time to hire up a coach? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute
time to hire up a coach?

Another disappointing loss yesterday happened. but it's not just for the loss, it's not for the serve movement coz it takes time to work perfectly.
its more her fitness on court, her foot work. damn she looks like really a cow when she runs

what I was wondering during all those matches where the serve was just one of the problems (the old Maria could beat them even using only the powerful strokes, thing she's not using anymore) was: damn, what did u do during the off season? supposed to train ok, but why so slow? why so tired?

Probably she took wrong choices during her managing the off season, maybe something different, I really dunno.

What I think it's clear is that now she has some training problems and not only with her serve, her foot work sucks a lot, she got slower then Davenport on court

her breaking up with the father from some points is just positive but now she needs someone who stands over all her preparation

a good coach would be more then appreciated
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #2
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future
Re: time to hire up a coach?

I agree about the coach.
I'm not sure to agree about the fitness. She's awkward in her movement (she has always been anyway, but currently more than ever) but IMO the awkwardness is due more to psychological issues than physical: some stress, some struggle to find back the optimal mindset to cope with the pressure and the fear about DF's. In tennis, that stuff kinda "cut your legs", hence the dubious movement.
She's erratic within the match. Some flashes of brilliance (for instance she made an overhead smash that was absolutely gorgeous and very difficult, the kind of shot she used to suck at) alternating with absolutely worthless tennis.
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

I could say I agree but the foot work is something related just partially to some stress time due to injury

just have a look at her feet movements before this stop, totally different
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I could say I agree but the foot work is something related just partially to some stress time due to injury
Actually I was rather referring to the stress of competing.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #5
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, almost everytime Maria has had a tough loss people want a new coach, and she never did and she's always come back winning.

She's coming back from a 10 month injury break, the last thing you want now is to change her familiar team, especially because Maria seems really close with them.

I don't see what a new coach would change anyway. Maria knows she has to work on her movement, a new coach isn't gonna make a difference. And she isn't going to add anything new to her game either, you're kidding yourself if you think Maria will add different things to her game now.

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #6
country flag MaitaBaby
fallshortpova

MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of

Are you serious?

When you're off the tour for 10 months, it's going to take a while to get your footing back. She's played on two very different surfaces in a span of 5 weeks and none of which she's practiced on when she was away. As for coaching, Yuri and Michael have guided Maria to win 3 Grand Slam titles. If that's not good then I don't know what is. And she does have a fitness team but they don't necessarily travel with her.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #7
country flag Sharapower

The need for a new coach is not essentially for technical matters or fitness/training per se, it's more about perspective, game-plans, tactics, morale. Cerebral stuff. What I would call a "mirror": someone who's sending back an accurate reflection of herself as a player.
That used to be Yuri, but now that he has stepped back, Maria may want to make sure that Michael is the right alternative.
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but for me, notwithstanding the hindering injuries, she's underachieved, considering her huge potential. 1 slam every 2 years, it's great but a minimum of 1/year would be more like it, she's capable of at least that.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #8
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Michael cannot be a dominating figure---just a supportive one. They both know a lot about
playing tennis---I doubt they miss very much. Maria is her own driving force when it comes
to discipline. With her work effort, and determination---who could tell someone with grand slam
titles and millions in endorsement earnings what to do? If she does not win the U.S. Open, then
there will be more opportunities in 2010---she has won a major in 04, 06, and 08---she will win
at least one in 2010.
nelsondan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #9
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharapower View Post
The need for a new coach is not essentially for technical matters or fitness/training per se, it's more about perspective, game-plans, tactics, morale. Cerebral stuff. What I would call a "mirror": someone who's sending back an accurate reflection of herself as a player.
That used to be Yuri, but now that he has stepped back, Maria may want to make sure that Michael is the right alternative.
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but for me, notwithstanding the hindering injuries, she's underachieved, considering her huge potential. 1 slam every 2 years, it's great but a minimum of 1/year would be more like it, she's capable of at least that.
Good points. Maria should have had a lot more slams by now - at least double. I think she does need a good coach to help her improve her game and work with Michael. Her serve obviously needs work to make it a more reliable weapon. At the moment, despite the speed, it doesn't do the damage it should. It doesn't want somebody coming in and changing everything for the sake of it, but Maria definitely needs some expert help on serve and other elements. her shot selection is also awful sometimes - and volleys and slice would be added elements.

She needs to have extra weapons to use when they are needed - and to be confident enough in them to be able to execute at the right time.

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #10
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitaBaby View Post
Are you serious?

When you're off the tour for 10 months, it's going to take a while to get your footing back. She's played on two very different surfaces in a span of 5 weeks and none of which she's practiced on when she was away. As for coaching, Yuri and Michael have guided Maria to win 3 Grand Slam titles. If that's not good then I don't know what is. And she does have a fitness team but they don't necessarily travel with her.

Im sorry if Im so serious

I was speaking about her fitness, not about how she's hitting the ball

it's supposed u train it during your off season, as long as your legs work perfectly

do u remember how Kim Clijsters came back after her 10 months injury? and what about Henin? and what about Serena?

as I said Im not speaking about strokes, but about her physical condition and how she managed this off season break

I think she needed a better supervision
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Rumkin

Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of Rumkin has much to be proud of

Her serve is still not quite there. It happens so often that she gets broken in her first service game or that she loses her serve after getting the break back. You could predict that she was going to lose her next service game But I do think she will eventually get used to that serve, it just needs more time and practice and confidence. Iit's mental as well, thinking about that shoulder again?

But you could still see the old maria at some points. Like that game she won against Domi at RG or whenwhere she won 7 games in a row against dulko. So she's still there, but still really patchy.

I don't think she will ever replace Michael, he's like family to her and she won USO and the AO with him so I do hope Yuri's coming to the US open with her, just for support.
Rumkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #12
country flag cyannnnn

cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold cyannnnn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumkin View Post
Her serve is still not quite there. It happens so often that she gets broken in her first service game or that she loses her serve after getting the break back. You could predict that she was going to lose her next service game But I do think she will eventually get used to that serve, it just needs more time and practice and confidence. Iit's mental as well, thinking about that shoulder again?

But you could still see the old maria at some points. Like that game she won against Domi at RG or whenwhere she won 7 games in a row against dulko. So she's still there, but still really patchy.

I don't think she will ever replace Michael, he's like family to her and she won USO and the AO with him so I do hope Yuri's coming to the US open with her, just for support.

yes we see the old maria in the second set

now i have my 4 favorites players
justine henin
maria sharapova
amélie mauresmo
kim clijsters
cyannnnn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #13
country flag MaitaBaby
fallshortpova

MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Im sorry if Im so serious

I was speaking about her fitness, not about how she's hitting the ball

it's supposed u train it during your off season, as long as your legs work perfectly

do u remember how Kim Clijsters came back after her 10 months injury? and what about Henin? and what about Serena?

as I said Im not speaking about strokes, but about her physical condition and how she managed this off season break

I think she needed a better supervision
In which part of my post do I talk about her ball striking?

You initially said that she looked slow out there and what I was trying to point out was that her footing on the clay and grass courts are not there at all. That's the reason why she appears slow..not necessarily because her fitness level is down.

And don't get me started on Maria's supervision. I think she's proven time and again that she knows exactly what she's doing and what needs to be done out there.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #14
country flag Sharapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitaBaby View Post
And don't get me started on Maria's supervision. I think she's proven time and again that she knows exactly what she's doing and what needs to be done out there.
I don't quite agree with this (see my post above). Yes, when she won USO and AO, she knew exactly what to do and succeeded at executing it, but the point is that these moments are too rare.
For me, Maria 1.0 (2004-2008) played tennis like jazzmen play music: a lot of improvisation that can be absolutely gorgeous when she's inspired but crappy when she's not. Now we have Maria 2.0: grown-up, recovering from a career-threatening injury, having a woman's private life and not anymore Daddy's girl; and, like all other players, as age advances the daring and explosiveness will decrease, replaced by more thoughtful tactics, more patience and so on.
Normally that process is a progressive one, palyers don't drastically change overnight. But, in the specific case of Maria, the 9 months break was disruptive so actually she's facing two challenges in the same time: getting back to competitive form AND constructing the bases of her grown-up tennis. That's two very tough tasks and that's why a coach that's got proven experience of the very top could help tremendously.
I'm not saying she should dump Michael Joyce, absolutely not. But I don't see what harm it would do, for a few months, to get a different insight by someone who's out of the box as a complement. I'm thinking about someone like Lundgren or Paul Anacone... Or Richard Williams (j/k ).
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #15
country flag Natasc

Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute Natasc has a reputation beyond repute

As much I agree with a "B plan"... is more than proved that strong tennis (as ESPN said Big Babe Tennis )works fine
Just take a look at the W.S.
and what has changed about the WS 10 years ago to now? Zero.
And if you ask me or Maria if she would like to have Serena's career I bet she would

I think we can't analyse Maria's game now.
She needs time for recover match-play, that get's time people!
Look at Tiger Woods! the guy was back before Maria and despite winning some tournies he still didn't find his form.

and also..everytime she loses is this "new coach" talk....
Natasc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote