Dianne Hollands - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #1
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute
Dianne Hollands

Well, I thought, shouldn't we have a thread for Di Hollands? Doesn't seem to be one here yet. After all, she has been playing pretty well of late. Dianne has been just about unbeatable in local money tournaments (although that is mostly beating Kairangi Vano, Shona Lee, and a few juniors like Tanya). She just qualified and won a round in the Sydney 25k. Maybe she'll go further. Seems to be playing at a level close to 300 now, beating a lot of people ranked 400 or 500 something and quite solidly for the most part. So far in Sydney she has beaten Miki Miyamura (Japan) (446), 7-5 6-3, Brooke Whitten (unranked) (AUS), 6-2 6-1, then Tyra Calderwood (560)(Aus) 6-2 6-1 in qualifying, then she beat Emelyn Starr (AUS) (413) 6-4 6-0 in the main draw first round. Now she faces Sally Peers, who beat Monique Adamczak. Regardless of what happens in this particular tournament, I'm guessing this will be a good couple of years for Dianne, barring injury. And of course she had that close match with Jelena Dokic in fed cup, but we can't really count that since Jelly is so up and down we have no idea how Jelena was playing in that match even though she played amazingly in the AO.

For those of you who don't know how Dianne plays, she's a kiwi, she's in great shape, she's a righty, mostly an attacking groundstroker who can also defend, she has a good whippy forehand , (not huge but pretty big and she places it quite well), she moves really well, her backhand is okay (but she hits it a bit late and can miss as a result), her serve is... not very good , a lot of doublefaults normally and kind of a weird action with a bit of a low contact, but hopefully she can improve that. Volleys aren't great but alright, smash of course not that great, slice backhand is not that useful. So she normally stays back. Overall she is mentally tough, although the doublefaults do come into play (but I think that is technical rather than mental).
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dianne Hollands

And now Dianne has won against Sally Peers (491) 6-0 4-6 6-3. So she is into the quarters of the 25k in Sydney, and will face 7th seed Zhou Yi-Miao (301), who has won both her matches 6-1 6-0 (against both Sophie Letcher and Mirkovic).
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #3
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

No one wants to post in here?
Di has been showing some good form. Great effort in the Fed Cup and now some impressive wins in the 25k's. 5 wins last week!
Hopefully she presses on..... her counterparts like Barry, Jones, Vano etc.. haven't so far... why?? Money?? Distance from competition??
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #4
country flag HowardH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
We talk on Msn sometimes, she had an ADORABLE husband!!! (Promised her I wouldn't talk to him) Will let her know she has her own fan page on here
Wait, is Dianne married now? I only recently realised she was engaged or something (to her coach, Adam, the little fair headed short haired one, for those of you who haven't seen him. She's a wee bit taller than him I think). I have seen them before (after Caro bowl, Dianne sitting on his lap, and also when she was playing quallies in Auckland and she called him onto court for advice. And at the local money tournaments he warmed her up and he was just wearing flip-flops on court ). They do make a cute couple.

Dianne put up a good fight against Zhou (ranked 301) 6-2 7-5, and will face Wishink in the 10k futures in Albany on Wednesday probably. Regardless of how well she does here I'm now pretty sure that this will be a good year for her.

If she could only do something about that serve she could really go places.

Last edited by HowardH : Mar 9th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #5
country flag HowardH

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
No one wants to post in here?
Di has been showing some good form. Great effort in the Fed Cup and now some impressive wins in the 25k's. 5 wins last week!
Hopefully she presses on..... her counterparts like Barry, Jones, Vano etc.. haven't so far... why?? Money?? Distance from competition??
I think each of the players has different reasons. Sacha Jones has an extremely rich family, and they even own a home in California (or somewhere else in the US) so money is no issue. Her serve is a wee bit too weak, tends to doublefault a bit (not as much as Dianne), she doesn't hit that hard off the ground, although her groundies are solid (but I can tell she has been trying to improve her power) and she isn't as good at putting away easy balls as she could be. But I can still see her rising close to 100 after a while and maybe doing something if the right things happen.

Now Kairangi Vano has money issues, her family is poor, so Kai doesn't get many opportunities to travel and play overseas. She has serious power but is erratic. Recently she has been trying to be more consistent by tempering her power, but I don't think that will suit her, since her defense isn't very good- instead I think she needs to figure out how to make her attacks go in without taking any pace off. She might go places someday, but I wish Tennis NZ would fund her properly otherwise it probably won't happen.

Ellen Barry I don't know so well, but she is injured, so I think once she recovers she will press on and probably rise a fair amount.

Dianne I think is trying to fund herself by winning local money tournaments and then playing fairly close to home (Australia) for a while until other options open up. Being in NZ the distance is also a problem. You get used to playing locally and the competition is not tough enough so you develop bad habits. And everytime you travel it gets expensive. I think Dianne is beginning to figure out the plan though, at least here's hoping.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

What does she look like?
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #7
country flag HowardH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golovinjured. View Post
What does she look like?
Hmm, I've never posted pics before, let's see how this works... hey it's actually quite easy

Dianne looks like this:

With a bonus of Kairangi Vano there, just to show Dianne in scale somewhat. She's maybe a bit more than 5ft 7 I think.

Dianne on the left, with Tanya Samodelok next to her. Far right is Adam Thompson, the tall one in red is Dan King-Turner, the man in the middle is the CEO of a sponsoring gym company.

From Fed Cup this year. Dianne in the brown top with silver detailing and white mini. Kairangi in the black top and the skirt with white/brown patterning (these aren't the best pics of Kai, I'm afraid), Shona Lee in the red and black dress. I have never seen Marina wear anything remotely frilly before, but she's there in the white (slightly frilly) top and jeans. I don't know the guys, but the one in blue is probably the fed cup captain.

And a couple more for good measure

A little one, but with Dianne holding a trophy from one of the NZ money tournies (since the other great pics of her with the residentials trophy is from a certain banned get...ty site. Grrr.)

Also from fed cup.

There are lots of good pics of Dianne on a certain banned site (get...ty).
Also, you will find pics online of Dianne in the middle of her serve... which is not the prettiest sight in the world, unfortunately.

But there you go Golovinjured. That's what she looks like.

Last edited by HowardH : Mar 10th, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #8
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future

Dianne's made great progress so far in 2009.

Any idea why she played so little last year, thus losing her ranking?

I wonder if she'll just play in AUS/NZL only or travel abroad this year...
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

Dianne's playing the $10K North Shore City, NZ as a WC this week. In the first round she drew Anna Wishink.

Thanks for the pics, too.
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #10
country flag HowardH

Dianne won her first round against Anna Wishink 6-4 6-1 after being down a break in the first set. It was very windy. Now she plays the 6th seed Zhang Ling from Hong Kong (369) who won her first round 2 and 0 over Yuka Kuroda (546). This will probably be quite a tough test, but Dianne has a chance.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #11
country flag HowardH

She lost in the second round to Zhang in three sets, 6-1 3-6 6-1. I saw the last set, it was really her serve that let her down. Her grip seems to slip from continental to an australian grip (not quite a forehand grip) as she contacts the ball, so she can never really get spin on second serves. If she could just figure out how to improve it, she would do really well. Forehand looked great, lots of winners. Backhand was ok, even if a bit late. Zhang is a good player, has a strong serve and solid backhand. She is on the tall side. I think one of these Hong Kong girls might take the tournament, they seem technically quite good. I actually think if Dianne had managed to beat this girl she might have taken the tournament. Oh well, onto the next tournament.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #12
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future

Thanks for the update. Did you catch any other matches?

Di received another WC into next week's event. Good luck to her!
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #13
country flag HowardH

Quote:
Originally Posted by danker View Post
Thanks for the update. Did you catch any other matches?

Di received another WC into next week's event. Good luck to her!
No problem, updates are what we do. Yes, I saw some other matches, some women's, some men's. I saw some of Dianne and Lucy Barlow losing to Renee Binnie and Allison Bai. Dianne and Lucy had good chances in the first set and were actually winning the first set before I left. In the end they lost 7-5 6-2. Quite a lot of attempted poaches that flew miles out for the NZ pair, but otherwise quite a good doubles team. Lucy is tiny but a pretty solid player. Binnie and Bai ended up in the doubles final so that wasn't too bad a loss.

I saw some of the other kiwis, some of Shona Lee and Chelsea Te Tai's match (Shona started poorly, and Chelsea hits hard, with a bit of an odd but powerful one handed backhand). Chelsea was too erratic though, and Shona was quite consistent. (Shona won 6-2 6-0). I saw top seed Sandy Gumulya struggle past Alenka Hubacek in three sets (third set tiebreak). Hubacek has a good serve. I saw some of Lertcheewakarn losing 6-4 6-1 to Yang from Hong Kong. Lertcheewakarn didn't look very impressive, neither powerful nor consistent. I expected more. I also saw some of locals Brittany Teei and Chelsea Te Tai's doubles match, where they lost 6-0 6-3 to Tangphong and Wannasuk. I felt that Brittany was a better doubles player than Chelsea (Chelsea's volleys were a bit suspect), but they were always going to find it tough anyway. But most of the other matches I watched were men's matches.

In the end, my suspicion that if Dianne had beaten Zhang she would have had a chance to win the tournament was well-founded. Zhang won the tournament, winning the final 6-1 6-0 over the second seed Hwang (her doubles partner). Many of the girls seemed at a similar level, Dianne seems to be capable of beating them all at this tournament level. Dianne probably had the biggest and most accurate forehand in the tournament, but her serve is . It puts a lot of pressure on her because every time she lands a serve she has to make it count. Sometimes after a point had started on her serve the umpire would call let, because a ball had rolled onto their court, and Dianne was always noticeably frustrated by this, because she had already managed to get a serve in and it meant she had to serve again. A good server would welcome the opportunity to hit another first serve. So she really needs to improve that if she wants to have any chance to rise to the next level.

I think Dianne can do very well in the upcoming futures. The field is very similar to last week, although I have no idea what the draw will be like. She can beat any one of them in my opinion, although a couple of them, like Zhang, probably have a slight edge on her, but only because of her serve.

Last edited by HowardH : Mar 15th, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #14
country flag HowardH

From the futures in Albany.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #15
country flag Rising Sun

Di will face Alenka Hubacek in the 1R of $10K Hamilton.

If she wins, she may face Zhang Ling again.