time to hire up a coach? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #31
country flag W2RZeroEight
Ee chee wa maa!

W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all W2RZeroEight is a name known to all
Re: time to hire up a coach?

i read somewhere that maria actually thought of replacing michael. but lansdorp said that if she will replace michael then he will not work with her again. whenever she encounters problem in her career there's always lansdorp to guide her and help her.
W2RZeroEight is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #32
country flag cyannnnn

cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2RZeroEight View Post
i read somewhere that maria actually thought of replacing michael. but lansdorp said that if she will replace michael then he will not work with her again. whenever she encounters problem in her career there's always lansdorp to guide her and help her.
you want to say it's always lansdorp behind her
strange for me he looks like hate her

now i have my 4 favorites players
justine henin
maria sharapova
amélie mauresmo
kim clijsters
cyannnnn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #33
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute

Lansdorp is not really what Maria needs now. He is a groundstroke coach. What Maria needs is help omn serve, movement and tactics. Michael is not a coach by trade, and she needs expert help on these things alongside Michael.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #34
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Lansdorp? I thought he was on bad terms with Masha and Yuri???
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #35
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan View Post
Lansdorp is not really what Maria needs now. He is a groundstroke coach. What Maria needs is help omn serve, movement and tactics. Michael is not a coach by trade, and she needs expert help on these things alongside Michael.

well he's considered probably the best coach on wta tour, mostly specialized into technically complete players. we was also the Davenport's coach
I don't think he can teach only groundstrokes

unfortunately he's not behind Maria anymore
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM   #36
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
unfortunately he's not behind Maria anymore
Not sure to agree that it's unfortunate, really. He's skilled to mold young players at their prime but he's not the kind of champion's coach that Maria would need today.

The more I'm watching the other players currently, the more it seems obvious to me that hiring a coach besides Michael would be the wisest decision Maria could make right now.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM   #37
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Obvious?

Because we have seen Maria play so much in the last 11 months to come to this conclusion?

I satnd by what I said earlier, I think it's not a good idea right now, she's just back from the most serious injury in her career. At the very least wait until the end of the season.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM   #38
country flag Sharapower

Summon, like Rerun has mentioned, compared to other players, who experienced the same kind of long injury-break, for example Kim Clijsters, Maria proves to be much more struggling to get back into form. There are benchmarks out there and Maria's not doing great for that matter, neither is she doing bad, just so-so.
I'm not saying at all that there's anything catastrophic in what we saw so far and I have no doubt that new coach or not, things will go improving. The question is how fast are things going to improve and if it's going all the way to coming back as GS-winner/World #1 material.
There are two aspects to mental toughness: fighting spirit and confidence. The first one is intact but the second one is not really there so far. That's where a coach can help a lot if s/he is the right person for the right player.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM   #39
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharapower View Post
Summon, like Rerun has mentioned, compared to other players, who experienced the same kind of long injury-break, for example Kim Clijsters, Maria proves to be much more struggling to get back into form. There are benchmarks out there and Maria's not doing great for that matter, neither is she doing bad, just so-so.
I'm not saying at all that there's anything catastrophic in what we saw so far and I have no doubt that new coach or not, things will go improving. The question is how fast are things going to improve and if it's going all the way to coming back as GS-winner/World #1 material.
There are two aspects to mental toughness: fighting spirit and confidence. The first one is intact but the second one is not really there so far. That's where a coach can help a lot if s/he is the right person for the right player.

agree
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM   #40
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Maria is the one who called a halt on the direction of the medical diagnoses
she was getting---she was pissed about it last August, if you remember.

She has been disciplined in her coming back efforts.

She does not seem confused, to me.

If she decides Michael needs replacing, or "assisting", she will do so. If not, she won't.

I trust her judgement.
nelsondan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM   #41
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but I think you are missing my point. Why would you think that she isn't getting everything she needs right now from her current coach Michael. Like I said, just because she hasn't come back like Clijsters or Serena you assume there is a problem and want to fix it by getting a new coach.

When all I see is how that would be terrible to do coming back just after an injury break, if she wants to do it, she should wait, at least a few months before doing anything drastic. Having a big change after such a huge event in her professional life is IMO a bad idea.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM   #42
country flag johnoo

johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm still not totally convinced maria is mentally motivated which is the only reason I think a new member of the coaching staff could help.The second round defeat at wimbledon was like deja vu from 2008 in that she was caught on the back foot all the time,fair enough tennis strokes might not be there but,as has been pointed out,she could have been working flat out on her fitness.It's still odd she came back at the FO and not the USO because she now has a lenthly wait untill she plays again.USO is going to very interesting to see where maria really is tennis wise.
johnoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM   #43
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Maria is mentally motivated - and hungry to be back.

The problem has been a) Serve, still not grooved in and secure. b) Match toughness-fitness, getting tired too early. c) Lack of appropriate shot selection and variety.

C. is where new coaching input will help. And it would be silly not to get it through stubbornness or misplaced loyalty. Safina has benefited immensely from the new coach she took on 18 months ago, who has converted her from also-ran to elite player. Dementieva finally took the advice to change her serve, and has also become a much better player. Maria does not have a proper coach atm, and with Yuri, Lansdorp and Bollettieri out of the picture, she needs extra tactical input.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM   #44
country flag cyannnnn

cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold

she come back for a injury. i think she need a person she believe like mike before a new coach.
the day when she use carlos rodriguez(henin coach). i think i'm died.

now i have my 4 favorites players
justine henin
maria sharapova
amélie mauresmo
kim clijsters
cyannnnn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:31 AM   #45
country flag Taja05

Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light Taja05 is a glorious beacon of light

I think Maria would benefit not from a new coach but she would definitely benefit from an advice. She's obviously not fit enough that seems to me like it's the main problem and that change of service motion. The fact that she's not in such a great shape physically surprises me, because after all it was her shoulder that was injured so she could still do a lot of work to make her legs stronger. If anything it seems to me like she's lost a lot of muscle mass. However I do have serious doubts about Michael's capabilities as a coach when it comes to tactics. I suppose they don't really talk tactics much and I know Maria always said the she played by instinct but she would definitely benefit from some tactics talk (especially now). I think she used to talk tactics with her dad but now he doesn't travel with her anymore. I heard what advise Michael gave her in Warsaw: Just hang in there, the girl will choke. I mean what kind of advise is that.
Taja05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote