Estoril Open reports and photos (posts #58 and #78), with many more to come - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #76
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Estoril Open reports (concluded) and photos (post #58), with many more to come

One last note from today: near the mass of people waiting for that mug who won the men's tournament to pass on his way to the players' tent, I noticed Mariana Alves, who I think was going to get Maria João Köhler (another Portuguese junior hopeful), who was also there, an autograph from Federer. A Brazilian gentleman complimented her and asked for a photo, and she made this huge "mission accomplished" smile for the camera (you can't even begin to imagine how much she had to rush around to get those lazy ass workers to cover the courts or repair them).

At least somebody knew who was the real star of the tournament.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM   #77
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Estoril Open reports (concluded) and photos (post #58), with many more to come

First batch of photos. More to follow.

Giantess Hrdinova

Eloisa Maria Compostizo de Andres and her legs

Dekmeijere

Pironkova - slap on the thigh

Camille Pin - bombs away!

Lilia Osterloh
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #78
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Estoril Open reports and photos (posts #58 and #78), with many more to come

You really know your tennis Corswandt. And you can write, and have a good sense of humour. And you seem to be a pro photographer. How do you get the players to pose for you? Is there a special wording, or is it just the Corswandt charm?

I particularly enjoyed your observation that Roddick's game on big points resembles Camille Pin's- you're so right, he chips the backhand, loops the forehand, and even sometimes slows the serve down (although not to Camille's level).

I personally find the lack of power and charming inability to hit certain shots, smashes etc, rather endearing in Camille. It's almost cute. She seems to be trying to hit a bit harder though sometimes - although apparently she returns to plan A when it doesn't work. So I'm one of those people who likes watching her. But wait, she's a hussy? I'm so disillusioned. I guess it's to be expected of the French girls.

Kirilenko, yeah, sometimes when she gets a half opening she comes up to it, tries to do something, and it actually ends up softer than the shot before. Like she's trying to do it by leaning on it instead of generating racquet head speed, and gets a bit cramped up. It frustrates me.

So much to read, so if I see someone's name in a draw I'm not familiar with I think I'll come look at your comments to see if I can find out about her. I've got a couple of questions but no need to answer if you don't have time. I saw Arina before and thought she dropshotted an awful lot (on Rebound Ace too). In the match you saw, was she still doing this? I guess it might seem normal on clay. And my opinion of Kerber's serve: not only not much pace, but placement is average. Almost always at least 1 metre from the corner. Very little spin too, second serve is like a soft version of first. I'll take your word on your analysis of Michelle Larcher de Brito. I've been wondering what she was like. Soft serve huh? I've seen a clip of her on youtube, and could only see her groundstrokes, which appear to have an effortless, almost lazy whippiness (lets go of one hand sometimes on backhand) but without being ferocious. Seems to generate the energy early in the swing and then just relax, not bothering to exert herself later on in the swing- but maybe that's just in practice?

You seem to be able to move about from match to match, rather than being stuck on one court? I'm envious, I wish Auckland had a setup like that. We can only really do that during the qualifying matches. Or have you just bought tickets to every court? Maybe there's an all-court pass? You probably wrote about this somewhere but you wrote so much!
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM   #79
country flag HenryMag.

HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute HenryMag. has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, in Estoril you buy a ticket to all courts and watch all the matches you want. No need to be stuck in a Court. I really like it.
HenryMag. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #80
country flag IMPOSSIBLE
. . .

IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute

was the Osterloh photos from doubles with Arvidsson

♠ Check Out > Sofia-Arvidsson.webs.com

♠ Follow > Sofia Arvidsson Twitter Fans
IMPOSSIBLE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM   #81
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwhittle14 View Post
was the Osterloh photos from doubles with Arvidsson
Yes it was and yes I did.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM   #82
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
And you seem to be a pro photographer.
You have got to be joking. The only reason why these photos look merely lousy instead of horrid is because I cropped and resized all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH
How do you get the players to pose for you? Is there a special wording, or is it just the Corswandt charm?
Wording is most often merely showing my toy camera and saying "Photo?".

Getting them just after they've won their matches and are feeling all giddy is a good start.

Quote:
I personally find the lack of power and charming inability to hit certain shots, smashes etc, rather endearing in Camille.
You're so right - I forgot about that one. She botched - badly - every single overhead she tried to hit.

Quote:
I saw Arina before and thought she dropshotted an awful lot (on Rebound Ace too). In the match you saw, was she still doing this?
I was at that match more for Suarez Navarro than Arina, but from what I do remember Arina wasn't suffering from dropshotitis.

Quote:
And my opinion of Kerber's serve: not only not much pace, but placement is average. Almost always at least 1 metre from the corner. Very little spin too, second serve is like a soft version of first.
Placement was adequate on the match vs Pin, but I only saw a set and Court 2 makes for very poor viewing.

Quote:
You seem to be able to move about from match to match, rather than being stuck on one court? I'm envious, I wish Auckland had a setup like that. We can only really do that during the qualifying matches. Or have you just bought tickets to every court? Maybe there's an all-court pass? You probably wrote about this somewhere but you wrote so much!
Two kinds of tickets at the Estoril Open:

- "recinto" ("visitante" in 2007) - ground pass, access to all courts save for Court Central
- "Court Central" - access to all courts including Court Central

Last year I got "visitante" tickets for most of the days I went there. This year I got a full set of "Court Central" tickets to be able to see Roger. All the outside courts (Centralito and Courts 1-2-3-4) are very close to each other, so you can hop from one court to another with the utmost ease.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #83
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Corswandt, I hope all these compliments aren't swelling your head!
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #84
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie janie View Post
Corswandt, I hope all these compliments aren't swelling your head!
Masterful.

You manage to imply at the same time that those compliments are unwarranted and that I'm conceited, but in such a subtle way that you'd always be able to say that no, you meant nothing of the sort.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #85
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

No, you're reading too much into my stupid comment. All the compliments are very well-deserved. Your reports and pics are great. I hope you can attend some challengers this year and give us more of the same.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #86
country flag Corswandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie janie View Post
No, you're reading too much into my stupid comment. All the compliments are very well-deserved. Your reports and pics are great. I hope you can attend some challengers this year and give us more of the same.
I'm getting totally paranoid (notice how I reacted in the other thread when one of the Lusoténis kids showed up to pimp their blog). I blame it on hanging around Jujutards too much.