The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Page 57 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM   #841
country flag bronco

bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice
Re: The Gabriela Sabatini Thread!

the whole lesbian topic just shows up how stupid some of you really are.

you do not know Gaby you are not in her circle and yet you make such definate statements that she must be a lesbian just cause she is the age she is and not married.

have none of you ever heard of living a discreet life? just cause she is famous and wealthy does not mean she has to show all aspects of her life to the media.

she is not a media seeking ho like J.Lo or Jolie.

as regards her interviews being dull and the same. is it Gaby's fault that the journalists are stupid? all they want to do is remind her of the french open match against Mary Joe and try to make fun of her for losing it. or asking her about what she thinks of Steffi.

if you respect Gaby you will stop posting stupid comments about her sexual preference and saying her interviews are boring. and just be happy when we do get some news.

however if you don't respect her then you will keep on banging on about her being gay cause some of you are obsessed with it you wish it was true even though there is no evidence except for the nonsense some of you come up with.
bronco is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #842
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, since she sells perfume, does interviews, does press conferences, etc., she does
seek attention.

She is the one who has given the same bland answer about being eager to marry, have kids, and yet
doesn't seem any closer to that than what, 15 years ago.

She vacations with her best friend, a female.

She attends public functions alone most of the time.

No guy in the picture for years.

That's not rumor. That's just putting two and two together.

IF she isn't, she's doing one terrible job of pretending to be
gay, while being straight.

The French Open of the 90's is a historical choke job by a very
popular player. Sorry, it is.
samsung101 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #843
country flag isa1077

isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: The Gabriela Sabatini Thread!

I'm gonna answer your sentences Samsung :

1)Actually, since she sells perfume, does interviews, does press conferences, etc., she does seek attention WELL, DID YOU NOTICE THAT, SINCE 2002-2003, SHE JUST APPEARS IN PUBLIC TO RECEIVE AWARDS ? NO MORE PROMOTIONS (EVEN FOR HER PERFUME WHICH IS THE ONLY PUBLIC THING SHE STILL HAS), NOR MORE INTERVIEWS IN NEWSPAPERS (CARAS, GENTE AND OTHER MAGAZINES WHERE SHE USED TO APPEAR IN THE PAST) AND NO MORE PRESS CONFERENCES... SHE WANTS TO LIVE IN PEACE WITHOUT BEING ON THE COVERS OF MAGAZINES. SHE DOESN'T WANT TO APPEAR IN PUBLIC MUCH SO YOU'RE WRONG, HER APPEARANCES ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE RARE, SHE SAID ONCE SHE WANTED TO LIVE A DISCREET LIFE AND SHE'S SUCCEEDING

2) She is the one who has given the same bland answer about being eager to marry, have kids, and yet doesn't seem any closer to that than what, 15 years ago SHE ALWAYS SAID SHE WANTED TO GET MARRIED AND HAVE KIDS, AS EVERY SINGLE WOMAN DO BUT IT'S NOT EASY TO GRANT ALL OUR WISHES ISN'T IT ! SHE ALWAYS ANSWERED THE SAME THINGS BECAUSE SHE WANTS THEM BUT CAN'T GET THEM FOR THE MOMENT, IT'S CLEAR. THERE ARE TONS OF THINGS WE DO IGNORE OF GABY'S LIFE, HER PAINS, HER TROUBLES, HER WISHES AS WELL AS HER GOALS BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT ALL THAT WITH PEOPLE SHE DOESN'T KNOW, ONCE AGAIN IT'S LOGICAL ! WOULD YOU TELL JOURNALISTS ABOUT YOUR GOALS, YOUR INTIMATE DESIRES OR YOUR SEXUALITY ? I WOULDN'T, JUST THINK ABOUT IT !! YOU SHARE YOUR PRIVATE MATTER WITH YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR FAMILY AND NOT WITH UNKNOWN PEOPLE (JUST BECAUSE THOSE PEOPLE ARE CURIOUS AND A BIT "VOYEUR" !). TO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HER (BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO) DOESN'T MEAN SHE'S HOMOSEXUAL...

3)She vacations with her best friend, a female WELL, DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE A MAN OR A WOMAN BUT IT'S 100% NORMAL TO SOMETIMES TRAVEL WITH YOUR FRIEND (IN GABY'S CASE, A FEMALE FRIEND BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN ), IT'S NOT UNUSUAL AND ALL WOMEN IN THE WORLD DO THAT, I DID TRAVEL WITH MY BEST FRIEND AND I'M HETEROSEXUAL, MARRIED AND WITH 2 KIDS, IS IT ODD FOR YOU ? YOU NEVER SPENT A WEEKEND NOR HOLIDAYS WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND ? IF NOT, MAYBE YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT FRIENDSHIP IN ANOTHER WAY ! THE WOMAN WHO WAS WITH GABY IS CALLED LUJAN, SHE'S GABY'S BEST FRIEND FOR MORE THAN 20 YEARS, NOTHING SPECIAL TO NOTICE. SHE OFTEN TRAVELLED WITH SEVERAL GIRL FRIENDS, ALSO WITH THE GUY I TALKED ABOUT BELOW, NOW YOU'RE GONNA SAY THEY DO ORGIES...

4) She attends public functions alone most of the time IF SHE'S INVITED BY COMPANIES TO PROMOTE THEIR PRODUCTS, IF SHE RECEIVES AWARDS FOR ALL SHE DID IN HER CAREER OR FOR WHAT SHE DOES NOW FOR TENNIS, IF SHE HAS TO ATTEND PUBLIC EVENTS BECAUSE SHE IS GABRIELA SABATINI, I WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND TO SEE HER WITH HER BOYFRIEND ON THE PICS ALL THE TIME, SHE IS GABY SABATINI, THAT'S HER PEOPLE AND COMPANIES WANT TO SEE OR TO TALK WITH, HER BOYFRIEND COULD BE A MAN WHO DOESN'T WANT TO APPEAR IN PUBLIC FOR MANY REASONS, EVERYONE HAS HIS OWN JOB AS WE ALL HAVE ! SHE ONCE SAID SHE WANTS HER BOYFRIEND TO LIVE IN PEACE, THAT JOURNALISTS DID BOTHER SOME OF HER FORMER BOYFRIENDS IN THE PAST AND THAT IT'S NOT FAIR FOR THE PERSON SHE'S DATING, IT'S TRUE ! REALLY, EVERYONE HAS A PRIVATE LIFE AND A PROFESSIONAL LIFE, IT'S NOT GOOD TO MIX THEM UP

5) No guy in the picture for years DON'T KNOW IF YOU DID FOLLOW GABY DURING THE PAST YEARS OR IF YOU WERE ON ANOTHER PLANET BUT SHE DID APPEAR LOTS OF TIMES WITH A GUY ON PICTURES, SHE WAS WITH HIM IN MOST OF TENNIS EVENTS, TRAVELLED WITH HIM EVERYWHERE, HE WAS WITH HER EACH TIME SHE DID RECEIVE AWARDS OR PROMOTE HER PRODUCTS (WHAT WOULD HE DO THERE IF HE WASN'T HER BOYFRIEND, SHE ALREADY HAS GOT A MANAGER ) SO, IF YOU HAVE TIME, HAVE A LOOK ON RULA'S BOARD (THE FIRST 7 PAGES) AND YOU'LL SEE ALL THOSE PICS I WAS TALKING ABOUT ! BOYFRIEND OR NOT, SHE WASN'T ALONE ALL THE TIME, QUITE THE OPPOSITE. I DO HAVE MY OWN OPINION ABOUT ALL THAT BUT I WON'T SHARE IT HERE.

6) That's not rumor. That's just putting two and two together IF PUTTING TWO AND TWO TOGETHER FOR YOU MEANS THAT EVERY SINGLE WOMAN WHO'S NOT MARRIED AT 37 YEARS OLD, WITHOUT KIDS AND WHO DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT HER PRIVATE LIFE PUBLICALLY IS LESBIAN, YOU HAVE TO WORK ON THE PERCEPTION YOU HAVE OF THE WORLD AND THE HUMAN BEING ! I KNOW LOTS OF WOMEN WHO ARE SINGLE AT THAT AGE, WITHOUT KIDS AND WHO SUFFER A LOT, THEY DIDN'T CHOOSE NOT TO FIND THE GOOD PERSON TO SHARE THEIR LIVES WITH... GABY IS FAMOUS, PRETTY, SEXY, RICH, IDOLIZED BY MANY PEOPLE IN HER COUNTRY, ALL THAT IN A MALE COUNTRY WHERE MEN LOVE TO BE AT THE FIRST PLACE IF YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN SO IT'S NOT EASY TO FIND A MAN WHO WOULD ACCEPT TO HAVE A WIFE LIKE GABY (EVEN THOUGH LOTS OF MEN DREAM OF HER, THEY ONLY SEE THE STAR SABATINI, NOT THE PERSON, GABRIELA AS SHE REALLY IS, HER IMAGE INHIBIT MEN ). I NEVER SAW ANYTHING WHICH CAN PROOVE ME HER HOMOSEXUALITY, NOTHING ! BUT I SAW LOTS OF THINGS TELLING ME SHE LOVES MEN...

Well, to be honest, anyone here knows about Gaby's life, her troubles, her joys, her pains... She decided to live her life in a discreet way, not talking about it publically and we must all respect that choice because it's normal to have a private life and to share it only with the people we love ! Knowing nothing about someone doesn't mean he/she is homosexual or single, rumors always started because people were frustrated not to know anything so they had to make up stories, we all know that. I really don't care to know if she loves men or women, she's free to do what she wants, I love her for what she is not for what she should be. But I don't like to hear comments and rumors about her private life just because she chose not to talk about it, it's not fair for her. She's a very respectful woman who never had a bad word for anyone so we should all take her as a model for that ! I'm not angry with you Samsung, everyone is free to think what he wants but I just wanted to give my opinion, my point of view about what you wrote above

Isa
isa1077 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #844
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Isa, does gaby's father have Alzheimers, or is he ill?
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #845
country flag isa1077

isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: The Gabriela Sabatini Thread!

Never heard about Gaby's father being ill , hope it's not true, he seemed to be in a good shape the last time I saw her on TV (in the Hall of fame induction), where did you get that news Toe Tag ? It would be really hard to learn that kind of bad news, I would be really sad
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #846
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
where did you get that news
It's not really news report or anything, but there was a blurb about her mother saying in a interview that Osvaldo Sr. was confused or something.I forget exactly how it was put. The way I interpreted it was that he was having problems, and I surmised he had developed some condition like Alzheimers/dementia. But if you haven't heard anything I guess I was jumping to conclusions, or something got lost in the translation.
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #847
country flag isa1077

Wink Re: The Gabriela Sabatini Thread!

I never read any interview of Gaby's mother since 1984 but, if you remember the link of the website or if you still have got that article, I can translate it that way we will have a definite explanation

I hope he's not sick, he's so nice and sweet, I wish that Gaby find a man looking like her dad, I mean his character of course ! But he's 74 years old if I recall well, I wish him to live 20 years more !
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #848
country flag bronco

bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice bronco is just really nice

i think samsung perhaps you are making the mistake that lots of people have made. you look at her answer and think she is covering up something. I've met Gaby twice both times i was impressed with how normal she is. In my opinion she is not overing anything up.

regarding the interviews yes it is the medias fault they still go on about the same stupid stuff. do you think Gaby likes having to repeat herself over and over?

i think you should just try giving Gaby the benifit of the doubt. none of us can prove any theory good or bad.

as regards the french open match it is beyond time people stop talking about it and asking her. why should she still have to be reminded of a single event in her life that happend way back in 93 they should catch up we are no in 2007 and live in the present.

just my own opinion understand i don't claim to have any great insight into this
bronco is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #849
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101 View Post
Actually, since she sells perfume, does interviews, does press conferences, etc., she does
seek attention.

She is the one who has given the same bland answer about being eager to marry, have kids, and yet
doesn't seem any closer to that than what, 15 years ago.

She vacations with her best friend, a female.

She attends public functions alone most of the time.

No guy in the picture for years.

That's not rumor. That's just putting two and two together.

IF she isn't, she's doing one terrible job of pretending to be
gay, while being straight.

The French Open of the 90's is a historical choke job by a very
popular player. Sorry, it is.
You are just simply a hater.

It seems what annoys you the most is that apparently she does not say anything about, well she has admitted not being lesbian (not that i care either). She enjoys being in the dark about her private life and she does not have to change that because you want to figure out her sexuality.

About the French Open historical choke well she is not the only one that has choked matches at grand slam events or tour events, the list goes from Martina Navratilova, going through Graf, Seles, Hingis, Venus and many other great players in the game that have choked matches in their carreers. And still if you had watched the match you would not be saying that. She certainly blew a 6-1 5-1 lead but Mary Joe Fernandez went from 8 winners at that point of the amtch to more than 70 from then on until the end of the match, and played amazing, that is not a choke, Gaby was beaten that day, she did not give the match away with her errors.

Even Graf and Seles have choked (blown leads in) matches against Sabatini..
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #850
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeTag View Post
It's not really news report or anything, but there was a blurb about her mother saying in a interview that Osvaldo Sr. was confused or something.I forget exactly how it was put. The way I interpreted it was that he was having problems, and I surmised he had developed some condition like Alzheimers/dementia. But if you haven't heard anything I guess I was jumping to conclusions, or something got lost in the translation.
I'm not sure about Osvaldo Sr. condition, and I only heard his wife mention in a brief interview she made for the ESPN show on Gaby the other day that Osvaldo chose not to appear as he's been growing easily emotional and moved to tears when talking about his kids lately (as many older people do BTW). No mention of illness, and I guess that, with all the crazy interest for celebrities that has skyrocketed here in Argentina a few years now, it would have hit the news if he were ill. Not sure anyway.

I've never watched the MJ 1993 match, only some points, but even if MJ was painting the lines for winners after that match turning point (Gaby's first MP), and although Gabriela did fighta lot as she did not surrender after losing the 2nd set the way she did, quite the contrary, she kept on fighting as she only lost 10-8 in the 3rd, I believe she actually choked that day, much as I regret the fact, as she also did against Kimiko at 1995 Lipton (I'd have never believed the story was going to repeat ). I don't think she choked against Seles in 1992 as Mònica suddenly raised her game at a crucial stage of the match, leaving Gabriela powerless for some games, but Sabatini had the guts to reagroup and ended up fighting a lot that last game.
Not that she did the same (choking) all of her career, but somehow her last 2 or 3 years on Tour kind of affected her status and the tennis fans perception on her, as though her confidence and tennis problems those days (especially about her serve) had been her trademark and that's not quite so. I mean, she had a brilliant career and for some years was the one true contender for Steffi Graf, even if she usually lost their battles to her (what other player didn't back then?), but she was the one who almost every time took Steffi to the 3rd and managed to snatch some wins when almost no one else could. Of course, Seles later took her role and led it to another level, but that was Gabriela for most of her career: a true contender for top players as Graf, Navratilova or Seles. I suscribe to the point of view that consider her career was divided by that loss to Mary-Joe: just check her stats and you'll find the answers.
About her French Open results, she got some great wins and has an impressive overall record, and not many players reached a total 5 SFs there (losing all of them to eventual winner), but if you consider the fact that she was barely 15 when she first played there reaching SFs and beating the 4th (IIR) seed at the event on her run, becoming the youngest ever semifinlist back then, and the way she could play on clay,the quality of wins she did have on the surface, beating EVERY TOP PLAYER in other (red or greeen) clay tournaments (OK, not Evert but they mostly play on clay when Gaby was very young), Graf 4 times, Navratilova twice, Seles twice, Arantxa several times and so on, winning or reaching finals in every clay tournament she happened to play, and she finally endep up her career without playing a singles final at Paris, at the end of the day I think she underachieved there, even if she only lost to Evert, Graf, Seles and Mary-Joe (and the Farina upset in her career darkest period). Some bad luck could have played a part, as she had to face the queen of the surface in her early appearances (maybe if she had had to play Navratilova instead it could have been a little different), then losing to Steffi in 2 SFs, especially the 1988 one as she could have been lucky enough to be seeded on the other half of the draw to play Provis or Zvereva in the SFs, or playing Steffi in a terrible day in 1991 instead of the tough cookie Seles. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee

Last edited by gabybackhand : Jul 26th, 2007 at 02:19 PM.
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #851
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
I'm not sure about Osvaldo Sr. condition, and I only heard his wife mention in a brief interview she made for the ESPN show on Gaby the other day that Osvaldo chose not to appear as he's been growing easily emotional and moved to tears when talking about his kids lately (as many older people do BTW). No mention of illness, and I guess that, with all the crazy interest for celebrities that has skyrocketed here in Argentina a few years now, it would have hit the news if he were ill. Not sure anyway.

I've never watched the MJ 1993 match, only some points, but even if MJ was painting the lines for winners after that match turning point (Gaby's first MP), and although Gabriela did fighta lot as she did not surrender after losing the 2nd set the way she did, quite the contrary, she kept on fighting as she only lost 10-8 in the 3rd, I believe she actually choked that day, much as I regret the fact, as she also did against Kimiko at 1995 Lipton (I'd have never believed the story was going to repeat ). I don't think she choked against Seles in 1992 as Mònica suddenly raised her game at a crucial stage of the match, leaving Gabriela powerless for some games, but Sabatini had the guts to reagroup and ended up fighting a lot that last game.
Not that she did the same (choking) all of her career, but somehow her last 2 or 3 years on Tour kind of affected her status and the tennis fans perception on her, as though her confidence and tennis problems those days (especially about her serve) had been her trademark and that's not quite so. I mean, she had a brilliant career and for some years was the one true contender for Steffi Graf, even if she usually lost their battles to her (what other player didn't back then?), but she was the one who almost every time took Steffi to the 3rd and managed to snatch some wins when almost no one else could. Of course, Seles later took her role and led it to another level, but that was Gabriela for most of her career: a true contender for top players as Graf, Navratilova or Seles. I suscribe to the point of view that consider her career was divided by that loss to Mary-Joe: just check her stats and you'll find the answers.
About her French Open results, she got some great wins and has an impressive overall record, and not many players reached a total 5 SFs there (losing all of them to eventual winner), but if you consider the fact that she was barely 15 when she first played there reaching SFs and beating the 4th (IIR) seed at the event on her run, becoming the youngest ever semifinlist back then, and the way she could play on clay,the quality of wins she did have on the surface, beating EVERY TOP PLAYER in other (red or greeen) clay tournaments (OK, not Evert but they mostly play on clay when Gaby was very young), Graf 4 times, Navratilova twice, Seles twice, Arantxa several times and so on, winning or reaching finals in every clay tournament she happened to play, and she finally endep up her career without playing a singles final at Paris, at the end of the day I think she underachieved there, even if she only lost to Evert, Graf, Seles and Mary-Joe (and the Farina upset in her career darkest period). Some bad luck could have played a part, as she had to face the queen of the surface in her early appearances (maybe if she had had to play Navratilova instead it could have been a little different), then losing to Steffi in 2 SFs, especially the 1988 one as she could have been lucky enough to be seeded on the other half of the draw to play Provis or Zvereva in the SFs, or playing Steffi in a terrible day in 1991 instead of the tough cookie Seles. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
One thing is to choke (threw the match away by not being able to hit the ball into the court, well by errors) and one thing is a comeback by a player who down and out of the match starts to hit winners all over the place that was what Mary Joe did.
The Roland Garros match was a comeback win by Mary Joe and the Miami 1995 match was a complete CHOKE in every sense of that word. THe 1992 Seles match at Roland Garros was another comeback win, same as the WImbledon 1991 final. To say she choked those matches is just ..
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #852
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

That's what I'm saying about the 1992 French semi, most of the credit goes for Seles, and credit for Gabriela too for fighting until the end (that great smash she hit then comes to my mind )
Wimbledon 1991 was also a great recovery from Steffi, even if Gabriela was so close to win, but Gaby did not choke that time, it could have gone either way.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #853
Sabatini lover Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
That's what I'm saying about the 1992 French semi, most of the credit goes for Seles, and credit for Gabriela too for fighting until the end (that great smash she hit then comes to my mind )
Wimbledon 1991 was also a great recovery from Steffi, even if Gabriela was so close to win, but Gaby did not choke that time, it could have gone either way.
Exactly what i am telling you is that the 1993 QF vs Mary Joe was not as much of a choke in fact it had very little of choke (probably the 2 doubles faults in a row after having match point) because from 6-1 5-1 Mary Joe started to hit winners all over the place, Gaby fought, in fact she served for it in the third set as well, but not quite, just was not to be.
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #854
country flag Borat72

Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
the whole lesbian topic just shows up how stupid some of you really are.

you do not know Gaby you are not in her circle and yet you make such definate statements that she must be a lesbian just cause she is the age she is and not married.

have none of you ever heard of living a discreet life? just cause she is famous and wealthy does not mean she has to show all aspects of her life to the media.

she is not a media seeking ho like J.Lo or Jolie.

as regards her interviews being dull and the same. is it Gaby's fault that the journalists are stupid? all they want to do is remind her of the french open match against Mary Joe and try to make fun of her for losing it. or asking her about what she thinks of Steffi.

if you respect Gaby you will stop posting stupid comments about her sexual preference and saying her interviews are boring. and just be happy when we do get some news.

however if you don't respect her then you will keep on banging on about her being gay cause some of you are obsessed with it you wish it was true even though there is no evidence except for the nonsense some of you come up with.

Gaby prefering women would be cool with me. After all I do the same.
And I wouldn't like her less. It would only add to her mystique.
Borat72 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #855
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute

1991 Wimby, 93 French, Date match at Lipton - are all very real chokes.
Sorry, they are. She was ahead, she had momentum, she always had the
crowd behind her, and she gagged it away. Steffi is brilliant, and yes,
she had Gabby's number. But, Gabby had her on the ropes in the Wimby
final, and that was really her prime in her career (GS, not Steffi).
She was never quite the same player after that.

She deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for her on court, and off court
tennis contributions. Completely agree. It's not a hall of fame just for
titles and wins, it's about the entire tennis career. Same for Rafter.

As for her personal life, I'm not saying anything newspapers and tabloids
and online sources have not said for years and years. Does it really matter?
No. But, it's something she mentions herself regularly when asked, or when not
asked to present an image she wants.
samsung101 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread