Gb Girls - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
country flag WIMBY

WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of
Gb Girls

From LTA Site:

Elena Baltacha got Great Britain's 2009 Fed Cup campaign off to a great start with a 7-5 6-3 victory over Hungary's Greta Arn.

Baltacha played the better tennis throughout the match, moving her opponent round the court with ease and finding big first serves time and again when under pressure.

It was Arn who got the first break of serve in the match giving her the opportunity to serve for the first set at 5-4 but Baltacha broke back immediately and a run of three straight games gave the British No.3 the opening set.

Baltacha then raced through the second set against the world no. 155 and despite faltering slightly at 5-1, went on to win 6-3.

6 Singles titles and 24 Doubles titles, 3rd rnd 2012 & 1/4 Final 07 Wimbledon Mixed Doubles, Round 2 Wimbledon 06

"You have to dream big and go for it. Surround yourself with people who believe in you and ignore those who try to bring you down. Never give up, no matter what - overcoming obstacles makes you stronger." "If it is to be, it is up to me".
WIMBY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #2
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gb Girls

And Anne won So GB start off with a win v arguably the toughest opponent Rocks

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #3
country flag WIMBY

WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Gb Girls

Next up: Melanie and Sarah play the doubles

GB 2 - 0

From LTA Site:

Anne Keothavong continued GB's winning start to their 2009 Fed Cup campaign with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Hungarian No 1 Agnes Szavay.

Keothavong fought back from 0-40 down in her opening service game and this level of determination helped secure the British No 1 three break points in the fifth game. With Keothavong returning well Szavay clearly felt under pressure and double faulted to hand Keothavong the first set.

Clearly rattled Szavay had no answers to Keothavong powerful baseline strokes and the British player went 3-0 up. Keothavong continued to dominate and wrapped up victory in straight sets to give Team GB an unassailable 2-0 lead.

6 Singles titles and 24 Doubles titles, 3rd rnd 2012 & 1/4 Final 07 Wimbledon Mixed Doubles, Round 2 Wimbledon 06

"You have to dream big and go for it. Surround yourself with people who believe in you and ignore those who try to bring you down. Never give up, no matter what - overcoming obstacles makes you stronger." "If it is to be, it is up to me".

Last edited by WIMBY : Feb 4th, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #4
country flag jake270392

jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold jake270392 is a splendid one to behold

Great to see, GBR should be in the driving seat now to take the group. Lets hope none of the girls falters as the other countries dont have many players to harm us.
jake270392 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #5
country flag WIMBY

GB 3 - 0 on opening day

Well done Melanie and Sarah clinching the doubles 6-4 6-3

Last edited by WIMBY : Feb 4th, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #6
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff from the girls. Lets hope they can keep this up tomorrow and win this group.

If they do win the group and get to the play-off its going to be extremley tough

Looks like we'd face Poland/Belarus or Estonia

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #7
country flag exoneuk

exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold exoneuk is a splendid one to behold

Well done girls Good way to start things off, keep it up against The Netherlands and Luxembourg!

Wasteful, pointless randomness for your amusement.
exoneuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #8
country flag WIMBY

GB defeated Netherlands 3 - 0

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #9
country flag WIMBY

Friday's OOP:

Starting at 10:00 (9:00 CET)

Luxembourg vs Great Britain

Good luck GB Girls

From LTA site:

EGON Team GB recorded another 3-0 win in their 2009 Fed Cup campaign and are currently top of their group in Tallinn, Estonia.
AEGON Team GB Captain Nigel Sears looked on with pride as Elena Baltacha defeated Michelle Gerards, Anne Keothavong beat Arantxa Rus and Keothavong and Sarah Borwell were victorious against Nicole Thyssen and Pauline Wong, all without dropping a set.
With Baltacha up first against Gerards, a player ranked 277 in the world, it was Baltacha who was broken first in the third game but, the British player hit back immediately and raced through the rest of the first set 6-2.
The second set saw five successive breaks of serve but it was Baltacha who got the decisive break to take the set and match 6-2 6-4.
Full of confidence from yesterday’s victory, Anne Keothavong was next up against the talented young left hander Arantxa Rus. Keothavong broke in the fifth game and went on to take the first set 6-4.
Both players traded breaks early in the second set and with Keothavong striking the ball well from the back of the court and moving Rus around with ease, the British No.1 broke again in the ninth game and maintained her composure to serve out the match 6-4.
Keothavong took to the court for the doubles rubber, teaming up with Sarah Borwell and the combination of powerful serving and deft volleying was too much for their opponents Nicole Thyssen and Pauline Wong. The British girls won 6-4 6-0.
Speaking after the match, Nigel Sears was again delighted with his team’s performance: “It was really important to back up yesterday’s win over Hungary with another good result today and I’m pleased with another emphatic victory.
“It’s a good feeling to be leading the group after two days but we know we still have work to do if we are going to top the group and gain a place in the semi-finals. The team is in great shape and we are looking forward to tomorrow’s match against Luxembourg.”
AEGON Team GB will take on Luxembourg at 10.00am local time (8am GMT).

Last edited by WIMBY : Feb 5th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #10
country flag WIMBY

From LTA site

Mel South defeated Fabienne Thill 6-0 6-2

Mel South took a little over 30 minutes to defeat Luxembourg's Fabienne Thill 6-0 6-2 and continue AEGON Team GB's superb week in Tallinn, Estonia.
South proved far to much for Thill who only won a handful of points in the first set.
Although Thill offered more resistance in the second set, it continued to be one way traffic for the British No. 2 who was utterly dominant throughout the match.

Anne Keothavong defeated Mandy Minella 6-1 6-2

Anne Keothavong defeated Luxembourg’s Mandy Minella 6-1 6-2 to maintain Great Britain’s winning record in the 2009 Fed Cup.
Minella who is ranked 332 in the world dropped her opening service game and, despite having chances to break back early in the opening set, was never able to capitalise on them.
Keothavong broke again early in the second set and raced to a 4-0 lead. The match was over in less than an hour and Great Britain remain undefeated this week.

Mel South & Sarah Borwell defeated Fabienne Thill & Mandy Minella w/o
Luxembourg pulled out of the remaining doubles rubber on day three handing Great Britain a 3-0 lead

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #11
country flag WIMBY

GB lost to Poland 1 - 2