French Open 2007: Andrew's TV-reports - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #1
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
French Open 2007: Andrew's TV-reports

As I'm now serving my second term as a demi-fan of Marion, I've decided to reveal my French Open 2007 TV-reports to the Marion Bartoli community.

=============
ROLAND GARROS (Paris, France; red clay; Grand Slam)
============= http://www.rolandgarros.com/
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. First-round TV-report: Bartoli v Rezaï
3. Second-round result
4. Third-round result/article
5. Fourth-round TV-report: Bartoli v Janković

---------
1. Photos
---------

http://2007.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/wtab631.html
http://www.tennis.info/Paris7.html (Third round - day 1)

-----------------------------------------
2. First-round TV-report: Bartoli v Rezaï (Tuesday 29th May 2007)
-----------------------------------------

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ MARION BARTOLI [18,S] d. Aravane Rezaï, 6-2 6-4

This was one of the "nice winner, nice loser" matches of the first-round draw, and I can't believe they televised it on BBCi! :-) They just seemed to be staying on Court Philippe Chatrier today.

Marion is a faithful Selesian, right down to her cross-handed two-handed forehand, only right-handed. She still looks overweight, although not as much as a year ago.

Aravane may not have a two-handed forehand, but her backhand is just like Monica Seles's (only right-handed), and she beat Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova to reach the Constantinople-final last week. She also looks a bit like Monica - and very cute at the moment. ;-)

I'm feeling a slight loyalty to Aravane as this match begins. I think she has a lot of star-quality with the way she hits the ball, her good (and improved) looks, and her lovely smile.

The match started at 14:05 CEST.

First set
---------
BARTO _*@ @*@* 6
REZAÏ *__@____ 2

Aravane serving 0-0: A bad bounce forced Aravane to earth a forehand. 0/15. Serve + off-forehand winner. 15/15. Marion hit an error-forcing backhand return down Aravane's backhand-line. 15/30. Marion just long. 30/30. Ace down the middle. 40/30. Marion hit a stunning crosscourt backhand winner onto the sideline. 40/40. Double fault. Ad Marion (BP). She netted a return. Deuce #2. Marion wild backhand return very long. Ad Aravane. A deep shot from Aravane forced Marion to net a backhand.

Marion serving 0-1: Aravane forehand return just long. 15/0. A deep forehand from Marion forced Aravane to hit a forehand wide. 30/0. Marion netted a backhand. 30/15. Marion netted a forehand. 30/30. Aravane netted a backhand. 40/30. Aravane hit a crosscourt backhand winner deep into the corner, making Marion look rather slow. 40/40. Marion hit a pinpoint crosscourt forehand just inside the sideline, forcing Aravane to hit a forehand just long. Ad Marion. A fantastic backhand down the line from Aravane set up an easy crosscourt forehand winner. Deuce #2. Marion came in behind a crosscourt backhand, but a low dipping pass to her feet forced her to earth a backhand volley. Ad Aravane (BP). Aravane opened up the court with a crosscourt backhand, but netted a down-the-line backhand. Deuce #3. Aravane forehand return just wide - good serve. Ad Marion. She hit an off-backhand to set up an easy crosscourt forehand winner off a short ball.

Aravane serving 1-1: Double fault. 0/15. Aravane netted a backhand. 0/30. Marion stood very far in to receive, hit an aggressive return, but her forehand on the fourth stroke hit the netcord and fell back on her own side. 15/30. Marion came to the net, forcing Aravane to rush a forehand into the net. 15/40 (2 BPs). A deep off-forehand into the corner forced a short ball, which Marion dispatched with a crosscourt forehand winner to score the first break.

Sam Smith: "It /is/ Seles-like (that's who her heroine is): hard, flat, uncompromising. She takes it earlier than Rezaï. Neither player moves well."

Marion serving 2-1: Marion forehand just long. 0/15. Aravane netted a backhand. 15/15. A deep forehand onto the baseline from Aravane shot through on Marion for a virtual winner. 15/30. Marion backhand just long. 15/40 (2 BPs). Aravane netted a forehand return. 30/40. Aravane ran down a dropshot and hit a crosscourt forehand winner. Sam Smith: "Good creativity from Bartoli with the two hands, but Rezaï quite a powerful mover when she gets going."

Sam Smith [re. Aravane]: "She goes on these patches where she just doesn't miss - so dangerous."

Aravane serving 2-2: Marion backhand wide. 15/0. Aravane netted a backhand - "great length from Bartoli" [Sam Smith]. 15/15. Aravane hit a backhand just a little too hard: just long. 15/30. Double fault (second serve hit the netcord and fell wide). 15/40 (2 BPs). Good serve + crosscourt forehand winner off the short return. 30/40. Aravane backhand on the baseline forced Marion to hit a forehand wide. 40/40. Marion's depth forced Aravane to net a sliced backhand. Ad Marion (BP #3). Marion netted a forehand return. Deuce #2. Marion hit a backhand winner down the line off a defensive lob onto the baseline from Aravane. Ad Marion (BP #4). Double fault #4. David Mercer: "And that's perhaps the difference between the two women."

Sam Smith said Aravane tries to hit every shot full-blooded, regardless of how defensive her position in the rally is.

Sam Smith: "I'm fascinated by Bartoli's little energy-bounce before she serves: she does a little hop and a jump. This is a new variation. A new thing she's added in the last year or so."

Marion serving 3-2: Service-winner. 15/0. Aravane forehand very long. 30/0. Aravane hit a forehand long as both girls struggled to control their length. 40/0. Marion ran down a dropshot and hit a crosscourt forehand winner right into the corner, on the sideline.

Aravane serving 2-4: Aravane hit a fantastic short-angled crosscourt forehand winner just inside the sideline. 15/0. A short-angled crosscourt forehand return forced Aravane into error. 15/15. Aravane forehand just wide. 15/30. Marion netted a backhand return. 30/30. Marion stands so far in to receive the second serve! Aravane netted a backhand after running down a forced dropshot. 30/40 (BP). Marion netted a forehand - "exploited the lack of reach of the double-hander" [David Mercer]. 40/40. Aravane ran down a netcord-dropshot and hit a forehand winner down the line, having been forced way outside the tramlines earlier in the rally! Ad Aravane. Marion forehand winner down the line, just inside the baseline. Sam Smith praised her disguise. Deuce #2. Marion forced Aravane to net a shot. Ad Marion (BP #2). Aravane's backhand clipped the netcord and dropped dead for a winner. Deuce #3. Marion went for a backhand winner down the line, but it was just wide (called by the umpire). Ad Aravane. Marion forced a short ball, took it on the rise and hit an off-forehand winner into the corner - "great timing" [Sam Smith]. Deuce #4. Marion off-backhand winner. Ad Marion (BP #3). Marion stood in far for the second serve, and hit a crosscourt forehand return down Aravane's forehand-line.

Marion serving 5-2: Double fault. 0/15. Aravane netted a tame forehand return. 15/15. Aravane opened up the court with a crosscourt forehand, and hit crosscourt forehand winner behind Marion. 15/30. Aravane hit a powerful backhand down the line, forcing Marion to earth a forehand. 15/40 (2 BPs). Aravane netted a forehand. 30/40. Aravane hit a wild backhand long. 40/40. Service-winner down the line, close to the centre-line. Ad Marion (SP #1). Aravane blasted a forehand wide. Marion won the first set 6-2 at 14:47.

The big difference in that set was that Marion only made 3 unforced errors.

Sam Smith: "You can never relax with Rezaï until you've won the last point, because if she goes on a /spree/, you're in trouble!"

Sam Smith recalled how she first saw Marion at ITF Deauville when Marion was about 12, but Marion was hitting the ball so hard that Sam hoped Marion wasn't anywhere near her in the draw!

Second set
----------
BARTO __@* *@ @* 6
REZAÏ *@__*__@__ 4

Aravane serving 0-0: Marion forehand return long. 15/0. Marion opened up the court with a crosscourt backhand, and Aravane hit a full-blooded backhand long. 15/15. Aravane's pace & depth forced Marion to earth a backhand. 30/15. Service-winner. 40/15. Service-winner.

There's no backswing to Aravane's serve: she just holds the racket behind her head until she's ready to hit her toss.

Marion serving 0-1: Aravane forehand just long. 15/0. Aravane hit a "world-class" backhand winner down the line. "Open stance, fantastic racket-work - so much talent" [Sam Smith]. 15/15. Aravane's width forced Marion to hit a backhand just wide. 15/30. Marion netted a forehand. 15/40 (2 BPs). Marion off-backhand winner off a short ball. Sam Smith: "Much like Seles, she gets her feet inside the baseline, and just goes for it. Really likes to play for winners from that part of the court." 30/40. Marion netted a backhand to give Aravane the first break of the second set.

Aravane serving 2-0: Double fault (second serve just long). 0/15. Marion pounced on a short ball to open up the court with a crosscourt backhand, and hit a crosscourt forehand into the gap. 0/30. Marion played a great spreading rally, but just put a down-the-line forehand wide after opening up the court beautifully. 15/30. Marion netted a forehand. 30/30. Marion came in, forced a short ball from Aravane, and hit a nice off-forehand volley-winner. 40/30. Marion moved Aravane from side to side, inducing her to hit a forehand wide to give Marion the break back.

Marion serving 1-2: Aravane's topspin forehand shot off the baseline, forcing Marion to hit a backhand wide. 0/15. Aravane opened up the court for a backhand winner down the line - ferocious hitting in that rally! 0/30. Marion hit a crosscourt backhand winner onto the sideline. 15/30. A huge backhand return forced a defensive lob from Marion, but Aravane hit a forehand long. 30/30. Aravane netted a forehand. 40/30. Aravane forehand just long.

This match is very entertaining from both players. It's a shame one of them has to lose in the first round.

Aravane serving 2-2: Aravane netted a forehand (forced by the depth of Marion's return). 0/15. Aravane fired a crosscourt forehand winner off a deep but slow, high-bouncing ball from Marion. 15/15. Aravane went for a vicious backhand winner down the line, but it was just wide. 15/30. Marion backhand return-winner down the line - "so early" [David Mercer]. 15/40 (2 BPs). Aravane saved it with a beautiful backhand drop-volley winner - "sheer inspiration" [David Mercer]. 30/40. Service-winner. 40/40. Marion dropped the ball rather short, and Aravane blasted a forehand winner down the line. Sam Smith: "The shotmaking from both players is pure and unadulterated - spectacular." Ad Aravane. She netted a forehand. Deuce #2. Aravane crosscourt forehand winner behind Marion. Ad Aravane. Marion hit a backhand dropshot just wide - no touch in that at all.

Sam Smith: "They're both loving the pace that they're giving each other."

Marion serving 2-3: Marion forehand wide. 15/0. Aravane netted a backhand. 30/0. Serve forced a short ball; Marion forehand winner down the line. 40/0. Aravane forehand wide.

Aravane serving 3-3: Aravane hit a huge backhand winner down the line into Marion's unprotected forehand-side - "absolutely unreadable" [Sam Smith]. 15/0. Double fault #6 (second serve into the net). 15/15. Aravane netted a forehand. 15/30. Marion hit a pinpoint backhand return-winner down the line, just inside the sideline. 15/40 (2 BPs). A pinpoint backhand down the line forced Aravane to net a forehand.

Marion serving 4-3: A full-blooded backhand down the line from Marion forced Aravane to hit a forehand long, and Marion shouted "allez!" 15/0. Service-winner. 30/0. Aravane hit a huge backhand winner down the line, just inside the baseline. 30/15. Aravane took the initiative, came forward, and hit an off-forehand drive-volley winner. 30/30. Marion netted a backhand. 30/40 (BP). Aravane hit a spectacular off-backhand winner on the fourth stroke to break back!

Aravane serving 4-4: Double fault #7. 0/15. Aravane hit a "world-class" backhand winner down the line, onto the sideline. Sam Smith: "There are times when Rezaï is unplayable." 15/15. A fierce backhand down the line - a sudden injection of pace - forced Marion to net a forehand. Sam Smith: "It was such a shock." 30/15. Aravane sprayed a wild backhand wide & very long. 30/30. Double fault #8. 30/40 (BP). Aravane resorted to a couple of moonballs, and Marion cleaned up with a crosscourt backhand winner to reinstate her break.

Marion serving 5-4: Aravane opened up the court with a crosscourt forehand, and hit an off-forehand winner down the line, onto the sideline. 0/15. A huge crosscourt forehand forced Marion to net a backhand. 0/30. Service-winner. 15/30. Aravane netted a sliced backhand off a very short, deep ball from Marion. 30/30. Ace down the middle. 40/30 (MP #1). A hard, deep ball from Aravane forced Marion to mishit a forehand lob wide after both girls ran each other around. 40/40. Aravane hit a huge backhand winner down the line, just inside the baseline. Ad Aravane (BP). Aravane hit a crosscourt forehand onto the sideline, Aravane hit a sliced forehand winner into the open court, but Marion stopped after the previous stroke, the umpire checked the mark and it was wide. Deuce #2. Double fault (second serve wide). Ad Aravane (BP #2). Aravane backhand long - a real waste. Deuce #3. Marion sprayed a forehand long as the wind came into play. Ad Aravane (BP #3). Aravane forehand wide. Deuce #4. A long, meaty rally ended with Marion hitting a backhand onto the baseline, and Aravane stopped playing! Ad Marion (MP #2). Service-winner (Aravane forehand return very long). Marion won 6-2 6-4 at 15:40, and emitted a roar of victory.

Sam Smith: "Rezaï has some talent - that ball-striking ability is something else - but there's some big holes in the rest of her game, and I don't know where she goes from here. Whereas Bartoli is a much more well-rounded player."

Petrova Ousted in Opener; Vaidišová, Bartoli Advance
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=1389
>>>
Bartoli had the unfortunate draw of last week's Istanbul breakout-star Aravane Rezaï for her opener, but continued to show much-improved clay-court form with an impressive 6-2 6-4 victory over her young countrywoman.

"In the second set it was a little bit closer, but I'm quite happy I ended the match in two sets," said Bartoli, who has had good results on clay in the last few weeks, including reaching the Estoril final and the Strasbourg semi-finals. "In the past I'd rest a lot during this part of the season, but this year I've practised a lot on clay, and I'm very satisfied with my clay-season so far."
<<<

----------------------
3. Second-round result (Wednesday 30th May 2007)
----------------------

+ MARION BARTOLI [18,S] d. Andrea Petković [Q], 0-6 6-2 6-3

-----------------------------
4. Third-round result/article (Friday 1st June 2007)
-----------------------------

+ MARION BARTOLI [18,S] d. ELENA DEMENTIEVA [13], 6-2 6-4

Bartoli inspired by Sampras to beat Dementieva
By Pritha Sarkar (Reuters)
>>>
Marion Bartoli took a leaf out of Pete Sampras's book to record her best showing at a Grand Slam tournament on Friday.

Local hope Bartoli reached the fourth round of the French Open for the first time after upstaging former finalist Elena Dementieva 6-2 6-4.

"At the beginning of this year, my level was not what I expected it to be. So I followed Pete Sampras's example because he was never one of the favourites on clay," said the 22-year-old, who counts hard courts as her favourite surface.

"But one year, he managed to win against guys like [Sergi] Bruguera and get into the semi-final. So I thought, if he could do it, and if he could defeat traditional claycourters, why not me? I should similarly try and prepare for clay and see what the results are.

"So I practised a lot on clay. I practised sliding, dropshots, I ran for two hours in the morning, and I played up to four to five hours per day on clay-courts to improve my performance. And today, it paid off. Today I think it wasn't bad. Not bad at all."

Sampras captured a record 14 Grand Slam titles during his distinguished career, but never conquered his claycourt-demons during 13 visits to Roland Garros.

His run to the semi-finals in 1996 proved to be his best effort in Paris, and his failure in France prevented him from completing his collection of major crowns.

Bartoli's decision to follow the American's lead gave her the confidence to pick apart Dementieva's fragile serve.

The 13th seed, runner-up to fellow Russian Anastasia Myskina in 2004, never looked comfortable during the 68-minute contest, and slid out after scooping a forehand into the net.

Bartoli will next face fourth seed Jelena Janković for a place in the quarter-finals.
<<<

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ContentID=1402
>>>
Next up for Jankovic will be No.18 seed Marion Bartoli, who downed No.13-seeded Elena Dementieva, 6-2 6-4; next up for Vaidišová is No.19 seed Tathiana Garbin, who downed wild card Stéphanie Cohen-Aloro, 6-3 6-0. Both Bartoli and Garbin have moved into a Grand Slam second week for the first time in their career.

"It's wonderful; it's a beautiful present for my mother because it's Mother's Day on Sunday," said a jubilant Bartoli, who was forced to regroup after allowing her Russian opponent to catch up from 4-2 to 4-all in that second set. "I know she is very competitive. She would never surrender. So I had to fight on each ball."
<<<

---------------------------------------------
5. Fourth-round TV-report: Bartoli v Janković (Sunday 3rd June 2007)
---------------------------------------------

- MARION BARTOLI [18,S] lt. JELENA JANKOVIĆ [4], 1-6 1-6

I saw the whole match on BBCi.

Pre-match interviews:
>>>
Marion: "J'espère un bon match." ("I hope for a good match.")

Janković: "I'm really excited for this match today. I just hope I'll play a good game."
<<<

The match started at 15:31 CEST (possibly a little earlier, as I actually watched it with a time-lag, as I was dubbing it from DVD-RAM to video-cassette, which is the only medium that I trust to be reliable for long-term archiving).

First set
---------
BARTOLI __*____ 1
JANKOVI @* *@*@ 6

Marion serving 0-0: Janković backhand just long. 0/15. Janković crosscourt forehand winner. 0/30. Janković off-backhand winner. 0/40. Marion saved the first with a pinpoint crosscourt backhand winner into the corner. 15/40. Janković hit a short-angled, very acute crosscourt forehand, forcing Marion to hit a forehand wide.

Janković is hitting the ball much harder than she did against Venus Williams, or than /I've/ ever seen her hit! The commentators are talking about it like she always hits that hard, so perhaps she does these days and the Williams-match was an exception because Williams goes for broke and doesn't give you much rhthm.

Janković serving 1-0: Janković netted a forehand. 0/15. Marion forehand just wide. 15/15. Janković hit a pinpoint backhand winner down the line. 30/15. Ace out wide. 40/15. Marion hit a nice backhand winner down the line. 40/30. Janković netted a forehand. 40/40. Marion netted a backhand. Ad Janković. Marion hit a defensive forehand lob wide.

A very fast start for Janković - so little time between points! She's forcing Marion to hit a lot of one-handed forehands.

Marion serving 0-2: Janković forehand winner down the line. 0/15. Marion's forehand smash forced Janković to balloon a forehand very long. 15/15. Janković forehand pass-winner off a weak volley from Marion. 15/30. Janković forehand down the line + forehand smash-winner. 15/40 (2 BPs). Janković dominated the rally but netted an easy backhand. 30/40. Janković off-forehand would-be return-winner just wide. 40/40. From way behind the baseline, pushed back on her heels, Marion hit an amazingly precise crosscourt backhand into the corner, forcing Janković into error. Ad Marion. Janković opened up the court with an amazing angle to set up an easy crosscourt forehand winner. Deuce #2. Marion nailed a forehand winner down the line off a mishit lob from Janković. John Lloyd: "What a winner from that position!" Ad Marion. Janković forehand would-be winner down the line called wide - very late, by the umpire.

Well played Marion - she answered Janković's brilliance with some of her own. According to Sam Smith, Richard Williams said that Venus was /intimidated/ by Janković in the previous round!

Janković serving 1-2: Marion forehand return just long. 15/0. Double fault (Marion standing in, second serve just long - very flat like Maria Sharapova). 15/15. Janković netted a forehand after a long rally with good resistance from Marion. 15/30. Marion backhand long. 30/30. Janković caught Marion napping with a crosscourt backhand winner. 40/30. I must have missed a point in that game, but I don't know where.

Sam Smith: "Janković so intense - becoming a great match-player."

Marion serving 1-3: Marion netted a backhand. 0/15. Service-winner. 15/15. Marion netted a forehand. 15/30. Janković rocketed a backhand winner down the line. 15/40 (2 BPs). Janković backhand wide. 30/40. Janković netted a forehand after a long rally with a lot of balls down the middle from Marion. 40/40. Janković forehand pass-winner off an inadequate approach from Marion. Ad Janković (BP #3). Janković hit a dropshot, ran down a dropshot, and hit a crosscourt forehand pass-winner to get the double break. She's doing much better than Marion in rallies with 4+ strokes.

Janković serving 1-4: Janković opened up the court and hit a forehand drop-volley winner down the line. 15/0. Marion backhand return just long. 30/0. Marion backhand long. 40/0. Janković sprayed a forehand wide. 40/15. Marion came in but netted a backhand volley off an awkward low ball at her feet.

Sam Smith said Janković understands which way to move when she's at the net, Marion doesn't.

John Lloyd: "She's desperate to do well in front of her home-crowd. She's rattled."

Marion serving 1-5: Double fault (second serves into the net). 0/15. Janković return-winner. 0/30. Another ill-advised approach to the net by Marion was met with a forehand pass-winner down the line from Janković. 0/40. Janković hit a slick, almost cheeky forehand dropshot-winner to win the first set 6-1 at 16:01.

Marion is taking an injury time-out - the commentators think it's a hip- or groin-injury. There's a distressed look on her face. After a lengthy evaluation-period, the trainer took Marion off the court.

Sam Smith: "She's not a product of the French system. She and her father have done it their own way."

Ten minutes after the end of the first set, Marion came back onto court limping.

Second set
----------
BARTOLI _____*_ 1
JANKOVI *@*@* * 6

Janković serving 0-0: Marion netted a forehand. 15/0. Janković exploited Marion's loss of mobility with a "cruel but smart" dropshot. 30/0. Marion forehand return long. 40/0. Janković mishit a backhand wide. 40/15. Marion forehand wide.

Marion serving 0-1: Marion backhand long. 0/15. Marion backhand just long, but so badly hit. 0/30. Double fault (second serve long). 0/40 (3 BPs). Marion netted a forehand off a deep ball from Janković.

The commentators expect Marion to retire at the end of every game.

Janković serving 2-0: Marion strolled into the net and Janković picked off a crosscourt forehand pass-winner. 15/0. Marion's forehand clipped the netcord and fell back on her own side. 30/0. Marion forehand wide. 40/0. Marion forehand just long.

Marion sat at the changeover with her head in a towel.

Marion serving 0-3: Marion forehand very long. 0/15. Janković backhand winner down the line, just inside the baseline. 0/30. Janković backhand dropshot-winner. 0/40 (3 BPs). Janković picked off a crosscourt backhand winner after mildly opening up the court.

Janković serving 4-0: A big forehand return from Marion forced Janković to earth a forehand. 0/15. Janković off-backhand drive-volley winner. 15/15. Serve out wide + forehand winner down the line. 30/15. A good return from Marion induced Janković to earth a backhand return. 30/30. Marion netted a backhand. 40/30. Janković forehand down the line would-be winner just wide. 40/40. Janković forehand wide. Ad Marion (BP). Marion backhand just long. Deuce #2. Marion netted a backhand. Ad Janković. Marion backhand return long.

I think Janković lost her focus a bit in that game - she's been ruthless in all previous games.

Marion serving 0-5: Janković forehand winner down the line off a hard backhand from Marion - an obvious example of her loss of mobility. 0/15. Marion sprayed a forehand very long. 0/30. Marion backhand dropshot-winner. 15/30. Marion hit a "ferocious", error-forcing forehand. 30/30. Marion hit a searing crosscourt backhand winner. 40/30. Janković forehand winner. 40/40. Marion netted a forehand. Ad Janković (MP #1). Marion saved it with ferocious hitting, nailing a crosscourt backhand winner into the corner. Deuce #2. Marion crosscourt backhand winner. Sam Smith: "Such a shame she couldn't play like this in the whole match." Ad Marion. Service-winner.

Janković serving 5-1: Janković netted a forehand. 0/15. Marion netted a backhand return. 15/15. Marion went for a big crosscourt backhand winner onto the sideline, but it was just wide. 15/30. Serve out wide + backhand winner down the line. 40/15 (MP #2). Janković forehand winner down the line. Janković won 6-1 6-1 at 16:35.

Articles
--------

Howard Fendrich, AP Tennis Writer
>>>
STOP THE MUSIC: When her French Open opponent took an injury timeout on Sunday, Jankovic did what plenty of 22-year-olds would if they wanted to kill some time: She pulled an MP3 player out of her bag.

The chair umpire made the No. 4-seeded Serb put it away before she got a chance to listen to any music.

"I didn't know that I'm not allowed to do that," Janković said after finishing off her 6-1 6-1 victory over No. 18 Marion Bartoli, the last French singles player in the tournament. "But we're not allowed to have electronics while we are playing."

Bored while Bartoli was off court being treated for a leg-problem, Janković got out of her changeover-chair and hit some practice-serves.

"I wanted to play with the ball-boy," she said. [Iva Majoli did just that at the French Open 1995!]

Bartoli thought she'd get a lot of help from the home-crowd, but instead found herself overwhelmed by the circumstances.

"I felt the pressure when I walked on the court," she said. "Because when you walk on centre-court and have people applauding you, and you have French flags, and you have people that say, 'You're the last French player, fight it. It's the match of your life. What are you doing? You're not playing well.' I mean, that was a bit difficult for me to listen to."
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ten...selesians.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/
My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote