Tennis Forum banner

Sharapova GS titles

927 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SquirrelPova 
#1 ·
I had a thread for her clay court exits, so I thought a similar thread for her grand slam titles would be appropriate as we'll
1)which one do you think she played her best in
2)which one do you think she played her worst in
3)which one was between her worst and best in terms of play
4)which one meant the most to you as a fan
5)with any of her slam wins, did you feel a sense of relief

#2 ·
1) Australian for sure
2) French Open 2014
3) US Open :shrug: (I'd rank them AO, W, USO, FO12, FO14 so USO is in the middle)
4) French Open 2012
5) All of them, but French Open 2012 the most because it was her first one in forever

#3 ·
1.She played her best at AO 2008
2.She played the worst at FO 2014
3.She played between her worst and best I'd say also FO 2014:lol:Wimbledon,US Open and French Open 2012 she was good at all of them
4.I think FO 2014 meant the most to me.I was still 16 when she won 2012 French Open so I didn't really look so deep into things.This years FO definitely made me very happy and proud of her
5.This years FO made me feel a sense of relief,because I knew then that she has a slam and that she won't be slamless again like in 2013.FO 2012 obviously because she had a career slam so we don't have to worry that she has to still achieve that

#5 ·
1. Australian pips US because firstly I watched more of the AO and secondly I think the draw was tougher.

2. RG 2014, only slam win where she didn't play PeakPova tennis from start to finish.

3. Wimbledon? I don't know to be honest as apart from 2014 she's won all her slams playing great tennis. I'd go with Wimbledon purely because she had a battle against Sugiyama and wasn't able to impose her game well at all against Lindsay in the semis until after the rain delay. As great as she played and as much as there are areas of her game that have disimproved since then (movement, serve), she was still somewhat of a diamond in the rough at this stage so I'll go with this...

4. RG 2014 I think because it's great for her resume to have more than one title at the slams and this title run showed off her biggest asset: mental strength. People also forget that the matches against Ormachea, Stosur, Pervak, Halep and Muguruza showed some great play and tennis IQ (the Bouchard match was the only true shitshow in my opinion).

5. RG 2012 as after all the lost finals in 2011/early 2012 there was a lot of doubt as to whether Maria could win big titles again and it completed the career slam making her an all-time great even if her slam resume is a little shorter than it could have been with the shoulder issues.

#6 ·
1) Wimbledon, she used to have a serve, when her shoulder problems appeared :tape: :sad:
2) RG 2014, her ROS was awesome but her serve not
3) Australian Open
4) RG 2012, complete the career grand slam :hearts:
5) RG 2014, i never thought that she was gonna win another gs title when she has a shoulder injury again

#7 ·
1)Aussie Open 08 without a doubt
2)RG 14
3)RG 12
4)Wimbledon 2004 - the slam that made her, followed by RG 12 - the win that brought her back to the very top - those 2 slams made her immortal
5)USO 06 - bc she couldn't be considered as a one-slam-wonder anymore, it took her over 2 years and she was always so close in 2005 and 2006;
RG 12 - bc it proofed, that she can still win slams after surgery and still compete at the very top + achieving a career slam and making herself a tennis legend + 1st slam in a very long time;
RG 14 - bc it was such a close fight from the early rounds and a much closer fight in the final; losing to Halep would have been a nightmare to me (Serena a can take) and giving her the 1st slam title, I'm glad the haleptards (and Mashahaters) haven't got that satisfaction.

#8 ·
1. AO 08 for sure. Her display of tennis in that fortnight was crazy and impressive. She was never really in trouble in all her matches, I only remember the tight last games in the 1st set against Justine (but she was always ahead in that set from the start), and her being down 4-5 0-30 on her serve in the 1st set against Ana, and that's it. She was in cruise control in all other moments. USO 06 is a close second. She lost a set to Amelie, but the 2 bagels made up for it. And she looked very confident, fearless and cocky in both of these 2 tournaments too.

2. Definitely RG 14. She looked okay in her 1st 3 matches, but all her last 4 ones, she simply won by being so mentally tough, hanging in there with her opponents. Maria from the AO 08 would never let herself being down like that in her matches and have to dig deep to get the wins.

3. I don't know. She played well in 4 of them. Maybe Wimbledon 04? Coz she had battles with Sugiyama and Lindsay?

4. I would say RG 12. Her first slam in 4 years, first one after her shoulder surgery, with all the doubts from slam final losses in 11 and 12.

5. All of them.
- Wimbledon 04: I never really thought she could play like that against Serena in her first slam final and on grass. That was so unexpected.
- USO 06: No more one-slam-wonder!!! I think that put a lot of pressure off of her. No more Semipova era too!
- AO 08: A slam after her shoulder injury lay-off in late 07. How depressing would it have been had Maria lost in the final after all the beatdowns she gave in the first 6 matches?!
- RG 12: Reasons above in question 4.
- RG 14: A slam after another long shoulder injury lay-off. This one came much quicker than I thought. And finally she had another title at the slams. Also if she had lost the final after all the comebacks in the 3 previous rounds, and after being ahead in the final, that would have been really devastating.

#9 ·
1. AO 08 for sure. Her display of tennis in that fortnight was crazy and impressive. She was never really in trouble in all her matches, I only remember the tight last games in the 1st set against Justine (but she was always ahead in that set from the start), and her being down 4-5 0-30 on her serve in the 1st set against Ana, and that's it. She was in cruise control in all other moments. USO 06 is a close second. She lost a set to Amelie, but the 2 bagels made up for it. And she looked very confident, fearless and cocky in both of these 2 tournaments too.
This! I so miss that attitude. Peakpova.

#10 ·
1) AO 08 - Nothing but Intensity and confidence from start to finish
2)RG 2014 - A surprise as while she is known as a fighter she usually only wins slams when in really good form
3) Hard to say :p she played really well in all but was very inconsistent in her second RG
4) RG 2012 is pretty special because it was 4 years since the last slam after her surgery but in terms of what really cemented me as a stan, I have to go with AO
5) RG 2012

#11 ·
1/ Australian Open 2008, but US Open 2006 was great too
2/ Roland Garros 2014, and it was very stressful
3/ Joker
4/ Her 2 Roland Garros, because I'm French.
a) 2012 : she completed her Career Grand Slam in MY country on her then worst surface. It took her so many years to tame the "terre battue" and it was very emotional to see her winning another GS after her comeback from her surgery. Not a lot of people have thought at that time she would be able to win another GS.
b) 2014 : she finally won a 2nd title in one of the GS, and it was here.
5/ Yes, after her RG 2012

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.