time to hire up a coach? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #16
country flag Haythem91

Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of Haythem91 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: time to hire up a coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharapower View Post
I don't quite agree with this (see my post above). Yes, when she won USO and AO, she knew exactly what to do and succeeded at executing it, but the point is that these moments are too rare.
For me, Maria 1.0 (2004-2008) played tennis like jazzmen play music: a lot of improvisation that can be absolutely gorgeous when she's inspired but crappy when she's not. Now we have Maria 2.0: grown-up, recovering from a career-threatening injury, having a woman's private life and not anymore Daddy's girl; and, like all other players, as age advances the daring and explosiveness will decrease, replaced by more thoughtful tactics, more patience and so on.
Normally that process is a progressive one, palyers don't drastically change overnight. But, in the specific case of Maria, the 9 months break was disruptive so actually she's facing two challenges in the same time: getting back to competitive form AND constructing the bases of her grown-up tennis. That's two very tough tasks and that's why a coach that's got proven experience of the very top could help tremendously.
I'm not saying she should dump Michael Joyce, absolutely not. But I don't see what harm it would do, for a few months, to get a different insight by someone who's out of the box as a complement. I'm thinking about someone like Lundgren or Paul Anacone... Or Richard Williams (j/k ).
READ THIS
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, definitely. I don't know, second game of the match, 15-40, I missed two returns in a row. I mean,that's just, you know, stupid. You give your opponent so much confidence.
And many games after that it was 30-All. Yeah, obviously when you lose a few of those in a row, your opponent all of a sudden gains momentum and gains confidence, and then it's pretty difficult to get those opportunities back again.
So you've got to take advantage of them when you have the opportunities
A HARD WORK IS WAITING MASHA TO HAVE LESS FAULT EITHER DOUBLE OR ENFORCED ONE
THIS PROBLEM IS OLD I THINK AND AM VERYY SURPRISED BECAUSE ANY ONE OF COACTHS NEVER TRIED TO MAKE HER WITH LESS FAULT I DONT KNOW REALLY WHAT HE IS DOIN WITH HER

Last edited by Haythem91 : Jun 26th, 2009 at 04:15 AM.
Haythem91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #17
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Re: time to hire up a coach?

I think some of you guys need to accept something, Maria has never been someone who wins 2/3 slams a year. The reason is that ever since 2004 (Zurich) she has so often had shoulder troubles, every year on the tour since then actually. Her body is just very fragile. Maybe now she can finally play a few years without a serious injury and that will make a difference.

But some of you are acting like she hould have won a "Sharapova Slam" by now, when that was just never even a real option.

I think she had done amazing so far with all the set backs.
I think the biggest problem for some fans is that like someone mentioned here, you were expecting Maria to come back like Justine or Serena did, she didn't. Doesn't mean anything.

Trying to explain or solve the situation by getting a new coach or changing her game would be IMO really bad at the moment.

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #18
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summon View Post
I think some of you guys need to accept something, Maria has never been someone who wins 2/3 slams a year. The reason is that ever since 2004 (Zurich) she has so often had shoulder troubles, every year on the tour since then actually. Her body is just very fragile. Maybe now she can finally play a few years without a serious injury and that will make a difference.

But some of you are acting like she hould have won a "Sharapova Slam" by now, when that was just never even a real option.

I think she had done amazing so far with all the set backs.
I think the biggest problem for some fans is that like someone mentioned here, you were expecting Maria to come back like Justine or Serena did, she didn't. Doesn't mean anything.

Trying to explain or solve the situation by getting a new coach or changing her game would be IMO really bad at the moment.
I didn't say Maria needed to change her whole game. I sad she needs some more weapons, and tactical advice/support.

A lot of the problems of this match are not new. Even with the old serve, she got broken too often (except for those stretches when she was playing at an "unbeatable level" like Australia 08) She needs to have a better variety and tactical repertoire of serves, so it isn't always the big flat serve to the corner, and she has a secure second serve that does damage but doesn't risk DFing on crucial points.

And I disagree - Maria should (based on her talent and consistency) have had more slam wins by now. She HAS been unlucky - often meeting players like Mauresmo, Clijsters etc. at the very top of their game - always getting the "on form" Williams sister - and of course this persistent injury. Even here at wimby, she got a player playing her lifetime best match, and if she'd won, the hardest possible 3rd round opponent in Petrova. But Venus has got just as "fragile" a body as Maria.

I think the strategic element has not been there as much as it should be. She needs to be able to securely cruise through the early rounds of slams, and this requires having tactics and the range of strokes to unsettle and demoralise the "uppity" early-rounds challengers, and keep the lid on them, while remaining calm and in control. She shouldn't have to rely on going all-out for huge winners to defeat these people. Most of the other seeds at Wimbledon are winning these early round matches easily without exerting a great deal of energy. Maria needs to learn those tactics and get more new input.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia

Last edited by xan : Jun 26th, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #19
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitaBaby View Post
In which part of my post do I talk about her ball striking?

You initially said that she looked slow out there and what I was trying to point out was that her footing on the clay and grass courts are not there at all. That's the reason why she appears slow..not necessarily because her fitness level is down.

And don't get me started on Maria's supervision. I think she's proven time and again that she knows exactly what she's doing and what needs to be done out there.
Im not a coach but footwork can be something u have naturally got or u can improve it working hard. Maria is not exactly a speedy gonzalez and she has always had problems on moving on clay but since the beginning the grass was a surface she felt comfortable playing on.
we saw her playing lately and damn she had problem even to reach a ball not that far from her, losing immediately her equilibrium and so her shots.
I can say this is something partially linked to a psychologic problem but not at all! So the question is: apart the shoulder recovery and the photoshoots that all us love, did she care about training the speed, the endurance, the ability to change direction.

Im sure Micheal joyce is not only a coach but also a friend but she can effort to hire another coach up without any problem
I think her father has a negative influence on her but still he was always ready to check that everything was gonna approached in the right way

and its true she won three slams but during wimbly 04 she was trained by Lansdorp and he coached her even during her stop due to injury in 07, so few months before Australian Open
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #20
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharapower View Post
The need for a new coach is not essentially for technical matters or fitness/training per se, it's more about perspective, game-plans, tactics, morale. Cerebral stuff. What I would call a "mirror": someone who's sending back an accurate reflection of herself as a player.
That used to be Yuri, but now that he has stepped back, Maria may want to make sure that Michael is the right alternative.
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but for me, notwithstanding the hindering injuries, she's underachieved, considering her huge potential. 1 slam every 2 years, it's great but a minimum of 1/year would be more like it, she's capable of at least that.

I agree, one slam every two year is SUCH a wast of talent for her
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #21
country flag Lysias

Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice Lysias is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasc View Post
and also..everytime she loses is this "new coach" talk....
That's because she should have hired a new coach long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
and its true she won three slams but during wimbly 04 she was trained by Lansdorp and he coached her even during her stop due to injury in 07, so few months before Australian Open
I never knew that.
Now she's suffering from the worst serve and footwork in her career. I think a professional coach like Landsdorp can help her rebuild them, a Michael Joyce won't help.
Lysias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #22
country flag johnoo

johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute johnoo has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes a coach just changes attitudes,to me her and joyce are just too much good friends now.I've lost count of how many times a new coach at a football club(soccer to yanks)has transformed things with the same players.I'm not saying she needs a new coach but I worry that her close friendship with joyce could cloud her judgement.
johnoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #23
country flag MaitaBaby
fallshortpova

MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of

It's one thing to hire or add a new coach and it's another if she actually listens to said new coach and she's willing to adapt to changes. You see it's so easy to says things from the outside looking in but do you really have any idea what's going on with her or Mike? And what they have been through all these years?

How are you so sure that a new coach will not be disruptive? It doesn't always follow that a new coach will be a positive change. Then she'll waste a few months of her career. And do you guys really think that Maria's team is this dumb to not notice if a change needs to be made? They have been working in the sport more than any of us here combined so I'm guessing they know. Also, if you say Mike's become such a good friend then wouldn't he, as a friend, maybe suggest that something needs to be done so she can please her fans and win a slam a year?

Last edited by MaitaBaby : Jun 26th, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
MaitaBaby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #24
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Quote:
And what they have been through all these years?
well, basically the Micheal's job was to throw her the ball and Maria used to hit that one

it's called sparring partner

all the management seemed to be a Yuri's job plus the Bollettieri's coach's advices

the separation with Yuri it's good to grow up like person and athlete but she needs to add someone better then Joyce to her team
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #25
country flag Megan1224
Registered 1

Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light Megan1224 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I think the last time we had one of these threads she went on to be in the final of the YEC and win the Australian Open so.....

Give her some time she's only been back for 4 tournaments.
“You know, if I didn’t win another tournament or another Grand Slam – and I believe I will – but if I didn’t, I don’t think I’d be unsatisfied because whatever I’ve achieved is way beyond mine or my family’s expectations. I want to have kids; I want to try other things in my life that are going to make me happy.” - Maria Sharapova
Megan1224 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #26
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future nelsondan has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's one thing to hire or add a new coach and it's another if she actually listens to said new coach and she's willing to adapt to changes. You see it's so easy to says things from the outside looking in but do you really have any idea what's going on with her or Mike? And what they have been through all these years?

How are you so sure that a new coach will not be disruptive? It doesn't always follow that a new coach will be a positive change. Then she'll waste a few months of her career. And do you guys really think that Maria's team is this dumb to not notice if a change needs to be made? They have been working in the sport more than any of us here combined so I'm guessing they know. Also, if you say Mike's become such a good friend then wouldn't he, as a friend, maybe suggest that something needs to be done so she can please her fans and win a slam a year?
I agree.

I give Michael a lot of credit, or at least, a lack of demerits, for how well she did in paris.

If Michael had not had her on court for special practice Sunday, concentrating on smashing second serves from the opponent, she could have lost on Monday.

Her serve slowed down in the third set Wednesday--or she would have won. Building an effective serve without repeating the damage to her shoulder is a pretty tricky thing to do. They are getting there.
nelsondan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #27
country flag MaitaBaby
fallshortpova

MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
well, basically the Micheal's job was to throw her the ball and Maria used to hit that one

it's called sparring partner

all the management seemed to be a Yuri's job plus the Bollettieri's coach's advices

the separation with Yuri it's good to grow up like person and athlete but she needs to add someone better then Joyce to her team
I didn't only mean professionally. And Mike was never just a hitting partner. Please get your facts straight.

And you have absolutely no answer to any of the questions I raised about how hiring a new coach can also be disruptive?
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #28
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Quote:
I didn't only mean professionally. And Mike was never just a hitting partner. Please get your facts straight.

And you have absolutely no answer to any of the questions I raised about how hiring a new coach can also be disruptive?
If I remember well since Lansdorp got fired (coz Yuri did not wanna pay him a right amount of money, a bit churlish indeed . even if then the two got close again to help Maria during the injury of 2007 ) they started to call Joyce coach but he started like sparring, like ex student of Bollettieri academy but to me a guy who starts like sparring is a bit unprepared to suddenly coach a top player like Maria. But behind him since the beginning has always been her father who is quite far from tennis scenario like background but who has always been a really foxy person, able to take the right decision for her daughter and to check that everything was going well.

This is the first time that seems she has really no one but Joyce on tour with her and this is the huge difference with the past. Before we used to complain coz she used to lose matches because of no idea of what was really happening on court, she was just an instinctive player who loved to hit the ball and that's all, but still with a whole equipe behind able to work for her on the right way.

As I said for me it's normal having problem on her serve, the same about the trust on her shots. Just I was disappointed about her shape and this for me is the only thing that is unjustifable right now because when u are off due to injury it's supposed you are working hard on part of your fitness that u can train

and this is what I wanna point out: I mean, this is obviously an useless thread, we are just fans and Maria of course doesn't care what fans think about it but still I think a capable and competent coach now it's essential to try to tidy up this condition that imo seems a bit confusional, messy
she doesn't need someone who teach her how to hit the ball now (well, she might need, but not for grandstrokes and not at the beginning) and someone who wanna change radically everything either...just a person that smart to understand how to handle the situation and took the best decisions for her

edit: my english is a bit crappy so I have to apologize, im writing long posts and Im not sure that everything is completely clear in what Im trying to say
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #29
country flag MaitaBaby
fallshortpova

Yuri not wanting to pay Lansdorp was all hearsay. IMG was paying for Maria's.. everything so I'd assume Yuri would just like to get the very best for his daughter.

I wish we all could understand how different it is on the body to be practicing 24/7 and getting tired physically compared to playing in a tournament and getting tired physically, mentally and emotionally. No one here will ever be able to comprehend unless we go through both situations.

Rerun You started the thread.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #30
country flag cyannnnn

cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold

i don't know if mike come on his forum

now i have my 4 favorites players
justine henin
maria sharapova
amélie mauresmo
kim clijsters
cyannnnn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote