What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #16
country flag starin

starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno71 View Post
I'm fairly certain that Shahar Peer is Jewish . Whether she's devout or not I don't know.
you mean she's Isreali. Doesn't make her Jewish.

(i think that's right )
starin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:00 AM   #17
country flag Bruno71

Bruno71 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post

(i think that's right )
Right, it doesn't nec. mean she's Jewish...but I believe that she is.
Bruno71 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:07 AM   #18
country flag lielabet7

lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all lielabet7 is a name known to all

I think Sharapova is a Christian coz I have often seen her kiss the cross she wears around her neck and also when she wins, after she has thanked the crowd, she always kisses her hand and raises it to the sky aswell as her head - thanking God.
lielabet7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:12 AM   #19
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

I think she's catholic? Look how Yuri reacted just right after she won the final USO 2006.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM   #20
country flag Tie-Break

Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice Tie-Break is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno71 View Post
Right, it doesn't nec. mean she's Jewish...but I believe that she is.
Yeh - she is Jewish
Tie-Break is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM   #21
country flag souam

souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future souam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
I think she's catholic? Look how Yuri reacted just right after she won the final USO 2006.
Most Russians are Orthodoxes. I doubt she's Catholic.
souam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #22
country flag cheyk

cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute cheyk has a reputation beyond repute

What about Petrova? Do you know anything?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM   #23
country flag ce

ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute

probably orthodox
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:06 AM   #24
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold Or Levy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post

(i think that's right )
Shahar Peer is an Israeli name, but it's also a Jewish Israeli name, there's no doubt, it's just obvious.

Plus, the Jewish population in Israel is about 76%, and 20% of the other 24% are Israeli arabs (who are either Christians or Muslims) who aren't going to be called "Shahar Peer" - it's just not an Arabic name.

As for her faith, she's probably secular, like about 40 or 45 percent of the Jewish population in Israel. If she was in any way religious, life as a top Tennis player would be very difficult for her (for example, not playing on Saturday and eating Kosher)
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM   #25
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

There was an interview with Dementieva where someone asked her religion. She gave a very carefully moderated answer, something along the lines that everybody has beliefs that are important to them.

Elena being Elena, it's pretty hard to be sure what that means. It could be that she is an atheist or agnostic who respects that others may believe differently. She may be a deist or a Universalist who believes in a Supreme Being, but is not locked into a particular doctrine or traditional faith.

Or it could mean that she is a mainstream Orthodox Russian who was politely telling a reporter that her religious beliefs are none of his damn business.

Given her propensity for keeping her private life just that, I think it unlikely we'll ever know.

Myskina I know is the godmother of her coach's daughter, which would indicate to me that she is at least somewhat Orthodox--I can kind of see her as being, like so many, a "Christmas and Easter" member of the Orthodox Church, but that's just speculation.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM   #26
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax
I can kind of see her as being, like so many, a "Christmas and Easter" member of the Orthodox Church, but that's just speculation.
95% of all Orthodox Christians are like that.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM   #27
country flag Nervenbuendel

Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future Nervenbuendel has a brilliant future

I think this topic is a quite interesting one - in my opinion it is indeed somehow important; it touches the mental background of each player and has due to this a great influence on personality and character. On the other hand it is a very personal subject and some of the intelligent and decent players (like Dementieva) won't open her mind regarding their inner world to the press for some reason.

To tell the truth: We know almost nothing about that, except the fact that obviously Serena Williams claims that she believes in Jehova. The only person in the whole tennis circuit I remind telling something about religion was Michael Chang who is christian.

On the other hand: I really do think there are a lot of players which are religious in different degrees. First of all the members of the Russian-Orthodox Church and members of the Roman-Catholic Church. It is in my opinion quite uncommon that for example players from South America or Italy, Spanin, Portugal, Poland etc. are pure atheists - in most cases they are at least "low-level" believers. Could you imagine that Paolo Suarez is a religious indifferent person? I can't.

Last edited by Nervenbuendel : Mar 4th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
Nervenbuendel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #28
jeanpierre

jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice jeanpierre is just really nice

religion of WTA player = tennis. Arrive in airport, go to hotel, go to restaurant, sleep, shower, go to toilet, go to practice courts, play matchs, fly to next city. That is the religion of WTA tennis player.
jeanpierre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM   #29
country flag polishprodigy

polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute

The Williams sisters are devout Jehovah Witnesses. Serena even thanked "my God Jehovah" in her winners acceptance speech at the AO.
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #30
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all Aphex is a name known to all

The $.
And some the €.
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote