Rosebud - Rosie Casals - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #16
country flag dgobie

dgobie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rosebud - Rosie Casals

I have just posted some clips of Rosie - some of you may enjoy them:

1967 Wimbledon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54O3ei-XMCY

1970 US Open:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCwO5k8DM4

1972 Long Beach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L9Q7THWgdw

1972 Fort Lauderdale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXgJWF02A3g

1976 Federation Cup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu_xs1KqCsk

Enjoy!
dgobie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #17
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgobie View Post
I have just posted some clips of Rosie - some of you may enjoy them:

1967 Wimbledon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54O3ei-XMCY

1970 US Open:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCwO5k8DM4

1972 Long Beach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L9Q7THWgdw

1972 Fort Lauderdale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXgJWF02A3g

1976 Federation Cup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu_xs1KqCsk

Enjoy!
Thanks you are great- will go and watch and marvel at her skill!!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #18
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Question: King and Casals were at the top of the doubles game in '71. Then Rosie played with Wade at the USO, and King didn't play doubles. Then in '72, Casals and King didn't play regularly together. King won 2 Slams with Stove, who to that point had only been a marginal doubles player. Casals played some with Wade. Anybody know why King and Casals stopped playing together in '72?
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Question: King and Casals were at the top of the doubles game in '71. Then Rosie played with Wade at the USO, and King didn't play doubles. Then in '72, Casals and King didn't play regularly together. King won 2 Slams with Stove, who to that point had only been a marginal doubles player. Casals played some with Wade. Anybody know why King and Casals stopped playing together in '72?
At some point they stopped because Rosie felt partnering with King was hurting her singles. They met so often in 1971 on the Slims tour-with Rosie usually coming up on the short end of things.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #20
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
At some point they stopped because Rosie felt partnering with King was hurting her singles. They met so often in 1971 on the Slims tour-with Rosie usually coming up on the short end of things.
Unfortunately, by '72 Rosie's destiny as a bridesmaid was already determined. Maybe she could've done that earlier and it would've made a difference.

Watching Rosie's points on YouTube have given me even more appreciation for her shot-making ability.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #21
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
That is interesting RolloI think it is easy to forget with her fantastic doubles record just what a great singles player Casals was. And of course at that point in the early 70s she was a very legitimate contender for the Wimbledon and US Open titles!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #22
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
Unfortunately, by '72 Rosie's destiny as a bridesmaid was already determined. Maybe she could've done that earlier and it would've made a difference.

Watching Rosie's points on YouTube have given me even more appreciation for her shot-making ability.
I agree- it is easy to remember the greatness of stroke production of Hingis, Mandlikova, Goolagong. It is right to consider Casals as being right there for natural shot making ability!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Casals at Wimbledon-note the steel racquet. (Exact year undetermined-see posts below)

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 13th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #24
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Couldn't be 1967 because Casals played with wood at Wimbledon that year. I have posted a picture of her and King playing doubles that year in the King career results thread. King also played with wood there but switched to steel sometime after the 1967 U.S. Clay Court Championships but before the 1967 U.S. National Championships.

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #25
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't both Rosie and Billie Jean sign on as touring pros (along with Roy Emerson, Ann Jones, and others) with George McCall (I think that's his name) that year, and wasn't one of the sponsors Wilson? God knows Jack Kramer wasn't interested in signing girls.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #26
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

No, the professional contracts were signed in 1968. King was not payed a penny by Wilson to use its steel racquet.

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #27
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

love watching rosie in action 1977 3rd place playoff match against a hurt shouldered martina in the virgina slims championship as well as her with billie jean against margaret and virginia in the 1975 u.s. open doubles final....

how i miss those virgina slims years! the virginia slims of chicago, san francisco, philadelphia, etcetera, etcetera. when CBS would air these tournaments in the 70's... incredible players, evert, martina, king, goolagong, wade, court, casals, morozova, richey gunter, etcetera... the greatest umpire ever lee jackson who made every match so exciting, the lighting of the court and crowd, the sound of the ball,everything was so awesome, fun and exciting to watch those matches back in the day!
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
how i miss those virgina slims years! the virginia slims of chicago, san francisco, philadelphia, etcetera, etcetera. when CBS would air these tournaments in the 70's... incredible players, evert, martina, king, goolagong, wade, court, casals, morozova, richey gunter, etcetera... the greatest umpire ever lee jackson who made every match so exciting, the lighting of the court and crowd, the sound of the ball,everything was so awesome, fun and exciting to watch those matches back in the day!

The funny thing about the tour was the contrast. Sure-after 1974 every week was indoors. But no one will ever match the cast of characters and playing styles from that era.

Rosie has a special place in Virginia Slims history. She holds the record for playing the most events on the Virginia Slims tour (1971-1978). She was also the first female to win an event where the prize money was $100,000 or higher when she won the 1973 Family Circle Cup.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Recently I became aware of how close Rosie was to the singer Dusty Springfield. Casals is mentioned in some bios about the chanteuse.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Ran across this video watching tV this morning in celebration of Hispanic Heritage month. The video is a good glimpse of how she hot started.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/186536599...e-rosie-casals

Loved how she pronounced Studebaker like Stu-di-baker