Analysis of Top Teams - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #16
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: Analysis of Top Teams

I'm going to update my analysis in a bit taking into consideration fall play. In the meantime though we got a preview of Stanford's line-up this weekened when they played Hawaii. They left some players out of singles to give everyone an opportunity to play but I imagine Durkin will play No. 1 or No. 2 and Deason will play either No. 4 or No. 5 if they put her behind Barte. Those are most definitely not the real doubles pairing either.

Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Bihag/Kobuch (UH) def. Burdette/Deason (STAN), 9-7
2. Durkin/Hodzic (STAN) def. Sandborn/Tanaka (UH), 8-2
3. UH Forfeit

Singles (each match worth one team point)
1. No. 15 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) def. Sophie Kobuch (UH), 6-1, 6-0
2. No. 16 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) def. Chloe Bihag (UH), 6-2, 6-3
3. Hilary Barte (STAN) def. Julia Sandborn (UH), 6-2, 6-1
4. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Marie Tanaka (UH), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jennifer Yen (STAN) def. Brittany Beswick (UH), 6-0, 6-0
6. UH Forfeit
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:05 AM   #17
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

stanford should put durkin 1
nguyen #2
barte #3
burdette #4
deason #5
mcveigh #6

when they match up with georgia tech, i see them going down at all positions except maybe 3 and 4.
against ucla, they'll go down at all positoins except maybe 2-4.
against usc the same.
barte is a really excellent player who'll presenet lots of problems for college players. she should probably play #1 based on pure ability. burdgette's also good, but a lot of inconsistencies. she does poorly agsint good counterpunchers. ngyuen can be overpowered but is a good CP. durkin is a hardhitter but not very mobile and shaky serve. barte is def the best player on the team.
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:08 AM   #18
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

georgia tech and duke are also excellent teams. duke especially with the return of iyer, and 2 awesome freshman nze and zillinska. zillinska is a moonballer, so a good hitter can hit her off the court. nze i'm sure is very ahtlietc
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM   #19
tennis_pIayer

i expect nze, zillinska and iyer to be top 3 for duke. georgia tech is solid from 1-8. nobody else is deeper. USC and ucla also sport depth.

usc i'd expect nelson, fansler, niculesu, fink, sanchez and etakhabi in that order, with andrews and kinster as backups. i just hope the soph slump doesn'thit fansler, and that fink and niculescu put in a lot of work.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM   #20
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Iyer is back?
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM   #21
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Iyer is back?
Iyer took a year off after her freshman year and decided to come back. It'll be interesting to see how her tennis has improved. She played No. 4 her freshman year, but unless she got really good I see her playing No. 5 behind Ellah, Reka, Elizabeth Plotkin, and Melissa Mang.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #22
Tennisace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer View Post

stanford should put durkin 1
nguyen #2
barte #3
burdette #4
deason #5
mcveigh #6

when they match up with georgia tech, i see them going down at all positions except maybe 3 and 4.
against ucla, they'll go down at all positoins except maybe 2-4.
against usc the same.
barte is a really excellent player who'll presenet lots of problems for college players. she should probably play #1 based on pure ability. burdgette's also good, but a lot of inconsistencies. she does poorly agsint good counterpunchers. ngyuen can be overpowered but is a good CP. durkin is a hardhitter but not very mobile and shaky serve. barte is def the best player on the team.
I doubt Coach Lele will allow Barte to play so high in the line-up. She's a firm believer in placing her lower classmen lower on the line-up and have them work their way up as they get older. The lone exception of course was Amber Liu, who came in with exceptional junior credentials. When I saw Barte play Erakovic at the US Open qualies I wasn't impressed. Her groundies seemed to lack depth and her serve was kind of weak. Granted she does have a nice all-around game. I would be surprised if Barte played higher than No. 3.

UCLA's strength will definitely be their No. 4-6 line-up. For top schools the trend is no longer to have 3 top players but rather a stronger bottom line-up so that whatever happens on top the bottom players can carry the win. I expect it to be No. 1 Zalameda, No. 2 Lin, No. 3 Schnack, No. 4 Remynse, No. 5/6 Joelson/McGoodwin/Lumpkin. I would love to see a rematch with Georgia Tech given that both teams are solid up and down the line-up.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM   #23
Tennisace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pIayer View Post
i expect nze, zillinska and iyer to be top 3 for duke. georgia tech is solid from 1-8. nobody else is deeper. USC and ucla also sport depth.

usc i'd expect nelson, fansler, niculesu, fink, sanchez and etakhabi in that order, with andrews and kinster as backups. i just hope the soph slump doesn'thit fansler, and that fink and niculescu put in a lot of work.
Georgia Tech is crazy. I expect No. 1 Miller, No. 2 McDowell, No. 3 Johansson, No. 4 Flower, No. 5 Striplin, No. 6 Hickey. And they have very solid doubles combinations from No. 1 to No. 3.

The USC freshman had a slightly dissapointing fall season in my opinion. I think UCLA is slightly stronger though.

The problem with Duke is they have a weaker No. 5 and 6 than most elite teams, which is already two points.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #24
Tennisace

In my opinion there are 4 tiers in the top 16 teams as I have predicted. The 1-2 range has 6 top players, the 3-5 has slightly weaker singles and doubles line-up, the 6-11 range has 3-4 top players and the 12-16 range has 2 top players.

1. Georgia Tech
2. UCLA

3. USC
4. Florida
5. Stanford

6. Duke
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Northwestern
10. Baylor
11. Fresno State

12. Cal
13. William and Mary
14. North Carolina
15. Clemson
16. Miami
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #25
tennis_pIayer

The USC freshmen sanchez and etahkabhi wasn't that disappointing, but definitely not breakout like fansler and fink had in theirs. etahkabi pushed remynse to 3 very tight sets. Sanchez won the las vegas tournament at her seed very easily. Niculescu is supposed to be very good. her sister is top 200 in the world.

barte's groundies are weaker, but her serve has GREAT spin, and people in college don't hit cold winners like they do in the pros. it'll be very hard for ppl to hit winners on her. UCLA players aren't that great.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #26
Tennisace

Florida's 6 foot freshman Boonstra is sitting out her freshman year (most likely due to eligibility reasons). She will join the team for the 2008-2009 season as a sophomore.

Julia Cohen is added to the roster. She should easily play No. 1 or No. 2 singles.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #27
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Hey guys,

are you sure about Hilary Barte? Here's the latest roster photo from the stanford website...Hillary is tiny little thing! Probably as tall as Jessica but even more slight. I trust you guys, but she doesn't really have what I would call an atheletic build...not from this photo anyway. (first row, center)

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #28
Tennisace

Quote:
Originally Posted by urklerlay View Post
Hey guys,

are you sure about Hilary Barte? Here's the latest roster photo from the stanford website...Hillary is tiny little thing! Probably as tall as Jessica but even more slight. I trust you guys, but she doesn't really have what I would call an atheletic build...not from this photo anyway. (first row, center)

Barte is very tiny. I saw her play in the US Open qualies against Erakovic. From what I remember her serve was only okay (on that day she wasn't getting many first serves in and had to spin in the second serve). Her groundies lacked depth (most landed in the service box) but she did have a good sense of coming into the net. Granted it's hard to judge someone's complete game from one match, her talent alone she keep her in the top 40 of the NCAA.