irish tennis - Page 35 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #511
country flag Tipp

Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of
Re: irish tennis

Kelly also lost

John's result is kinda disappointing as he beat that guy earlier this year, albeit on hard court. He would have been almost in the top 50 had he won. I think he was right to play here instead of Roehampton, given the standard of the field there. He could have ended up against any top 10 player in the first round.

Amy is on the entry list for a G4 in Copenhagen next week - will be interesting to see how she does post exams/Fed Cup.
Tipp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #512
country flag Tipp

Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of

Barry lost in the final 4-6 6-2 6-1. Still a great week for him - hopefully the points from this final will push him up high enough to not have to play qualifying in order to get into Futures events. According to the Independent, Colin was up *5-3 in the final set of his match

RTE have a preview of Wimbledon up, and if you scroll down to the Irish Tennis section they have another interview with Garry Cahill about the academy and future changes he'd like to make. I don't agree with the level of the targets he sets for the juniors, but I appreciate his efforts to push Tennis Ireland forward and be more aggressive in developing their training structure.

Also, the Wimbledon entry list still has Sam and John as alternates but from the sound of that interview he seems to expect them to be playing in the qualification tournament.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #513
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Conor Niland and Louk Sorenson beating Top 100 WTA how derogatory, if the WTA is so easy why the hell have we now Top 200 WTA players, Liggan only ever reached 181

Ireland have Top 100 players in badminton and squash, I know the Irish badminton players now train in Denmark which is a badminton superpower.

I also don't buy the being a small country thing, since Ireland is much better than many large countries even the UK at boxing, but IABA has great coaching programmes and there are regular training camps in Russia and several boxing coaches are from Russia, Georgia and even Cuba, hence why we excell at boxing.

Where are the Russian coaches etc. in Tennis Ireland, Irish coaches are really not at the same standard as international coaches.

I think Caroline Wozniacki proves that being from a small country makes absolutley no difference.

Also Bowtell hardly did "exceptionally" like he said. I always think we build our athletes up way too much no matter what sport it is, I have seen some of Ireland's best badminton players who think they are freaking amazing because coaches keep telling them how good they are. It all goes to their head and they do rather badly at an international level.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM   #514
country flag Tennis-Chick

Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I agree KournikovaFan, Bowtell should be at least ITF 150 if she had so much talent. I know she beat Mladenovic at U12 level, but that should be a wake up call to Cahill - she clearly hasn't progressed that well, Kristina is WTA top 400 now, whereas Bowtell is just JUNIOR top 400! He should be talking more about John & Sam, they are the ones proving themselves at international level.

Beth Mattek-Sands Georgie Stoop

Come back soon Tati

Last edited by Tennis-Chick : Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Tennis-Chick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM   #515
country flag Tipp

Well, she's had more success and is more committed than any other girl in Ireland at the moment. Wozniacki is an anomaly - half Polish, and has always been coached by her father, not the Danish tennis association.

As for Tennis Ireland's setup, I'm pretty sure the funding they get from the Department of Sport is pretty dismal. I mean, a big deal was made when they got 1.5 million to build some courts near DCU while there's a €300m soccer stadium being built in Dublin. They've made more progress in terms of professionalism in the past five years than they did in the previous 15.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #516

Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute Tennis-Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Cahill is just making excuses when he says about having to compete with GAA etc, in every country their is multiple sports competing against tennis. Irish boxing is an amazing example of how a small country can excel at international level sporting events. Just this week the IABA sent 9 boxers to the EU Championships, and everyone won a medal, 3 of them gold. They topped the medal table ahead of Great Britain and Germany, and were voted the team of the championships.

The IABA are showing that if you invest in players and expose them to the top level often, you can produce good players. Tennis Ireland, just haven't did that. Right now Bowtell should be playing Grade 3's, 2's and maybe even Grade 1 qualifying tournaments and trying to get in the MD. This week she should have been at Roehampton Grade 1 qualifying where she would have got in. Even if she didn't get through she would have got some grass experience and could have learnt something from players at a better level than her. It's only London too, so it's not a lot of travelling to do. I wished John Morrissey would have played Roehampton too, instead of playing clay events, but at least he is winning and improving his ranking.

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipp View Post
Well, she's had more success and is more committed than any other girl in Ireland at the moment. Wozniacki is an anomaly - half Polish, and has always been coached by her father, not the Danish tennis association.

As for Tennis Ireland's setup, I'm pretty sure the funding they get from the Department of Sport is pretty dismal. I mean, a big deal was made when they got 1.5 million to build some courts near DCU while there's a €300m soccer stadium being built in Dublin. They've made more progress in terms of professionalism in the past five years than they did in the previous 15.
Maybe they have made more progress I'm not that old to remember, but 20 years ago Ireland did have a Top100 player, now they dont have even a top 200 player at ATP or WTA level. Although I think when Louk is injuring free he can definitely be Top 200 or higher, and Niland is playing very well lately too.

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:02 PM   #518
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

A relative of mine is involved in the IABA and it seems like they don't mollycoddle their boxers, like to make teams etc. is tough and not easy. Also you really have to fight for funding but if you cause enough trouble and shout enough at Sport's Council meetings then you should get some, that's the impression I got.

Nobody cares if Bowtell beat Mladenovic back whenever that was, it doesn't get her anything now does it.

From some people I know who played tennis I was given the impression it can be kinda South Dublin cliquey (sp.), I dunno if thats true but that is a problem with most sports in Ireland, you have to be in the know to get on teams and get coaching, this is where boxing is different to other sports.

In boxing they only get funding cause they get results before that. To get high preformance grants you must achieve something first, most countries base funding how preformance, why should the tax payer fund Amy Bowtell??? Sinead Lohan is the main hope now for WTA, not Bowtell.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM   #519

Exactly!

I could see Lohan & John Morrissey as future Top 100 players. Talking of John, he won the doubles title in Morocco, that should put him Top 60

Fitzwilliam Futures

We have one Irish qualifier, Niall Fitzgerald Sam Barry lost 6-3 6-7(4) 6-1 in the final qualie round

WCM Tristian Farron-Mahon (IRL)
WCM John Morrissey (IRL)
WCM Eoin Heavey (IRL)
WCM James Cluskey (IRL)
SE Barry King (IRL)

Surprised to see John here, he has a qualifier in the first round, a winnable match.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/tourna...ent=1100019891

From the top half I would love to see John make the final, but more realistically Barry King. From the bottom half, it would be good to see O'Brien make the final.

Come back soon Tati

Last edited by Tennis-Chick : Jun 21st, 2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:09 PM   #520
*Sesil*

Who is Eoin Heavey???
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM   #521

He goes to Berkeley and got to the doubles final last week with Lennon. I think he has been on the Davis Cup team a few times also.

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM   #522

Timothy BRADSHAW (GBR) defeated John MORRISSEY (IRL) 7-5 6-3
Sadik KADIR (AUS) (8) defeated Lazare KUKHALASHVILI (GEO) 6-3 6-4
James MCGEE (IRL) (4) defeated Jakub PRAIBIS (CZE) 6-4 6-4
Matthew LEAHY (GBR) defeated Milan POKRAJAC (CAN) 6-7(4) 6-4 6-2
James CLUSKEY (IRL) defeated Purav RAJA (IND) 6-1 6-0
Charles-Antoine BREZAC (FRA) defeated Keith-Patrick CROWLEY (RSA) 6-4 6-1
Burnham ARLIDGE (GBR) defeated Duncan MUGABE (UGA) 6-3 6-2

John Good luck at Wimbledon
Good to see James Cluskey winning, a great scoreline as well

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #523
*Sesil*

Great for James and James , I am glad John can concentrate on Wimbledon Qualies now.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM   #524

He is up to 61 in the world, so that should give him a boost

Mariyana won the Irish Close, defeating Niamh Coveney 62 62 in the final. Coveney beat McCullough in the semis.

Come back soon Tati
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM   #525
*Sesil*

I wish the girls could play more real tournaments.