Maria in Linz - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM   #76
country flag Kiriber
I'm a monster I'm a killer I know I'm wrong

Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold Kiriber is a splendid one to behold
Re: Maria in Linz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkiri. View Post
Lots to work on in the off season. I do wonder if the way she played in the 2nd and 3rd had anything to do with her knee.
I'm thinking the same thing. This is Maria and she could have just blew the match off mentally, but with all her knee issues lately I'm much more inclined to look that way for now.

Still horrible note to end the year on.
Kiriber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #77
country flag Zumoq

Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice

I certainly hope she isn't injured. But this year we've seen many results like tonight - Maria wins the first set, but goes on to lose in three...

Just browsing through her 2008 results and three-set losses, I quickly counted 9 losses where Maria won the first set, and only 3 losses where she won the second set. Also, when she won a three-set match, she seemed to win the first set more often than losing it.

Which means she often starts out well and does progressively worse.

There could be many explanations for this pattern, like Maria gets tired, she loses her concentration, her opponents are slow starters, or, it could just be a statistical fluke.

But sometimes I get the feeling that maybe Maria's game is a little bit too predictable? With every point, her opponents tune in on her game and can better predict her shots. In short, perhaps she makes her opponents play better and better? I for one don't like the brainless ball-bashing of many players, but there is one good thing to say about burying the ball deep in the net every other point: at least you don't let your opponents improve their game.

Not having seen many of her matches, I can't really say, this is just pure speculation on my part. But maybe some of you that have seen her more and understand a bit more of this than I do, could elaborate a bit on this: what do you think is the main cause of Maria's declining tendency in so many matches? If you even bothered to read this far, that is.

If there is something to it, since Maria does not have the do-or-die ball-bashing winner shots at her disposal, she must at least use variation more, so her oppononets don't figure out her game so quickly. Maybe Maria should hire a professional poker player as a second coach?

Anyway, I am not really satisfied if this is just dismissed as Maria's "mental weakness". Seems a bit too simple for me. To be honest, it tells me nothing, really.

Just wondering
Zumoq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #78
country flag Droolv
*shy

Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute

Comeback stronger in 2009 Maria

Sad loss, but good luck in doubles
Droolv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #79
country flag Sharapower8

Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future Sharapower8 has a brilliant future

Awww I jinxed her
She'll come back stronger !

Sharapova.Vaidisova.Vesnina.Bondarenko.
Wozniacki.Kirilenko.Goerges.Petkovic. Azarenka

Sharapower8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM   #80
country flag Natash.
:(

Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumoq View Post
I certainly hope she isn't injured. But this year we've seen many results like tonight - Maria wins the first set, but goes on to lose in three...

Just browsing through her 2008 results and three-set losses, I quickly counted 9 losses where Maria won the first set, and only 3 losses where she won the second set. Also, when she won a three-set match, she seemed to win the first set more often than losing it.

Which means she often starts out well and does progressively worse.

There could be many explanations for this pattern, like Maria gets tired, she loses her concentration, her opponents are slow starters, or, it could just be a statistical fluke.

But sometimes I get the feeling that maybe Maria's game is a little bit too predictable? With every point, her opponents tune in on her game and can better predict her shots. In short, perhaps she makes her opponents play better and better? I for one don't like the brainless ball-bashing of many players, but there is one good thing to say about burying the ball deep in the net every other point: at least you don't let your opponents improve their game.

Not having seen many of her matches, I can't really say, this is just pure speculation on my part. But maybe some of you that have seen her more and understand a bit more of this than I do, could elaborate a bit on this: what do you think is the main cause of Maria's declining tendency in so many matches? If you even bothered to read this far, that is.

If there is something to it, since Maria does not have the do-or-die ball-bashing winner shots at her disposal, she must at least use variation more, so her oppononets don't figure out her game so quickly. Maybe Maria should hire a professional poker player as a second coach?

Anyway, I am not really satisfied if this is just dismissed as Maria's "mental weakness". Seems a bit too simple for me. To be honest, it tells me nothing, really.

Just wondering
Well, more so has to do with concentration. She starts making more errors and plays less smart. She's been using her variety a lot more this year, playing a different type of ball each time. Her forehand has improved this indoor season from her hardcourt as she's not just spinning it in.

Maria is just inconsistent. And sadly, it can be dismissed as mental or she's not physically well. She has been unlucky with a few minor injuries this year.

Cornet also does not have a big weapon and same with most of the players Maria has lost to in 3 sets.
Natash. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #81
country flag Droolv
*shy

Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute

(1) Black/Huber d. Kirilenko/Pennetta W/O (Kirilenko: left knee injury)
Droolv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #82
country flag Nikkiri

Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute Nikkiri has a reputation beyond repute

So it was the knee.

Well seasons over, time to go rest that knee and come back strong next year.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #83
country flag Zumoq

Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice Zumoq is just really nice

Maria, the knee Get well soon!
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #84
country flag Zumoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natash. View Post
Well, more so has to do with concentration. She starts making more errors and plays less smart. She's been using her variety a lot more this year, playing a different type of ball each time. Her forehand has improved this indoor season from her hardcourt as she's not just spinning it in.

Maria is just inconsistent. And sadly, it can be dismissed as mental or she's not physically well. She has been unlucky with a few minor injuries this year.

Cornet also does not have a big weapon and same with most of the players Maria has lost to in 3 sets.
Thanks

Maria certainly has the talent to use variety well.

My hopes are a little up now. If she indeed can improve physically (and avoid injuries), it could also help her mentally. It could be much easier for her to remain focused and stay on top of things throughout her matches.

A physically better and competitive Grrkiri could do very well next year!
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #85
country flag DAVAJ MKirilenko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine the injury is really serious.
Looked like it happend in Zurich against Hantuchova. She had tape on it for 2 days, but it was off already in the doubles match.

Still this scoreline is too weird. Got BP's in every game untill 6-1 40-0. And not a BP faced. After no BP created and winning only 3 games. If you're really injured you just retire in the match.

Skipp the challenger for the rest of the season and go for an even better AO.

1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #86
country flag Labamba

Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light Labamba is a glorious beacon of light

Maria needs to solve that knee problem during the off-season, hopefully it won't require any surgery

Rest well and then work hard...the best of Maria is still yet to come
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #87
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute

If Maria has a sore left knee why is did she play singles and doubles for so many weeks in a row this fall? That was an insane schedule to play. Espeically for a tennis player with knee problems.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #88
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation

Maria has had the knee trouble almost all throughout her career I think. I remember it being her reason for withdrawals of matches/tournaments since two years back if I'm not wrong.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #89
country flag DAVAJ MKirilenko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute

This year she played every tournament she entered and never retired during the match.
So far now it looks like it's not all that serious. But it's hard to say for a longer period cause she's also still young now.

1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM   #90
country flag sannyak

sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice sannyak is just really nice

Boys!I this year even leave Budapest frpm Linz,that anew see her live.
Maria still very pretty,her play(I think)better and better be improve,only she no be born under a lucky star.
Now in Lint too,I think each of the match very good play Maria,but nevertheless with bitter aftertaste leave.
In first match Maria was clever,skilful,tactician.She was many a time,to mistake compel for rival.In second set was,one little leaving out,(ball oversight,demand with umpire)but hereafter Maria again good play,and good fight and win!
In doubles match also rather Maria was good play because Pennetta very be out of sorts,no was comparable her from Zürich play. At the important points luckily Maria often help for her.At matchpoint,yet Maria stand as a impenetrable bastion by net,was hard,like Rolling Stones...
The Cornet against match also very well to beginn.Not in vain was warm up Van Harpen severely.
Makiri was beginning in match very concentrated.Maria make the most of rival weak the first service's.For Kirilenko was very go well the play,"twinkle",particularly the volley was wonderful!
Beginning the second set was,for Maria 3 breakball,but unfortunately,punctually at which time begin the rival well serve.
I think at which time the match has turned.Instead of 2-0,1-3 was...
Hereafter,for Maria was more and more mistake,hold she himself serve's,fall back her self-confidence.At the end of the set be discovered,that Maria injured.
In pause at care ask was on the leg.
But,unfortunately hereafter not succsere in doing the first set at good form,or break the rival confidence.
Maria were continually,hopeless and desperate.
At matchpoint burst into the match total tension,and disappointment!
She was so much that throw racket somewhere to the ground,that head of racket warp!!!
Then the aften she was take out to bench,again fling racket on the ground,then already the umpire also warn her.Finally the racket in dustbin finish!!!
Poor Maria!Such bad was see,that the great promise's that come to nothing.
sannyak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote