New tennis player needs help! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #1
country flag RobsonFan

RobsonFan is an unknown quantity at this point
New tennis player needs help!

I want to play tennis for my school next year, but I need help. I have never played tennis in my life but have played baseball for school and basketball in middle school. I am athletic but don't want to spend all my time with a big sport. I have some questions:

What is the best type of racket to get? Looking to spend about 100.

Is there anything I can do to learn the fundamentals besides maybe going to a camp, and playing?

thanks!
RobsonFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #2
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New tennis player needs help!

People tend to suit certain types of brands better, there really isn't any 'best' type of racquet, just as long as its near the top of the line (most tennis racquets for sale are completely crap!). I love Wilson and Dunlop, I'd never touch the rest.

In my experience simply watching lots of tennis matches can make you a better player, it certainly helped me with working out what sort of tactics I should/should not use against certain types of players. Obviously nothing beats actually going there and playing, and if you go to a camp then it can help set you up well mentally.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #3
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Hey I'm a (Wade) Robson fan too.

Actually I've been a tennis camp instructor so lucky for you.

1. For a beginner buy an oversized racket, the biggest one you can afford. The more surface area to your racket the easier it is for you to hit the ball. Buy from a tennis shop or sporting goods store so someone can find you the right grip size instead of going to department stores which usually carry cheap quality rackets. Look into buying a used racket.

2. To learn tennis on your own you can go to the public library and check out some tennis instruction books and practice hours by yourself against a wall, like at a concrete racquetball court at a high school.

3. The best thing for a beginner is to take a private lesson from a USTA pro at a park or country club. Learning tennis on your own leads to many bad habits and incorrect forms that may be hard to undo later on. Instead of experiencing all the wrong ways to do things on your own and getting frustrated it's better to let a pro teach you the right way from the start. If you can't afford a pro see if you can find a high school tennis coach or player to give you lessons.

4. Check with your high school. Some have team workouts/practices or tennis camps over the summer.

5. Most important thing to focus on is using the right technique. Results will follow later. Your technique, using the right form will kinda set your ceiling of how good you can become in the future.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #4
country flag RobsonFan

RobsonFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! One of my friends is on the team so I'll get him to help me.
RobsonFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #5
country flag jazar

jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
1. For a beginner buy an oversized racket, the biggest one you can afford. The more surface area to your racket the easier it is for you to hit the ball. Buy from a tennis shop or sporting goods store so someone can find you the right grip size instead of going to department stores which usually carry cheap quality rackets. Look into buying a used racket.
the biggest possible headsize is not always the best. for younger people, especially those who play other sports involving good hand-eye co-ordination, a more regular head size is better.

you should check out the liquidation racket on tennis warehouse. check out some rackets like volkl becker BB5, gamma g260, head fxp heat, head lm4