Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

490K views 5K replies 229 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#618 ·
Maria Sharapova: I Feel "Spoiled" With $250,000 Engagement Ring

Way to go, Sasha Vujacic!

The Los Angeles Laker, 26, managed to keep his proposal plans -- including a reportedly $250,000 ring -- completely under wraps from Maria Sharapova, his tennis star love of nearly a year.

"He completely surprised me! I'm so lucky and very much spoiled," Sharapova, 23, told UsMagazine.com at Monday's Ace Awards at Cipriani 42nd Street in NYC. The Serbian-born basketball star popped the question Oct. 19 in his Manhattan Beach, Calif. home.

"It was very special and obviously a very memorable evening in my life," the Russia-born Grand Slam champ gushed. "It's something I'll always remember, it was very sweet."

Jewelry expert Michael O'Connor told Us that her engagement ring appears to be a cushion-cut diamond of approximately 7 to 8 carats on a split-shank platinum band -- worth about $250,000.

Vujacic did the ring shopping all on his own, Sharapova confirmed. "Thank goodness my fiance has great taste! He did good."

The sports power couple haven't started planning their big day. "We're taking our time," Sharapova explained. "Right now we're just happy to be engaged. We're both very focused on what we do and we travel alot. We're just happy to have each other!"

What makes their romance work? "He's there for me," she said. "From the beginning he respected and understood my life. We're both very independent people, our careers required that, but at the end of the day we're comfortable and strong around each other."

http://www.usmagazine.com/stylebeau...l-spoiled-with-250000-engagement-ring-2010211

Awww :awww:

#620 ·
"My fiancee" :sobbing: And you must have the sense she'd always be better off with a guy who lives on the road too and I guess SV fits that pattern alright. Let's just hope he doesn't get dropped by NBA and returns to Europe anytime soon :tape:

#624 ·
Now that she plans to get married, it's time to ditch the old habits ;)

#625 ·
I'm surprised no-one made this gif before. Maria rolling her eyes at losing to Oudin.

#626 ·
:lol:

Masha sounds so sweet when talking about her engagement :awww:

#629 ·
Assessing the forecast of these WTA stars

By Ravi Ubha, ESPN.com

For the second time in three seasons, the women's year-end No. 1 goes to a player who has never won a major. Caroline Wozniacki earned the, uh, distinction, duplicating Jelena Jankovic in 2008. Wozniacki reached only one Grand Slam semifinal in 2010.

As Serena Williams might say, Wozniacki did win Ponte Vedra Beach. Of course, she played a ton, while Williams and Kim Clijsters didn't.

With the curtain almost drawn on 2010, we pose five burning questions looking ahead to 2011.

Will Wozniacki win a Slam?

No.

Wozniacki's stint in Doha told us much. The vivacious blonde faced two power players, Samantha Stosur and Clijsters, and lost. If Clijsters didn't get nervy in the second set Sunday, Woz wouldn't have claimed a set. As much as the 20-year-old has improved the serve and forehand, Wozniacki simply doesn't have the massive weapons -- yet.

The Dane figures to face one obstacle or another at the majors in 2011. For a start, Clijsters will be pumped more than usual for the Australian Open, given her embarrassing loss to Nadia Petrova last year. Justine Henin might rediscover the joys of Roland Garros, and grass is a difficult surface to master for young players. Serena is bound to recover from her foot injury.

Going deep won't be the problem for Wozniacki. Finishing the job will.

What's in store for Venus Williams?

Venus competed admirably at the U.S. Open, despite suffering from a knee injury that subsequently shut her down for the remainder of the campaign. It's hard not to think, though, that September's tournament at Flushing Meadows was her last real opportunity to land another non-grass major. Williams collapsed against Clijsters at the U.S. Open, mirroring a defeat to Na Li in Melbourne.

Williams, at 30, can't count on her body to heal the way it did 10 (or even four or five) years ago. Further, the last 30-plus women's player to win a major was Martina Navratilova at Wimbledon in 1990.

Will Justine find her best form?

"Best" may be pushing it, but Henin and her fluid all-court game will have a much better season. The signs are certainly good.

Henin returned to practice in late September following her elbow injury, saying all the "doubts" are gone. The seven-time Grand Slam winner committed to playing in the Hopman Cup the first week of January and made herself available for Fed Cup duty against the U.S. in February.

Carlos Rodriguez, Henin's longtime coach, suspected the 28-year-old would take a little longer than many thought to win a Slam in her comeback, even though Henin reached the Australian Open final.

Can we write off the Serbs?

Yes, as serious Grand Slam contenders.

Funny, a few years ago Jankovic and Rafael Nadal had similar styles. Both were pure counterpunchers. Although Rafa has evolved, Jankovic has been pretty static.

Her serve remains a liability, and the forehand doesn't frighten opponents. She's the undisputed No. 1 at making excuses. The only reason Jankovic might linger in the top 10 or 15 is lack of depth.

Ana Ivanovic's 2011 is promising, although less so now that she parted company with Heinz Gunthardt. Gunthardt was unable to travel with the seemingly high-maintenance Ivanovic (how many coaches has she gone thorough?) full time.

Under Gunthardt, Ivanovic found some of her old form. She won a title in Linz, Austria, without Gunthardt present, so why not settle for a limited partnership? The last thing Ivanovic needs now is instability.

Still, Ivanovic should pass Jankovic in the rankings. Maybe Ivanovic will become a major threat again in 2012.

Which Russian is most likely to rebound?

Based on mental toughness, it must be Maria Sharapova. Sharapova's engagement to L.A. Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic caused a few, we're sure, to suggest her eye is off the tennis ball. Nah.

Sharapova wants to start winning majors again, and she provided a glimpse of her motivation in signing to play at the smallish ASB Classic in New Zealand in January rather than a lucrative exhibition in Hong Kong. Sharapova showed flashes of her finest form at Wimbledon and the French Open. Unfortunately, the serving woes and inconsistency lingered.

Svetlana Kuznetsova is extremely unpredictable, and the two-time Grand Slam champ had issues with motivation in the past. Dinara Safina wanted to win too much -- undone by nerves, she flopped in three Grand Slam finals. A back injury means Safina will continue to fight an uphill battle.

#631 ·
:awww: that was cute of her.

how is everyone?not been on for a couple of days :wavey:

#632 ·

Maria Sharapova said:
I just had a great 2 day trip to NY, it is always weird to be in NY when it is not US Open time. My mom travelled with me and it was nice to spend some quality time with her. The Ace awards were a lot of fun and a major honor for me. Back to the hard courts!!! Off go my Cole Haan's and here come my Nike's!!!
:cheer:

#642 ·

Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova
I just had a great 2 day trip to NY, it is always weird to be in NY when it is not US Open time. My mom travelled with me and it was nice to spend some quality time with her. The Ace awards were a lot of fun and a major honor for me. Back to the hard courts!!! Off go my Cole Haan's and here come my Nike's!!!
:cheer:
nice she spend some days with her mother but her mother doesn't live in US or what because it's not the first time she says to spend some time with her mother. she never says that she spent some time with her father..

#634 ·
I love her. She has an inability to say "off go me heels, on go my trainers". Endorsementpova :worship:

#643 ·
As you all know, I love Masha closely followed by JJ :inlove:

I found an article where JJ complimented on Masha's fashion sense. :hearts:

Anyway, if you could do one thing to make women's tennis more popular, what would it be?
I don't know, but I think it's important to have girls who look nice, who have personalities on the court and who can really draw the crowds so more people watch the sport.

You touched on fashion there. It's something you're very interested in, you've designed your own collections. Putting you on the spot, who do you think the best-dressed player on tour is?
It's tough to say. I really love fashion and I think a lot of the girls dress very nicely.

But if Small Talk demanded a name out of you?
If I could just pick one it would be Maria Sharapova.

#649 ·
That was nice of Jelena.

#644 ·
that was nice of her, when did she say that? was it after the "is her last name jankovic" line?orbefore? :lol:

and since when has maria's site been offline? being re-designed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.