NCAA Championship predictions - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #31
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Prediction - Cal Los Angeles over UC Berkeley

1st let me take a stab at why UCLA may not have been mentioned to contend for the NCAA title before the playoffs began.

1. UCLA hasn't had an opportunity to play with their full lineup because of injuries except for a handful of matches. This resulted in UCLA picking up too many losses. As a result they were given a #7 seed. UCLA did not get a chance to show people what they can do at full strength against some of the other elite teams.

2. UCLA on paper had a very tough road to win the title. In my opinion any top 10 team can beat any other top 10 team on any given day. However UCLA would ideally have had to down 4 top 10 teams in #10 USC, #2 Georgia, #3 Georgia Tech and #1 Northwestern in order to win the title. I can see why experts may not have mentioned UCLA when they ideally needed to beat 4 top 10 teams and no less needed to ideally beat the top 3 teams in a row for an ideally improbable NCAA title run.

However this year UCLA caught a few breaks.

3. UCLA doesn't need to play any of the top 4 seeds to win the title, as they were all upset.

4. Someone else told me a good point. UCLA got an extra scholarship for this year (great timing) granted by the NCAA for a medical 5th year in Alex McGoodwin... since this occurred after they had signed Andrea Remynse, they get 9 scholies this year and then only 7 next year. Basically, they got an extra card in the deck. They have a deep team and this extra spot is huge for them now that Ashley Joelson, who played #4 last year, is hurt and out for the tourney... this extra scholie means they have not been hurt by having to bring up Victoria Lind to the 6th spot.

At the start of the season my favorite to win the national title was UCLA. The NCAA finalist the previous year had their top 8 players returning plus added a top 10 recruit Andrea Remynse who could crack the line-up. I predict UCLA to go all the way because they have experience. I think the four seniors will get Stella Sampras her first NCAA team title as the coach.

P.S. Stella Sampras may have been able to win a title earlier. Someone else told me a couple years ago she shipped out a few starting players with bad attitudes. A title this year would be like a reward for her choosing to stick to her principles over winning at any cost. I admire someone who would rather lose a possible championship, then lose their principles.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #32
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold
Re: NCAA Championship predictions

UCLA looks really good to win now. up 3-2 at this point with #2 singles and # 5 singles left to go.
desariofan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #33
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

Listen desario fan,
if UCLA wins it'll because they are the BETTER team than Florida. I don't like ucla. they beat my USC trojans 3x this year but the Pac10 is by far the best conference, much better than SEC or ACC in outdoor tennis.
Gouchi,
Stella sampras didn't just ship "a few good players" She shipped out Megan bradley, who goes on to be a dominant #1 for Miami, Daniela Bercek and Jackie Carleton, who both went onto Duke, and were ranked in the top 10, top 20. That takes guts. I have to hand it to her, she always gets her team ready for the NCAA. USC has the better teams in the past (not this year) but ucla often beats them and gets farther in the tournaments.
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #34
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer View Post
Listen desario fan,
if UCLA wins it'll because they are the BETTER team than Florida. I don't like ucla. they beat my USC trojans 3x this year but the Pac10 is by far the best conference, much better than SEC or ACC in outdoor tennis.
Gouchi,
Stella sampras didn't just ship "a few good players" She shipped out Megan bradley, who goes on to be a dominant #1 for Miami, Daniela Bercek and Jackie Carleton, who both went onto Duke, and were ranked in the top 10, top 20. That takes guts. I have to hand it to her, she always gets her team ready for the NCAA. USC has the better teams in the past (not this year) but ucla often beats them and gets farther in the tournaments.
aint nothing here to take it personal, pal. take a chill pill before you tell someone to "listen"
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #35
country flag desariofan

it looks like boonstra will lose the 3rd set to lumpkin at this point --- to win it 4-2. i would hate it if it came down to #2 borsanyi vs Lin. she lost it for FL last year, too. Wonder if it'd make a difference if diana were to be healthy and played. she isn't being reshirted, either. she is done with tennis.

UCLA wins ncaa 2008
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #36
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Listen desario fan,
Gouchi,
There was also Feriel Essenghier who went to Northwestern. I've read the other side of the story and I wouldn't necessarily say they had bad attitudes. The only people that know the story were those girls and Stella Sampras.

USC had tons of promise although the injury to Nelson and Fansler going MIA really hurt them. It is dissapointing but you have to remember they are a very young team and although Ramos is no Nelson (that we know of yet) she's very talented and should be at No. 2/3 in the line-up next year.

Although some teams like to do the two recruits per year, it's almost as if teams are building toward a three-four recruits per year that way you have a very seasoned team come senior year (good examples are UCLA, Cal and USC in a couple years). That is of course if you can get that many good recruits and have them all peak at the right time.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #37
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by desariofan View Post
it looks like boonstra will lose the 3rd set to lumpkin at this point --- to win it 4-2. i would hate it if it came down to #2 borsanyi vs Lin. she lost it for FL last year, too. Wonder if it'd make a difference if diana were to be healthy and played. she isn't being reshirted, either. she is done with tennis.

UCLA wins ncaa 2008
That's the crazy part to think about what if Florida had Srebovic. She would play No. 1/2 and then everyone moves down plus add her to doubles. That would be sick. Unfortunately for Florida that wasn't the case.

In terms of Pac-10 love, I think they get overlooked a lot compared to the East Coast teams. I gave a reasoning why in another thread (thanks in part to ranking as a result of the proximity of other highly ranked teams compared to the East Coast. The East Coast teams are closer distance which allows for easy scheduling of top teams) but year after year they show everyone at NCAA.

Coming up, Pac-10 grudge match. The rubber match for the NCAA. Granted Cal beat UCLA when UCLA was not at full strength, but then again when UCLA won it was 4-3 victory. Should be excellent. Go Bears!
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #38
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

Pac10 showdown Cal vs UCLA. congratulations. Just like i predicted, pac10 schools in the finals! once again, pac10 shows all the other conferences to be pure pretenders.
I'm cheering for Cal more. it's a good story for both schools, as they have large contingency of seniors graduating. good for them.
Tennis ace, congrats to your team. I'm disappointed in fansler. She had such a good freshman year and this year she's bellow 500! i dont know. plus maria sanchez and leyla both have good games but need to develop them more. sanchez could be a #2/3 player for SC. leyla could hold down #6 even better if she just went for her groundstrokes once in a while.
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #39
tennis_pIayer

Cal would've been unbeatable if they had kept henkel btw. she would be #2 and cossou #3. that's crazy. she was a semifinalist at USO btw.
UCLA wins doubles
#1- Cal wins, babos vs zalaeda not a good matchup for ucla if babos is playing well.
#2- Cal Cossu is too consistent and fast for lin
#3- Schnack: she lost to alexander b/c she got hit off the court. viscio will not d othat. UCLA
#4- tossup. can't predict
#5- tossup. but i'm gonna go with lumpkin as kusano confidence just aint there.
#6 bosubic over mcgoodwin easily.
so it'll boil down to the matchups at 4 and 5. i see ucla winning only if the get both. if cal wins one of them they'll be the champs.

Last edited by tennis_pIayer : May 19th, 2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #40
Tennisace

Here are the results from the two times Cal and UCLA played this year:

Quote:
No. 8 California 4, No. 11 UCLA 3
Mar. 1, 2008 | Los Angeles Tennis Center | Los Angeles
Doubles
1. No. 30 Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) def. No. 53 Babos/Kusano (CAL) 8-5
2. No. 49 Lumpkin/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) 8-0
3. Joelson/Schnack (UCLA) def. Bobusic/Dillon (CAL) 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1 (UCLA wins doubles point)
Singles
1. No. 10 Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. No. 7 Susie Babos (CAL) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
2. No. 52 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. Tracy Lin (UCLA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
3. No. 41 Cristina Visico (CAL) def. No. 27 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6(2)
4. No. 83 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. No. 87 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) 6-2, 6-3
6. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) def. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 5, 2, 1, 3*

No. 9 UCLA 4, No. 6 California 3
Apr. 4, 2008 | Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Doubles
1. No. 20 Babos/Kusano (CAL) def. No. 9 Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) 8-6
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. No. 59 Lumpkin/Wetmore (UCLA) 8-4
3. Joelson/McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Moore/Visico (CAL) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1* (California wins doubles point)
Singles
1. No. 16 Susie Babos (CAL) def. No. 11 Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(4)
2. No. 12 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. No. 43 Tracy Lin (UCLA) 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 48 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. No. 34 Cristina Visico (CAL) 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 52 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. No. 91 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) 3-6, 7-6(10), 6-3
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. No. 92 Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. No. 102 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 6, 1, 5, 4*
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #41
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Quote:
Listen desario fan,
Gouchi,
Listen tennis_pIayer, you're killing my name!

It's "Go UCI," my team is UC Irvine.

Gouchi? ...You made me sound like a designer bag!
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #42
Tennisace

I think it's UCLA's to lose. They have better doubles and I think they're favored on courts No. 1, 3, and 5 in singles. No. 3 and No. 5 are locks and I think Zalameda is playing better tennis than Babos. At No. 3 doubles it'll be interesting in that it will be a new UCLA No. 3 team vs. a new Cal No. 3 team although the UCLA team is still better than the Cal No. 3. The other two doubles match-up will play each other for the third time. It looks like Cal has a lock at No. 2 and No. 6.

No. 4 will be a very important match. Since Ilckinas' semifinal run at the Pac-10 tournament, she's been very on. I think she's playing better tennis (with more confidence) than the last time she played Remynse. Interestingly enough, they are both undefeated in NCAA play and Cal needs this in order to win the NCAA championships.

It'll be very interesting to see how experience plays a role in this match. Obviously UCLA got to the finals last year and their entire team save for Remynse has been in this situation. While Cal, didn't reach the finals last year it's semifinal run will be important but I wonder if they will have enough experience to win.

I kind of feel like Cal has great momentum but like I predicted from the very beginning I'm going with UCLA 4-3.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #43
country flag gouci

No. 3 singles a lock for UCLA? The scoreboard prediction disagrees with you. It says 6-2,6-1 for Visico.

Quick look before the match starts. http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/lives...lsaTennis.html

Last edited by gouci : May 20th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #44
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

UCLA takes its first title 4-0 over Cal with victories from #'s 1 and 3 doubles and 1, 4, and 6 singles.

I was watching on ESPNU, and I was very impressed with the resolve of the UCLA team. Riza Zalameda has been so instrumental to UCLA's success, and it was fantastic to see her get wins in singles and doubles today, playing very, very well. Andrea Remynse also left a lasting impression, showing tremendous composure to win a tight first set tiebreak and then get the win after a slight choke at the end. Finally, Alex McGoodwin totally redeemed herself for her disappointing performance last year in the final in singles. She was in control from the get-go, and she played as well as I have ever seen her play.

Now to the bad, Babos really just fell apart at #1 in the second and third sets. Granted, Riza was playing great tennis, but I expected Susie to be a little more fired up and to make the contest a little closer. Also disappointing were both players in the #5 singles match. Both Lumpkin and Kusano have to be among the most annoying personalities that I've seen in NCAA women's tennis, arguing with calls and yelling basically every game. Kusano played superb tennis to come back in the second, but she was definitely aided by Lumpkin's complete collapse.

Overall, the match was closer than the score indicates. I think that Cal definitely would have gotten the win at #2, as Cossou is just stronger than Lin in tight moments. #3 was up for grabs, and, although I would bet against another Lumpkin choke, #5 was also up in the air. Congrats to UCLA, a well deserved title!
tucker1989 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM   #45
Tennisace

The sad part for both teams is next year is definitely a rebuilding year and either will have a tough time making quarters/semis of NCAAs. Schnack and Remynse will go from playing No. 3/4 to most likely No. 1/2. I imagine Nina Pantic will put in the No. 3 spot followed by Joelson at No. 4, and incoming freshman Alexandria Walters at No. 5.

Cal is lucky it picked up Cossou this year as she will play No. 1 next year and has at least shown she can handle the top spot. I'm predicting No. 2 singles will go to freshman Mari Andersson followed by red shirt senior Marion Ravelojaona at No. 3. I think she'll keep Ilcinkas at No. 4 (or possibly swap her with Marion). Bobusic will move to No. 5 and incoming freshman Stephany Chang at No. 6.

That being said the Pac-10 won't be as strong as it has been in years past. Stanford had it's transition period this year although they will have a very young team next year (four returning starters but they're starting six will be 2 freshman, 2 sophomores, 1 junior, and 1 senior). It's USC's opportunity to take the Pac-10 reigns next year. They better hope the sophomore slump is not a new tradition (ie Fink and Fansler's sophomore slump) that Sanchez and Entekhabi pick up.