Marion Proves She's Not a Fluke - ONTO GRASS/WIMBLEDON! - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #136
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Marion Proves She's Not a Fluke - ONTO GRASS/WIMBLEDON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoV&Rena View Post
Marion played bad. Beth played great. Marion was injured. Beth was determined. Marion was not.

This is just why she lost...I kind of expected it after Marion choked that break. She just doesn't have the mental capability to come back from matches anymore.

With that being sad, it's not been a bad tournament for Marion despite the bad loss. 3r is not thaaaaat bad.
While it's very gracious of you to TRY and put a positive spin on this,it's SAD when a former YEC participant has to look for moral victories in making the 3rd Round of a tourney....I can imagine Brazil losing to the U.S. in soccer,and then telling some Brazilians:Oh,it's not so bad,you only lost by one goal....I hope that Marion's future prospects are MUCH brighter than THIS.

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #137
country flag Renalicious
Queen Cockroach

Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute

She's in a slump...give her a break. She burned out and I honestly thought it would be difficult for her to go past the first round.

Extract from Marion's interview.

Q. How far did you expect to get this tournament?

MARION BARTOLI: Well, I never set myself goals in terms of results, I qualify or semifinal or whatever. I just wanted to play some great tennis, which I was able to do the first two rounds, but today was just not a good day for me.

Interesting stat: Marion actually hit more winners in her 3r match and also less errors than her 1r match! Her serving was horrible though.
makarova, diatchenko, keys, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #138
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

You're NOT dealing with a hater,here;look at your own words,'burned out'.It's only natural for us to be concerned about her when she has reached a stage like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoV&Rena View Post
She's in a slump...give her a break. She burned out and I honestly thought it would be difficult for her to go past the first round.

Extract from Marion's interview.

Q. How far did you expect to get this tournament?

MARION BARTOLI: Well, I never set myself goals in terms of results, I qualify or semifinal or whatever. I just wanted to play some great tennis, which I was able to do the first two rounds, but today was just not a good day for me.

Interesting stat: Marion actually hit more winners in her 3r match and also less errors than her 1r match! Her serving was horrible though.

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #139
country flag Super_Marion

Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold

Did any of you watch the BBC coverage of the match. What did you think of it?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #140
country flag Marionated

Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute Marionated has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it Super Marion.
Basically, Marion just didn't want to be there imo. She was yelling at Walter and smashing her racket. I think the pressure got to her

It makes my laugh how people on the main board said the injury was fake and tatical when there obviously was something wrong with her shoulder. I mean, her first serve just wasn't effective at all (she won like 42% of the points behind it- compare that to winning 100% in the first set of her second round match), and obviously this was because of the shoulder injury. The returns were crap too. She tanked so many weak 70mph odd second serve returns.

Marion has never been a good mover but in this match looked really slow- some of the winners Mattek hit would of been retrieved by a quicker player.

However, Mattek should be commended on a great performance. She fully deserved the win.

With Azarenka's loss today, Marion will most likely be at no15 when the new rankings come out(so only a dip of 5 places ).

I'm kind of glad Wimbledon is over for Marion. Hopefully now the pressure is off she can start playing like we know she can. Next up is Stanford where she doesn't have any points to defend, so hopefully she can have a good run there
Marionated is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #141

Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold Super_Marion is a splendid one to behold

I got messages from quite a few people saying that the commentry team where saying stuff about her.

If any of guys feel that the BBC coomentary towards Marion was unfair, then I urge you to inbox me asap with what was said, and how you feel about it. We may have grounds to make a complaint. It isnt the first time they have verbally mistreated Marion.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #142
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Marion View Post
I got messages from quite a few people saying that the commentry team where saying stuff about her.

If any of guys feel that the BBC coomentary towards Marion was unfair, then I urge you to inbox me asap with what was said, and how you feel about it. We may have grounds to make a complaint. It isnt the first time they have verbally mistreated Marion.
Well,BBC isn't terribly popular here in Mexico except amongst those who like lots of variety...and those who have an illegal receiver dish(which is VERY common and hard to monitor for the local cable company)...it's hard for our people to follow British programs sometimes when they are much more accustomed to hearing American accents.

I'm curious:what kind of abusive comments would they make about Marion,and why would they do such a thing? Your people are known for being so 'refined',and I don't think that even gringo commentators would use harsh language unless an athlete had some sort of clear-cut moral shortcoming.Are these nattering heds upset because Marion is so much healthier than the scrawny,malnourished,unsightly women that serve as British female celebrities nowadays(Keira Knightly,et al.)?

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #143
country flag Bartoli's Boy

Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of Bartoli's Boy has much to be proud of

I watched the BBC coverage and there was nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. What the commentators said about the injury timeout was perfectly fair. Basically, they said that calling for the trainer/toilet breaks etc, just when the opponent has scored an advantage, is becoming a big problem in the women's game and that they wish that somebody would do something to curtail it.

Obviously there was the clear suggestion that Marion was using gamesmanship, but given the circumstances, I think it was a fair suggestion. I mean, if Marion or any other player is so injured that they can't be competitive, then they shouldn't play in the first place. Obviously it's understandable that Marion wouldn't want to give up on her favourite tournament, but if she makes the decision to play anyway, I don't think she should be calling long timeouts for injuries that were there before the match and she decided to ignore. You should accept the existing injury and play through it if it doesn't get any worse. Otherwise it's like saying, "I've been injured the whole match, so I can take an injury timeout whenever I like"... and if thinking like that is acceptable, it's no surprise that you're going to take your injury timeout at a crucial moment in the game, when your opponent has all the momentum. Marion had two consecutive injury timeouts remember, so we're not just talking about her shoulder getting worse. In order to not be taking at least one of those timeouts unfairly, she would have to have gotten two bad injuries, or made two existing injuries a lot worse, just as Beth was going to serve out the first set. Sorry if this seems like I'm being disloyal, but I just don't believe that. That's why I didn't mention anything about Marions injuries in my previous post.

I still love her though... but I have to call it how I see it, rather than make excuses for Marion. Also, the BBC commentators made it clear that they believed that it's not the players who are at fault for taking tactical timeouts, but the WTA for allowing them to do it. They weren't slamming Marion in particular, as if she is worse than all the other players who do the same thing. They were also talking about Marion's game in a very complimentary fashion, considering how bad she was playing... that she is very tough to play against, a great grass court player and that she could always come back to win the match.
Bartoli's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #144
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartoli's Boy View Post
I watched the BBC coverage and there was nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. What the commentators said about the injury timeout was perfectly fair. Basically, they said that calling for the trainer/toilet breaks etc, just when the opponent has scored an advantage, is becoming a big problem in the women's game and that they wish that somebody would do something to curtail it.

Obviously there was the clear suggestion that Marion was using gamesmanship, but given the circumstances, I think it was a fair suggestion. I mean, if Marion or any other player is so injured that they can't be competitive, then they shouldn't play in the first place. Obviously it's understandable that Marion wouldn't want to give up on her favourite tournament, but if she makes the decision to play anyway, I don't think she should be calling long timeouts for injuries that were there before the match and she decided to ignore. You should accept the existing injury and play through it if it doesn't get any worse. Otherwise it's like saying, "I've been injured the whole match, so I can take an injury timeout whenever I like"... and if thinking like that is acceptable, it's no surprise that you're going to take your injury timeout at a crucial moment in the game, when your opponent has all the momentum. Marion had two consecutive injury timeouts remember, so we're not just talking about her shoulder getting worse. In order to not be taking at least one of those timeouts unfairly, she would have to have gotten two bad injuries, or made two existing injuries a lot worse, just as Beth was going to serve out the first set. Sorry if this seems like I'm being disloyal, but I just don't believe that. That's why I didn't mention anything about Marions injuries in my previous post.

I still love her though... but I have to call it how I see it, rather than make excuses for Marion. Also, the BBC commentators made it clear that they believed that it's not the players who are at fault for taking tactical timeouts, but the WTA for allowing them to do it. They weren't slamming Marion in particular, as if she is worse than all the other players who do the same thing. They were also talking about Marion's game in a very complimentary fashion, considering how bad she was playing... that she is very tough to play against, a great grass court player and that she could always come back to win the match.
Thanks for your insight,'BB';your description is very thorough and sounds credible.Even if Marion WASN'T guilty of deliberate gamesmanship,I can understand how tennis-lovers want to protect the integrity of the sport from those who don't respect it as much.

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #145

Someone told me "the commentators are criticising her left, right, and centre". Someone else said "they were very rude about her" and another said he was "outraged" by their remarks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #146
country flag weary

weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light weary is a glorious beacon of light

Marion Good luck for the USO Series
weary is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote