The Discovery Thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #31
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ''Discovery'' Thread... How did Anne Minter go at the Wilson Series Open AR3?

I certainly remember Anne Minter. I was fairly young during her playing years, but old enough to remember some of her matches. I never really considered myself a fan of hers though. Something about her that gave me the shits. Can't quite put my finger on it...might be that annoying 80s headband she used to wear.
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #32
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of
Re: The ''Discovery'' Thread... How did Anne Minter go at the Wilson Series Open AR3?

I rememeber her really well. She had a great forehand and her serve was o.k. Movement was not her strong point and her backhand was not great. She had some great wins over people such as Virginia Wade and Dianne Fromholtz. She was a real stalwart for us in Fed Cup and she also had a sister called Liz who won the US Open Juniors. Catarina Lindqvist was her great mate on tour and when Anne had her first daughter she named her Catarina after her. I always felt that she was overlooked by TA as she was just a sort of plodder but very consistent. She was always very nice.
scottsue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #33
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsue View Post
I always felt that she was overlooked by TA as she was just a sort of plodder but very consistent. She was always very nice.
The bar was alot higher in the 1980's than now - near top 20 didn't cut it when Anne came on the tour after the likes of Turnbull, Fromholtz etc... reached the top 5. We'd be hailing her as a queen if she was playing now!
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #34
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
The bar was alot higher in the 1980's than now - near top 20 didn't cut it when Anne came on the tour after the likes of Turnbull, Fromholtz etc... reached the top 5. We'd be hailing her as a queen if she was playing now!
You are so right! How things have changed now!
scottsue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #35
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ''Discovery'' Thread

I didn't really know where to put this but Tennis NSW has secured Glenn Tasker as its new CEO...
What's so special about this, you ask? Well Tasker has been the CEO of Swimming Australia for the past 7 years and has overseen the continued strengthening of our swimming team. He starts his job this month
Article here: http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image...591.5278655671

Also Tennis NSW has launched the ''Unite. Change. Survive.'' initative. Following several investigations into the management and structuring of tennis in NSW, the organisation is looking to re-establish itself as Australia's top tennis state. Apparently, interest in tennis is greatest in NSW, but they recieve less state government funding than other states and have 50% less registered members than Victoria.

One vision for Tennis NSW is to have at least 4 players in the top 100 by 2015 and for these players to be involved in David and Fed Cup...
Article is here: http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/defau...0&pageId=13404

Quite interesting, and really, about bloody time they tried to re-invigorate the game down there...I mean NSW has produced players like Margaret Court, Evonne Cawley, Ken Rosewall, John Newcombe and more recently quality players like Jelena Dokic, Evie Dominikovic, Renee Stubbs, Todd Woodbridge, Jason Stoltenberg etc. For the biggest state in Australia not to have any top 100 players, it is an absolute disgrace...hopefully this is the start of some exciting times in NSW...

Although their current crop of juniors pales in significance to WA, QLD and VIC

----------------------------------
Also, Teiwa Casey has been over in Europe and made back to back quarter finals at some 14&U events, pretty impressive considering she is a year out of her age group. Also Stephanie Stoljic has made a quarter final too, and she is also only 13
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #36
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ''Discovery'' Thread - REVIVAL OF TENNIS IN NSW?

Well, four top 100 players by 2015 for one state let alone Australia is very ambitious. But i'm looking forward to seeing some change. Maybe we need better faiclities out of Sydney, and to get young school kids to get involved because right now only sports involving football seems to be encouraged..
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #37
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!

To start off with, Johanna Konta is not the only Australian born girl we have lost to Great Britain. Laura Robson, who has beaten Melanie Oudin and Bojana Jovanovski to advance to the semi finals of Junior Wimbledon, was born in Melbourne! Too bad for us, looks like she is going to be a really good player...

Anyway,
Today, 14 year old Viktorija Rajicic won the 18&U Glen Iris title on clay today. The No.2 seed eased her way through the draw, winning each and every match in straight sets. Looks like Rajicic is in good form and she will now head to Europe for a month or so on clay in preparation for the World Junior Tennis Competition in August.

At the 2008 Optus Winter Nationals, Molly Polak (No.2 to Rajicic on the World Junior Tennis Competition team) won the 14&U title, dropping only one set to another ''Discovery Thread'' player, 13 year old Kassandra Dunser, in the third round, 6-1 6-7(4) 6-2. Polak dropped just ten games in the next three matches, outplaying top seed Teiwa Casey 6-2 6-4 in the semi finals before demolishing New Zealand's Leela Beattie, 6-1 6-1 in the final...Nice win Molly

Finally, in an all Queensland match up, Lyann Hoang took on fellow ''Discovery Thread'' athlete, Ashleigh Barty in the 12&U final. Hoang dropped 1 set and 22 games in 5 matches to make the final, whilst Barty lost just 11 in 5 matches. This included a 6-2 6-2 win over the No.2 seed in the semi. I have seen both of these girls training at UQ. Barty is quite short but has some good groundstrokes. Hoang is much taller and stronger, and this proved a decisive factor as the top seed beat the third seeded Barty 6-2 6-0.

Judging by rankings and results this 14&U crop looks quite competitive. Hopefully a few of them start getting some points on the ITF Junior Circuit later this year
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #38
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

Gah stupid britain, why would anyone want to live in that miserable place anyway? Ok I'm just bitter..
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #39
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

I played at the Glen Iris club last Sunday for Pennant. Really awesome club, which looks over a the golf course with the trees and creeks and everything. It seems like a country club and has history going back to the early 1900's through tennis and croquet. I was kinda disappointed it wasn't grass courts
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #40
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

didnt no where to put this...

but who is "Marisa Gianotti"?

She's an Aussie who received a QWC to Budapest?

I've never heard of her???
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #41
country flag OZTENNIS

Thanks for posting Harvs
Marisa Gianotti is a 21 year old West Australian. She has chanced her arm on the ITF Women's Circuit this season, and has reached one quarter final at a 10k in Turkey and a second round in another 10k in Turkey. By playing in Budapest quallies, she will gain a WTA Ranking
Have to wait until ozfan comes online because he knows Marisa ...
Good luck to her
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #42
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

kk cool thanks
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #43
country flag Harvs

y would she recieve a QWC?
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #44
country flag OZTENNIS

Because these Tier 3 and Tier 4 claycourt events in Eastern Europe tend to be quite weak, and they often just hand wildcards to players who apply for them
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #45
country flag Harvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
Because these Tier 3 and Tier 4 claycourt events in Eastern Europe tend to be quite weak, and they often just hand wildcards to players who apply for them
hmm ok... i woulda thought there would have been more players from the region who could have used a WC and have rankings...

but im not complaining

thanks