Monday (Main Draw Round 1) Match Reports - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #1
country flag polishprodigy

polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute
Monday (Main Draw Round 1) Match Reports

Sorry for the delay, but here are my match reports for Monday. Tuesday's and Wednesday's match reports will come later

Michaella Krajicek (NED) vs. Shahar Peer (ISR)
This match was a very hard hitting one, but one full of unforced errors. Krajicek was very much up and down, and blew some leads in the first set. I think she was up 4-1 and then lost the lead due to sloppy errors and poor serves. Krajicek lost the first set in part due to poor serves and double faults when serving at 5-6. Peer was not on the top of her game, but improved slightly in the second set. Krajicek picked up her game towards the end of the set, and saved two match points before losing the match. The sad part is she had a set point at 6-5 in the tiebreaker but couldn't convert it.

Olga Poutchkova (RUS) vs. Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
Saw this match as Flavia was leading 6-3 4-3. She had chances to go up 5-3, but couldn't do it, and eventually found herself down 5-4. However, Poutchkova was missing too many deep loopy balls and passing shots. Poutchkova also seemed to miss every shot hit to her that followed a shot that she hit that looked like it was going out but just barely caught the line. Flavia hit hard, played well, and capitalized on Olga's mistakes. 6-3 7-5.

Patty Schnyder (SUI) vs. Anabel Medina Guerrigues (ESP)
Saw a bit of this match, it was a much better much quality wise than Krajicek-Peer, but Anabel just wasn't able to win the key points. Some good rallies and some good hard hitting, but Patty seemed to be able to close out the games better and Anabel had some key misses at the net on key points.

Julia Vakulenko (UKR) vs. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
Saw the beginning of this match, just to see how Julia played. Tatiana had really ugly blue bulky shoes that didn't go well at all with her dress lol. But she was able to win comfortably here, as expected.

Lucie Safarova (CZE) vs. Varvara Lepchenko (UZB)
A long match, perhaps longer than many people would have thought. I came into the match in the late first set and saw Safarova in a fight with Varvara on the court, but with Lucie being able to get enough errors from Varvara to win the first set. In the second set, Varvara led 3-0. I left and came back and she had to fight back for 4-4. Varvara had chances to win the set at 6-5 but had to do it in the tiebreaker, where she was able to salvage the set. In the third, Lucie just kind of steamrolled over a tired-looking Varvara who also requested a trainer be called. I was surprised by this match, Lucie was not hitting many angles or being as aggressive as I thought she would be, so she was keeping Varvara in the match. Plus, Varvara was getting to many balls. Varvara has an interesting way of hitting her shots, she hits them late as if she is shocked the ball came her way. But it works for her! Also, Lucie grunts like she is surprised like "wooh!" and Varvara grunts in two ways: 1) like she is eating cookies "mmmmm" and 2) like she is very angry "UGHH!!". So overall, this match was close and long, but not very interesting as both players were kind of hitting to one another and not really going for their shots. Some nice winners, but not as many as I would have thought.

Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) vs. Anjelika Bachmann (GER)
Saw the end of this match, Cibulkova was leading 6-2 5-2 but Bachmann had some strong play to break and hold to cut the lead to 6-2 5-4. However, Dominika was hitting hard and moving Anjelika around the court and was able to pull out the win. Dominika is a very beautiful girl and quite young. Anjelika had a cool wrist band in the german flag colours

Tetreault (CAN) / Wozniak (CAN) vs. Schiavone (ITA) / Vinci (ITA)
Only saw the first and middle part of the first set. Tetreault/Wozniak kept it close but Schiavone/Vinci held on to their break. Both teams had quite a number of easy errors at the net and at returns. Schiavone/Vinci are not THAT great of a doubles team as I thought they would be.

Ehritt-Vanc (ROU) / Rodionova (RUS) vs. Dubois (CAN) / Pelletier (CAN)
I'll leave this match report for CharlDa, but overall a good match, a very good effort by the Canadians. A very close last game in the first set, as Dubois made a net error and Pelletier a retrieval error that cost them their 40-30 lead and deciding point in the game to lose the set. They went down a break in the second but were able to recover and tie the match, something they were not able to do in the first set. However, a questionable call of a shot that Ehritt-Vanc/Rodionova hit as being in on match point cost them the match. It was sad, because many in the stands said that it was way out and it was the chair umpire who made the overrule. A great crowd, packed in the stands, cheering on their Canadian team, including one abnoxious man who many people around him wanted to knock him out

Dinara Safina (RUS) vs. Camille Pin (FRA)
After this match, I am a fan of Camille. I came into this match after the first set. Safina was playing horribly, but Pin was hitting some great shots, including many deep moonballs and some great winners. Pin wasn't just making Safina make the mistakes but was being aggressive as well. That is why she won the second set 6-3 (although she led 4-1). Unfortunately, Pin receded into pushing the ball after losing her 4-1 lead in the third set, but with the crowd on her side, got back into her aggressive play to tie the match up at 5-5, after losing 4 straight games to go down 4-5. But Safina really stepped up her play in the third set, hitting winners and aggressive shots and really attacking any mid-court shots from Pin. That is why it was key for Pin to hit deep shots and not make as many errors. So Safina was able to pull out this match, but everyone loved Pin, for she was able to get MANY balls back (she is amazing) and really played hard. Safina had a funny "CAHMONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!" that fans in the stand were impersonating towards the end of the match haha. But after this match, it was Pin who received the louder applause and she appreciated it.

John McEnroe (USA) vs. Jim Courier (USA)
I guess the organizers didn't expect the Pin-Safina match to take 2 hours + like it did, so everyone was really cold while watching this match. It didn't start until about 9:30pm. What was more surprising was that rather than playing a set or a pro-set, McEnroe and Courier played two sets, with a third set 10-point tiebreaker. So, Courier dominated in the first set, but McEnroe got into the groove and played better to win the second. In the third set, McEnroe won the tiebreak something like 10-6. Charlda and I were pondering whether this match was "scheduled" to go into a "shocking" third set tiebreak. Everyone was cold. The umpire made a funny remark when a fan shouted "The scoreboard is not working!". He replied "The scoreboard is frozen, like I am". Charlda and I also shouted "We want anna!" during the second set to which everyone laughed. The worst part was that I was wearing a thin short sleeve, shorts, and flip flops, so I was shaking because I was so cold! But we chose to wait for Anna Kournikova and good thing we did.

Anna Kournikova + others in mixed
Finally, they were smart, they played a pro-set. All players wore microphones, which made the match really funny and interesting. Anna played quite well, she showed that she still can play, as she had some great shots at the net. Her serve was so-so, she had some shaky first serves. Her returns were good too. At one point, we shouted "Anna come back to the tour!" to which she chuckled. You have to understand that during this match, many people left, as it was approaching midnight. They had a celebrity umpire, a popular Canadian sports broadcaster, John Duffy. He made some funny remarks at Courier saying he was a "Chang guy" and even sang "I can be your hero bebe" to Anna haha. Duffy remarked after midnight to the stands "Welcome everyone to Day 2 of the Rogers Cup" haha. But good thing we stayed as the match was really fun to watch and really entertaining. McEnroe and Kournikova led easily 4-1 and won the pro-set 8-4 I think. Carling started off very poorly so Anna/J-Mac had to give her club-like practice shots. But eventually she got into the match and had some good returns and sometimes even winners. She did cause a bit of a controversy among the crowd when she said her her favourite hockey team was the New York Rangers (she said she would go by with what her kids would say). Many people in the crowd did not realize that Carling is Canadian and did such a great job for Canadian tennis, but hasn't lived or visited this country in years as she lives in the U.S! Before the match, Carling and J-Mac were inducted into the Rogers Cup hall of fame. Carling thanked her family, especially her mom for travelling with her on the tour. Did you know she got married at 19 and that is why she left the tour? Another interesting fact: J-Mac played only two tournaments EVERY year he was on the tour: the Canadian Open, and the U.S. Open. He played them 16 straight times. He also got a nice guitar as a gift to replace the same guitar he received from the tournament before but was destroyed accidentally in a plane.
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #2
country flag 416_Man

416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute 416_Man has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Monday (Main Draw Round 1) Match Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishprodigy View Post
Ehritt-Vanc (ROU) / Rodionova (RUS) vs. Dubois (CAN) / Pelletier (CAN)
I'll leave this match report for CharlDa, but overall a good match, a very good effort by the Canadians. A very close last game in the first set, as Dubois made a net error and Pelletier a retrieval error that cost them their 40-30 lead and deciding point in the game to lose the set. They went down a break in the second but were able to recover and tie the match, something they were not able to do in the first set. However, a questionable call of a shot that Ehritt-Vanc/Rodionova hit as being in on match point cost them the match. It was sad, because many in the stands said that it was way out and it was the chair umpire who made the overrule. A great crowd, packed in the stands, cheering on their Canadian team, including one abnoxious man who many people around him wanted to knock him out
Problems: 1. The chair umpire never overruled the ball, it was the linesman's decision.
2. That linesman is one of the most experienced, having done Roma and Roland Garros.
3. Following the match, Dubois and Pelletier gave the linesman one of the most sour looks and said "good job". That was very rude, especially considering they had an awful angle at the ball.
4. Pelletier and Dubois starting pointing to ball marks- PROBLEM: the volley was a lob-volley, that would barely make a ball mark on clay, let alone hardcourt.
5 From a tennis standpoint, P and D looked utterly foolish, and even Rodionova looked annoyed with their petty complaints.
416_Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #3
country flag polishprodigy

polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416_Man View Post
Problems: 1. The chair umpire never overruled the ball, it was the linesman's decision.
2. That linesman is one of the most experienced, having done Roma and Roland Garros.
3. Following the match, Dubois and Pelletier gave the linesman one of the most sour looks and said "good job". That was very rude, especially considering they had an awful angle at the ball.
4. Pelletier and Dubois starting pointing to ball marks- PROBLEM: the volley was a lob-volley, that would barely make a ball mark on clay, let alone hardcourt.
5 From a tennis standpoint, P and D looked utterly foolish, and even Rodionova looked annoyed with their petty complaints.
Well Charlda was right by the side of the court where the ball landed, and he saw it as out! And you are right, it was not an overrule, the umpire went with the call of the linesman.
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416_Man View Post
You know I am biased Jesse, but I was standing RIGHT on that line. That ball was clearly 2-3 inches out at least. The linejudge had Steph or Mara right in front of his eyes, so it was the umpire's job to call it and she didn't. The entire row of people who were in front of me started being happy and clapping the moment the ball touched the ground, cause everyone knew it was out.

As for the mark, the ball was not a floaty volley, but it was a hard-hit forehand volley, which would do a mark.

Steph and Marie-Eve had worked incredibly hard all match, they had chances, it was just sad that it had to end this way. They didn't complain for the entire match, it was just quite sad that it happened at 40-30 at 6-4 5-4.
Overall it was a great effort from Steph/Mara, probably the best match played by two canadians I have ever seen.