2008 Match of the Week Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #106
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2008 Match of the Week Thread

I'm shocked that Arizona State upset Stanford. Haha and it looks like Burdette lost the deciding match. She sure is paying for those comments earlier in the season. I'm really surprised that Arizona State was able to sweep doubles, granted Stanford doesn't have great teams but the score lines suggest that it was all ASU.

Should be a tight one between Arizona State and Cal tomorrow. I think ASU needs to win the doubles point to stand a chance of another upset.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #107
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
I'm shocked that Arizona State upset Stanford. Haha and it looks like Burdette lost the deciding match. She sure is paying for those comments earlier in the season. I'm really surprised that Arizona State was able to sweep doubles, granted Stanford doesn't have great teams but the score lines suggest that it was all ASU.

Should be a tight one between Arizona State and Cal tomorrow. I think ASU needs to win the doubles point to stand a chance of another upset.
I was just thinking the same thing. Karma's a bitch Lindsay
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #108
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer View Post
between the pac-10 schools, there's 5 contenders, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford and ASU
they each play the other schools 2 times total, for possible 8 matches.
so far
berkely 3-1 (bt ucla/stanf/asu, lost usc, tomorrow vs asu)
USC 2-2 (bt cal/asu, lost ucla/stanf)
UCLA 2-2 (bt stanf/usc, lost cal/asu)
Stanford 2-3 (bt usc/asu, lost asu/cal/ucla)
asu 2-3 ( bt stanf-ucla, lost stanf/berk/usc)
interesting race. next week will be big, as usc-ucla (2 LA schools) will play the 2 san francisco school (stanford/berkeley)
Technically speaking for the Pac-10 title, none of the earlier matches between Cal/USC/UCLA/Stanford counted. It's next week's matches that are designated as counting toward Pac-10 title play. For ASU, this weekend's matches against Cal/Stanford count for Pac-10 play.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #109
Tennisace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. Karma's a bitch Lindsay
I don't remember how many times but she's definitely had the dual on her racket at least a couple times now. Who's not mentally strong now?
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #110
Tennisace

Is Plotkin injured? I think its obvious to everyone that Iyer isn't Duke's top player. Duke obviously suffered without Plotkin in the line-up. As you said they have weak No. 5 and 6 players.

With the spread of talent in NCAA tennis now, it's no longer about having good No. 1-3 players. The schools that are doing well now have strong No. 4-6 players. Essentially the top teams now split No. 1-3 as opposed to the past where they swept No. 1-3. As a result being able to sweep No. 4-6 is more important.

I think Cal is a good example of not necessarily having the strongest No. 1-3 but a very solid No. 4-6 that gets the job done almost every time.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #111
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

tennisace,
I know its only the 2nd matchup for pac10 teams standings, but i'm saying overall, in the grand scheme of things, the first round is still important, for rankings, measure of a team's true abilities, etc. ex, asu bt stanford 4-3 the second time around, if you only count that, then they are better than stanf. but they lost to stanf 1-6 the first time, so are they really better? its more debatable.
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #112
Tennisace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer View Post
tennisace,
I know its only the 2nd matchup for pac10 teams standings, but i'm saying overall, in the grand scheme of things, the first round is still important, for rankings, measure of a team's true abilities, etc. ex, asu bt stanford 4-3 the second time around, if you only count that, then they are better than stanf. but they lost to stanf 1-6 the first time, so are they really better? its more debatable.
From a funny point of view (and looking after the overall well being and ranking of Pac-10 teams), it's actually better if they split matches as opposed to winning both times they meet. Thanks to the way the rankings are set-up, you actually want to "root" for the teams that you beat so that your ranking can go up.

It'll be an interesting ASU-Cal match up tomorrow (I wish there was live stats/video). Last time they played Cal won 5-2, winning the doubles point. The two loses came at No. 5 and 6, when Cal used it's reserve players (their No. 7 and 8) due to injury. But then again, ASU lost to Stanford 1-6 last time so I think all bets are off.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #113
Tennisace

ASU can't come up with two upsets in two days, losing to Cal. ASU played without their No. 2 doubles player Leitch (also in singles). I wonder why Cal didn't snag McKenna, who expressed interest in playing for Cal. She certainly would have been a better addition than Rachael Dillon. I imagine McKenna was not recruited because Coach Brogan wanted Coach Jensen to build her own team starting with the current freshman (Brogan felt that if she recruited the freshman, it would be unfair to Jensen which makes sense).

Quote:
#7 Cal 5, #15 ASU 2
Doubles
1. S. Kusano & S. Babos (CAL) def. N. Abdala & L. Abdala (ASU) 8-7(5)*
2. M. Hein & K. McKenna (ASU) def. C. Ilcinkas & M. Coussou (CAL) 8-6
3. W. Pilecka & L. Megale (ASU) vs. R. Dillon & B. Bobusic (CAL) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1 Tiebreaker played at 7-7

Singles
1. Marina Coussou (CAL) def. Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-1 4-6 6-4
2. Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Susie Babos (CAL) 6-3 7-5
3. Cristina Visico (CAL) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) 3-6 7-5 7-5
4. Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Micaela Hein (ASU) 2-6 6-1 6-1
5. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU) 6-1 7-6(7)
6. Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU) 6-2 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 4, 1, 3
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #114
Tennisace

California goes 1-1 this weekend while Stanford comes back with a 2-0 weekend. Schnack played against California but was absent from the Stanford dual match (although Deason was out for the UCLA match). Cal was playing without its normal No. 3 doubles team. Should be an interesting final dual against Cal and Stanford. Whoever wins the Cal-Stanford dual, wins the Pac-10 title (with UCLA a chance to share the Pac-10 title if they beat USC).

Quote:
No. 6 California 6, No. 8 USC 1
Apr. 5, 2008 | Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Doubles
1. No. 6 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. No. 20 Babos/Kusano (CAL) 8-4
2. Kintsler/Nelson (USC) def. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) 8-4
3. Andrews/Sanchez (USC) def. Moore/Visico (CAL) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1 (USC wins doubles point)

Singles
1. No. 16 Susie Babos (CAL) def. No. 50 Lindsey Nelson (USC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 12 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. No. 10 Amanda Fink (USC) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
3. No. 34 Cristina Visico (CAL) def. No. 71 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) 6-3, 6-3
4. No. 91 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. No. 118 Sarah Fansler (USC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) def. No. 115 Maria Sanchez (USC) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
6. No. 102 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. No. 108 Leyla Entekhabi (USC) 7-5, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 4, 3, 2*, 1, 5
Quote:
No. 9 UCLA 4, No. 6 California 3
Apr. 4, 2008 | Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Doubles
1. No. 20 Babos/Kusano (CAL) def. No. 9 Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) 8-6
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. No. 59 Lumpkin/Wetmore (UCLA) 8-4
3. Joelson/McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Moore/Visico (CAL) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1* (California wins doubles point)

Singles
1. No. 16 Susie Babos (CAL) def. No. 11 Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(4)
2. No. 12 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. No. 43 Tracy Lin (UCLA) 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 48 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. No. 34 Cristina Visico (CAL) 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 52 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. No. 91 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) 3-6, 7-6(10), 6-3
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Stephanie Kusano (CAL) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. No. 92 Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. No. 102 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 6, 1, 5, 4*
Quote:
No. 5 Stanford 5, No. 9 UCLA 2
DOUBLES
1) No. 9 Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) d. No. 17 Barte/Burdette (STAN) 8-3
2) No. 59 Lumpkin/Wetmore(UCLA) d. Deason/Nguyen (STAN) 8-4
3) Durkin/McVeigh (STAN) d. Joelson/McGoodwin (UCLA) 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3

SINGLES
1) No. 7 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 11 Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2) No. 19 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 43 Tracy Lin (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
3) Celia Durkin (STAN) d. No. 52 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
4) No. 93 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) 6-4, 6-3
5) No. 92 Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) d. No. 68 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6) Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) d. No. 125 Jennifer Yen (STAN) d. 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3, 6, 1, 5
Quote:
No. 5 Stanford 5, No. 8 USC 2
DOUBLES
1) No. 17 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. No. 6 Fink/Niculsecu (USC) 8-4
2) Deason/Nguyen (STAN) d. Kinstler/Nelson (USC) 8-2
3) Durkin/McVeigh (STAN) d. Sanchez/Andrews (USC) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1

SINGLES
1) No. 7 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 50 Lindsey Nelson (USC) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 19 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 10 Amanda Fink (USC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
3) Celia Durkin (STAN) d. No. 71 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) 6-1, 6-1
4) No. 93 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. No. 118 Sarah Fansler (USC) 6-3, 6-4
5) No. 115 Maria Sanchez (USC) d. No. 54 Whitney Deason (STAN) 6-7, 4-3, ret.
6) No. 108 Leyla Entekhabi (USC) d. No. 68 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 2, 6

Last edited by Tennisace : Apr 6th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #115
Tennisace

A couple matches that need updating:

Quote:
#1 Northwestern 4, #16 Notre Dame 3
Apr 09, 2008 at Notre Dame, Ind.
Singles competition
1. #3 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. #41 Kelcy Tefft (ND) 6-1, 7-5
2. Brook Buck (ND) def. #5 Georgia Rose (NU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. #122 Cosmina Ciobanu (ND) def. #25 Samantha Murray (NU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #42 Lauren Lui (NU) def. Colleen Rielley (ND) 6-2, 7-5
5. Nazlie Ghazal (NU) def. Kali Krisik (ND) 6-3, 6-3
6. Suzie Matzenauer (NU) def. Katie Potts (ND) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-0

Doubles competition
1. #1 Brook Buck/Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. #13 Samantha Murray/Lauren Lui (NU) 8-2
2. Georgia Rose/Alexis Conill (NU) def. Kali Krisik/Kristen Rafael (ND) 8-1
3. Cosmina Ciobanu/Colleen Rielley (ND) def. Nazlie Ghazal/Maria Mosolova (NU) 8-5
Quote:
No. 7 Duke 5, No. 15 North Carolina 2
April 8, 2008
Ambler Tennis Stadium – Durham, N.C.

Singles
1. #8 Sanaz Marand (UNC) def. Tara Iyer (D) 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
2. #15 Ellah Nze (D) def. #29 Katrina Tsang (UNC) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
3. #17 Reka Zsilinszka (D) def. #97Austin Smith (UNC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Melissa Mang (D) def. Laura Reichert (UNC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Amanda Granson (D) def. Sophie Grabinski (UNC) 6-3, 6-0
6. Meg Fanjoy (UNC) def. Jessi Robinson (D) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,3,4*, 6,1,2

Doubles
1. #5 Mang/Granson (D) def. #3 Marand/Grabinski (UNC), 8-3
2. #51 Smith/Tsang (UNC) def. Robinson/Tory Zawacki (D), 8-1
3. Zsilinszka/Nze (D) def. Reichert/Alexandra Jurewitz (UNC), 8-3
Order of finish: 2,3,1*
Quote:
No. 49 Washington 4, No. 12 Arizona State 3
Doubles
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) def. (28) N. Abdala/L. Abdala (ASU), 8-6
2. McKenna/Hein (ASU) def. Chan/Anonsen (UW), 8-3
3. Pilecka/Lauren Megale (ASU) def. Malovic/Wong (UW), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1

Singles
1. (41) Venise Chan (UW) def. (31) Nadia Abdala (ASU), 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (5)*
2. (26) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
3. (119) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Laila Abdala (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Micaela Hein (ASU), 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
5. Kelsey Anonsen (UW) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU), 7-5, 6-0
6. Ashlee Brown (ASU) def. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 5, 2, 4, 1
* Clinching match
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #116
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

UCLA #6 def USC #10 5-2
Baylor #3 def Texas 7-0
Stanford #4 Vs California #5

And from the ACC tournament, some big surprises
quarters: #17 Florida state def #11 miami 4-2
Semis: Clemson #25 def GEORGIA TECH #2 (HUGE UPSET
#9 duke def #17 Florida state 4-2.

And from the SEC tournament
Semis: Georgia #8 def #16 Arkansas 4-3
Florida # 5 vs #12 vanderbilt
big results everywhere.

Parity is KING
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #117
country flag LegionArgentina

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if Carla Zabaleta was stil playing college tennis in USA,(Uni.Tulsa)?
Is that tennis university good?Any information about her and her team.
Thanks in advance
LegionArgentina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM   #118
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion Argentina View Post
I was wondering if Carla Zabaleta was stil playing college tennis in USA,(Uni.Tulsa)?
Is that tennis university good?Any information about her and her team.
Thanks in advance
Yes, she still plays for Tulsa. She is a junior, so she will probably play one more season after this one. It looks like she has been playing mostly number three singles this year.

The team is currently ranked 48 in the country, and the won their conference championship, which is a great achievement!

Here is the team website with much more information:
http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sport...nnis-body.html
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:17 PM   #119
country flag LegionArgentina

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute

It seems she is playing quite well in singles and in doubles
The website that you give me have a lot of information,also have photos/videos/and news. Thank you tucker1989.
LegionArgentina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote