awkward, teenage girl, doing her best to cope, after being plunged in to limelight. Looking back it must have been a frightening experience. I think it is a very wise person, who can keep a part of themselves hidden away, from prying eyes.
I agree with that totally. The degree of press intrusion after her debut at the 71 Open was unheard of at that time in tennis. And as you say she was deep down a very shy girl when young. So it was wise not to reveal too much of herself to a prying world. And I am fine thanks, just chaving awa as we say here!!!!!!!1
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #786
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
I agree with that totally. The degree of press intrusion after her debut at the 71 Open was unheard of at that time in tennis. And as you say she was deep down a very shy girl when young. So it was wise not to reveal too much of herself to a prying world. And I am fine thanks, just chaving awa as we say here!!!!!!!1
OK I've spent ages tring to work out what "chaving awa" means The best I've come up with is "just chilling". How close am I?
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #787
country flag iainmac

Quote:
OK I've spent ages tring to work out what "chaving awa" means The best I've come up with is "just chilling". How close am I?
You are not so far wrong. It is a Doric, that is Aberdonian expression that means that I am just fine and getting on with life and work etc etc xx
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #788
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
You are not so far wrong. It is a Doric, that is Aberdonian expression that means that I am just fine and getting on with life and work etc etc xx
That's not a bad guess, from a little old Bedfordshire girl, who has never been to Scotland! Although my fave football hero, of all time did come from Scotland. I'll give you 3 chances to pick the right guy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #789
country flag iainmac

Quote:
That's not a bad guess, from a little old Bedfordshire girl, who has never been to Scotland! Although my fave football hero, of all time did come from Scotland. I'll give you 3 chances to pick the right guy.
Now are you going to torment me with this one? Ok was it Kenny Dalgleish? Or Ally McCoist? And yes you were close enough to getting the answer. Now you really should visit Scotland at some point in time you know!!!!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #790
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
Now are you going to torment me with this one? Ok was it Kenny Dalgleish? Or Ally McCoist? And yes you were close enough to getting the answer. Now you really should visit Scotland at some point in time you know!!!!!
Of course it was King Kenny. Fantastic footballer and a great guy too! I don't know where you got Ally McCoist from, but I did like him as a Captain on Question of Sport!

I would love to come to Scotland, someday, but if evryone goes around saying things like"chaving awa", I won't know what anyone is talking about!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #791
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Of course it was King Kenny. Fantastic footballer and a great guy too! I don't know where you got Ally McCoist from, but I did like him as a Captain on Question of Sport!

I would love to come to Scotland, someday, but if evryone goes around saying things like"chaving awa", I won't know what anyone is talking about!
The majority of the Scots are lovely speakers of the English language. Mind you I dont know that I am one of them. I kind of thought it would be Kenny!!!!!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #792
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I work for a Scottish organisation, and when I speak to some of my colleagues up in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I often have to ask them to repeat everything they say. They must think that I'm either one of those rude Londoners people talk about or terribly hard of hearing.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #793
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
I work for a Scottish organisation, and when I speak to some of my colleagues up in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I often have to ask them to repeat everything they say. They must think that I'm either one of those rude Londoners people talk about or terribly hard of hearing.
I'm glad I'm not the only one One of my friends comes from Scotland, and I often lose the sentence halfway through. I just nod and smile though, I don't like to admit, I didn't understand what she had said!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #794
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
The majority of the Scots are lovely speakers of the English language. Mind you I dont know that I am one of them. I kind of thought it would be Kenny!!!!!!
Let'a be honest, how many footballing superstars, have you got!! Just out of interest, is Kenny looked upon as a hero in Scotland.

Iainmac, I'm sure you have a lovely speaking voice! If you are ever in my neck of the woods, I will see if I can find you a "Bedfordshire Clanger", to take home with you!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #795
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
I am sure they dont- we get used to it. I am quite eloquent but when I am abroad I leave speaking to my partner a lot of the time. Very few people have a clue what I am saying!!! His accent is from Inverness area and that is far more proper than my Glaswegian with a touch of Edinburgh thrown in- ye ken?