Was 2002 a good year for Asians?? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:04 PM   #16
country flag King Aaron
Team WTAworld
Mr. Try Too Hard

King Aaron has disabled reputation
Lindsay is a good example
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #17
niratti

niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point niratti is an unknown quantity at this point
but i don't think her knee is in a serious condition as Lindsay's last year!! Hope she will get well sone.

Lindsay Davenport Andre Agassi

"If something special happened all the time, it wouldn't be so special.'' - Agassi, Wimby 2003.

niratti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2002, 11:48 PM   #18
Eric_tennis

Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light Eric_tennis is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Steveg
Eric, have you read recently any news about her condition? Knee injuries can be very bad and take a lot of time to heal .
I don't know much about that. I just read that she aggrevated her left knee injury during the final match. She knew she was injured before the final match,.. but who would give up her very first tour final without a try?

Fortunately, she will have enough time for recovery cause it's season ending time. She got finalist point in Pattaya so she can give up 2 or 3 25K challenger events for the rest of this year. And their team has withdrawn from the National Olympic games(domestic game) yesterday.
Eric_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:20 AM   #19
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it was a pretty good year. There were actual
televised matches featuring Cho, and Angie at the US Open.
There were more Asians in the draws than previous years.
Ai, Tammy, and Iroda may have had bad matches- but
there alot of new faces that make things interesting.

I like the fact that an Asian in the draw doesn't always
equate an easy cake walk anymore. I know alot of people
think they're pushovers such as the French, and Australians-
but it just isn't the case anymore.

As I said in a previous post somewhere in this website-
the new great tennis players of the future won't come
from the old strong hold of English speaking Western
countries anymore. Forget about the USA- are there any
good players after the Sisters? Australia? HA!! England?
Ha!! HA!! South Africa? HA!! HA!!

The best players will come from elsewhere. Look at Eleni D
the Greek. Is there anybody in the USA at that potential
right now? NO! The tour will have more diverse countries
represented than ever. Asia hasn't even touched the surface
in potential WTA tour candidates yet.

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH

Last edited by Greenout : Nov 15th, 2002 at 11:04 AM.
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:12 AM   #20
country flag Benny

Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all Benny is a name known to all
I think you could describe Tammy's season as great in the first half, getting to #19 in the world, but just average in the second half.
Ai had a bit of a mixed season, but won some good matches.
Iroda aswell could be described as a mixed season, loosing to players you woudn't think she would lose to at all, then she gives Tammy a lesson 6-1 6-3.
Cho had a really good season and will probaly keep improving.
Widjaja had a pretty good year with a title win and should be happy with that
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM   #21
country flag V.Melb

V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute
"I like the fact that an Asian in the draw doesn't always
equate an easy cake walk anymore. I know alot of people
think they're pushovers such as the French, and Australians-
but it just in the case anymore. "

I agree with that concept very much. Facing Tammy, Ai, Angie ---- or even Cho and Prakusya are BAD draws for the players of other nations.

Smashnova, Barna, Suarez, Serna, STEVENSON, MYSKINA and Chladkova are just some of the western and euro players that have fallen to asian players in the slams. Prakusya always seems to give her opponent rotten hell before she goes down in a slam. She fights to the death! Sugiyama took Seles to three.... Cho took Seles to 3 in a brilliant match.
Capriati was beaten by Sugiyama .... Tanasugarn took Jenn to 3.
Angie Widjaja takes another title beating Panova.
Cho shows equal consistency and determination in beating very talented an powerful Krasnoroutskaya..... also Cho beat ultra talented french Bartoli this year.
Prakusya has no yet utilised all her potential.... but has kept a winning record in singles this year.
Tammy makes 4th round Wimby again ... aslo 3rd round at the french! Jie Zhengs ranking has risen. there is generally a density of asian players in slams that we haven't seen for a while...Obata's ranking has risen despite some inconsistent losses.
I think the year has not been great for many individual players....but great for asian women in general.

And Paradorn - don't get me started! hes on fire!
V.Melb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote