Asian Player at Australian Open - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:05 PM   #1
country flag spyro

spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all spyro is a name known to all
Asian Player at Australian Open

As far as i know, there are Ai Sugiyama dan Tamarine Tanasugarn, go to the second round...
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #2
Phoenix

Phoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
hope they can find their way
to go futher (i hope they can survive
through second week)
Phoenix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:20 PM   #3
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
Out of all our talented girls, only Ai, Tamarine, and Meilen made it through!
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:07 PM   #4
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

Steveg has disabled reputation
The doubles are still to come. So wait and see. All hope is not over . Janet / Wynne will play this Wednesday...

KC, do you sometimes check your PM ?
Steveg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:11 PM   #5
country flag jirobkk

jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future jirobkk has a brilliant future
Hey Steveg,
How are you ?
I've chance to watch a couple games of Ai's and Tammy's match on TV after I came back home today. Ai played well and look stronger than Rachel. Tammy looks so happy too after win the match againt Sfar.

I'm happy both Ai and Tammy won today, but bad luck Prakusya lost. Hope she can do well in double.

Tammy play Mandula in the second round and Ai play ???.
Good luck both girl.
Jiro's Facebook
My favorite players are Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors.
Congrats to Tammy for her fourth title in Japan Women's Open 2010.
jirobkk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:31 PM   #6
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

Hi jiro . It is an excellent victory for Tammy.

For Wynne, it is a bit of a pitty as she already lost quite some points last week (#107 now) and did not have much opportunity to get points back at the A O.

And the next tourney (in Japan) is going to be extremely tough.

For Wynne and Janet, I hope they are not too down after their respective losses and will be ready for tomorrow doubles match. They have some points to defend (they reached the 2nd round last year). And if they are targetting the doubles Master at the end of the year, they have some matches to win .

For Ai, things are better since she will get quite some ranking points now (that she had lost in Sydney). She will be playing doubles (round 1) tomorrow and singles (round 2) on Thursday against Tina Pisnik.

Ai and Tine have met twice since 1996 and Tine has won both times.

First time was in Croatia (Croatia Ladies Open Apr 01) on clay
Second time was in Sydney (Adidas Open Jan 02) on hard court

So Ai has some score to settle this week with Tine . Hope she'll manage it well.
Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:32 PM   #7
country flag Kaelin

Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of Kaelin has much to be proud of
Ai and Tamarine did very well!
May be will Meileen do the big upset !
Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #8
Phoenix

Phoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
best luck to ai and tammy
Phoenix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #9
country flag gorecki

gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute gorecki has a reputation beyond repute
Come on Tammy and Ai!!!
I'm going out, I'm going to drink myself to death
And in the crowd I see you with someone else
I brace myself 'cause I know it's going to hurt
But I like to think at least things can't get any worse
[center]
gorecki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #10
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

She does not appear very often in the web pictures of the tourneys (even when she wins like at the BOWC last year . Had to complain to the webmaster and it still took around one week to get an average pic ). So here is Janet Lee at the A O :

I find actually the pics of the A O site pretty average (don't like the pics of Ai either on the official website).

Next year, they should hire Bill Mitchell. His pics are so much better .
Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:17 AM   #11
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

Janet Lee and Wynne Prakusya are out of the doubles.

Therefore, Shinobu Asagoe and Rika Fujiwara are in for the 3rd round.
Old Jan 19th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #12
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

Ai lost today in the 3rd round against Janette Husarova on the score of 62 63.

Here is an interview of her after her victory in the 2nd round.

Quote:
AI SUGIYAMA defeated TINA PISNIK 7-6 6-0

Q. You must be pleased with that, given the first set. I think you saved two set points, down 2-5 30-40; 3-5, 30-40?

A. Was it? I can't remember. Yeah, I don't know. I was tense at the beginning and, well, my tactics was to hit her forehand more, because her backhand is very good, her slice is very deep, and she can control the ball very well, so I tried to hit her forehand. But I just pushed the ball, then I didn't hit the ball very good. So even if I did right thing the ball didn't quite go into the court. And I think, when I losing 2-5, I said to myself, well, just hit the ball well and see what is happening then. I tried to hit the ball since then, and I think it's a little thing makes it so different, and since 2-5, 3-5, I started to feel the ball better and hit the ball better, so that makes a big difference.

Q. Pam Shriver and Billie Jean King were talking earlier today about the need for women players to spend more time promoting or selling the game of tennis. I'm just interested in your thoughts on that subject. Do they have a point? What do you think of their - - -?

A. Well, I think the women's tennis is now getting better and better, I think, and so many personality and so many characters. I think it's fun to watch the women's tennis. And also, especially in Japan, we have so many good Japanese tennis players, and I think I'm trying to promote the Japanese, about Japanese tennis; but I try to promote the woman's tennis in Japan, and that's a good thing.

Q. Well, I wonder why they would say that, then. The game is so successful right now?

A. Why they are saying this?

Q. Why they would be saying that?

A. Oh, I don't know. I think - well, all I can do is play my best tennis good, perform on the court, makes a big difference, especially for me in Japan. So many Japanese coming here to watch my match also, and to do well here is very good for the Japanese tennis as well. So that's why - that's all I can do right now, so I don't need to say something for promoting tennis. But they are not playing more so they just want to let the people know how women's tennis going so well right now, I think.

Q. Do you follow - are you interested in the men's competition? What do you think about this sudden elimination of the top five players in this tournament?

A. I follow the men's side, of course. I like to see mens tennis was as well. And about the top five seeded player lost in early rounds is, I think, sorry for the tournament. But it means everybody can have an opportunity to do well here and, of course, the match - every match is so tough, you never know who is going to win. So I think tough for the player, but it's fun to watch for the people here, because everybody has chance, so it's a good sign for them to get.

Q. Ai, getting back to your match: you were saying before you were tense at the beginning, and I think you said that about the first round as well?

A. Yes.

Q. Do you have a problem getting started?

A. Yeah, I think it's better because I didn't lose the first set, if I was losing a set-point down. But yeah, that's my goal, to get into the match as quick as I can, because it's going to take a time to get into the match, loosen up, relax and then play well. So that's my goal for the, all the rounds. Everybody get tense so that's part of the game, so that's how I have to improve.

Q. Does that happen to you everywhere, or just at the big ones, the four Majors?

A. Let's see. It's easy for me to get tense, but when I feel good mood and pretty good confidence I can get into the match as quick I can, so just work on my game and - well, it's getting better and better each round, so I hope next round I can play good tennis from the beginning.

Q. I haven't looked at the draw. Do you have any idea at this point who you play?

A. Now they are playing. Eva or Husarova, I don't know who is going to win, but I would like to see this match then.

Q. Do you have any preference?

A. No. I played Husarova in Indian Wells last year and I won. But I haven't played Eva for a long time I guess, and either one of them, I just play my tennis then. It's going to be a ground stroke anyway, so it's good for me.

Q. Thank you?

A. Thanks.

Q. Could you speak a little bit about your opponent. You played her recently in Sydney and you lost. What was different today?

A. Mentally, physically, preparation was very different. And also tactics was different. The main thing is tactics. I think I was playing to her backhand in Sydney, then she control - actually, she control the game almost every point with the slice. She controlled the ball very good, and moved me around the court. So today I decide to hit her more forehand, and tried to, dominate the game, and you know, play aggressive. Mentally, I was very into it. I mean, from the beginning of the first set was tense, but till then I loosen up and I play really good in second set, so it was very different.

Q. I think the crucial point was when you were saving set points in first set, turned the match around for you?

A. Sorry, in the first set - - -

Q. In the first set you were saving I think two set points, do you think that was the turning point of the match? You got confidence from that?

A. No, not really. I didn't really remember she had much set points, and I just tried to play like this motion, that moment, moment, and I was just pushing the ball, then I didn't hit the ball good. So I just change it, then hit the ball and if it's in, good; but if it's out then you have to correct something. But I just start to feel more confidence in my shot at the, when I was losing 3-5, 2-5, 3-5. Then I tried to hit the ball and it went well.
Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #13
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

Excellent performance of Shinobu / Rika in the women doubles 3rd round :

Shinobu Asagoe (JPN) / Rika Fujiwara (JPN)
def.
Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)[3] / Paola Suarez (ARG)[3]

6/0 6/4

Shinobu is improving her last year performance (3rd round).

Next match could be against Martina Hingis / Anna Kournikova in QF.