Glta - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #16
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is anyone playing on GLTA tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Such a circuit actually exists

No offense but I find it ridiculous
You have to be gay or lesbian to play those tournaments? Do you need to pass a sexuality test to commit?

That being said I'd like to watch a few matches
I'm sure it's full of flamboyant stereotypes of gay guys
nothing wrong with this kind of tour... straight players could also participate in these tournaments - nobody asks them whether they are gay or not. The only thing they are asked is not to be homophobic.
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #17
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
nothing wrong with this kind of tour... straight players could also participate in these tournaments - nobody asks them whether they are gay or not. The only thing they are asked is not to be homophobic.
OK thanks for the explanation
I never heard of that before

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #18
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

I play the Sydney events - we have two major tournaments a year. They used to form part of the GLTA tour but we decided to pull them from the official international schedule because whenever we went to play an overseas event we were disadvantaged by the grading.

Also try to play the Gay Gaymes every 4 years which are held in a different city just like the Olympics. In 2002 I won the Over 35 Mixed Gold Medal with Chris O'Neil (former Aussie Open Champion of 1978) and made the QFs of the Doubles. My good friend won the Open Singles and Open Doubles and together we have won some other events eg. London International Open doubles (and he won singles) etc. Over 1000 people played in the tennis events at the 2002 Sydney Gay Gaymes, so it is hugely popular and it is not a stereotypical gay event as many would think - most of the players probably look and play just like your average club and tournament player, but thankfully you do get a few more colourful and eccentric players to make it more fun and interesting!

We have our own Gay and Lesbian tour in Sydney and we have a few 'straight' players competing with us as well. And the standard is very good ... with some of the players competing at the highest levels in the Sydney tennis events as well eg. State grade etc. Some are regularly selected to represent Australia in the teams at the World Veteran's championships etc (these are for all players worldwide over 35yo). So it's a very high standard but also there are all grades catered for in the Sydney G&L tour eg. A, B, C and D Grades.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #19
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I play the Sydney events - we have two major tournaments a year. They used to form part of the GLTA tour but we decided to pull them from the official international schedule because whenever we went to play an overseas event we were disadvantaged by the grading.

Also try to play the Gay Gaymes every 4 years which are held in a different city just like the Olympics. In 2002 I won the Over 35 Mixed Gold Medal with Chris O'Neil (former Aussie Open Champion of 1978) and made the QFs of the Doubles. My good friend won the Open Singles and Open Doubles and together we have won some other events eg. London International Open doubles (and he won singles) etc. Over 1000 people played in the tennis events at the 2002 Sydney Gay Gaymes, so it is hugely popular and it is not a stereotypical gay event as many would think - most of the players probably look and play just like your average club and tournament player, but thankfully you do get a few more colourful and eccentric players to make it more fun and interesting!

We have our own Gay and Lesbian tour in Sydney and we have a few 'straight' players competing with us as well. And the standard is very good ... with some of the players competing at the highest levels in the Sydney tennis events as well eg. State grade etc. Some are regularly selected to represent Australia in the teams at the World Veteran's championships etc (these are for all players worldwide over 35yo). So it's a very high standard but also there are all grades catered for in the Sydney G&L tour eg. A, B, C and D Grades.
I was a little surprised not to see tournaments in Sydney... Hope one day you guys re-consider! Would love to play a Sydney tournament one day.
This year the World Outgames is in Denmark as far as I know. Could anyone participate in them or are they by invitation only? In general, this have to be one of the friendliest competitive environment you can find. I belong to a local GLTA league and we also have some 'straight' players and so what? They are all nice and friendly and obviously NOT homophobic. And the eccentricity they have to deal is But that's another story.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #20
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was a little surprised not to see tournaments in Sydney... Hope one day you guys re-consider! Would love to play a Sydney tournament one day.
This year the World Outgames is in Denmark as far as I know. Could anyone participate in them or are they by invitation only? In general, this have to be one of the friendliest competitive environment you can find. I belong to a local GLTA league and we also have some 'straight' players and so what? They are all nice and friendly and obviously NOT homophobic. And the eccentricity they have to deal is But that's another story.
Yes the World Outgames are also open to all - you don't have to be invited. Just like the Gay Gaymes. I agree, the GLTA events (and Tennis Sydney events) are so friendly and that is why I love playing gay & lesbian tennis. You don't seem to see or experience the same level of aggressive behaviour that you see on the regular tour and events. People seem to be more accepting, tolerant and sporting. Of course that is a generalisation, but in my experience of playing competition for 30 years it is on the mark. Likewise, the straight players that compete with us on our tour are some of the most friendly and sporting I have ever met.

Sydney could join up again one day, but only if they change the rules on averaging one tournament result and multiplying it by 6 to grade you. One Final in Sydney means you have made 6 finals and therefore automatically have to be graded higher. That turns us off joining the tour.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #21
country flag CarniceroLarry

CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice CarniceroLarry is just really nice

CarniceroLarry
"Gay Lesbian"? As opposed to straight lesbian?

tenn ace
would have been funny if it wasn't moronic

CarniceroLarry
Maybe they should change name. I thought the term "gay" could be for men or women, "Gay: A person whose sexual orientation is to persons of the same sex". So there is no need to call it both words "gay" and "lesbian". Just call it GTA, not GLTA.
CarniceroLarry is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #22
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong with integrating with straight tennis players?

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #23
country flag manutoo

manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all manutoo is a name known to all

Omg is there really such need for this tour
manutoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #24
country flag tenn_ace

everyone is invited. and yes, there is a need for such tour as some gay guys ARE feminine they may not be welcome or feel welcome in 'staight' leagues. also this is not just for competing but socializing as well.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #25
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenus_2k8 View Post
Whats wrong with integrating with straight tennis players?
can you keep attnetion for more than 2 sentences? then read the posts again.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #26
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

So what about all the straight people who wont feel comfortable playing on this tour? Would you like it if ATP or WTA changed to ''Straight Womens Tennis Association'' or SATP? But then said...oh gay people can play too if they want.....

Its insane....

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #27
country flag Cat in the hat

Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light Cat in the hat is a glorious beacon of light

I play on the tour and agree it's great fun. We even have our own world rankings!
My next event is in Dusseldorf next month and will also be playing Manchester and Palm Springs this year. Jguerrica, I think I saw you play in Tampa last year, you play great.
That must be great tennisvideos to play and win with a grand slam champion!!! That's interesting to hear about the Sydney tennis club, I might pop in next time I'm visiting my sis!
Cat in the hat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #28
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenus_2k8 View Post
So what about all the straight people who wont feel comfortable playing on this tour? Would you like it if ATP or WTA changed to ''Straight Womens Tennis Association'' or SATP? But then said...oh gay people can play too if they want.....

Its insane....
god, are you stupid, do you want me to spell it out? if a straight person is comfortable around gay people some of whom are eccentric and they want to play on this tour - THEY ARE WELCOME. if they are not comfortable and do not want to play, then don't play.

and comparing to ATP and WTA is incredibly STUPID as playing on a professional tour is a job that puts bread on a table. glta is a social league.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #29
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat in the hat View Post
I play on the tour and agree it's great fun. We even have our own world rankings!
My next event is in Dusseldorf next month and will also be playing Manchester and Palm Springs this year. Jguerrica, I think I saw you play in Tampa last year, you play great.
That must be great tennisvideos to play and win with a grand slam champion!!! That's interesting to hear about the Sydney tennis club, I might pop in next time I'm visiting my sis!
I was debating between Dusseldorf and Amsterdam and decided to go to AMsterdam. Maybe I will play in Dusseldorf next year. What event are you playing? PS. Good luck!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #30
country flag serenus_2k8

Quote:
god, are you stupid, do you want me to spell it out? if a straight person is comfortable around gay people some of whom are eccentric and they want to play on this tour - THEY ARE WELCOME. if they are not comfortable and do not want to play, then don't play.

and comparing to ATP and WTA is incredibly STUPID as playing on a professional tour is a job that puts bread on a table. glta is a social league.
Wow your such a great advertisment! Is everyone who plays in this league so rude and socially inept? Have fun with your socially divisive league, though God forbid one day people will just play sports for the fun, regardless of their sexuality

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220