Favorite Tennis Commentators - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future
Favorite Tennis Commentators

Mine of course is Chris along with Tony Trabert (from the old days -- he was very amusing and I got some great tips to improve my game). I also get a kick out of Johnny McEnroe. Martina Navratilova is amusing.

Of the new crop on ESPN2 and TTC, I can "stand" Mary Joe and Pam (although she's kinda weak as commentator), but the guys are pretty pathetic (I hated Brad Gilbert) other than Cliff(ie) Drysdale.

I thought ChrissieE began her commentating a little stiff and didn't delve too deep into the technial aspects of players games enough at first, also it felt as if she and Johnny Mc were at odds in the beginning (John was still in his why are women commentating men's matches). But towards the mid to late 90's, she was not only very good but quite amusing and educational as well. I used to love how John would call her Chrissie in that brusque New York way and she would come back with that elongated JJJOoooHHHNNNN. If anyone can recommend some matches that you enjoyed with Chris as commentator, please do.

Commentator who gets on my nerves most -- Mary Carillo! Since 1983! Commentators who I thought were the dryest -- Billie Jean King and Arthur Ashe, even though I was glued to the TV watching both to learn more about tennis history from their perspective.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #2
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Favorite Tennis Commentators

I like Mary Carillo, and John McEnroe - together.

Dick Enberg at Wimbledon was always good.

I have had enough of Bud Collins on tv.

Mary Joe is dry.

The Jensens are pretty amusing if nothing else.
samsung101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #3
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

I liked Pat Summerall and Tony Trabert. Bill McAtee. John McEnroe. The guy who did Wimbledon for the BBC. JIm Simpson. Barry Tompkins.

I hated the most. JoAnne Russell.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all

You're lucky you didn't grow up in the UK, as I did. We had bumbling Dan Maskell until the guy finally keeled over at about age 295 and for the women's matches, for years and years he was joined by Shirley Bloomer-Brasher who was more inept than you could ever imagine and had a voice totally unsuitable for TV viewers. From 1970 onwards, Ann Haydon Jones was the key voice for the women alongside Dan, and eventually Virginia Wade pushed Shirley out and then after a few years working together, ultimately pushed Jones out too. Talking in that odd, strangled, accent of hers, Wade was never much fun to listen to. Over on BBC radio, Max Robertson and Christine Truman Janes always had much more fun and provided interesting and amusing commentaries. Their soft voices worked so well together.

I never particularly liked Chris Evert in the booth. She was too self-glorying and seemed only ever to relate what was going on on the court to her own past achievements. I particularly remember W 1992 when she stuck to her guns throughout, insisting that Seles was going to win the final. Right up to match point!

Surprisingly, as I'm no fan, I've always thought Tracy Austin isn't at all bad in the booth. She works well with John McEnroe.
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Ooh, I forgot Enberg and Summerall, although as I recall they both did NFL football, where I preferred them.

Bud Collins was a fav too. He could be funny -- but he could also be caustic when interviewing the losers after a final. I thought Arthur Ashe handled that situation better than Bud.

Tracy Austin -- she's not as bad as I would have thought. But sometimes her comments are whack and ego driven (in my opinion), but she's better than Pam by a longshot!!!

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
I particularly remember W 1992 when she stuck to her guns throughout, insisting that Seles was going to win the final. Right up to match point!

Ooohhh, I've gotta find this one. Thanks for the lead!

p.s. But even I agree that Chris wasn't that great back then. She got better post 95 and on in my opinion.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #7
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmy Connors is very good IMO.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #8
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually have any favourites! Most of them gossip and talk about silly things instead of discussing the match.

McEnroe: is too in love with himself, and he is also a chauvinist. Even during womens matches he completely dominates the commentating. McEnroe commentates because he loves hearing the sound of his voice, and he doesn't want to be forgotten.

Austin: Voice is too shrill and likes to play up the glamour crap the wta is trying sell. If they let her, Austin would talk about hair and makeup the entire match.

Fernandez: Could NOT stand her when she played and I can't stand her as a commentator.She doesn't seem to realize she is there to SELL these matches! When she is in the studio, and is supposively warming the tv audience up for the next womens match she gets this pained look on her face, and proceeds to poopoo the upcoming match before a ball has been struck. Now I agree that A LOT of matches are boresville, but MJ is being PAID to shill!! There are plenty of boring mens matches but you wouldn't know it by the way the McEnroe brothers, and Gilbert cheer lead the mens matches. MJFs attitude makes me want to turn the channel.

Shriver: I don't know about Pammy -- I don't mind her I guess.

Carillo: I used to love her years, and years ago I don't really care for her now though. She likes to kick the womens teeth in while making a living off them.

Drysdale: He's okay. He can be annoying with his "glamour girl" crap .

Patrick McEnroe: Someones annoying little brother who takes himself too seriously.

Chris Evert: She didn't have the voice for tv, imo, but she at least did not allow herself to be bullied by McEnroe like Austin does. It's been too long since I've heard her commentate, and I can't really remember what she had to say.

Ted Robinson: Smug nincompoop. Offers nothing of interest or value during the telecast -- is often condescending, and chauvinistic during womens matches.

I would just like to watch a match were the main discussion was the match at hand, and talk of tactics, or lack of, took up a major part of the discussion. Less gossip and less commentators. If there are more ppl in the booth than on the court there's a problem!
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #9
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Just my opinion of course.............

Excellent:

Enberg - one of the best broadcasters in all of sports
BJK - could be critical, but she also came through as a human being
Martina - as she was on the court, she wore her heart on her sleeve
Pam (not as a host but as a color commentator)
Mary (not as a host but as a color commentator)
McEnroe - is really excellent at saying what needs to be said
Stolle - I thought of him as the backbone of the ESPN telecasts

Good:

Trabert - maybe a sentimental choice, more than a performance choice
Macatee - synonymous with night matches at the US Open
Austin - I actually liked her better earlier on
Virginia - I had to warm to Ginny, but she's very good IMO
Collins - I grew up with listening to Bud so maybe I'll let a few things pass
Linda Pensk - gotta stick up for an Athens resident
Vitus - as he was on court, he was fun in the booth too
Ashe - preachy, but could predict double faults better than anyone
Jim Courier - Jim's fun

Bad:

Drysdale - a little too preachy
Connors - no feel for commentary
Chris - got better but often brought nothing to what I was watching
Zina - poor Zina, this was not her calling
Kathy Jordan - smart person, terrible commentator
Barbara Potter - see Kathy Jordan
Betsy Nagleson - a little too IMG for me
Donald Dell - was glad when he left USA

Two commentators that I wish I could hear more often were two Aussies, Wendy Turnbull and Renee Stubbs. Both were very smart and related to the players even easier than some of their fellow former pros. They sometimes gave me what I thought was a more realistic view of what was happening on the court from the players' perspective.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #10
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone's better than Jimmy Roberts from NBC.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #11
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
=OrdinaryfoolisNJ;10483423]
Commentator who gets on my nerves most -- Mary Carillo! Since 1983!
Join the club.

Unfortunately, she's one of the commentators on the Edberg/Chang USO semi 1992 and I have to watch the match with the sound turned to minimum.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #12
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
You're lucky you didn't grow up in the UK, as I did. We had bumbling Dan Maskell until the guy finally keeled over at about age 295 and for the women's matches, for years and years he was joined by Shirley Bloomer-Brasher who was more inept than you could ever imagine and had a voice totally unsuitable for TV viewers. From 1970 onwards, Ann Haydon Jones was the key voice for the women alongside Dan, and eventually Virginia Wade pushed Shirley out and then after a few years working together, ultimately pushed Jones out too. Talking in that odd, strangled, accent of hers, Wade was never much fun to listen to. Over on BBC radio, Max Robertson and Christine Truman Janes always had much more fun and provided interesting and amusing commentaries. Their soft voices worked so well together.

I never particularly liked Chris Evert in the booth. She was too self-glorying and seemed only ever to relate what was going on on the court to her own past achievements. I particularly remember W 1992 when she stuck to her guns throughout, insisting that Seles was going to win the final. Right up to match point!

Surprisingly, as I'm no fan, I've always thought Tracy Austin isn't at all bad in the booth. She works well with John McEnroe.
Agree with you on Tracey Austin. Unexpectedly I find her on-court commentary and post-match analysis surprisingly good.

Now, Dan Maskell was a tradition - so gentle and mannerly. My favourite moment was when he got excited after Ann Jones had beaten Margaret Court in the 1969 Wimbledon semi. Not to be coarse but the best way to describe it was as if he was having a polite and controlled orgasm. It was so funny!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #13
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

I like John Barrett. It's not so much what he says, but his voice just 'sounds' tennis (at least Wimbledon).

Downunder, we seem to be stuck with Jim Courier and Tracey Austin along with John Alexander, our youngest ever Davis Cupper and our nearly oldest ever commentator. I always liked Stolle and Newcombe but they're even older than JA, I guess. Hopefully Todd Woodbridge will improve by the time the others die off.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #14
country flag Max565

Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future Max565 has a brilliant future

I like the Eurosport UK commentators... Jo Durie, Chris Bradnam, Sam Smith... don't really know all of their names but...

I'm not too good with names but I like Australian commentator Kerryn Pratt.

Chris Evert was alright (during Wimby 2000 QF Hingis vs. Venus). I like Mary Carillo because she's so fiesty... hehe. I also like Tracy Austin... I like her clear, soothing voice...

However, imo, Billie Jean King was a horrible commentator... I cringed everytime she tried to say 'Aranxtha Sanchez Vicario'.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #15
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
I like John Barrett. It's not so much what he says, but his voice just 'sounds' tennis (at least Wimbledon).

Downunder, we seem to be stuck with Jim Courier and Tracey Austin along with John Alexander, our youngest ever Davis Cupper and our nearly oldest ever commentator. I always liked Stolle and Newcombe but they're even older than JA, I guess. Hopefully Todd Woodbridge will improve by the time the others die off.
Is John Barrett married to Angela Mortimer, the 1961 Wimbledon champ?